BajaNomad

San Diego to Cabo San Lucas

yellow281 - 4-15-2013 at 09:58 PM

I will be driving from the border to CSL around May 24th, first time and a little nervous. Anyone else looking to caravan around that time by chance? :)

Bajaboy - 4-15-2013 at 09:59 PM

take it slow, enjoy the drive, and follow your instincts...you'll have a blast!

desertcpl - 4-16-2013 at 09:06 AM

don't drive at night

and yes take your time, MX 1 is not a interstate high speed freeway, to many people think so,

what is your time frame on traveling

yellow281 - 4-16-2013 at 09:21 AM

I'll take my time and I am flexible on dates. I won't be doing this alone - not comfortable and would prefer to wait on others :)

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
don't drive at night

and yes take your time, MX 1 is not a interstate high speed freeway, to many people think so,

what is your time frame on traveling

David K - 4-16-2013 at 09:50 AM

It is a wonderful drive... Don't pass El Rosario without topping your fuel tank (220 miles from Tijuana) and if it is late afternoon, spend the night there or before (San Quintin for example). In El Rosario, next to the gas station is Baja Cactus Motel, new rooms are amazing and surpass most American hotels in comfort and amenities at crazy-cheap prices. Print out a Baja Nomad membership card or have a Discover Baja membership for even better deal there and other places. If Baja Cactus is full... go about 2 miles to the far end of town to the Turista Motel... or for more luxury, across the highway at Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast (also restaurant & bar).

The next day, getting to San Ignacio, Mulege or even Loreto are choices depending on your start time. Remember the time zone changes at Guerrero Negro, so you loose an hour southbound.

Have a great time, and relax!:light::cool:

Pompano - 4-16-2013 at 09:51 AM

Can't offer any convoy help at this point...

...but maybe some comfort advice for your drive.

...make sure your AC is working great. Late May will be getting WARM TO HOT.

yellow281 - 4-16-2013 at 09:58 AM

Thank you all and appreciate it. Will wait to see if any other nomads will be travelling South :)

Bajafun777 - 4-16-2013 at 09:59 PM

Yellow 281 don't worry be happy no problem on your drive down with or without someone else. On April 11th we left Carlsbad at 5:30am and got to Loreto at 8:30pm. We had only stops for fuel and bathroom at the same time and ate sandwiches we made the night before in the ice chest.
We stayed at Santa Fe Hotel in Loreto and enjoyed the Dominos Steak House next door before going to bed. Back up at 6am and on the road to La Paz which we made by 11:30am and again only stopped to get fuel and use bathroom. The roadways were good with only a small road work detail that did not really hold us up. Had three military checks after Loreto and started to wonder what was up as this did not happen 4 years ago when I made this run to Cabo.
Today on the 16th we went to Todo Santos and really enjoyed the drive that only took us about 40 minutes with great road conditions. We encountered another military check by Todo Santos coming out of it but no big deal waved us through. Had a very little road work repair by the bridge a few miles out of Todo Santos but no real hold up at all. Your run on down to Cabo will only be a couple of hours and road is good according to others I have talked to in La Paz. Still in La Paz and what great weather down here loving it. Cool nights with just overhead fan very easy for sleeping comfortable. The malecon is great to walk on and enjoy others enjoying it with you. So many good places to eat and have a cold one would be unfair to name them as others just waiting for you to try them also.
Have to head back on the early morning of 18th but will get two more days staying in Las Gaviotas starting on Friday the 19th.Just having a blast and relaxing in Baja, LOL. We came down to La Paz to put a friend's ashes out to the ocean, some of you may have known Dave Murphy who lived in La Paz for over 20 years and the Carlsbad area when not there. Take Care & Travel Safe----" No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Anders - 5-8-2013 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yellow281
I will be driving from the border to CSL around May 24th, first time and a little nervous. Anyone else looking to caravan around that time by chance? :)

Are you looking for additional cars to follow you or have some room in your rig for 1 or 2 people. This is an amazing trip!

yellow281 - 5-8-2013 at 02:29 PM

Absolutely! The plan is to leave Los Angeles on or around the 30th and head to CSL. We would LOVE to convoy with people that have done the drive before. We'll have two dogs and two people so not really any room as its a Saab sedan. Are you driving down? Have you done this trip?

yellow281 - 5-8-2013 at 02:31 PM

Thank you for your kind advice. I am nervous.. its natural.. first time and all so I would much prefer a caravan if we're going all the way to CSL.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
Yellow 281 don't worry be happy no problem on your drive down with or without someone else. On April 11th we left Carlsbad at 5:30am and got to Loreto at 8:30pm. We had only stops for fuel and bathroom at the same time and ate sandwiches we made the night before in the ice chest.
We stayed at Santa Fe Hotel in Loreto and enjoyed the Dominos Steak House next door before going to bed. Back up at 6am and on the road to La Paz which we made by 11:30am and again only stopped to get fuel and use bathroom. The roadways were good with only a small road work detail that did not really hold us up. Had three military checks after Loreto and started to wonder what was up as this did not happen 4 years ago when I made this run to Cabo.
Today on the 16th we went to Todo Santos and really enjoyed the drive that only took us about 40 minutes with great road conditions. We encountered another military check by Todo Santos coming out of it but no big deal waved us through. Had a very little road work repair by the bridge a few miles out of Todo Santos but no real hold up at all. Your run on down to Cabo will only be a couple of hours and road is good according to others I have talked to in La Paz. Still in La Paz and what great weather down here loving it. Cool nights with just overhead fan very easy for sleeping comfortable. The malecon is great to walk on and enjoy others enjoying it with you. So many good places to eat and have a cold one would be unfair to name them as others just waiting for you to try them also.
Have to head back on the early morning of 18th but will get two more days staying in Las Gaviotas starting on Friday the 19th.Just having a blast and relaxing in Baja, LOL. We came down to La Paz to put a friend's ashes out to the ocean, some of you may have known Dave Murphy who lived in La Paz for over 20 years and the Carlsbad area when not there. Take Care & Travel Safe----" No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

chuckie - 5-8-2013 at 02:53 PM

Bajafuns trip sounds like a speed run to me...What happened to the no hurry part? A first timer aint gonna see much on that schedule

yellow281 - 5-8-2013 at 02:54 PM

We're in the same position. I want to get there quickly - I don't have much time off work =)

Insurance

bajaguy - 5-8-2013 at 02:56 PM

Get your vehicle insurance at Bajabound...should be an ad header at the top of this page.

Great people to do business with and a Baja Nomad supporter!!!!

yellow281 - 5-8-2013 at 03:55 PM

Yeah - all done and dusted. I think it was those guys. Made me smile because the insurance for 6 months was cheaper than the insurance for 30 days for some reason!

bajajudy - 5-8-2013 at 06:19 PM

One thing that you should be aware of is the check points.....just because I dont want you to freak out when you see the guys with the guns.
Generally they are young kids and hardly threatening.
The reason I bring this up is the first time we drove down, I was not prepared for this although there were absolutely no problems.
I usually try to stay in the vehicle with our two dogs. Only once have they made me get out.

As for your concerns about driving down....go for it.
I have one girlfriend in her 70's who drives both ways every year all alone...well she has a dog.

yellow281 - 5-8-2013 at 06:37 PM

Good to know - thank you! Reminds me of landing in Montego Bay for the first time and seeing the airport police waving around sub machine guns while chatting and laughing! Little disconcerting.. but then Heathrow is a little like that these days!

As it is.. I think we might have solved our CSL issue regarding broadband. Its a little bit spit and glue and multiple connections.. combined with a VERY good switch but I think it will do the job. We will be proud to have the fastest, albeit hacked and weird broadband connection in CSL! Anyway.. the plan is to head down there for 10 days.. see if this appears to be true and if so.. we'll stay. CSL was always the draw for me so while we've been entertaining Northern Baja.. it certainly looks like CSL may win out after all which makes me happy =)

Give It A Rest, Already!

Bajahowodd - 5-11-2013 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
It is a wonderful drive... Don't pass El Rosario without topping your fuel tank (220 miles from Tijuana) and if it is late afternoon, spend the night there or before (San Quintin for example). In El Rosario, next to the gas station is Baja Cactus Motel, new rooms are amazing and surpass most American hotels in comfort and amenities at crazy-cheap prices. Print out a Baja Nomad membership card or have a Discover Baja membership for even better deal there and other places. If Baja Cactus is full... go about 2 miles to the far end of town to the Turista Motel... or for more luxury, across the highway at Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast (also restaurant & bar).

The next day, getting to San Ignacio, Mulege or even Loreto are choices depending on your start time. Remember the time zone changes at Guerrero Negro, so you loose an hour southbound.

Have a great time, and relax!:light::cool:

You make it seem as if Baja Cactus is the number one attraction in Baja!:P

Bajahowodd - 5-11-2013 at 04:56 PM

One other insignificant tip is that when you arrive at the state border just outside Guerrero Negro, you will be told to pay $2 to get your vehicle sprayed.

It is totally optional, and you can decline.

yellow281 - 5-11-2013 at 04:58 PM

Thanks Guys - are dogs welcome at most hotels?

Bajahowodd - 5-11-2013 at 05:35 PM

It's crap shoot. Many do; some don't. Some of those that do accept dogs have limited numbers of rooms that they will allow pets. I'm thinking, in particular of Jardines Baja in San Quintin. You would have to make a reservation ahead of time to get a pet friendly room there.

Leo - 5-12-2013 at 11:18 AM

There is this Gringo-dog travel site' Not too accurrate but can be helpful. http://gringodog.home.comcast.net/~gringodog/index.htm
My experience is that most motels accept dogs, but don't expect that in La Paz, Cabo or San Jose. Those places are quite difficult about dogs.

LaTijereta - 5-12-2013 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks Guys - are dogs welcome at most hotels?

Here are some options..

http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-life/pet-care/petfreindlyhot...

Give Loreto a look when passing through...

mtgoat666 - 5-12-2013 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Absolutely! The plan is to leave Los Angeles on or around the 30th and head to CSL. We would LOVE to convoy with people that have done the drive before. We'll have two dogs and two people so not really any room as its a Saab sedan. Are you driving down? Have you done this trip?

Fix your Saab before you leave, they were not sold in Mexico and no parts in Mexico, certainly not Baja.

Both times my Saab died was on 100+ degree days when computer fried. Literally, running on a hot day led to computer just dying. Wtf?

I think Saabs don't do well in warn temps, just my opinion, but... What would a swede know about running Cars in the desert? :lol::light::light::lol:

Lee - 5-12-2013 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
One thing that you should be aware of is the check points.....just because I dont want you to freak out when you see the guys with the guns.
Generally they are young kids and hardly threatening.
The reason I bring this up is the first time we drove down, I was not prepared for this although there were absolutely no problems.
I usually try to stay in the vehicle with our two dogs. Only once have they made me get out.

Yeah well for those with dogs who have to get out anyway, here's a tip:

Don't leave anything in your center console, on your dash, glove compartment, that looks like it's worth stealing.

I lost a Swiss Army knife at the checkpoint North of Guerrero Negro. Didn't think twice about having it in my center console but should have.

When I get out, I take my Sirius radio remote, and cell phone. Before I cross the border, I remove EVERYTHING of value that is not packed away and inaccessible.

I"ve learned my lesson well. There's a bad apple in every bunch.

rts551 - 5-12-2013 at 06:37 PM

Sad to say, but I "lost a pocket knife and small mag light (both in center console) at this same check point (Tomatal).

Two Points

Bajahowodd - 5-13-2013 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777

First one. For those of us who wish to do our part for the Mexican economy, just wanted to mention the the Hotel Santa Fe in Loreto is operated by Grupo Villa, one of the largest time share developers in Mexico. They built this hotel to support personnel as they built the Villas Del Palmar South of town at Ensenada Blanca.

The rooms are tricked out like typical time share units. In fact, when they were building their huge Villas project in Cabo, the built a Hotel Santa Fe down there, too.

My beef is that 1/2 block away from the Santa Fe in Loreto is a Mexican family owned and operated hotel called Hacienda Suites. It is quite nice. Units are at or above US standards. They have a great pool, a pool bar and a small restaurant.

In my opinion, they suffer from the fact that the Santa Fe was built almost next door, and the Santa Fe has advertising banners all along the road entering Loreto to Salvatierra.

That said, if you want to feel like you're staying in a tricked out time share unit, go ahead. But for me, personally as someone who has stayed at Hacienda Suites for many years, I'll continue to stay there.

Finally, the restaurant to which you refer, which is located between these hotels is Domingo's Place. Excellent food and service. Once was called El Nido, when a family group opened restaurants in Ensenada, San Felipe, and who knows where else.

Domingo was one of the brothers.

Have never had a bad experience there.

Tip of the day

bajaguy - 5-13-2013 at 04:43 PM

Place all of your small items and valuables (pocket knife, point & shoot camera, wallet, passport, coins, jewelry, FMM) into seperate freezer type quart zip lock bags, then place the bags in a backpack along with your 35mm camera.

Whenever you have to get out of the vehicle, take the backpack with you.

Also, if there are more than one of you in the vehicle, have one person watch the search of the interior, one watch the search of the trunk.

If there are any problems with the military personnel or at the military checkpoints, before leaving the checkpoint request to see the senior sergeant (Sargento Primero) or the officer in charge (Comandante). The military doesn't want trouble any more than you do.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalaf%C3%B3n_militar_de_M%C3%...

yellow281 - 5-13-2013 at 07:15 PM

Thank you all !

winthy - 5-14-2013 at 08:31 PM

Looking for someone to deliver clothing and other goods to our charity in La Paz. Your help enables us to save the cost of shipping therefore helping the charities more. please email me at briantcp@gmail.com we are in south orange county but will go to SD if it helps. Thanks for your consideration.