BajaNomad

Presentation:Graham Mackintosh: Thirty Years of Baja Adventures

Whale-ista - 7-16-2013 at 02:47 PM

Graham Mackintosh: Thirty Years of Baja Adventures

An entertaining evening of tales and photos from Graham Mackintosh, who has been exploring and writing about Baja California for over 30 years.

PRESENTER: Graham Mackintosh, author of Into a Desert Place, Journey With A Baja Burro, Nearer My Dog to Thee, and Marooned With Very Little Beer.

Wednesday, July 31: A16 San Diego, 7pm--FREE!
Alvarado Canyon Road location, near I8 /I15 intersection

Ken Cooke - 7-16-2013 at 03:46 PM

Awesome! I think I will be able to make it!

BAJACAT - 7-16-2013 at 10:17 PM

I will be there, for sure...

BajaGeoff - 7-16-2013 at 11:49 PM

Excellent!

Curt63 - 7-17-2013 at 08:02 AM

Im hoping to be there

Neal Johns - 7-17-2013 at 12:52 PM

I signed up! See you guys.

sd - 7-20-2013 at 06:51 AM

Can I get an address for this event please. Who should I contact for a reservation?

Thanks,

Scot

Ditto SD

John M - 7-20-2013 at 02:18 PM

We hope to make it.

Put us down for 2

John and Barb M

OOPS - just noted it is on Wednesday - prior commitment, wish it wasn't so....

[Edited on 7-21-2013 by John M]

David K - 7-20-2013 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd
Can I get an address for this event please. Who should I contact for a reservation?

Thanks,

Scot

Discover Baja Travel Club, http://www.discoverbaja.com

[Edited on 7-20-2013 by David K]

sd - 7-20-2013 at 03:42 PM

Thank you David!

I plan to be there.

Scot

BAJACAT - 7-31-2013 at 06:49 AM

Sorry guys can make it, have fun.
Congrats Graham an thank you for sharing all your adventures with us.

sd - 7-31-2013 at 04:51 PM

Sorry I will miss you Bajacat. I met you at the Toy Drive a few years back. Looking forward to meeting those that are joining in.

Scot

David K - 7-31-2013 at 05:40 PM

Have fun Nomads! Graham's shows are great... I have been to several... If I wasn't exhausted, I would go again!

Well attended event

Whale-ista - 8-1-2013 at 12:19 AM

Graham attracted lots of people tonight. Discover Baja provided copies of three of his books. Into a desert place is out of print but available as an E book.

Graham told me he has updated the e-book with lots of new photos.

I asked what changes he has seen in the last 30 years. His response: There are many new regulations and protections for places That used to be open access. He considers that a good thing, both for safety and preservation.

As he explained it, who would pay an entry fee to go into some place to try to rob someone? He did describe some poachers on isl de la guardia, But aside from their illegal fishing he thought they were very nice people. They did disrupt his original campsite, and forced him to move to a more remote location.

Good presentation with many photos and funny stories. ( I learned about the sex lives of burros. Let's just say male burros are in demand in remote Baja ranches)

All in all a good show and very well received.

sd - 8-1-2013 at 08:39 AM

Thank you Graham! It was an entertaining and informative evening.

Scot

Neal Johns - 8-1-2013 at 11:34 AM

Set with Squarecircle and Blanch, Graham was his usual self, (good!), saw a few new slides. He sure has aged since his first trip to Baja, unlike the rest of us! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Graham - 8-3-2013 at 09:15 AM

That sure was a great audience... over 120 I was told. It was good to see and talk to Ken, Scott, Whale-ista and so many other Nomads.

Thanks to Adventure-16 for the venue. Might be giving the presentation at A16 in the Los Angeles area next.

And Neal, I swear you look twenty years younger than your Nomad avatar image. You're an inspiration... you're doing something right.

Alas, I'm sinking fast into my dotage... I'd better buy some blue slippers and suspenders for my next Baja walkabout. They'll go very nicely with the few strands of red hair I have left. :lol: :lol:

MikeYounghusband - 8-5-2013 at 05:30 AM

Sorry I couldn't be there. Sounds like a great time by all.

David K - 8-5-2013 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeYounghusband
Sorry I couldn't be there. Sounds like a great time by all.

Ditto!

Whale-ista - 8-5-2013 at 01:35 PM

Really enjoyed it- thanks again! You've inspired me to begin planning future adventures.

Martyman - 8-5-2013 at 04:01 PM

When are you coming to the Bay Area?

What a great event!

Ken Cooke - 8-5-2013 at 09:02 PM

Graham - 8-7-2013 at 12:19 PM

It is fun to give presentations and meet so many fascinating fellow Baja adventurers. And it's been way too long since I've been on a lecture tour of the Bay area... at least 15 years.

Takes a few venues to make it worthwhile; I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Always enjoy spicing up the shows with new photos, especially those from 30 years ago.

And looking forward to seeing Mike Younghusband's presentation again about his amazing walk with Don-Kay and Solo... not to forget Rusty and Max. What a great team they were... four of the finest animals that ever set paw or hoof in Baja!