BajaNomad

Spanish Language History

Gypsy Jan - 5-12-2013 at 01:42 PM

From Hispanic Vista

By Patrick Osio

"What is the Spanish language?

What can I learn about the Spanish language?

The Spanish language has its origins in the Iberian Peninsula, having evolved from several dialects of Latin. It is part of the Ibero-Romance language group, along with Castilian (another word for Spanish)*, Portuguese, Catalan, and Galician. It is also part of the Romance language group, along with French, Portuguese, Italian, and Romanian.

Spanish, or Castilian, became more widespread through the expansion of the Kingdom of Castile, that unified northern Spain with central and southern Iberia in the late Middle Ages. The unification of the kingdoms of Castile and Leon under the Reyes Católicos (Catholic Monarchs) Ferdinand and Isabel, along with the rise of the Spanish Empire, solidified the place of Spanish among the top three languages spoken in the world.

Castilian and Spanish are synonyms for the Spanish language. However, the usage of Castilian is due to the fact that there are many different languages spoken in Spain; thus, to call one of the many other languages "Spanish" would assume that none of the other languages spoken in Spain are also Spanish or of Spanish origin. The other languages of Spain, both official and unofficial, are Galician, Basque, Catalan, Aranese, Asturian, ******ese, Extremaduran, and Fala.

*Castilian in Spanish is castellano.

Arab Words in the Spanish Language

What are some Spanish language words?

Arab words began finding their way into the Spanish language up from the south of Spain around the 8th and 9th centuries. The region of Andalucía, once known as Al Andalus, was the center of Arab and Muslim culture in the Iberian Peninsula. When the Christian Reconquista (Reconquest) by the Kingdom of Castile occurred in the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries, former Arab-speaking regions found themselves speaking Romance dialects and contributing many of their words to the various languages. Below you will find examples of this influence that are still in use today.

aceite: oil

aceituna: olive

alcohol: alcohol

alfombra: carpet; rug

álgebra: algebra

algodón: cotton

almohada: pillow

almuerzo: lunch

asesino: assassin

azar: luck; chance

azúcar: sugar

azul: blue

baño: bath

café: coffee

cero: zero

droga: drug

hasta: until

jarabe: syrup

jarra: pitcher or other pot with handle(s)

jirafa: giraffe

lima: lime

limón: lemon

loco: crazy

naranja: orange

ojalá: I hope; I wish that

rincón: corner

taza: cup

zanahoria: carrot

As you can see, the Spanish language is a diverse language that has influences from all over the world. Throughout your Spanish language-learning journey, see if you can spot other ways in which Spanish has been influenced by the world around it!

Indigenous Words in the Spanish Language

What are some Spanish language words?

Many words in Spanish are indigenous words that were incorporated into the language during colonization under the Spanish Empire. Among the languages that contributed words to Spanish are Nahuatl, Arawak, Guaraní, Quechua, Tupi, Carib, and Maya. Below are a couple of examples of common Spanish words that didn't exist in the Spanish language until the discovery of the New World!

aguacate (Nahuatl): avocado

cacao (Nahuatl): cocoa

canoa (Taíno Arawak): canoe

chicle (Nahuatl): gum

chocolate (Nahuatl): chocolate

guacamole (Nahuatl): guacamole

guayaba (Arawak): guava

hamaca (Taíno Arawak): hammock

huracán (Taíno Arawak): hurricane

jaguar (Guaraní): jaguar

llama (animal, Quechua): llama

maíz (Taíno Arawak): corn

papa (Quechua): potato

papaya (Carib): papaya

Tabaco (Taíno Arawak): tobacco

Tiburón (Arawak): shark

tomate (Nahuatl): tomato

Many of the words contributed to the Spanish language from indigenous languages are food words, which makes sense since the tropical fruits and vegetables found in the New World were unknown to Europeans and so had no translation.

Did you know... that tomatoes and potatoes were introduced to Europe only after the discovery of the New World? That means that the traditional European diet of "meat and potatoes" is relatively new, and that Italian cuisine was nothing like it is today. Imagine Italian food with no tomatoes or tomato sauce!

¿Sabías que... los tomates y las papas sólo fueron introducidas a Europa después del descubrimiento del Nuevo Mundo? Eso significa que la dieta tradicional Europea de comer "carne y papa" es bastante novedosa, y que la cocina italiana no se parecía en nada a la que conocemos hoy día. ¡Imagínate comer comida italiana sin tomates o salsa de tomate!

Spanish Language Trivia

There are between 450 and 500 million Spanish speakers worldwide, with 40 million of those living in Spain, 360 million in Hispanic America, and more than 35 million in the United States.
This makes Spanish the second most spoken language in the world after Mandarin Chinese and above English.

Spanish is the third most used language on the Internet, after English and Mandarin Chinese.

Mexico has the most Spanish language speakers in the world, with over 112 million speakers.

Spanish is one of the six official languages of the UN.

Equatorial Guinea is the only African country to have Spanish as an official language, having once been a part of the Spanish Empire.

There are 24 countries in the world with Spanish-speaking populations, including the U.S."

Patrick Osio, Jr. is the Editor of HispanicVista.com (www.hispanicvista.com). Contact at: posiojr@aol.com

Pablito1 - 5-17-2013 at 07:25 AM

During the 1990s I worked in Pakistan in the petroleum industry. We were working on a large pump and had to drain the lube oil so Asghar told Amjad in the Urdu language something the only thing that I understood being the word "balde". I asked Asghar what he had said and and his reply was "Amjad bring the bucket".

Pakistan is a long way from the Spanish speaking world and I wonder how that word got mixed in.

Regards, Pablo

sargentodiaz - 5-20-2013 at 11:45 AM

And then there is Spanish Spanish and Mexican Spanish - two quite different languages. :)

Pablito1 - 5-20-2013 at 02:57 PM

I have spent lots of time in both Peru and Venezuela [worked in both] and believe me there are LARGE differences in the language of those two countries than Mexico.

Regards, Pablo