BajaNomad

Is this the same family....

Bajaboy - 8-11-2013 at 01:11 PM

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/08/11/211072485/fam...

Family Rescued In Pacific After Sailing 'Where God Led Us'

by
August 11, 201311:14 AM
The Gastonguays hoped to reach the vast archipelago nation of Kiribati, part of which is shown in this 2001 photo.

The Gastonguays hoped to reach the vast archipelago nation of Kiribati, part of which is shown in this 2001 photo.
Torsten Blackwood/AFP/Getty Images

A leap of faith that sent an Arizona family bound for the South Pacific in a sailboat has returned them in an airplane after a harrowing ordeal at sea that saw them adrift and nearly out of food in one of the remotest stretches of ocean on the planet.

Hannah Gastonguay, 26, and her husband, Sean, 30, were fed up with abortion, homosexuality, taxes and the "state-controlled church" and so "decided to take a leap of faith and see where God led us," she . With them were Sean's father and the couple's two daughters, one 3 years old and the other an infant.

A few weeks into their ultimately 91 days at sea, the Gastonguays encountered "squall after squall after squall" that damaged their boat. Originally on a heading for the archipelago nation of Kiribati near the international dateline, they changed course to the Marquesas Islands, but were unable to reach them either.

Along the way, they apparently suffered damage to their mast and, unable to set a foresail, made little westward progress.

They were down to "some juice and some honey" and whatever fish they could catch when a passing Canadian cargo ship tried to help out with supplies. But when it came alongside, it did even more damage to the tiny sailboat.

Eventually, the family was picked up by a Venezuelan fishing vessel.

"The captain said, 'Do you know where you're at? You're in the middle of nowhere,' " Hannah Gastonguay told the AP.

From there, the five were transferred to a Japanese cargo ship and, after three weeks, dropped off in Chile.

Gastonguay told the AP that she never thought the family was going to die: "We believed God would see us through."

In Chile, police prefect Jose Luis Lopez told the newspaper Las Ultimas Noticias:

"They were looking for a kind of adventure; they wanted to live on a Polynesian island but they didn't have sufficient expertise to navigate adequately," he said.

tjsue - 8-11-2013 at 01:50 PM

It's the same family, read their names.

BajaBlanca - 8-11-2013 at 02:35 PM

It takes all kinds.....

Mulegena - 8-11-2013 at 02:50 PM

Can anybody dig up that other thread about "our" beached family?

Mula - 8-11-2013 at 02:59 PM

Lea, William and kids stuck in Punto Cono last year?

willardguy - 8-11-2013 at 04:00 PM

obvious to me they changed their names and reinvented themselves. are we still talking about turtle soup?

DENNIS - 8-11-2013 at 04:08 PM

Maybe it's the McStays. :wow:

BajaNomad - 8-11-2013 at 04:17 PM

It's not the people from Punta Cono thread - who later all returned to the USA.

"Hannah Gastonguay, holding her baby Rahab, is followed by husband Sean and 3-year-old daughter Ardith as they disembark in San Antonio, Chile, on Friday."

http://www.spokesman.com/photos/2013/aug/11/219115/

[Edited on 8-11-2013 by BajaNomad]

angel_of_darknez - 3-22-2015 at 03:51 PM

You people just can't get over the fact that other people have lives that are not sitting behind a computer screen and complaining about those who do. LOL

Ignorance is not wasted on you.

I leave judgement for those who have experienced the same. If you aren't to help and show love towards others you are here to do the exact opposite.

(Fall out of chair laughing):P:spingrin:

"I'm a DIVA and always will be"

Bajahowodd - 3-22-2015 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Maybe it's the McStays. :wow:

If only. In this case, it was because of good old god.

Pompano - 3-22-2015 at 04:44 PM

Christians are saying, "It's sure a tough crowd here on Nomads."

dtbushpilot - 3-22-2015 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by angel_of_darknez  
You people just can't get over the fact that other people have lives that are not sitting behind a computer screen and complaining about those who do. LOL

I leave judgement for those who have experienced the same. If you aren't to help and show love towards others you are here to do the exact opposite.

Welcome to Nomads angel, you'll fit right in around here...

David K - 3-22-2015 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by angel_of_darknez  

This is a 2 year old thread you are commenting on for your first post here. Perhaps all is well now?

BeemerDan - 3-22-2015 at 05:22 PM

blackwolfmt - 3-22-2015 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  

user161115_pic572005_1294187927_thumb.gif - 49kB

Bajahowodd - 3-26-2015 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  

I am having so much difficulty wrapping my head around this idea that religion in any form has a place in the secular world. Anyone care to tell me just how the fundamentalist Christians in the US, especially including the end timers are any different than the Muslim crazies that are destroying the Middle East?

A group decides to impose its beliefs on others. Doesn't matter where in the world it is happening. I am actually glad that I'm old.

woody with a view - 3-26-2015 at 05:28 PM

religion has been the cause of more human death than all other causes other than natural causes.

elgatoloco - 3-26-2015 at 05:52 PM

Amen. :saint:

vgabndo - 3-26-2015 at 06:18 PM

The official national religion in the USA, and despite the First Amendment it is the official religion on our money and in the Pledge of Allegiance, is easily identified as an Armageddon Cult. They won't be right until everyone is dead! Just look at one of the political parties for clear evidence that a lot of people believe that there is no reason to plan for the future. Every single member of all three branches of the government identify as Christian or some minor belief system.

Pompano - 3-26-2015 at 06:26 PM

Why do I get the feeling that this is a Public Service Announcement? :rolleyes:

blackwolfmt - 3-26-2015 at 06:52 PM

Why do I get the feeling that this is a Public Service Announcement? :rolleyes:

Because it is:O

Marc - 3-28-2015 at 05:43 PM

It's weird because as I type this there are two ads below; one for browse profiles of "Single Muslim.com" (all women covered in scarves) :P and "ChristianMingle" (a hot gal in a tank top.) Hard to choose....:o

BajaBlanca - 3-28-2015 at 08:24 PM

What a tough life for the young'uns.