BajaNomad

Dog Paperwork At The Border

BajaGeoff - 8-13-2013 at 04:51 PM

For the first time ever, I was asked for a international health certificate for Fletch when crossing northbound at TJ on Monday morning. Thankfully I had all the paperwork from a road trip we did earlier this year with the dogs and the agent was fine with that. The agent thought he was a Great Dane.

DENNIS - 8-13-2013 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
The agent thought he was a Great Dane.

You probably could have told that pinhead your dog was a horse and he wouldn't have known better.

Paulina - 8-13-2013 at 06:43 PM

What kind of "paperwork" did you have on hand?

I used to spend the extra $ on the international health certificate every year and was never asked for it on either side of the border, so I've let that one go.

We do carry their rabies certificates with our passports, just in case.

Thanks,
P>*)))>{

tjsue - 8-13-2013 at 06:52 PM

My vet said that the certificate wasn't necessary, just proof of a rabies vaccination. He said to just keep a copy of the receipt in the glove compartment in case I was asked for it.

DENNIS - 8-13-2013 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjsue
My vet said that the certificate wasn't necessary, just proof of a rabies vaccination. He said to just keep a copy of the receipt in the glove compartment in case I was asked for it.

I don't think I'd use that argument at the gate. :no:

DENNIS - 8-13-2013 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Microsoft Words does then for even less!:cool:

Excellent. :biggrin:

BajaGeoff - 8-13-2013 at 09:25 PM

Hehehe you crack me up Dennis!

I had both the international health certificate from February and a copy of his shot records.

tjsue - 8-13-2013 at 10:07 PM

I guess I'll go over there and tell him that he was wrong, and have him fill one out. He volunteers with the Baja Pet Sanctuary, so I figured that he was right.

BajaGeoff - 8-13-2013 at 11:18 PM

I am going down on Thursday...on the way back I will ask if it is necessary to have the health cert or if a shot record will suffice...

BajaLuna - 8-13-2013 at 11:27 PM

I look forward to your post, as I would like too know too, thanks Geoff!

DENNIS - 8-14-2013 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
I guess I'll go over there and tell him that he was wrong, and have him fill one out. He volunteers with the Baja Pet Sanctuary, so I figured that he was right.

He just may be right, but he doesn't make the rules. The US inspectors would repel from being schooled by a Vet, right or wrong.

larryC - 8-14-2013 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
The cert is inexpensive.
Been asked for it at San Ysidro, Tecate and Nogales...... go figure.

Sunset Cliffs Animal Hospital does them for almost nothing.

Microsoft Words does then for even less!:cool:

Frank, do you have a word document you would be willing to share?

Lee - 8-14-2013 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
I am going down on Thursday...on the way back I will ask if it is necessary to have the health cert or if a shot record will suffice...

I've traveled with my dog for 10 years and always had the Certificate. My Vet thinks I need one, have never questioned why she thinks this, thought I read it somewhere, and am the kind of person who travels with too much, rather than too little, paperwork.

Not sure what the above statement means -- ''on the way back I will ask...'' might mean you'll ask a US Border Agent at the Border if you need a Certificate.

If that person says no, and at some point in the future you're asked for a Certificate, do you plan on using that Agent's response as the reason you don't have a Certificate?

DENNIS - 8-14-2013 at 09:47 AM

Mexico doesn't have an exclusive on unpredictability...that's for sure. On a couple of occasions, the inspector was content just seeing that my dog had a tag.....and why not since it comes with the shots.

SFandH - 8-14-2013 at 09:48 AM

I wonder what the point is. How many people travel around with rabid dogs?

Too many laws.

Lee - 8-14-2013 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Mexico doesn't have an exclusive on unpredictability...that's for sure. On a couple of occasions, the inspector was content just seeing that my dog had a tag.....and why not since it comes with the shots.

Tags are an absolute must.

Should have mentioned I've never been asked for dog papers in 10 years. I'm surprised it's never happened. Still, I expect to eventually be asked.

SFandH - 8-14-2013 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
On a couple of occasions, the inspector was content just seeing that my dog had a tag.....and why not since it comes with the shots.

Exactly, current government issued dog tags should be enough.

I wonder if Mexicans that cross with Rover in the car get hassled. Probably.

DENNIS - 8-14-2013 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

I wonder if Mexicans that cross with Rover in the car get hassled. Probably.

Probably doesn't happen often. They don't tend to take their dogs everywhere like we do.
But........if they did happen to take one through the gate, I would imagine they would want to have their records in order.

SFandH - 8-14-2013 at 10:15 AM

"The CDC does not require general certificates of health for pets for entry into the United States. However, health certificates may be required for entry into some states"

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/bringinganimaltous.html

So the border guards are enforcing state laws when they ask for a certificate.

I haven't been able to find CA rules yet.

I'm also looking for a downloadable certificate that you can fill out and take to your vet for signature. ;D

SFandH - 8-14-2013 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Here

Honestly, the one I had from the vet was much simpler and has always been accepted.

Just lists the date of Rabies, etc....

It was free when I had them fill it out at time of boosters...

Thanks!

the one I had from the vet was much simpler and has always been accepted

So you've been asked for a cert? In 25 years or so I've never been asked, usually the San Ysidro crossing.

DianaT - 8-14-2013 at 10:41 AM

Once we were asked for the International Certificate going south at Tijuana. We explained to the lady that since we traveled back and for every month or so, it would be impractical for us to have the Certificate. We just showed her the rabies certificate and she said fine.

Once crossing in to the US at Tecate, we were asked for the rabies certificates and we had forgotten them. But our dogs did have their tags. The agent said he was OK, but we really needed to have the certificates as some agents would care.

Now, when we crossed into Mexico from Guatemala, that was different. They insisted on the International Certificate. However, we had one from Honduras that was about a year old and a new from from a Vet in Guatemala, and the only one they would accept was the 90 day International Health Certificate from the US that was almost 2 years old. :biggrin:

DENNIS - 8-14-2013 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Here

FYI........Mexico vets will hand-write a letter which also works.[opens up a whole new possibility for creativity]

DENNIS - 8-14-2013 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Our Mexican vet had a form and it was actually pretty comprehensive. I was pretty surprised!
And, inexpensive.

I wonder why Mexico would have a Health Cert form? I know they have a shot record form, but I think there's a difference between the two.

Come to think of it, the Vet Asst wrote the letter for me in English since she's US.

[Edited on 8-14-2013 by DENNIS]

dtutko1 - 8-15-2013 at 06:46 AM

We have have traveled to Baja for 13 years with our dog. We always got our dog papers straight. We have never been asked for them. I understand that the papers are required for any flights into or out of Mexico. Last winter we rescued Charly from the Cabo Humane soc. Their adoption fee of 1000 p included neutering, all shots, a nice heavy duty leash, and a lifetime of any paperwork needed for transportation. Very good people there. Charly is doing great! He loves the rain and rolling in the grass with one of his toys.

bajacalifornian - 8-15-2013 at 07:25 AM

Hey Don, so with a nice heavy duty leash, Charly isn't a Chihuahua?

SFandH - 8-15-2013 at 08:47 AM

"The CDC does not require general certificates of health for pets for entry into the United States. However, health certificates may be required for entry into some states"

Here's what California says:

"International Pet Importation

The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) governs the international importation of dogs and cats.

Please visit the CDC website for more detailed information.
"

Soooooo, following the stated rules a health certificate is not required to bring a pet into CA from Mexico.

But wait, there's more:

"Interstate Pet Importation

California Entrance Requirements for Dogs:
All domestic dogs must be healthy. Dogs over four (4) months of age must have a certificate of current rabies vaccination. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, is not required for the State of California; however, if traveling into California via airplane, please call the airline as they may have additional requirements.
"

Sooooo, the border guards are incorrectly enforcing a law that applies to state borders, not international borders

Situation normal, all effed up.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/vphs/Pages/PetImportation.as...

[Edited on 8-15-2013 by SFandH]

DENNIS - 8-15-2013 at 09:01 AM

Quote:

Sooooo, the border guards are incorrectly enforcing a law that applies to state borders, not international borders

Situation normal, all effed up.

I would hate to compromise my pooch by arguing with them, but it's nice to know where I stand if the going gets nasty.

Sometimes, they even enforce DMV regulations. I guess they don't have enough to do in our behalf, but I'm wondering why I don't feel all warm and fuzzy with all this protection. :fire:

SFandH - 8-15-2013 at 10:34 AM

I wouldn't argue either. I was just wondering what the rules really are.

The federal government says no paperwork is needed to bring a dog across the international border. CA defers to the feds on the issue. But CA says paperwork is needed to bring a dog in from another state. That law is never enforced except at the international border where it doesn't apply.

Lee - 8-15-2013 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Sometimes, they even enforce DMV regulations. I guess they don't have enough to do in our behalf, but I'm wondering why I don't feel all warm and fuzzy with all this protection. :fire:

I'd rather have the folks guarding our Borders doing everything they can -- INM, State, Local, DMV -- don't really care what's enforced as long as somebody is doing it.

For those thinking less enforcement is better, or that those standing watch at our Border Crossing should be smiling and professional, courteous and respectful, they're doing a job you don't want to do.

Save the arguments that this group of LE's get paid lots of money and nobody is forcing them to work. These arguments are laughable. LE is a ''calling'' and, honestly, no amount of money worth putting your life on the line everyday.

Pinheads? Who's a pinhead?

DENNIS - 8-15-2013 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
LE is a ''calling'' and, honestly, no amount of money worth putting your life on the line everyday.

Maybe cops should wear Roman Collars with their uniform. They're already well into the confession ritual.

"Blessed are they that do body cavity searches." AMEN

LancairDriver - 8-15-2013 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

I'd rather have the folks guarding our Borders doing everything they can -- INM, State, Local, DMV -- don't really care what's enforced as long as somebody is doing it.

For those thinking less enforcement is better, or that those standing watch at our Border Crossing should be smiling and professional, courteous and respectful, they're doing a job you don't want to do.

Save the arguments that this group of LE's get paid lots of money and nobody is forcing them to work. These arguments are laughable. LE is a ''calling'' and, honestly, no amount of money worth putting your life on the line everyday.

Pinheads? Who's a pinhead?

Nonetheless, they ARE tax dollar parasites, and owe their benefactors at least a minimum of courtesy and respect, which should also go both ways. As far as a "calling" I guess the large number of them serving time should have used that as a defense. As far as "laying their lives on the line" firefighters, loggers, fishermen, and convenience store clerks among others all have a statistically more dangerous job. I don't think any of them see these jobs as a "calling".

BajaGeoff - 8-15-2013 at 07:14 PM

I asked the agent today when I crossed north at TJ. He said all you need is a current shot record for your pooch....no international certificate needed.

tjsue - 8-15-2013 at 09:13 PM

I'm assuming that this applies to cats too. He's had all his shots, and a copy of the shot records will be with me and him when we move. I just signed my lease today, so it'll be official around the end of next month.

Lee - 8-16-2013 at 06:47 AM

Quote:
I asked the agent today when I crossed north at TJ. He said all you need is a current shot record for your pooch....no international certificate needed.

Even with a badge number and name, using a Border Agent as your source of information is questionable.

http://www.bajabound.com/before/pettravel/enteringmexico.php
Entering Mexico With Pets

Do we need any special documentation to take our dog and cat to Mexico?

Yes. According to the Mexican Consulate, in order to cross over the border into Mexico with pet dogs or cats (and to make sure they return home safely with you!) you will need to carry two main documents throughout your journey:

An International Certificate of Good Health (Form 77-043) issued by a licensed veterinarian (signature must be approved by the State Veterinarian) who has examined your pet and...
Proof of vaccination against rabies and distemper, administered at least 15 days before your pet enters Mexico.
No Consular certification is required. Visit the Mexican Consulate's website for the latest information.

It is also recommended to bring proof of ownership just in case you need it.

Is there any information should be included on the International Certificate that my vet writes for our pet?

First, be sure that the actual dates of vaccination appear on the health certificate. According to the USDA, your certificate for each pet must...

be presented in duplicate (you should always keep an extra copy!)
clearly state your name and address
include a complete description of your pet (species/age/sex)
state that your pet has been examined and found to be free of all contagious diseases

Lee - 8-16-2013 at 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Nonetheless, they ARE tax dollar parasites, and owe their benefactors at least a minimum of courtesy and respect, which should also go both ways. As far as a "calling" I guess the large number of them serving time should have used that as a defense. As far as "laying their lives on the line" firefighters, loggers, fishermen, and convenience store clerks among others all have a statistically more dangerous job. I don't think any of them see these jobs as a "calling".

Reductio ad absurdum -- reduction to the ridiculous. Individual tax dollars pay penny's towards a salary. Guess people get what they pay for. Those expecting ''warm and fuzzy,'' a smile and gracious good morning will continue to be disappointed.

Comparing, statistically, a convenience store clerk to ICE? Laughable. Cop haters live miserable life's esp. when crossing into the US. Think the LEO's see this group coming.

Every LE group has it's bad apples. Statistically I think that's about 10%. They get weeded out. Something cop haters know something about.

nbacc - 8-16-2013 at 08:32 AM

I would not dream of not takng every paper that I thought was needed to get my dog back to the USA. Most agents have been on the rude side but there are some that have been decent. The deal breaker: don't say anything except answer their questions.........no conversation. It works better that way. Nancy

Bajajorge - 8-16-2013 at 08:41 AM

I've only been asked once in over 10 years of crossing both south and north at the border for my dogs papers. It was a Mexican Ag guy that was at the crossing.

RnR - 8-16-2013 at 08:58 AM

The requirements for "papers" appears to be different depending on which way you are crossing:

Southbound into MEXICO -
1. International health certificate required.
2. Rabies certificate required. (Important - Mexico only recognizes a ONE year rabies vacination period, not three years as is common in the US.

Northbound into the US -
1. Current rabies certificate.
2. Apparent good health. I've had two different Border officials say something to the effect, "if they look healthy, they're in"

That being said, I have only been asked once in 16 years going both north and south for "papers". The one time was northbound at Otay. The agent at the gate asked if I had a rabies certificate. I said, "yes". He said "Good, have a nice day".

However - friends have been checked in detail at both the Los Cabos and La Paz airports upon arrival. Even going so far as having the dogs held until a Mexican vet could administer a rabies vaccination before leaving the airport. Each time, their dogs had a current US 3 year certificate. Mexico only recognizes a one year rabies certificate.

EdZeranski - 9-4-2013 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
SunTextSunset Cliffs Animal Clinic does them for almost nothing.

That is our vet too, very good shop, top notch. Our two Baja rescue dogs have been back and forth several visits with no questions asked but this time I'll go for the cert incase of admin madness. When we found 'Guapo' almost dead in GN we took him to Loreto where we went to the feed store/vet on the main street for a triple shot and paper work that was good for 30 days going North. Nobody asked for anything, the same with the pup we picked up last November..no questions either way.

EdZ
Borrego Springs/Ocean Beach(San Diego)

bajaguy - 9-4-2013 at 08:09 PM

My dog and cat have crossed enough times both ways to qualify for SENTRI and Residente Permanente cards.

tjsue - 9-4-2013 at 10:56 PM

Next week I'm going to get the health certificate for my cat - I'm not taking any chances.

durrelllrobert - 9-5-2013 at 04:12 PM

Quote:

Here's what California says:

"International Pet Importation

The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) governs the international importation of dogs and cats.

Please visit the CDC website for more detailed information.
"

Soooooo, following the stated rules a health certificate is not required to bring a pet into CA from Mexico.

[Edited on 8-15-2013 by SFandH]

"The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) governs the international importation of dogs and cats."
Last time I checked governs means they control and are responsible for the rules.

But wait, there is more :
www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html‎

Requirements for Dogs Arriving in the United States

A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet dogs into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet dogs are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a dog appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.

Proof of Rabies Vaccination

Dogs must have a certificate showing they have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days prior to entry into the United States. These requirements apply equally to service animals such as Seeing Eye dogs.

Importation of Unvaccinated Dogs

Dogs not accompanied by proof of rabies vaccination, including those that are too young to be vaccinated (i.e. less than 3 months of age), may be admitted if the importer completes a confinement agreement (see below) and confines the animal until it is considered adequately vaccinated against rabies (the vaccine is not considered effective until 30 days after the date of vaccination). Translations of CDC Form 75.37 are available upon request at U.S. ports of entry.

Payola please

EdZeranski - 9-19-2013 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
The cert is inexpensive.
Been asked for it at San Ysidro, Tecate and Nogales...... go figure.

Sunset Cliffs Animal Hospital does them for almost nothing.:

Not anymore! I just took the two Baja mutts in for the exam and paper work. 20 minutes and $151....and I thought dogs could bite.

Brian L - 9-19-2013 at 10:21 AM

I was told by Customs once that since there is still rabies in the US, there was no point in requiring proof of immunization.

BajaRat - 9-19-2013 at 09:57 PM

Got sent to secondary at San Luis crossing into Mex last month after reading the beginning of this thread......... Go figure never had it happen before. The Ag inspector asked for proof of rabies vac. and that was it. A few days ago I was talking to our Vet who also spends a lot of time in Mex. and he said things were going to get much tougher crossing in to Mex. as far as Ag inspectors looking for import violations. On his last crossing a few weeks ago he was asked for his dogs papers by Mex. Ag inspectors.

El Comadante Loco - 9-21-2013 at 01:49 PM

Go figure. I just crossed at 11:30 am today using the Sentri pedestrain lane in Calexico the young mad in fornt of me had his small dog in his arms. No questions asked went right though...

tjsue - 10-1-2013 at 03:24 PM

I made my final moving trip to Tijuana last night. In the glove compartment, I had the rabies vaccination certificate, and my cat was in his carrier on the passenger seat.

When I got to the border, I unlocked all the doors, everything was just literally "glanced over, "and when told her that I had cat, she said, "OK." I asked if she wanted to look at his proof of rabies shot, and she said, "No."

So we went on our way.

DENNIS - 10-1-2013 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
I made my final moving trip to Tijuana last night.

Congrats, Sue. I'm glad you have that part behind you.
Time now to start living your Baja life.
Bienvenido al vecindario.

tjsue - 10-1-2013 at 06:26 PM

Thanks. It took me four hours to load my van with the last of my stuff. The guy that was supposed to help me didn't keep his part of the bargain. So I did everything myself with the exception of having my furniture moved by a moving company.