BajaNomad

BUMMER AT BAJA CACTUS!

Pages:  1  2

David K - 5-11-2013 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PCbaja
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Strange that a place like El Rosario doesn't have a hub connection to that cable, but Punta Prieta does? Are you sure it isn't satellite Internet wifi you are getting or they are using? What other villages have a hub connection to that cable (Rosarito, Villa Jesus Maria, ...)? Thank you!

I stopped by the the little community store one day in Punta Prieta and the young girl was on facebook, so I needed to get online and asked if it was wifi and I would be willing to pay for 10 min. of use. She said it was not wifi but allowed me to use her computer and the connection was alot faster than satellite. I must say I felt a little disappointed to see facebook way out in the middle of nowhere.

"Nowhere" is getting harder to find!

Thank you!

rts551 - 5-11-2013 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Quote:
Strange that a place like El Rosario doesn't have a hub connection to that cable, but Punta Prieta does? Are you sure it isn't satellite Internet wifi you are getting or they are using? What other villages have a hub connection to that cable (Rosarito, Villa Jesus Maria, ...)? Thank you!

I stopped by the the little community store one day in Punta Prieta and the young girl was on facebook, so I needed to get online and asked if it was wifi and I would be willing to pay for 10 min. of use. She said it was not wifi but allowed me to use her computer and the connection was alot faster than satellite. I must say I felt a little disappointed to see facebook way out in the middle of nowhere.

I know, isn't it horrible to see theses people enjoying some of the same services we take for granted.

uhhh...I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Nothing to do with people or services.

Just wondering why you would be "disappointed" that this young lady was using FACEBOOK. So yes, I missed your point, other than you were disappointed.

PCbaja - 5-11-2013 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Very true indeed!

PCbaja - 5-11-2013 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know, isn't it horrible to see theses people enjoying some of the same services we take for granted.

uhhh...I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Nothing to do with people or services.

Just wondering why you would be "disappointed" that this young lady was using FACEBOOK. So yes, I missed your point, other than you were disappointed.

It was really about my disconnection in Baja. All my Mexican amigos practically live and communicate on facebook, so it was really no big surprise. BTW I really wasn't disappointed, just the wrong choice of word.

rts551 - 5-11-2013 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Why do you say that David? There is still a lot of "Nowhere" in Mexico and more specifically, Baja. You might have to travel through civilization to get there, but there is sure a lot to visit that is off the beaten track.

rts551 - 5-11-2013 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It was really about my disconnection in Baja. All my Mexican amigos practically live and communicate on facebook, so it was really no big surprise. BTW I really wasn't disappointed, just the wrong choice of word.

I see. Living, there I see what these services bring to the local folks and it is good... By the way, there is still more of "nothing" in Baja California than there is "civilization".

David K - 5-11-2013 at 09:09 AM

It was a humorous reply to PCBaja's comment... I have no problem finding 'nowhere' in Baja... :light:

rts551 - 5-11-2013 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
OP here again. Posting the Baja Cactus bank account numbers seems to be the information Baja Cactus wants out there, since they are freely handing out this information to customers at the front desk. Those are the numbers we were given; that is how we were told we had to reserve a room in advance—by making a deposit into one of those three accounts. Maybe someone here wants to use their system and make a deposit to reserve a room. That is the Baja Cactus business model of the moment.

I sure wouldn't deposit money like that. How do they even know what you need? Do you first call them and then make a bank transfer? Even PAYPAL would be better than that. Too many other options folks even with Jardines (one of my favorites) getting harder and harder to get into. My travel plans are always too flexible for a week in advance reservation.

El Rosario

J.P. - 5-11-2013 at 09:59 AM

El Rosario Used to be the Jumping off place if you were headed South and the Oasis when headed North, Not so much anymore with all the new construction going on and the Newer cars and trucks great improvement In fuel mileage and range It's became just another Wide Spot In The Road.to all but the old time Baja Diehards.

DENNIS - 5-11-2013 at 10:09 AM

Quote:

I sure wouldn't deposit money like that. How do they even know what you need?

It's only as good as the "confirmation." Otherwise, there's an even chance you'll get one of those patented Mexican shoulder shrugs along with a "Quien Sabe" when you arrive to register.

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by DENNIS]

Skipjack Joe - 5-11-2013 at 10:30 AM

Quote:

Thank you!

Oh, I don't know about that. People would tell me "Hey, you're nowhere, man" all the time.

gallesram - 5-13-2013 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Disconnecting for me used to be the playas at TJ, then it was Rosarito, then just past Ensenada, then El Palomar, now I finally feel disconnected when I get to my first nites rest at Jardines, have a good meal and hit the road fresh in the AM. That, for me is where Baja starts now. :cool:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

shari - 5-13-2013 at 12:42 PM

I stayed at Jardines for the first time a couple nights ago and WOW...so very impressive...the most comfy bed EVER and their pillows were even better than the one I always travel with...although I was peeved that my car got all dirty just after I had it washed!!! but the great sleep was worth the dirty car...excellent service...good coffee in the morning...good internet...VERY quiet and insanely beautiful...which basically means I will be preferring it to our old standbye Baja Cactus.

Problem is after this thread...it will be even more full than it already is! Reservations are a good idea but one never knows what may happen on the road.

I can vouch for the problem of "no shows" as we often get burned by folks who dont send a deposit (paypal works very well for us). I certainly understand any hotel's policy of taking a credit card # or a deposit...but what is wrong here is the rudeness of the office person. It's hard to find good help and heck maybe she was having one of those days.

motoged - 5-13-2013 at 12:48 PM

Shari,

Your car got some dust/dirt on it ??:O:O

My gawd, girl....so how did you handle that crisis? :biggrin:

I think a booking "no-show" policy makes good sense for all owners...

Next thread will be how Jardines is impossible to get a room at....:lol:

Cypress - 5-13-2013 at 01:19 PM

Beats the heck out of sleeping under a bridge.:D

tiotomasbcs - 5-13-2013 at 01:55 PM

No response from Antonio? Did DTutko ever make contact re gas station double charge?? I personally hope Baja Cactus' problems are resolved so we have as many choices as possible. A friend just stayed at old favorite Cielito Lindo & mentioned upgrades in rooms and economical prices. Se la vie. Tio

Shari - You Made Me Laugh Out Loud

Gypsy Jan - 5-13-2013 at 02:15 PM

I always travel with my pillow; if I don't have it with me, I can't sleep.

Nothing else feels right.

Hubby is resigned to my peculiarities.

shari - 5-13-2013 at 02:46 PM

Jan...this was a first for me that I chose hotel pillows over my own! And Ged...I washy car so rarely it was prett ironic it got dirty only a couple hours later and those pesky palm trees rained dirty drops all over it too...sheesh...I should complain to the management!!!har har

BajaBlanca - 5-13-2013 at 03:49 PM

Shari, we have already gone to Jardines once and found it booked solid. Bummer for us.

David K - 5-13-2013 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
No response from Antonio? Did DTutko ever make contact re gas station double charge?? I personally hope Baja Cactus' problems are resolved so we have as many choices as possible. A friend just stayed at old favorite Cielito Lindo & mentioned upgrades in rooms and economical prices. Se la vie. Tio

Yes, he posted it was resolved here... Antonio has not been on Nomad (posting) for a long time... Very sad, as he was a great Nomad... Maybe it is just too much drama here... many dobn't post here anymore, regularly... ?

DENNIS - 5-13-2013 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is just too much drama here...

The drama isn't here, David. It's at his business.
Whatever..........he would have to be in a coma to not know what's happening here.
He doesn't care....why should anyone else?
ADIOS

chuckie - 5-13-2013 at 06:45 PM

+10

rts551 - 5-13-2013 at 08:01 PM

Ah the Drama of Jardines

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

msawin - 5-13-2013 at 09:16 PM

Same for us in April. LATE.. Some times you have no control of your drive time to get there. For me it is 13 hours. Stuff happens. I have stayed there many times. I make my reservation a few weeks before we head down , and dam some times it takes a little longer to get there. Ok they, [ daughter] had a new baby and they where not sleeping.. NOT my problem. Got my ass chewed out and told not to let it happen again... " Again" , I don't think I am staying there..... Really, that's how you treat your customers ?

Bajaboy - 5-13-2013 at 09:28 PM

We arrived once at 2:45 (with reservations). Our kids were young...maybe 9 months and just under three years of age. One needed a diaper change so we were eager to check into our room. We got the key and when we arrived at our room they were repairing the door. We asked how long it would take to repair and were told maybe half an hour. We noted there were plenty of empty rooms and asked the front desk if we could have another room. They said no and said they couldn't deviate from the assigned rooms. We asked for a refund and drove on....Antonio supported his staff's decision stating rooms are not available until 3 pm.....:mad:

Ateo - 5-13-2013 at 09:32 PM

Seems like good customer service and an addition out back would be a good business decision. Then tear down the old rooms and build some more new rooms. Then have an american guy with a gas can checking the measurements for each customer at the gas station next door and heck, we'd be in heaven. =)

Skipjack Joe - 5-13-2013 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Whatever..........he would have to be in a coma to not know what's happening here.
ADIOS

There is nothing of significance happening here, Dennis.

We have a disgruntled traveler that's upset for showing up late and not getting a room, getting even with management for the 'mistreatment' by besmirching their reputation.

This thread is mostly about vengeance, not public service.

elgatoloco - 5-13-2013 at 09:53 PM

Viva Baja! :cool:

Bajaboy - 5-13-2013 at 09:59 PM

what a concept...just booked a room at Villa San Quintin for Memorial Weekend. I used a guaranteed reservation with my credit card...oh my....I didn't even have to make a phone call.....:light:

dtbushpilot - 5-13-2013 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

ADIOS

There is nothing of significance happening here, Dennis.

We have a disgruntled traveler that's upset for showing up late and not getting a room, getting even with management for the 'mistreatment' by besmirching their reputation.

This thread is mostly about vengeance, not public service.

Looks like a lot more than one disgruntled traveler skipjack.....

Skipjack Joe - 5-13-2013 at 10:11 PM

It worked well for her, didn't it?

dtbushpilot - 5-13-2013 at 10:12 PM

Quote:
It worked well for her, didn't it?

Indeed....

tripledigitken - 5-13-2013 at 10:19 PM

seven pages??????????

We are talking about a motel in a gas station parking lot. Credit to DK for helping build the successful business it has.

Ken

motoged - 5-13-2013 at 10:28 PM

Drama ???

I just wish I had been there when Shari's car got tree poop on it....

now, THAT would have been some drama :lol::lol:

I enjoyed the goats in Ed's back yard at Baja's Best....a lower key form of drama. But clearing all the pillows off my bed at B's Best kicked the drama up a notch....where to put them all???

I will try Baja Cactus next time down....and will try to not pout if I get turned away....

Skipjack Joe - 5-13-2013 at 10:36 PM

Years ago a friend of mine applied for an oil exploration job in Africa with Shell Oil. They turned him down and he vowed to never buy gas at a Shell gas station after that.

Who do you think suffered more from this decision, Shell or my buddy?

DianaT - 5-14-2013 at 08:18 AM

I doubt any of this is really going to hurt the business of Baja Cactus. They have a loyal following and believe it or not, not all who travel or live in Baja belong to Nomads! They also seem to have a good business from the traveling vendors. I hope he continues to do a good business, and he will.

On the other hand, I think it is good, when people post both their positive and their negative experiences at accommodations. So many we have met along the way will post about the positive, but when they have a very negative experience at places, especially rather popular places, they remain quiet. That leaves the next visitor, if they read this forum, rather unprepared for what may or may not be a one time experience. Following the old rule of silence unless it is positive can keep a place substandard as the owner may think everyone is just fine with situation.

It is all about experience and it often is different for different people. If the circumstances were there, we would stay at Baja Cactus again, maybe. But for now, we prefer to wake up and enjoy either the beautiful gardens at Jardines, or the ocean front at the Santa Maria and staffs with a great attitude.

And yes, drama is in the eye of the beholder, or the quote was something like that. :biggrin:

DENNIS - 5-14-2013 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Years ago a friend of mine applied for an oil exploration job in Africa with Shell Oil. They turned him down and he vowed to never buy gas at a Shell gas station after that.

Who do you think suffered more from this decision, Shell or my buddy?

It's all about self respect. Being a voluntary victim...allowing, even encouraging by tacit acceptance, this type of rude behavior in a customer service setting [Baja Cactus], is unacceptable.
To forgive it is to condone it.
Your friend, Igor, possibly understood this, so I say he was the hands down winner. In the mornings while looking in the bathroom mirror, he'll see a stand-up, self respecting individual looking back, instead of a tired old doormat.

gallesram - 5-14-2013 at 09:27 AM

Drama or not, I like reading about people's experiences; that's the only reason I even check this forum (road conditions, restaurants and hotels). We learned about Jardines from this forum and for that I'm grateful (never would have known about it otherwise). Although Diana is right (not all Baja travelers read this forum), we have a pretty good information network and as a business owner I'd want to keep a core group like this happy. Interesting that Antonio doesn't see it that way, but to each his own.

Lee - 5-14-2013 at 11:40 AM

I think the employment pool is probably slim in El Rosario.

Not everyone in the service industry in Baja, and at Baja Cactus, share in a customer's complaint about losing a room with late arrival, with or without a credit card to hold it.

If the front desk is having attitudes, Antonio's reprimand might be: hey, try to have a better attitude.

And, hey, there's always Tourista and Baja's Best. So what's the problem?

It's best not to be attached to this kind of stuff in Baja and be flexible in expectations.

Kinda like my expectation of not having a bloody stain on my mattress at Cowboy motel in GN. Looking back, not a big deal but it was at the time.

Curt63 - 5-14-2013 at 12:17 PM

Way off topic, but I just remembered why I go to baja. It looks like this

rts551 - 5-14-2013 at 12:57 PM

Curt, that looks like a lousy place to be. The hotels aren't three star and there are no restaurants open at night. and what's with all the pangas...don't see no launch ramp! nothing but a rock bench to sit on. and no margi in your hand...looks like a Tecate light.... oh I see its 5 years ago. probably a resort now.

Curt63 - 5-14-2013 at 01:17 PM

A hidden gem....

With views to die for

[Edited on 5-14-2013 by Curt63]

Mexitron - 5-14-2013 at 01:30 PM

My favorite accommodations:

DENNIS - 5-14-2013 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

Classy!!

mulegemichael - 5-14-2013 at 02:57 PM

my kinda hotel!!!

David K - 5-14-2013 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
I think the employment pool is probably slim in El Rosario.

Not everyone in the service industry in Baja, and at Baja Cactus, share in a customer's complaint about losing a room with late arrival, with or without a credit card to hold it.

If the front desk is having attitudes, Antonio's reprimand might be: hey, try to have a better attitude.

And, hey, there's always Tourista and Baja's Best. So what's the problem?

It's best not to be attached to this kind of stuff in Baja and be flexible in expectations. ...

Excellent!:light::cool:

David K - 5-14-2013 at 04:53 PM

Quote:

Awesome... sleeping with nobody else around but your boojum brothers! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

woody with a view - 5-14-2013 at 05:29 PM

Quote:

the earth is your pillow and the heavens your blanket, or something like that!

woody with a view - 5-14-2013 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
And yes, drama is in the eye of the beholder, or the quote was something like that. :biggrin:

no, NO, NO!

the quote goes like this, "beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder!!!"

:lol::light::P

DianaT - 5-14-2013 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Curt, that looks like a lousy place to be. The hotels aren't three star......

I am going to call Chelo. :biggrin::biggrin::saint:

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

no, NO, NO!

the quote goes like this, "beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder!!!"

:lol::light::P

Dang, sometimer's disease got me AGAIN. :biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 5-14-2013 at 09:20 PM

Quote:

Mine too. But I'm afraid that I may be too old for that now.

Speaking of Baja Cactus, the room was a bit too cold for me last time so I brought the sleeping bags inside. It wasn't quite the same.

I'll never forget a night my wife and I spent in sleeping bags like that in Arizona. A pack of coyotes came down and surrounded us and let up a howl for hours. They seemed so close I feared they would start tearing into the bags. We just crawled deeper into the bags and hoped for the best.

I really don't know if there is any danger from those animals. Especially when there is a pack of 20 involved.

Mexitron - 5-14-2013 at 09:39 PM

We've found footprints next to our bags in the morning when camping out on the coast---they don't seem to bother us (eh, unless one was rabid, that would be the danger), just looking for food scraps.
There's a large pack of them in Borrego Springs---we camp on our property sometimes and they steer clear of us.

David K - 5-15-2013 at 07:37 AM

Baja Cactus (newer) rooms have remote control heating and A/C... Perhaps not in one of the few remaining original rooms?

Bob H - 5-15-2013 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs

Yes, he posted it was resolved here... Antonio has not been on Nomad (posting) for a long time... Very sad, as he was a great Nomad... Maybe it is just too much drama here... many dobn't post here anymore, regularly... ?

Antonio has not been posting on Nomad since 3-24-2011 at 05:21 PM. Very sad, indeed.

The Power of Baja Nomads!!

Marla Daily - 5-19-2013 at 08:02 PM

OP here. We're back at Baja Cactus for the night headed north.
This time we got our pre-reserved room. And guess what?? It is after 8 PM and WE ARE THE ONLY CAR IN THE PARKING LOT!
NO ONE IS HERE! NADIE!
Is this due to the power of Baja Nomands I wonder?
I guess everyone on the road is at Jardines!

rts551 - 5-19-2013 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
OP here. We're back at Baja Cactus for the night headed north.
This time we got our pre-reserved room. And guess what?? It is after 8 PM and WE ARE THE ONLY CAR IN THE PARKING LOT!
NO ONE IS HERE! NADIE!
Is this due to the power of Baja Nomands I wonder?
I guess everyone on the road is at Jardines!

After what you posted, you would stay there again...If I was Antonio I would suggest you stay at Jardines.

Nice Rack

bajamedic - 5-19-2013 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
A hidden gem....

With views to die for

[Edited on 5-14-2013 by Curt63]

Curt63 can you post better photos of that rack in the back of your truck, I think this thread has pretty well run it's course. JH

Curt63 - 5-20-2013 at 07:03 AM

For Bajamedic

Bajanomad post about rack

Howard - 5-24-2013 at 07:30 AM

Driving Northbound yesterday, May 23rd, around 6:00 P.M. and pulled into Baja Cactus without a reservation. I went up to the desk and requested a room for one person and my dog.

The women behind the desk was extremely friendly and apologized that they were completely sold out. In very good English she was very nice and professional and made some suggestions where else to stay but I continued on to stay at La Villa in S.Q. (Jardines did not have any dog friendly rooms left)

Skipjack Joe - 5-24-2013 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamedic

Nice rack!

I told the receptionist at the Help Desk that she had a nice rack and she became sooo abusive. I'll never stay there again!

DianaT - 5-24-2013 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajamedic

Nice rack!

I told the receptionist at the Help Desk that she had a nice rack and she became sooo abusive. I'll never stay there again!

Shame on you. I just spit coffee all over my keyboard. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-24-2013 by DianaT]

Pages:  1  2