BajaNomad

Juneau Icefield Research Program

Skipjack Joe - 8-19-2013 at 09:34 PM

I wanted to share some pictures from my son's summer program on an icefield that straddles the US and Canadian border.

I was really impressed by the landscape up there and hopefully you will enjoy them as well. These were shot with a cheap point and click camera so it's going to take some work to make them look presentable.

They are not all ready so I will add them as I work on them and bump the thread I guess.

This spot is the Gilkey Glacier and is the highlight of the trip. It sits above Lake Atlin on the Canadian side of the border.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was a 2-month program where the only form of transportation was on foot or on skis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beneath a glacier. This is under the Mendenhall Glacier. Not a great image but it shows the wondrous world beneath all the ice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ice goes on forever. This is the top - where glaciers are formed before starting their downward journey.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up so high you can touch the sky. Clouds at eye level without being in a plane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking out from Camp #10.

[Edited on 8-20-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

Mexitron - 8-19-2013 at 10:06 PM

Wow, what a great adventure---more pics please!

Barry A. - 8-19-2013 at 10:15 PM

This is great!!! and the pics are coming out beautitul, to be sure.

Barry

shari - 8-20-2013 at 06:12 AM

very cool Igor...literally! He must have really enjoyed it...I'm sure we'd be interested in what they were studying and how that went too and of course more pics

DianaT - 8-20-2013 at 07:23 AM

Those are just wonderful photos. Look forward to seeing more and what an interesting adventure.

Did you take them when you were visiting, or did Alex take them? Beautiful, just beautiful.

Ateo - 8-20-2013 at 07:34 AM

Powerful. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Skipjack Joe - 8-20-2013 at 07:37 AM

No. I'm proud to say that he composed and took these images. I'm merely correcting some of the camera limitations and cropping to make the landscape broader. He has an eye for natural beauty but it took a trip like this to motivate an interest in photography.

He took 700 pictures so there's quite a bit here to sort out. To me there are many, many different images. He has given me permission to share and i feel like I'm there by working on them.

PS I noticed that a BN page has 20 entries so it's best to spread the images by posting one per entry rather than have them all in the first post. People will simply not be able to refresh the page completely.

[Edited on 8-20-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

Bruce R Leech - 8-20-2013 at 08:03 AM

Nice and Thanks

TMW - 8-20-2013 at 12:28 PM

That is really cool and beautiful, thanks.

tripledigitken - 8-20-2013 at 12:35 PM

Very nice.

bufeo - 8-20-2013 at 01:55 PM

Outstanding! Many thanks for posting them. That's such wonderful country up there.

Allen R

Santiago - 8-20-2013 at 05:44 PM

Thanks Igor,
I'll be watching this thread.

DianaT - 8-20-2013 at 07:01 PM

Well, Alex has had a very good photography teacher! What a fantastic experience for him.

woody with a view - 8-20-2013 at 07:07 PM

that bubble under the glacier is incred!

The Start

Skipjack Joe - 8-20-2013 at 09:27 PM

The story begins on the glaciers around Juneau where students learn techniques used later on. During this time they are conditioned for the long hikes ahead by walking 5-10 miles a day with their 50lb packs. We talked by phone these days and he was plenty tired but he had no idea what lay ahead.

David K - 8-20-2013 at 09:30 PM

Great photos... nice ice!

Bajaboy - 8-20-2013 at 09:33 PM

Good stuff...can't wait to hear what your son has to contribute regarding climate change...he probably has more real world, scientific experience than most of us here.:biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 8-20-2013 at 09:38 PM

Building up stamina by hiking in the woods around Juneau.

Bajaboy - 8-20-2013 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yes, climate changes... and has long before man was burning coal and gas. We know how one side wants to use a false fear to gain power and money. No matter how much money you take from us, the climate is still going to do what it was going to do all along. Now, let's just enjoy the photos of huge glaciers and ice caves, and not drift off, okay bajaboy?

DK-unlike you I left my opinion out of this thread:light: Well, outside of the cool part....

Skipjack Joe - 8-20-2013 at 09:48 PM

Then the ascent to the first glacier begins. They start at 9AM and stumble into camp at midnight.

Skipjack Joe - 8-20-2013 at 09:59 PM

Crossing streams with 'bridges'.

Skipjack Joe - 8-20-2013 at 10:06 PM

The foliage is still thick down here and spirits are high.

Skipjack Joe - 8-20-2013 at 10:18 PM

Crossing the stream again. This time without the aid of ropes.

Skipjack Joe - 8-20-2013 at 10:24 PM

Taking a break in an opening.

Skipjack Joe - 8-20-2013 at 10:31 PM

Ponds start to appear at the tree line.

Skipjack Joe - 8-20-2013 at 10:48 PM

No further images of the ascent until the following morning at Camp 17.

Ken Bondy - 8-21-2013 at 08:53 AM

Great great stuff Igor!!!!

Juneau ice cap

akshadow - 8-21-2013 at 09:31 AM

This summer in Juneau was not a normal one. They certainly were fortunate to be here on a summer with so many more days of sunny weather than last year.
Great pictures of the ice cap as well as the "trail" up to it.

Skipjack Joe - 8-21-2013 at 11:19 PM

The facilities were spartan.

Skipjack Joe - 8-21-2013 at 11:23 PM

Equipment shack. I just like this image, is all.

Skipjack Joe - 8-21-2013 at 11:28 PM

I think Alex was trying to tell me something here....

Spam and pilot bread can taste amazingly good though after a day on the field. He said they made spam pancakes. To each his own, I say.

Skipjack Joe - 8-21-2013 at 11:36 PM

There was no washer and dryer.

Skipjack Joe - 8-21-2013 at 11:44 PM

For whatever reason there seemed to be fond memories of their outhouses. These were lovingly attended to with artwork and clever messages. It was also a place where people socialized. They lived in such close quarters that nothing was uncomfortable. Each outhouse had it's own name.

Skipjack Joe - 8-21-2013 at 11:56 PM

A fairly large amount of time at the first camp was spent on safety.

What do you do when you've lost your footing and are careening down the side of a mountain of ice?

Well, I'm told you jam your ice axe into the moving ice which will turn you completely around facing uphill and slow your descent.

Those dots in the far distance are JIRPers practicing going down head first, face down or face up, and learning to stop.

Skipjack Joe - 8-22-2013 at 12:15 AM

This first camp is still within sight of civilization. Bald eagles make it to this area.

That's Juneau straight below. Auke Bay to the right where wilderone's ferry came in. Douglas Island past Juneau. Admiralty Island with no snow after that. And not sure what the snow peaked mountains are but the Pacific lies beyond them.

Skipjack Joe - 8-22-2013 at 12:35 AM

On top of the world.

DianaT - 8-22-2013 at 07:29 AM

WOW --- fantastic adventure and really great photos! They are all wonderful. I don't really have a favorite, except that view from the outhouses really shows the vastness and beauty of the area --- it really grabbed me. But then again, so did all of the photos.

Will Alex want to go back?

Thank you very much for sharing these and it would be interesting to hear about what he learned in addition to how to survive on ice!

rts551 - 8-22-2013 at 07:48 AM

What a great experience for Alex. The pictures are fantastic and and education few will ever get, regardless of their opinions.

bacquito - 8-22-2013 at 08:20 PM

[Edited on 8-23-2013 by bacquito]

bacquito - 8-22-2013 at 08:24 PM

Great adventure!! Thanks for sharing

Skipjack Joe - 8-22-2013 at 09:58 PM

Moving east to the next station.

Skipjack Joe - 8-22-2013 at 10:11 PM

Moody landscape -

Skipjack Joe - 8-22-2013 at 10:23 PM

Rope Team. Everyone is tied to each other as they approach an area with crevasses.

Skipjack Joe - 8-22-2013 at 10:37 PM

Taking a break without removing your skis.

Skipjack Joe - 8-22-2013 at 10:45 PM

Snow like white satin. A great day for shooting.

SFandH - 8-23-2013 at 06:50 AM

Great adventure for your son and thanks for the photos. In your first post you mentioned the Gilkey Glacier, part of the Juneau icefield.

I found this info about the Juneau Icefield Research Program began in 1946 for those who are interested.

http://glacierchange.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/215/

also

http://www.crevassezone.org/

[Edited on 8-23-2013 by SFandH]

Skipjack Joe - 8-23-2013 at 07:49 AM

The Gilkey Glacier is so amazingly beautiful that I entertained the idea of going there from the Canadian side. Ferry across Lake Atlin and then hike to the top. But Alex said the area is steep and heavily crevassed, requiring crampons and mountaineering gear. Not for a first timer. They slept on the icefield without a tent so perhaps you could cut down on some of the gear. One JIRPer wrote that they slept to the sound of calving glaciers into the terminus lake of the glacier. Must've been quite an experience.

Skipjack Joe - 8-23-2013 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
WOW --- fantastic adventure and really great photos! They are all wonderful. I don't really have a favorite, except that view from the outhouses really shows the vastness and beauty of the area --- it really grabbed me. But then again, so did all of the photos.

Will Alex want to go back?

Thank you very much for sharing these and it would be interesting to hear about what he learned in addition to how to survive on ice!

Diana,

He said it was a life changing experience. He's been in a funk ever since he came back. It's like readjusting after coming back from the moon. They all became very close up there and breaking the ties wasn't easy.

He'd like to go back in 2 years but I'm not sure about it. He could only come back as a staff member and there are only 6 per class. He's not an authority on glaciology and many are.

They had lectures every day up there from scientists from all over the world. They would fly in these people for a few days with the helicopter that brought supplies (and my letters) to the cabins. I don't think these people were paid for it. There is a great draw to this area in the summer.

Most come for the sense of peace and belonging that they rarely find elsewhere. It's hard for me to describe although I sense it from the images. Even the JIRPers try to convey their emotions and can't seem to get it.

As far as Alex goes - I can tell from the subjects and choices he made in his images that he's developed a side of his relationship to nature that wasn't there before. He's seeing better and more fully. The adrenalin aspect of being outdoors is perhaps taking a smaller aspect now.

CortezBlue - 8-23-2013 at 08:54 AM

The photos weren't shot from an Iphone that is for sure.

It is difficult to shoot in bright snow and bright clouds and still get great detail in the darker areas.

I am assuming they were shot with a camera that supports spot metering.

Good Stuff

Skipjack Joe - 8-23-2013 at 11:13 AM

The images were shot with a canon a630 point and click camera. As you say the snow pictures were all underexposed. It's taking some photoshop work to get the details out of the rocks. Many of the images were taken on overcast days and those are being left as they are to preserve natural conditions.

In the first image on the Gilkey Glacier Alex was a black blob. I spent more time on that one because the scene was worth it. But it's still a pretty amateurish job at photoshop. I wasn't going to the trouble of doing layering to get better results.

We considered the iphone but there was no way to recharge it up there. The Canon took AA batteries.

[Edited on 8-23-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

wilderone - 8-24-2013 at 08:37 AM

What an absolutely marvelous experience. Thanks for sharing. (As for the "funk" after returning home, he can always go on backpack trips up to or near glaciers - lotta glaciers in the USA).

Skipjack Joe - 8-24-2013 at 09:43 PM

Overlooking the Gilkey Glacier.

DianaT - 8-24-2013 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Overlooking the Gilkey Glacier.

A once in a life time experience that is beautifully documented by Alex and his point and shoot camera. I would say that Alex is really lucky, but he earned the right to be there.

Mass Balance Pit

Skipjack Joe - 8-24-2013 at 10:06 PM

Every student had a project he was involved in. But in addition to that the central study was determining the change in the size of the glacier. This was computed from the measurements of mass balance pits. These pits were typically dug to a depth of 12 meters and were dug at various specific spots on the icefield. Typically this work involved a 5 mile ski trip, followed by 3 hours of digging and then another 5 miles back to the cabin. Alex loved this work and volunteered to take another JIRPer's turn.

Skipjack Joe - 8-24-2013 at 10:17 PM

Core samples of the ice was taken each 10 cm from top to bottom. Each sample was weighed to determine the density of the ice. The holes you see behind are the locations where these samples were taken. The pit went down to the top of last years ice.

[Edited on 8-25-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

Skipjack Joe - 8-24-2013 at 10:29 PM

Here a core has been removed and is being passed below where it is extracted and weighed. Due to compaction the density will increase as you go deeper until solid blue ice is formed.

Skipjack Joe - 8-24-2013 at 10:45 PM

Dealing with blisters.

Skipjack Joe - 8-24-2013 at 10:58 PM

They call this a "whiteout". When the clouds come down on you on the icefield and you are on the ice, all landmarks are lost and there is a sense of being lost. All students were required to have compasses and know how to use them for such conditions.

Skipjack Joe - 8-24-2013 at 11:08 PM

Storm moving in from the Pacific.

[Edited on 8-25-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

Skipjack Joe - 8-24-2013 at 11:33 PM

Coming out to see the last glimpse of daylight.

wilderone - 8-26-2013 at 08:27 AM

Last bunch of photos: WOW!!!

Nunataks

Skipjack Joe - 8-31-2013 at 10:28 AM

Nunataks are isolated rocky outcroppings from the field of ice. They are significant in that most wildlife exists on these islands. Large nunataks had marmot and ptarmigans on them. The marmots were often heard whistling warnings to each other as the skiers approached. The ptarmigans were never seen but often heard at night. The nunataks on the icefield that were closer to Juneau even had bald eagles.

DianaT - 8-31-2013 at 10:34 AM

WOW --- almost surreal looking. How beautiful. Marmots are sure tough creatures to survive there!.

When we went to Alaska we visited the town of Chicken. According to the locals, there used to be so many ptarmigans in the area, that they were going to name the town Ptarmigan, but they could not agree on the spelling, so they named it Chicken. True or not, it was a good story.

Igor, all of these beautiful photos have taken us on a very, very special journey to a place most of us will never see. Many thanks to Alex and you. :yes:

Skipjack Joe - 8-31-2013 at 10:43 AM

The dominant life on the nunataks was lichens and bryophytes. Although some of them were very rich in flora.

Transects showed that each nunatak was poorest at its base and at it's top with the greatest richness and diversity in the middle.

Skipjack Joe - 8-31-2013 at 10:55 AM

Molly was one of the more interesting characters of the group. She was part of the botany team. I thought this was shot as some sort of gag but was told no. She is a soil biologist from Michigan and is recording the soil differentiation with depth on a nunatak.

Skipjack Joe - 8-31-2013 at 11:14 AM

Flowering plant among the bryophytes. Dwarf Lupine.I think these are mosses - help Mexitron.

Skipjack Joe - 8-31-2013 at 11:26 AM

Returning to camp.

Skipjack Joe - 8-31-2013 at 11:36 AM

Gilkey Glacier overlook.

Skipjack Joe - 8-31-2013 at 11:47 AM

The pros set up their cameras from an outlook.

Skipjack Joe - 8-31-2013 at 11:55 AM

Not all is great in paradise. Bivouacing at night on an icefield during a rain storm can't be a lot of fun.

Perhaps a bit of explanation about this picture is in order. Although they had cabins at each station on the ice field these were often too far apart to ski in one day. There were times when they slept in tents on the snow after a full day of trekking. However, they normally waited for the weather to clear before starting such a move.

[Edited on 9-1-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

DianaT - 8-31-2013 at 04:57 PM

Keep them coming! Love them. That picture of the girl studying the soil should be a real prize winner in the student scientific world --- such dedication!

Islandbuilder - 8-31-2013 at 11:12 PM

Wonderful images Igor, your son had an amazing experience!
I am used to seeing glaciers on their delivery ends, very interesting to see and read about what's going on in the construction end of things.
It was good to meet you in Juneau, I hope that the rest of your trip went well!

Skipjack Joe - 8-31-2013 at 11:37 PM

It was fun to meet you and see your vessel. Thank you for showing it all to us. While we in port talking to one another they were up above on the icefield just to east of us. Like you I would sometimes look at the Taku Glacier from our small boat, up to the snow covered peaks above and wonder what it must be like up there. Fortunately there's a ton of pictures.

Skipjack Joe - 9-1-2013 at 09:42 AM

When they arrived at camp 17 there was a lake nearby. You can see it at the bottom of the screen. A lake with icebergs.

Skipjack Joe - 9-1-2013 at 09:58 AM

One morning the lake was no longer there. The entire lake had collapsed and drained overnight. Presumably the water had melted a hole in the ice connecting it to a passage of flowing water beneath the ice cap.

Skipjack Joe - 9-1-2013 at 10:06 AM

The Hero Shot.

Skipjack Joe - 9-1-2013 at 10:15 AM

The approach to hero rock is to me more impressive than the rock itself.

Group Shot

Skipjack Joe - 9-1-2013 at 10:30 AM

There are many traditions that have developed over the years. One is to celebrate Christmas on July 25th. A Christmas Tree is assembled with skis by leaning them all towards to middle.

This image is the costume party that's traditionally done at camp 10. There are few materials to be had so people make do with what's available. The woman at the far right in the Indian Dance position is the same botanist Molly that we saw earlier.

Skipjack Joe - 9-1-2013 at 10:41 AM

Molly and Alex at the costume party. Molly made her skirt from a trash bag that each was to bring to keep things dry in the backpack. Alex's hanky is the head bandana for sunlight protection. I don't know where the jacket came from.

Bruce R Leech - 9-1-2013 at 10:57 AM

wow I always wanted to go on a adventure like that.

thanks

Skipjack Joe - 9-16-2013 at 08:52 PM

From within -

DianaT - 9-17-2013 at 07:46 AM

Beautiful --- certainly is a different world.

tripledigitken - 9-17-2013 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
From within -

I really like this image Igor. My favorite so far.

Skipjack Joe - 9-17-2013 at 11:43 AM

Why?

tripledigitken - 9-17-2013 at 11:50 AM

Composition, diagonal lines, monochromatic except for subject, generally dark except for subject and backlit water.

Spelling edit

[Edited on 9-17-2013 by tripledigitken]

Skipjack Joe - 9-28-2013 at 04:12 PM

Crevasse exploration.

Some are dry and others, like this one, have melted ice.

Skipjack Joe - 9-28-2013 at 04:33 PM

Within it's bowels:

Skipjack Joe - 9-28-2013 at 04:45 PM

Looking into it:

Skipjack Joe - 9-28-2013 at 04:51 PM

Looking out through similar opening:

DianaT - 9-28-2013 at 04:53 PM

Keep the stories and photos coming! So very interesting

Skipjack Joe - 9-28-2013 at 05:02 PM

Hiking out was treacherous. This is where the crampons were most useful.

wilderone - 10-8-2013 at 07:06 AM

Yikes!
Really awesome photos. Maybe it's been covered, but what camera was used? An auto setting or ?? The balanced lighting and sharp focus are outstanding.

Skipjack Joe - 10-8-2013 at 11:06 PM

Wilderone,

There's nothing special about this camera. It's a Canon A630 point and click with a fixed lens. It takes AA batteries and was therefore good for this trip because there was nowhere to recharge a battery. Placing it on a tripod looked pretty comical (where's the camera?!).

10 years ago it was the best point and click on the market. You can't even shoot in RAW mode with this thing. But it does have manual mode which allows you to adjust almost every parameter separately for each image (that's primarily why I picked it).

DianaT - 10-9-2013 at 06:25 AM

Quote:
Hiking out was treacherous. This is where the crampons were most useful.

That scares the living daylights out of me! WOW --- great photo. I would say one of the best ---- lots of best ones, however.

Ndnorvell - 12-23-2013 at 04:23 PM

I was born and raised in Juneau. Lived there for 25 years. It is always nice to get a taste of home! Thanks!

Skipjack Joe - 1-5-2014 at 10:54 PM

Timo,

Since you were following this thread, here is how it ends:

The guys celebrate the end of their journey by leaping into Lake Atlin.

jumpintolake.jpg - 48kB

Not hijacking the beautiful photos

durrelllrobert - 1-6-2014 at 09:26 AM

..just wanted to show the area where they were taken