BajaNomad

Do you recommend Loreto?

moseattle - 11-8-2004 at 04:23 PM

I am planning a trip to Baja and would like suggestions on where to stay. My main desires for the trip area:
- Whale Watching
- Kayaking
- Snorkeling
- Rest and Relaxation
- Hiking

In my research, it seems like Loreto would be a nice place. Not too touristy, scenic, but with the comforts that my friends like readily available.

I would love any advice on where to take a week to see the beauty of the area and the wildlife.

David K - 11-8-2004 at 07:04 PM

Well, you might stay at San Ignacio (rest, relaxation, hiking, whales) a bit since you want to pet the whales (which are at San Ignacio Lagoon, as well as others). Ignacio Springs Bed & Breakfast is highly recommended there http://www.ignaciosprings.com Then on to Loreto (or Mulege & Concepcion Bay) for the other things on your list.

Bruce R Leech - 11-8-2004 at 07:19 PM

- Whale Watching .......San Ignacio Lagoon
- Kayaking .....................Mulege
- Snorkeling ...................Mulege
- Rest and Relaxation ....Mulege
- Hiking........................ ..Mulege
Fishing ..... ...... ........... Loreto
Night Life .......................Lapaz
spend money.................Los Cobos

[Edited on 11-9-2004 by Bruce R Leech]

elgatoloco - 11-8-2004 at 09:13 PM

If you have one week total, then fly to Loreto,take a day trip whale tour to Mag Bay and a trip up to San Javier and relax in Loreto and enjoy the tranquility.:cool:

I second that advice Gato!

jrbaja - 11-8-2004 at 09:18 PM

elizabeth - 11-9-2004 at 10:25 AM

I don't know as much about Baja in general as most of the others here, but I do know Loreto, and I think the crazy cats advice is good. There are a number of places to stay in Loreto, and people feel strongly about them, so this is only my opinion. I like to stay at Villas de Loreto...they are walking distance to town, but just outside enough for quiet times, there is a lawn with hammocks, a pool, and they are right on the sea. Free use of kayaks and bicycles...the owners are friendly and very helpful...there is a restaurant on site. For snorkeling, get Rafael at Dolphin Dive Center (my first choice, we dive with him lots) to take you out...he knows every inch of the sea and it's creatures. If he isn't available, you can arrange with Victor Vargas, also a great guy.
You'll love Loreto...just stay away from Loreto Bay:lol::lol:

If you do decide on Loreto

jrbaja - 11-9-2004 at 10:40 AM

I'll tell you some cool places to go around there for the hiking part!
And, it would be a good thing for you take some flower seeds to Francisca Arce at the Mission. Tell her Herb and J.R. sent you and you might be in for a pleasant surprise!:light:

Hotel Quinta San Francisco

Keri - 11-9-2004 at 03:12 PM

is on the malecon across from the marina .Very clean and only $39.00 a night It is our favorite.Tell Gail the owner I said Hi. hotelquintasanfrancisco@prodigy.net.mx. You can email ahead for reservations ,k :spingrin::tumble::spingrin:

What about La Paz

moseattle - 11-9-2004 at 07:12 PM

Thanks for all the input - this is great!

I've been doing more investigation. What about La Paz? It seems to be a bigger city with more options for beach, the islands, whale watching day trip up to Magdalena, etc. What are your opinions about La Paz?

La Paz is awesome

jrbaja - 11-10-2004 at 09:04 AM

There is lot's to do, great sunsets, shelling/snorkeling at the beaches outside of town, shopping, restaurants, museums, theatres, etc.. It is a big city although pretty tranquil for a big city.
Loreto is a small town with a VERY relaxed atmosphere.
The two are very different from each other and I really enjoy both places.:?:
Good luck!

bajajudy - 11-10-2004 at 09:09 AM

If you want R&R, go with Loreto. La Paz is a big city and although it offers many of the things you are interested in, it can be daunting to get around.
In Loreto, there is also Iguana Inn and Coco Cabanas...not as pricey as Villas(which is also my favorite place and a non-smoking resort..just so you know in case you smoke) dont miss El Rey de Taco(closed mondays). I had my first taco de cabeza(head) there and it was to die for. Havent had one since either...I trust El Rey. If you have a car, a day trip to Ensenada Blanca would be great for relaxing. It is south of Puerto Escondido. You have to go through the little village of Ligui(pronounced lee wee) past the school and follow whichever road you want and you will come to the sea.
Have fun.

expat2B - 11-10-2004 at 02:23 PM

We just returned from a week-long trip during which we stayed in La Paz and Loreto - absolutely loved both cities for many of the reasons cited above. Traffic in el Centro of La Paz was a bit frenetic the weekend we arrived (be vigilant for the smaller-than-expected stoplights and near absence of one-way street signs), but once settled in at the posada, we left the car behind and walked everywhere - a delightful city with a very comfortable, well-worn, laid-back feel to it and more restaurants than you can shake a stick at. The malecon is especially scenic and (recently?) underwent a nearly $6,000,000 USD facelift. Recommend a stroll along Calle Revolucion de 1910 between Bravo and Reforma if you're there on a Sunday afternoon - just chock-a-block full of shoppers, sidewalk vendors, families simply caminando, all exuding a vibrant energy that I find hard to put into words ...a real treat. As to the more energetic pursuits you mentioned, we took a guided snorkeling/kayaking tour of Isla Partida and Isla Espiritu Santo, and got face-to-face with some very rambunctious sea lions. The Pichilinque Peninsula north east of town looked like it's full of mountain biking/hiking opportunities and the beaches alone are worth a trip in that direction (especially the Playa Tecolote). Our first visit and we just can't wait to return - enjoy.