BajaNomad

Wood stain in Spanish

SFandH - 8-28-2013 at 10:26 AM

I need to buy a gallon of wood stain, not paint, for new lumber. I'll probably buy it at a Comex store.

I'm not sure how to explain what I want in Spanish. Can someone help me out?

Archie - 8-28-2013 at 10:42 AM

You can try asking for "TINTA PARA MADERA".

DENNIS - 8-28-2013 at 11:12 AM

Archie is right. That will get you going in the right direction.
There are so many types of stain...oil....water....opaque...on and on. Yesterday at Home Depot I bought a can of stain and the label reads,"Tinta Al Aceite." It's a thin, penetrating type of oil based stain.

absinvestor - 8-28-2013 at 11:16 AM

I used "mancha de madera' and the clerk took me right to it!!

Mulegena - 8-28-2013 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
I used "mancha de madera' and the clerk took me right to it!!
That'll work 'cause mancha means stain, but the kind of stain that eating spaghetti while wearing a tuxedo is-- that kinda stain.

Never be afraid of making someone laugh: I was in the market and wanted honey and totally spaced the words for honey or bees. I asked for a bottle of something made by an insect that goes "Bzzz." The guy whipped out a jar of honey so fast it could'a stung me.

SFandH - 8-28-2013 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Archie is right. That will get you going in the right direction.
There are so many types of stain...oil....water....opaque...on and on. Yesterday at Home Depot I bought a can of stain and the label reads,"Tinta Al Aceite." It's a thin, penetrating type of oil based stain.

Tinta Al Aceite. Oil base is good.

Thanks

DENNIS - 8-28-2013 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

Never be afraid of making someone laugh: I was in the market and wanted honey and totally spaced the words for honey or bees. I asked for a bottle of something made by an insect that goes "Bzzz." The guy whipped out a jar of honey so fast it could'a stung me.

You're lucky he didn't hand you a can of RAID. :lol:

nandopedal - 8-28-2013 at 02:12 PM

Here is the word "BARNIZ"

SFandH - 8-28-2013 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nandopedal

Doesn't that mean varnish? Different stuff. I might put some on top of the tinta al aceite, but it doesn't weather well.

DENNIS - 8-28-2013 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:
Originally posted by nandopedal

Doesn't that mean varnish? Different stuff. I might put some on top of the tinta al aceite, but it doesn't weather well.

If your project is outside, the oil stain will dry out. Be prepared to do it again in the future.

Barniz is varnish, but I've seen a commercial product mixture, varnish and stain in the stores. I tried some. Terrible stuff.

[Edited on 8-28-2013 by DENNIS]

Udo - 8-28-2013 at 03:08 PM

The only BANIZ that works well and stays in great shape for years in Baja is the ones you buy at a marine supply store.

Additionally, a gallon of the stuff runs about $1,000 m.n.

[Edited on 8-28-2013 by Udo]

[Edited on 8-28-2013 by Udo]

Bob H - 8-28-2013 at 04:13 PM

Look closely at the can. It may look like a one gallon can, but it's actually less than a gallon now. A true US gallon comes to 3.785 liters

The most recent gallon can of paint that I purchased at Home Depot is only 3.61 liters.

Udo - 8-28-2013 at 04:19 PM

It's still expensive chit, that marine varnish!

monoloco - 8-28-2013 at 06:36 PM

I have been having very good results with a product from Sayer called Protectolack Barniz Exterior Transparente. It's UV protected and fungicidal, and seems to hold up as well as the high priced spread from the marine store.

DENNIS - 8-28-2013 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
It's still expensive chit, that marine varnish!

Is Z-SPAR still on the market? At a time, they were the best. Of course, at a time, they didn't have much competition.
I'll bet they do now.