BajaNomad

BUMMER AT BAJA CACTUS!

Pages:  1  

Marla Daily - 5-8-2013 at 07:16 PM

We are regular customers of Baja Cactus and have been for over a decade! We stay there about 10 times a year. As usual, we made our reservation by phone a day and a half before our arrival for the room we always stay in. Patty took the call. We told her we would be arriving late—at 8 PM—since we were driving from Carpinteria and it was a 12-13 hour drive. We also told her we had our Baja Nomad card with us. She said no problem, she would hold the room.

We got to Baja Cactus just before 8:00 PM, in time to see Carmen—on duty—hand over the key to our reserved room to some man who drove in with no reservation off the highway right in front of us! When I tried to explain that we had reserved the room, Carmen launched into a castigating diatribe at me in Spanish and she wouldn't stop blaming us for arriving late. I asked her politely to please stop talking "at us" and stop lecturing us, but she interrupted and simply kept going on and on. She then handed me a piece of paper with bank account numbers for Wells Fargo and said we had to make a deposit in the US bank prior to our arrival. Otherwise rooms were given away at 7 PM! She proceeded to give us Room #9 in the old part next to the highway; she held my drivers license for the room key and TV remote. Then she charged the room on our credit card, announcing she "forgot" to give us the Baja Nomad discount. The room was a filthy seedy room with broken towel bar and toilet paper holder, randomly patched linoleum floor, filthy walls and grimy floor. What a disappointment!

liknbaja127 - 5-8-2013 at 07:26 PM

Next time try Baja Jardines. Great place!

Curt63 - 5-8-2013 at 07:40 PM

Baja's Best in El Rosario is great and reasonable prices.

Ed makes a good margarita. Restaurant is great - love the hamburger, pancakes and white sea bass veracruzana

LaTijereta - 5-8-2013 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
Next time try Baja Jardines. Great place!

X2:cool:

DENNIS - 5-8-2013 at 07:52 PM

It seems, with all the recent complaints, that Antonio just doesn't care. He certainly has no respect for the power of shared information that BajaNomad affords its participants. It's kinda like having him sit in front of us saying, "So what?"
After all I've read here, I wouldn't stay in his motel.....even if it was free.

Bajaboy - 5-8-2013 at 07:55 PM

Where's DK? 5, 4, 3, 2, 1........

woody with a view - 5-8-2013 at 07:59 PM

it ain't a perfect world. why didn't you go somewhere else BEFORE sleeping there if it REALLY was that bad.....

dtbushpilot - 5-8-2013 at 08:03 PM

I stayed there a few weeks ago, made a reservation, said I would be there by 7:30 or 8. Whomever I was talking to said they would only keep my reservation till 7pm. I had already given her my name and told her I was a Nomad and that I was driving all the way from Buena Vista and was a regular customer. She said "yes, I recognize your name senor David but your reservation will only be good till 7.

I made it there by 7 and was pretty tired but had to stand there while the receptionist shot the breeze with a friend of hers. When she finally said goodbye to her friend I leaned in to speak and she held up her finger in a "hold it right there" pose, picked up her cell phone, called someone and talked for a few minutes in what sounded to me like a social conversation. If I had had an ounce of strength left I would have driven on.

The last time I stayed there I had to take one of the "old" rooms because I had my dog and all of the dog friendly rooms in the new part were taken. The dog wanted to get back in the truck. I've been traveling Baja for 25 years so I'm used to some rustic accommodations and I generally don't mind but when a room is a pigsty and it would only take a little effort to make it better that is a different story. I would stay at the Motel Linda in Catavina before I would stay in one of the old rooms again.

Sorry for the rant, I think my "grumpy old man syndrome" is acting up....."Hey you kids, get off my lawn!!!"

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by dtbushpilot]

rts551 - 5-8-2013 at 08:23 PM

I had the same "late arrival" problem the last time I stayed there. Jardines or Hotel Santa Maria have both given me better service.

mtgoat666 - 5-8-2013 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I had the same "late arrival" problem the last time I stayed there. Jardines or Hotel Santa Maria have both given me better service.

i have had late arrival problems at hotels,... helps to call from the road around 5 or 6 PM and tell them you are still enroute and expecting to arrive late,..
you got to realize that many people "no show" and the inn keeper needs to make a buck... it's the thoughtless "no shows" that ruin it for everyone else.

rts551 - 5-8-2013 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

i have had late arrival problems at hotels,... helps to call from the road around 5 or 6 PM and tell them you are still enroute and expecting to arrive late,..
you got to realize that many people "no show" and the inn keeper needs to make a buck... it's the thoughtless "no shows" that ruin it for everyone else.

I did. The demanded a credit card or they would give the room away. I stayed else where.

watizname - 5-8-2013 at 09:43 PM

Jardines.------------- Excellent.

Pacifico - 5-8-2013 at 10:53 PM

Similar experience....Curt63 and I (and others with us) had reservations and advised that we would be late. The lady on the other end of the line said no problem. We arrived after 7 slightly and our rooms were gone. The lady at the desk said I should have given a credit card # over the phone...I was never asked for one originally.

We ended up staying at Baja's Best and it was great!

güero - 5-8-2013 at 10:56 PM

I have also had a few problems at the Cactus. Where is the Jardines?

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by güero]

dtbushpilot - 5-9-2013 at 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
Similar experience....Curt63 and I (and others with us) had reservations and advised that we would be late. The lady on the other end of the line said no problem. We arrived after 7 slightly and our rooms were gone. The lady at the desk said I should have given a credit card # over the phone...I was never asked for one originally.

We ended up staying at Baja's Best and it was great!

I specifically asked if I could give a credit card number or my first born son and she said NO, be here before 7 or sleep in your truck......Well, ok, she didn't say the last part just NO!

ligui - 5-9-2013 at 05:36 AM

Looks like it's time to give the other hotels a chance :bounce: Baja Cactus has been good for us in the past . But have also noticed that the love is not there anymore . They have had the corner on the market for to long .

Phone calls while customer is waiting is a big no no . :no::no: Very Rude

mulegemichael - 5-9-2013 at 06:39 AM

we're done with them too; the no no list is long and getting longer.

tripledigitken - 5-9-2013 at 07:00 AM

Requiring your driver's license as a deposit would be the deal killer for me.

DENNIS - 5-9-2013 at 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

I'm surprised they don't want a passport.

My hope for now is we don't see a regular here crying the blues about this place three months from now.

Hey....remember around ten or twenty years back when some brain dead DF statesman commented in public that Israel was Zionist?
The word immediately flooded the Jewish communities through the synagogues, as well as word of mouth, to give tourism in Mexico a wake-up call...which they did. They quit going there.
In a few months, a representative of DF was on his knees placing flowers in front of a shrine in Tel Aviv recanting the statement.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE :biggrin: :light:

chuckie - 5-9-2013 at 07:33 AM

I just refused to give her the drivers licence.....

DianaT - 5-9-2013 at 07:39 AM

Link to Jardines

Often need reservations now --- and they hold the room. Some dog friendly rooms and some not dog friendly rooms. Great place, good restaurant that is closed on Mondays. Friendly owners and staff. AND the most beautiful gardens --- BEAUTIFUL

Link to Hotel Mission Santa Maria (former La Pinta)

Very friendly and helpful staff, very professional, good restaurant and right on the beach --- good place with rooms with good views and quiet.

Both of these are located at the south end of the San Quintin Valley, so they are not far from El Rosario.

MMc - 5-9-2013 at 07:43 AM

I've have stayed Mama's and found it OK as well. The rooms were clean and fine for one night. I my or may not eat there but I would stay there again.

vandenberg - 5-9-2013 at 07:45 AM

There is a fairly new motel just down the road, across from Baja Best. Forgot the name but reasonable, clean and good beds. Had to be insistant on having our cat there, but ended up with the end room and $8.00 for the kitten.

La Tourista Motel

Mulegena - 5-9-2013 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
There is a fairly new motel just down the road, across from Baja Best. Forgot the name but reasonable, clean and good beds. Had to be insistant on having our cat there, but ended up with the end room and $8.00 for the kitten.

Very nice place.
They've been in operation about 4 years and expanding.
Do they have a restaurant yet?

rts551 - 5-9-2013 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

I'm surprised they don't want a passport.

My hope for now is we don't see a regular here crying the blues about this place three months from now.

Hey....remember around ten or twenty years back when some brain dead DF statesman commented in public that Israel was Zionist?
The word immediately flooded the Jewish communities through the synagogues, as well as word of mouth, to give tourism in Mexico a wake-up call...which they did. They quit going there.
In a few months, a representative of DF was on his knees placing flowers in front of a shrine in Tel Aviv recanting the statement.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE :biggrin: :light:

Oh they do take passports. I remember when poor Cap't George (left NOMADS a long time ago) forgot and left his there!:lol:

Wonder where their representative is? Usually pretty prolific in their defense when things get thorny.

bajaguy - 5-9-2013 at 08:13 AM

Sounds like Antonio needs to take a more hands on approach to his business interests and spend more time in El Rosario dealing with maintenance and personnel issues.

Martyman - 5-9-2013 at 08:13 AM

Why would anyone bust their a$$ to get to El Rosario?? People! you are in baja...stay at the freekin' beach (Hotel Santa Maria or anywhere ON THE BEACH) where adventures just happen. Isn't that why we go there?
Try having a bonfire. Jeez!

Skipjack Joe - 5-9-2013 at 08:27 AM

The policy Baja Cactus is enforcing is standard practice in every motel in the US. You can make a reservation but it's only held until a certain hour, usually 6PM, unless guaranteed with a credit card. After that you have lost your room unless the motel does not fill up.

The 'friendlier' motels simply do not fill up and therefore seem more accomodating. If and when they reach Baja Cactus' popularity they will enforce the same rules.

The rudeness and the poor quality is a different matter. Yes, those less expensive rooms are substandard and should probably be avoided. On the other hand your judgement can become more severe after you didn't get the room you really wanted. The same goes for the attendant. There can be rudeness on both sides during such an exchange of words.

The obvious solution was to have reserved the room with a credit card to start out with. Why wasn't that done?

It's really a game of risk. You don't use your credit card because you're not sure about how the journey will go and whether you may have to stay somewhere else. Baja Cactus doesn't want to hold the room because you may not show up and they're out $40. There's no need to get upset over it. Just accept it or frequent motels that never fill up.

My dos centavos.

DENNIS - 5-9-2013 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I just refused to give her the drivers licence.....

It's for special moments, such as this, that you make extra licenses with your printer. Extra everything.
Copy both sides........cut them out and glue the two sides together.
Buy a 20 dollar laminator from Amazon and seal the license in plastic. Good to go.

DENNIS - 5-9-2013 at 08:38 AM

Quote:

Wonder where their representative is? Usually pretty prolific in their defense when things get thorny.

Probably trying to round up Antonio to take the stand in his own defense. That's the way it usually works.

Skipjack Joe - 5-9-2013 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

He's gathering his pictures of the rooms.

We could all help by providing links to past threads where they are.

:lol::lol::lol:

gallesram - 5-9-2013 at 08:50 AM

I also vote for Jardines; great setting, awesome restaurant next door and friendly service with clean rooms. The best part about El Rosario for me is once it's in my rear view mirror; have never understood why anyone would spend time there, but that's just me.

DENNIS - 5-9-2013 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Baja Cactus doesn't want to hold the room because you may not show up and they're out $40. There's no need to get upset over it. Just accept it or frequent motels that never fill up.

If a reservation is made, or an attempt to make one, past the hour of no return, 7-PM, that should be accommodated and not refused due to some rigid regulation that leaves no room for a clerk to comply. It's just bad business.
If travelling Nomads want this impersonal rudeness to stop, it's in their hands to pressure a change, but, as in other things down here, Americans have short memories and I'm betting this issue of the same ol' thing will die a quick death and resurface in sixty days or so.
Our group resolve has a reputation for being toothless, and that's why Antonio hasn't responded favorably to past uprisings on this board. He knows he's serving up a plate of crap, but, "They're Americans. They eat crap."

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by DENNIS]

dtbushpilot - 5-9-2013 at 08:56 AM

The obvious solution was to have reserved the room with a credit card to start out with. Why wasn't that done?

I tried to do that and was told that they didn't take credit card deposits. Others posting here mentioned giving them a credit card number to hold a room, it would be interesting to find out what the real policy is.
What I find interesting about the old section is that I assume that the same people that clean and maintain the new part do the old part as well but it looks more like a separate entity.

DENNIS - 5-9-2013 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
What I find interesting about the old section is that I assume that the same people that clean and maintain the new part do the old part as well but it looks more like a separate entity.

Sounds as though they have more than one "class" of clientele.

dtbushpilot - 5-9-2013 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Our group resolve has a reputation for being toothless, and that's why Antonio hasn't responded favorably to past uprisings on this board. He knows he's serving up a plate of crap, but, "They're Americans. They eat crap."

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by DENNIS]

I'll do my part, I'm through with Baja Cactus. I haven't gassed up at the El Rosario Pemex since the disgraceful 2 year bathroom remodel and I won't stay in the motel again.....hey, maybe Antonio is waiting for permission from Pemex before he can clean the rooms in the old section of the motel....:?::?:

Skipjack Joe - 5-9-2013 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Baja Cactus doesn't want to hold the room because you may not show up and they're out $40. There's no need to get upset over it. Just accept it or frequent motels that never fill up.

If a reservation is made, or an attempt to make one, past the hour of no return, 7-PM, that should be accommodated and not refused due to some rigid regulation that leaves no room for a clerk to comply. It's just bad business.

Sorry to disagree with you Dennis. The exact opposite is true. It's bad business to NOT have this 'rigid regulation'.

Ateo - 5-9-2013 at 09:09 AM

I'm all for a credit card reservation if needed, but how they could treat a long time and frequent customer like this??

Maybe a link to this thread should be posted on their Facebook page? If they're gonna give away your room they should tell you on the phone "be here by 7PM or else".

I guess better communication is needed.

DENNIS - 5-9-2013 at 09:10 AM

Quote:

Sorry to disagree with you Dennis. The exact opposite is true. It's bad business to NOT have this 'rigid regulation'.

How do you figure, Igor? How can anything good be gleaned from an inflexible rule that causes this much consternation on the World Wide Web? We aren't talking about an airport Hilton here.

PCbaja - 5-9-2013 at 09:16 AM

Its's amazing how many people still stay here, when there is so much better to choose from and not have to hand over any documentation as well IMO.

DENNIS - 5-9-2013 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PCbaja
Its's amazing how many people still stay here, when there is so much better to choose from and not have to hand over any documentation as well IMO.

In this case, it's partly because Antonio has endeared himself as family here on the board, through charitable work and other efforts...not to mention being supported by a few here who have their own agenda.
Sadly, that will probably continue.

Trueheart - 5-9-2013 at 09:25 AM

Another viewpoint.

I pay for the room at Baja Cactus and elsewhere ahead of time, and I have no problem with that. This is the way I absolutely secure the room I want, can arrive whenever I can or want and know that I "have my room", and I've never been disappointed. I always offer to pay ahead, and sometimes insist on it, to lock in the arrangement.

Reserving a room, especially in Baja where they often count on the revenue so greatly, means to me that if I don't use it for whatever reason, I intend to pay the innkeeper anyway. I do not differentiate between making a reservation and being obligated to pay the innkeeper for my stay, used or not.

I get one of the newer rooms in the back of Baja Cactus, and I like them.

I've also stayed at Jardines, and I like this very much also, and am treated very well there. I have had a problem negotiating the dirt (mud) road out of there back to MX1 at times. The last time it rained hard all night, and it was a quagmire getting back to the main highway.

I would like to try Baja Best sometime, from the comments I've heard.

motoged - 5-9-2013 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

He's gathering his pictures of the rooms.

We could all help by providing links to past threads where they are.

:lol::lol::lol:

Aw...c'mon folks.

No dog-piling on Davie....remember the playground rules...;D

chuckie - 5-9-2013 at 09:50 AM

I have been transiting back and forth for 30+ years. I stay most of the time, at Motel Chavez in San Quintin. Why? Because for much of that time, it has been a clean, secure place to stay with helpful friendly management. Restaurant next door is excellent. Are there newer better places? Probably. We tried the Cactus, for a change in April, when I brought my wife down. We'll go to Chavez or Turista next time.....BajaBest is a great place to eat...for sure... havnt stayed there...Thank goodness I wont have to make that transit anymore after next September...Full time Mulegeno....

Lee - 5-9-2013 at 09:59 AM

I think Villas is the best in the area including Jardines. If you're not eating at Jardines, why bother. The road getting there is rutted or muddy.

Villas has a great cafe next door and the rooms are new.

http://www.hotellavilla.biz/sanquintin/

Marla Daily - 5-9-2013 at 01:00 PM

OP here. We didn't pay ahead by credit card because Patty said it wasn't necessary when we called in the reservation. We gave her all the information she asked for (phone number, city of departure, late arrival time of 8 PM, and the fact we had a Baja Nomad card. She said OK. No problem.

It was when we arrived and got the lengthy demeaning lecture in Spanish from Carmen, that we were told we should have made a deposit into ONE OF THREE BANK ACCOUNTS IN THE NAME OF BAJA CACTUS AHEAD OF TIME. She then copied a paper, cut out little squares and gave them to us:
Wells Fargo #5969484723
Bancomer # 0168389551
HSBC #04044758639

I've ever heard of any hotel doing business this way! How would we know what amount to deposit? How would Baja Cactus know we had made a deposit, and for which room? Carmen didn't even figure in our BN discount when we were charged! Lets see: The customer is supposed to make a special trip to one of three banks and make a deposit in an unknown amount in order to guarantee a stay in an allegedly Baja Nomad friendly hotel?

How else can we serve them?

And they changed their internet access code again!

Skipjack Joe - 5-9-2013 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily

We didn't pay ahead by credit card because Patty said it wasn't necessary when we called in the reservation. We gave her all the information she asked for (phone number, city of departure, late arrival time of 8 PM, and the fact we had a Baja Nomad card. She said OK. No problem.

Well that's a different matter. If they told you one thing over the phone and another thing when you showed then you have been betrayed and have my fullest support in the matter.

It's just that making payment for a late arrival makes good business sense. If you don't show up by 7 or 8 they know that most tourists have already found lodging and they won't fill that room. It makes no good business sense to rely on phone calls or bajanomad cards.

The only thing I can say about the miscommunication is that Mexicans often in my experience don't tell the truth in order to be agreeable and to not hurt your feelings. Rather than wrangle over the phone they just say 'si' and hang up. Everybody is happy for the moment.

Personally i would never make a credit card payment for a hotel in baja until I'm there. You just never know what the drive has in store for you. I just show up and if a room is available i get it otherwise I move on. In fact, I don't think a reservation means much down there.

As people have pointed out, there are many other choices.

DENNIS - 5-9-2013 at 03:24 PM

Quote:

This is just business Dennis. You need to walk around to the other side and look at this from the other guys point of view.

No. I really don't, Igor. In the big, faceless corporate world, it may just be business, but in a struggling market, as well as dealing with a customer who is knowingly connected to a familiar network of prospective customers, some of whom are personal friends of the owner, more is expected, and the bad attitude should cost that counter hag her job.

No adjustment from Antonio serves a clear message....one that says, "I don't need you. Go elsewhere."
I hope everyone here gets that message loud and clear. If you don't, save your whining for someone who cares.

chuckie - 5-9-2013 at 03:27 PM

Yup!

BajaBlanca - 5-9-2013 at 05:00 PM

Terrible service, all around.

Udo - 5-9-2013 at 05:25 PM

Hotel Villa San Quintin as well as Jardines is where we stay when traveling through the San Quintin area.
The rooms that were shown to us in Baja Cactus, had a foul odor the three times we tried.
I'll still buy gas there and eat at Mama Espinoza's, but that is about it anymore.

Trueheart - 5-9-2013 at 05:37 PM

Tried Mama Espinosas when we came through last time. It was a Friday night at end of March. Food was average at best, and they were out of the first two selections we tried to order. Service was also average .... had to ask for chips and salsa after sitting for almost ten minutes. Our margies didn't show up until after the food. There weren't that many patrons in there, maybe about a dozen, and 2-3 on help.

I'll try somewhere else next time.

MMc - 5-9-2013 at 06:44 PM

I have stayed in the Hotel at Mama's It's about as good as any of the others. No comment on the food.

Send a clear message when necessary

durrelllrobert - 5-9-2013 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trueheart
Tried Mama Espinosas when we came through last time. It was a Friday night at end of March. Food was average at best, and they were out of the first two selections we tried to order. Service was also average .... had to ask for chips and salsa after sitting for almost ten minutes. Our margies didn't show up until after the food. There weren't that many patrons in there, maybe about a dozen, and 2-3 on help.

I'll try somewhere else next time.

bent-rim - 5-9-2013 at 06:55 PM

The silence is deafening.

Bob H - 5-9-2013 at 07:04 PM

I wonder why we have not seen a response from Antonio? Something seems very wrong here....

Bajaboy - 5-9-2013 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I wonder why we have not seen a response from Antonio? Something seems very wrong here....

I have not seen a response from Antonio in many years which to me is a slap in the face. But DK is usually quick to fill the void and surprisingly absent from the conversation.

tiotomasbcs - 5-9-2013 at 07:15 PM

Quite possible DK is trying to bring Antonio's attention to these most recent complaints! Even DK can't fight a fire w/o water? The choice is ours. I was very happy with La Turista last October. Friendly. Tio

woody with a view - 5-9-2013 at 07:26 PM

Antonio is a good man. any of you armchair monday morning hind sighters ever think there could be 1000 reasons he doesn't know about what happened yet?

a full public flogging will be forthcoming and all you haters are invited.

OP, did you bother to send an email to him, U2U-just in case?

rts551 - 5-9-2013 at 07:42 PM

Woody, the problem seems to be that many folks have complaints that are ignored. not just one (this is not the first time this subject has come up).

I for one, voted with my feet a couple of years ago.

The few times I met Antonio, he seemed like a nice enough guy, but he also needs to run a business...and DavidK (flogging and all) should not be answering for him as he is not the one accountable (at least I don't think so).

Let people vent their frustrations kinda like a NOMAD "trip advisor"...maybe he will get the message.

Bajaboy - 5-9-2013 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Antonio is a good man. any of you armchair monday morning hind sighters ever think there could be 1000 reasons he doesn't know about what happened yet?

a full public flogging will be forthcoming and all you haters are invited.

OP, did you bother to send an email to him, U2U-just in case?

I've contacted Antonio directly with positive and negative issues I've had in the past. I was not impressed with how my negative experiences were handled. Baja Cactus used to be an automatic decision for us...not so much anymore.

woody with a view - 5-9-2013 at 08:21 PM

that's fair.

i just think it's BS to go after the guy like this, that's all. personally attacking a guy who prolly doesn't even know about this incident is wrong. if he comes on here and says "screw all of you/me/us" then yes but until then.....

Lee - 5-9-2013 at 08:31 PM

If Antonio doesn't know what's going on at his front desk, is ineffective at managing and training his workers, then that's a problem for those staying at Cactus. Cactus is nice but not nicer than Jardine's and Villas San Quintin. There's no real need to stop in El Rosario going South, or North.

If I was going to be arriving late, however, I would probably call the morning of the day I was arriving, to remind them I was going to be late, etc. I do not reserve with a credit card.

motoged - 5-9-2013 at 09:11 PM

Maybe Antonio's place is busy enough without Baja nomad expectations. We have all experienced it one way or the other,

While I agree with "good business sense " comments made....maybe some of our expectations and/or sense of entitlement are sometimes out of line for the situation.

It's not really that big a deal....is it?

I like trying different places as well as returning to old haunts....but things change.

Maybe it's just another indication that the Apocalypse is just around the
corner :biggrin:

mtgoat666 - 5-9-2013 at 09:14 PM

what's the big deal? just don't stay there!

Skipjack Joe - 5-9-2013 at 09:38 PM

If you're going to complain to Antonio for not keeping your room for you when arriving late it will fall on deaf ears.

If, however, your beef is with the front desk misleading you about late reservation then you've got a legitimate complaint and should be heard.

It's a question of risk and vulnerability. Are you going to risk putting deposit for a room you may not stay in or is Antonio going to risk not filling a room by waiting for you without a deposit while others show up with cash in their hand. Each side wants to reduce it's risk. Baja Cactus is doing nothing wrong in protecting it's business interests. It is unreasonable to expect Baja Cactus to keep your room after the time given if they have potential customers at the door.

If the other motels in El Rosario had the same demand that Baja Cactus has they would have the same policy.

This is the central issue, not the rudeness of the front desk or the quality of the cheaper rooms. It's hard not to be perceived as rude when you're told you're not going to get the room you expected.

What's the lesson? Show up on time and don't expect a room if you're late.

You can try to besmirch the motel and their staff if you wish but everyone knows that if you follow their hours you will get a room and be satisfied.

And yes, Woody is right. Nomads are piling on with issues that have nothing to do with what the original post was about.

mtgoat666 - 5-9-2013 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
And yes, Woody is right. Nomads are piling on with issues that have nothing to do with what the original post was about.

god forbid anyone ever changes the subject! the nerve of some people!

peace, love and fish tacos!

David K - 5-10-2013 at 08:14 AM

Hi amigos, amazingly, I was not on the Internet between 7 pm last night and this morning to see all this...

1) Things don't stay the same in Baja and it was great while it lasted. Baja Cactus was the greatest roadside motel with the best customer service and an owner who excelled at customer service.

2) Obviously that has changed. The last time there was an issue made on Nomad about Baja Cactus (the gas station), I tried to call Antonio at the front desk without success and I emailed him at his info@bajacactus.com (he assured me he reads last time we spoke). I got nothing and didn't see anything here from Antonio. He told me he would call me in 2 weeks when he would be in San Diego (he wanted more of the mission books to sell), he never did...

3) The last time we stayed was on July 4 weekend, 2011... and all was good then. Obviously changes in Antonio's personal life has greatly affected the Motel business operation and his once strong business style. I am very sorry he isn't maintaining the high standards he had for the (approx.) 10 years he has been running the new Baja Cactus.

4) I hope Antonio comes forward to answer for his staff, and changes things for the better, for everyone. I cannot do any more than report on my many times staying there from my first stay in November, 2004 to my last in July, 2011, and they all have been outstanding.

churro - 5-10-2013 at 01:50 PM

Were you driving a Mercedes SUV? I think I was the guy who got the last room the other night....... Sorry

DENNIS - 5-10-2013 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by churro
Were you driving a Mercedes SUV? I think I was the guy who got the last room the other night....... Sorry

:lol::lol: First post and he surrenders.
How was your room? Clean?

Welcome to BajaNomad, churro.

Desertbull - 5-10-2013 at 02:16 PM

I made reservations for every room a month ago and last week our group of 65 people arrived and got into the rioms without any issues. The Baja Cactus staff also reserved more rooms next door for our crew and we paid for all of our rooms and the $2,000 dollars of gas and diesel in one swipe on the credit card. They waited on us hand and foot and Carmen was outstanding!

Antonio and Carmen both communicated with us directly and we even landed our helicopter in the walled parking lot:lol:

churro - 5-10-2013 at 02:18 PM

Oh Ya! The room was very nice for $40.00... We were in the quad room.. 2 king beds down stairs and 2 queen beds up stairs....

rts551 - 5-10-2013 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
I made reservations for every room a month ago and last week our group of 65 people arrived and got into the rioms without any issues. The Baja Cactus staff also reserved more rooms next door for our crew and we paid for all of our rooms and the $2,000 dollars of gas and diesel in one swipe on the credit card. They waited on us hand and foot and Carmen was outstanding!

Antonio and Carmen both communicated with us directly and we even landed our helicopter in the walled parking lot:lol:

Money Talks!

Skipjack Joe - 5-10-2013 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by churro
Oh Ya! The room was very nice for $40.00... We were in the quad room.. 2 king beds down stairs and 2 queen beds up stairs....

Even mirrors in the ceilings, if you ask.

Bajahowodd - 5-10-2013 at 05:06 PM

I probably posted my first complaint about Baja Cactus three years ago. Never was dazzled by marble and glass, especially when the trucks were jake braking all night.

I do find it interesting that there is a palpable turning of the tide about this place. But, don't misinterpret what I mean, in that it remains an incredible bargain.

That said, methinks that success is the problem. And, although I still try to stay at Jardines, as I have for several years, success takes its toll there, too. Most recently, I called to reserve two rooms six days ahead, and was told there was only one single available.

See. Success. Great family. (Is Esmeralda the hottest mom ever?) Good for them all. But just remember, without a reservation made well in advance, it will be a crap shoot.

woody with a view - 5-10-2013 at 05:55 PM

^^^Agreed^^^

and with an economy on the rebound and few bodies hanging from bridges these days, this is gonna seem like the good old daze REALLY SOON!!!!

mojo_norte - 5-10-2013 at 06:02 PM

Quote:

It was when we arrived and got the lengthy demeaning lecture in Spanish from Carmen, that we were told we should have made a deposit into ONE OF THREE BANK ACCOUNTS IN THE NAME OF BAJA CACTUS AHEAD OF TIME. She then copied a paper, cut out little squares and gave them to us:
Wells Fargo #5969484723
Bancomer # 0168389551
HSBC #04044758639

I've ever heard of any hotel doing business this way!

Hey it's Baja - not the US or Canada . PS - Very bad idea to post your bank specifics on a public online forum .

DENNIS - 5-10-2013 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
- Very bad idea to post your bank specifics on a public online forum .

I think those are Baja Cactus account numbers, but you're right.

woody with a view - 5-10-2013 at 06:50 PM

who's on first?:rolleyes:

durrelllrobert - 5-10-2013 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
^^^Agreed^^^

and with an economy on the rebound and few bodies hanging from bridges these days, this is gonna seem like the good old daze REALLY SOON!!!!

Surprised you are posting this late. Are you still going fishing tomorrow at 0600?

acadist - 5-10-2013 at 08:24 PM

I have always thought of the rooms on the road like musical chairs.....at 5 pm the music stops and you better get yours! ;D

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by acadist]

reneske - 5-10-2013 at 10:31 PM

Jardines now asks for a credit card to hold the room, but the rooms are always clean and the staff is very courteous. Love the restaurant. They have the best food and the grounds are amazingly landscaped.

bajadogs - 5-10-2013 at 11:05 PM

Wow. Things have changed. Credit cards... phone calls...
When in Baja, disconnecting from all that crap was the draw.

I'll find somewhere.

David K - 5-11-2013 at 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs

I'll find somewhere.

The telephone wire ends in El Rosario and does the last cell tower until Guerrero Negro!

bajadogs - 5-11-2013 at 12:47 AM

Thanks Dave,
All my crap disconnects at the border.
So there.:D

J.P. - 5-11-2013 at 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

I'll find somewhere.

The telephone wire ends in El Rosario and does the last cell tower until Guerrero Negro!

I don't think that's true anymore about 10 years ago they Buried a Cable all the way down the side of highway 1.

Marla Daily - 5-11-2013 at 06:08 AM

OP here again. Posting the Baja Cactus bank account numbers seems to be the information Baja Cactus wants out there, since they are freely handing out this information to customers at the front desk. Those are the numbers we were given; that is how we were told we had to reserve a room in advance—by making a deposit into one of those three accounts. Maybe someone here wants to use their system and make a deposit to reserve a room. That is the Baja Cactus business model of the moment.

David K - 5-11-2013 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
Quote:

I'll find somewhere.

I don't think that's true anymore about 10 years ago they Buried a Cable all the way down the side of highway 1.

That is true, but it is to connect cities along Highway One and the closest hub to El Rosario (for that cable) is San Quintin (why phone lines run to El Rosario above ground). That cable is untouched until Guerrero Negro, (I think)... so while it is buried along the highway between San Quintin and Guerrero Negro, it doesn't help you at El Pedregoso, for example.

watizname - 5-11-2013 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks Dave,
All my crap disconnects at the border.
So there.:D

Disconnecting for me used to be the playas at TJ, then it was Rosarito, then just past Ensenada, then El Palomar, now I finally feel disconnected when I get to my first nites rest at Jardines, have a good meal and hit the road fresh in the AM. That, for me is where Baja starts now. :cool:

David K - 5-11-2013 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
OP here again. Posting the Baja Cactus bank account numbers seems to be the information Baja Cactus wants out there, since they are freely handing out this information to customers at the front desk. Those are the numbers we were given; that is how we were told we had to reserve a room in advance—by making a deposit into one of those three accounts. Maybe someone here wants to use their system and make a deposit to reserve a room. That is the Baja Cactus business model of the moment.

In other words, first come, first serve... So, if the first choice is full, what else is available in that town?:

#2 choice: Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast (opposite end of town from Baja Cactus). Very nice, 4-5 bedrooms for rent run by Ed & Yolanda Lusk.

#3 choice: Turista Motel (across the highway from Baja's Best). Newest motel (~2008), very comfortable and bargain prices.

#4 and #5: Primo's "Sinahi Motel" and Mama Espinoza's "Las Cabañas" Motel... Do your own room check... unimpressed when inspected in 2005... things change!

The next option is ~25 miles north: Mision Santa Maria Hotel on the beach, Cielito Lindo Motel near the beach (both off the paved side road at the Los Pinos Processing plant & Pemex station (Km. 11 ?)... A few more miles north is Los Jardines Motel (~ Km. 2, and a mile dirt drive to the west then south)... then the motels in San Quintin/ Lazaro Card##as.

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by David K]

PCbaja - 5-11-2013 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
Quote:

I'll find somewhere.

That is true, but it is to connect cities along Highway One and the closest hub to El Rosario (for that cable) is San Quintin (why phone lines run to El Rosario above ground). That cable is untouched until Guerrero Negro, (I think)... so while it is buried along the highway between San Quintin and Guerrero Negro, it doesn't help you at El Pedregoso, for example.

That cable that Carlos Slim buried is used all the way down. I have used the internet in many small towns (i.e. Punta Prieta). Travelers may be disconnected but Baja is not.

David K - 5-11-2013 at 08:01 AM

Strange that a place like El Rosario doesn't have a hub connection to that cable, but Punta Prieta does? Are you sure it isn't satellite Internet wifi you are getting or they are using? What other villages have a hub connection to that cable (Rosarito, Villa Jesus Maria, ...)? Thank you!

rts551 - 5-11-2013 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Strange that a place like El Rosario doesn't have a hub connection to that cable, but Punta Prieta does? Are you sure it isn't satellite Internet wifi you are getting or they are using? What other villages have a hub connection to that cable (Rosarito, Villa Jesus Maria, ...)? Thank you!

Have used the internet and my telcel phone at Jesus Maria (Chakins Llantera) for a few years now.

PCbaja - 5-11-2013 at 08:17 AM

Quote:

I stopped by the the little community store one day in Punta Prieta and the young girl was on facebook, so I needed to get online and asked if it was wifi and I would be willing to pay for 10 min. of use. She said it was not wifi but allowed me to use her computer and the connection was alot faster than satellite. I must say I felt a little disappointed to see facebook way out in the middle of nowhere.

rts551 - 5-11-2013 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I stopped by the the little community store one day in Punta Prieta and the young girl was on facebook, so I needed to get online and asked if it was wifi and I would be willing to pay for 10 min. of use. She said it was not wifi but allowed me to use her computer and the connection was alot faster than satellite. I must say I felt a little disappointed to see facebook way out in the middle of nowhere.

I know, isn't it horrible to see theses people enjoying some of the same services we take for granted.

greengoes - 5-11-2013 at 08:25 AM

It is a fiber optic trunk line that runs the length of the peninsula. The ability to tap in any where for a distribution point is there. I am sure the cost/return ratio determines which, if any, hubs are built.

I guess Catavina won't be getting one in the near future. Maybe they will be on the electric grid before getting servicio telefonico.

MMc - 5-11-2013 at 08:26 AM

David, Mamas also has rooms. they were rather nice 6 years ago. Check them out. Personally haven't stopped in in that stretch for years.

PCbaja - 5-11-2013 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know, isn't it horrible to see theses people enjoying some of the same services we take for granted.

uhhh...I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Nothing to do with people or services.

J.P. - 5-11-2013 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by greengoes
It is a fiber optic trunk line that runs the length of the peninsula. The ability to tap in any where for a distribution point is there. I am sure the cost/return ratio determines which, if any, hubs are built.

I guess Catavina won't be getting one in the near future. Maybe they will be on the electric grid before getting servicio telefonico.

I know a guy that was born and has lived his whole life in Bay of L. A. we were at a gathering in Ensenada a year or so ago He was Stoked because For the first time in his life they had 24 hr.Electricity and a Telephone in his house

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by J.P.]

David K - 5-11-2013 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
David, Mamas also has rooms. they were rather nice 6 years ago. Check them out. Personally haven't stopped in in that stretch for years.

I included Mama's in my list... look again... Last time I examined one of her rooms was when Ken Cooke stayed there in 2005, then I showed him our Baja Cactus room... and he has never gone back! (look under the sink, etc.)
Thank you!

Pages:  1