BajaNomad

Climbing Matomi Mountain

David K - 11-16-2004 at 08:09 AM

Just reviewing web pages and had another look at Mexitron's cool photos from the top of Cerro Matomi (between Puertecitos and El Rosario). I hear there's still a bottle of tequila at the top for the next team up!!!
http://vivabaja.com/mexitron

[Edited on 12-26-2004 by David K]

Can you tell me anything about hiking Tres Virgines

Frank_R - 2-16-2005 at 09:01 AM

Any info or where I can find out about hiking mountains in Baja, ie., trail heads, permission from authorities, etc.
Thanks

Bruce R Leech - 2-16-2005 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank_R
Any info or where I can find out about hiking mountains in Baja, ie., trail heads, permission from authorities, etc.
Thanks

Frank you will need to git a Permit to Hike the area.

hiking permit

Frank_R - 2-16-2005 at 09:13 AM

Where do i get one?

David K - 2-16-2005 at 09:31 AM

Frank, unless you get a better answer I am going to suggest you go to the museum in San Ignacio or where-ever you get the permits to visit the giant cave paintings in San Pablo Canyon (San Francisco de la Sierra). Ask Ricardo at 'Int'l. Rice and Beans' (restaurant and motel) which is just below Mex. 1, on the side paved road turning right (at the right turn junction to enter San Ignacio).

Volcan Tres Virgenes

Frigatebird - 2-16-2005 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank_R
Where do i get one?

This from Baja Nomad JESSE:

In ejido Bonfil you can get a guide to climb that mountain ( ask for Mr Ramon Arce), but you MUST ask for information and authorization to climb that volcano at the Estaci?n Biol?gica de la Reserva de El Vizca?no in Guerrero Negro, you do need authorization since the volcano is part of a biological reserve under the federal goverment.

More info:

http://tepetl.igeofcu.unam.mx/volcanes/tresvirgenes.html

I believe Ejido Bonfil is south of San Ignacio off of Mex 1.

Bruce R Leech - 2-16-2005 at 11:27 AM

yes In ejido Bonfil is where you must git this permit.

Mexitron - 2-16-2005 at 12:04 PM

Wow, that's amazing....a permit to climb Tres Virgenes....times are-a-changing. Well, no need for a permit to climb Matomi....yet.......guess its outside the Central Park. Nice view from there--both Pacific and Gulf. Thanks for the reminder DK!

Great response

Frank_R - 2-16-2005 at 02:25 PM

Great stuff, I'll check into it.
Frank

cost of guide to hike Tres Virgines

Frank_R - 2-25-2005 at 04:51 PM

Jesse,
Do you know how much Mr. Ramon Arce charges for guide services? and where in Ejido Bonfill I can locate him. I suppose it's not a very big place so it should be easy, please advise.

Visitor's pass and Tres Virgense hiking permit question

Frank_R - 3-2-2005 at 10:17 AM

To Bruce or Jesse,

Should I wait til I get to Guerro Negro before I get my visitor's pass or should I get it sooner. The last time in Baja we stopped in Ensenada and we wasted alot of time looking and for then waiting to get our paperwork processed. The reason why I'm concerned about waiting til I get to Guerro Negro is because of the military check points along the way. Also, what will be the easiest way to find the Estacion Biologica de la Reserva de El Vizcaino in GN?
Thanks for your help.
Frank