BajaNomad

paloma (squirt and tequila)

willardguy - 4-21-2013 at 06:21 PM

for many years ive seen old squirt bottles in trash heaps and thought huh, used to drink that back in the 50's. now I see squirt bottles packaged along with el jimador in markets (el jimador seems to be the overwhelming tequila of choice, around here anyway).
most of the locals tell me their choice of mix is cocacola. any nomads indulge in paloma's?
( don patron noblel julio blahblahblah drinkers skip down):lol:

shari - 4-21-2013 at 06:33 PM

Oh yeah.....here in Asuncion we have the NEW MIX team!!!!! The ladies love those Paloma New Mixes...they make great roadies...especially for dealing with the pot holes on the road to Vizcaino.....but I'm bummed I have turned the expats onto them because they are often sold out now!!!jajajaja...guess I should have applied the "secret spot" mentality to them

willardguy - 4-21-2013 at 06:47 PM

well I too saw the new mix el jimador drinks and had to buy one of each (margarita, paloma, and spicy mango). paloma was by far my favorite, but they need a boost!

Ateo - 4-21-2013 at 07:54 PM

My wife and I stop at the Pemex just south of La Fonda and buy a Paloma every trip. I think they taste good and it's become quite a ritual.

Ateo - 4-21-2013 at 07:56 PM

I think there is also one called a "Vampiro".

CortezBlue - 4-21-2013 at 08:51 PM

A New Mix funny story

Many years ago, before I developed Diabetes, my buddy and I came down to San Felipe to work on my house.

He is a Marine that has been out for 20 years, but none the less a Marine.

He is also a gulper. Be it Coke, beer or wine, he is a gulper.

We stopped at the market and bought bread, lunch meat and Squirt. It was a 2 litre bottle of Squirt that had a small logo that stated "New Mix,"

No where on the bottle did I see El Jimador Tequila.

We worked all morning and at lunch we broke out the sandwich fix'ns and had one of the bottle of Squirt and 2 large glasses with ice.

My buddy, as usual. gulps down the first glass, and then the second etc.

After that he says, I think I'm getting loaded. I responded, "on squirt?"

A bit later after a few more glasses, I noticed I was feeling no pain.

needles to say, that was the end of working for the day. We finally figured out, in small print, it mentions "made with El Jimador Tequila"

I now drink Diet Squirt and Tequila when ever I am to lazy to have a beer or a Marg from scratch.

dtbushpilot - 4-21-2013 at 10:24 PM

Newmix vs Oldmix:
A few years ago we went to Asuncion and me and Juan were in the local government fishing tournament. We didn't catch the winning fish but Jill and Shari were hanging out together (that can't be good). Jill suggested that they pour a big glass of wine and join the festivities. Shari informed Jill that it wouldn't be appropriate for them to be walking around in public with booze so Jill poured out 2 gatorade bottles and filled them with wine....problem solved. A great time was had by all...

AndyP - 4-22-2013 at 12:41 AM

In Oaxaca they sell "michesquirts"; like a michelada beer but with... squirt. Various chile powders and several sauces involved, I have no idea what exactly. Surprisingly good, but I remember thinking they'd be better with some tequila!

woody with a view - 4-22-2013 at 03:31 AM

squirt and tequila has been our hobo maragarita since way back. usually enjoyed at a secret spot!

:lol:

Vampiro

jureal - 4-22-2013 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
I think there is also one called a "Vampiro".

More than just tequila and squirt.
Squeeze of lime, hot sauce, salt, and vuida de sanchez sangrita.:bounce::bounce:

TecateRay - 4-23-2013 at 08:39 AM

I think Fresca makes a better Paloma. Not quite as sweet as Squirt. It has to be Mexican Fresca - the US version is diet only.