BajaNomad

rancho grande

dpf33a - 5-13-2013 at 03:18 PM

Hello everyone.
Does anyone has runway condition at rancho grande,I have never been here.Is camping under palapas available.Any infos would be appreciated.?Thanks

David K - 5-13-2013 at 08:10 PM

If you pay, you can join Baja Bush Pilots (now Bush Pilots International) where they (used to) have pretty good runway data...

The Bush Pilots web site used to be view-able to the public, so us non-pilots/ non-members could get info, just as the Bush Pilots can come here to Nomad and get data...

Maybe Nomad (and Bush Pilot) 'Capt. Mike' or another pilot can share some runway data on Rancho Grande, Bahia San Luis Gonzaga? In the past, it was very well maintained... and at close to 5,000' long at sea level, most anything that flys to Baja dirt strips can land there... a small landing fee is collected. There is also a slightly shorter, cross runway... Then you have Alfonsina's, just a mile north with a clay base, smooth runway... but goes underwater at high lunar tides.

Desertbull - 5-13-2013 at 09:04 PM

I was there a couple days ago and both runways were in great shape...check the tides if you use the runway behind the houses...bring beer to share with everyone:lol::lol:

dpf33a - 5-13-2013 at 09:05 PM

I used to belong to BBP but have not gone often to renew.The info sometime was old in the past. I thought i would try to get more update from Nomad.Thanks David.

dizzyspots - 5-13-2013 at 10:03 PM

was there in April watched Cessna 182, 206 and Beech V35 come and go off the main east west runway with no issues
cant help with runway length etc and dittos on the Alfonsina north south runway behind the homes..really tide specific

bonanza bucko - 5-14-2013 at 07:53 AM

I was there three days ago. The Rancho Grande runways are in good shape but I don't know if they are legally open. The same applies to Alfonsina's runway. Planes are landing and taking off but I think they are filing out of San Felipe for other places that are legal like Punta Bufeo and then landing at Rancho Grande or Alfonsina's.

Alfonsina's runway goes under water and is unusable for about two days on each side of the full or dark of the moon when the tide is highest. It will be clear from now until May 22 or 23. The runway was graded--ie potholes removed--last weekend.

Alfy's runway is North and South or across the prevailing wind off the water to the east. The Rancho Grande Runways are into the wind because they are 090/270 and 045/235 +/-. Parking at Rancho Grande is either at the West end near the Rancho Grande store or at the East end near the palapas. The store will set you up for camping there and charge for it. I think they charge about $10/day but I'm not up to date on that.

If you are not familiar with the area you should be aware that this time of year there will be strong North or West winds about every third day. 30 knots is pretty standard and last week we saw 45 knots.

BTW: The Baja Bush Pilots are now called Bush Pilots International. They don't do a good job of keeping up on Baja runways as they once did.....more interested in excursions to less rustic places and to Central America.

BB

David K - 5-14-2013 at 08:29 AM

Thank you Bucko! :yes:

BajaRat - 5-14-2013 at 09:03 AM

Dito, saw them grading and cleaning up the Rancho Grande strip...........
Alfonsina's looks same as usual. :cool:

dpf33a - 5-14-2013 at 10:44 PM

thank you very much.