BajaNomad

whale watching

viejo - 11-15-2004 at 07:14 PM

I'm taking my 23' travel trailer to Mag Bay for the first week in March for some whale watching. Does anyone have any ideas on where to camp or what concessionaire to use to have a good trip? thanks

bajajudy - 11-16-2004 at 05:15 PM

I was just in Puerto San Carlos and there was not much there. The Hideout rv park is now a retreat and the lady there to whom I spoke said that down where the pangas go out has been polluted with raw sewage....I didn't go check that out. There are places in the mangroves but I am not big on buggy camping. She also told me that you can camp in front of the old Pemex but that did not look inviting at all. I always liked Lopez Mateo better. If you go check out the Feliz Cameron, they are very nice people and could probably help you find a place. Ask for Saul as the captain. We went out with him one day and when we didnt find any whales he took us back up in the mangroves and found oysters and scallops which we ate right there and then. I am pretty sure that I have never had any seafood any fresher. They have rooms but it doesnt sound like you need one.
Have a great trip!

Puerto Lopez Mateos Rocks

Anonymous - 11-17-2004 at 11:08 PM

I was there last Feb. people were camping along the shore about 25 yards north of the secure parking lot for whale watching trips, about 7 or 8 very good restaurants ,one of the best ba?os in Baja,5 or 6 tour companies,I went with the panga union co., friendly whales all over they just stayed and stayed,the panga driver took us to a large pod of dolphins,along the sand island for bird watching on the return trip,the 2 hour tour lasted more than 4 hours,nice sunshine and no wind...bring your camera