BajaNomad

Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  24

BajaBlanca - 9-17-2013 at 09:06 AM

We are on our way south and will put posters up. Much easier to monitor everything, esp if he is in GNegro, from home in La Bocana!

redmesa - 9-17-2013 at 10:19 AM

Great news, now if the next person to see him would ask him to "Please, call home"!

willardguy - 9-17-2013 at 10:31 AM

maybe he meant October 8th? :light:

Sweetwater - 9-17-2013 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
Here is a flyer Blanca. I used your tele number.

and here is the PDF fpr printing

Download PDF flyer
HERE

on edit .. Let me know if changes are needed

[Edited on 9-16-2013 by willyAirstream]

Just bumping this forward, a missing traveler is always a conundrum. Great work Richard......

BajaBlanca - 9-17-2013 at 01:19 PM

We are in el rosario n I was hoping to NOT have tohand outmore flyers...but since Idont hear anything definitive.....we will continue.

LVPatton - 9-17-2013 at 01:38 PM

thank you blanca

Paulina - 9-17-2013 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Nomads on Facebook
Doug has posted this on FB Baja Nomad.
Please share with your Baja FB friends and ask them to share.
Thanks.

Este hombre no se encuentra.
Él está en algún lugar en la península de Baja.
Por favor buscarlo, imprimir y compartir.
Gracias.

Mulegena,

Thanks for posting this. A few of us did just that last night. I signed on to the Nomad board with the intent to deliver the same message. Thank you!

P>*)))>{

Mulegena - 9-17-2013 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Nomads on Facebook
Doug has posted this on FB Baja Nomad.
Please share with your Baja FB friends and ask them to share.
Thanks.

Este hombre no se encuentra.
Él está en algún lugar en la península de Baja.
Por favor buscarlo, imprimir y compartir.
Gracias.

Mulegena,

Thanks for posting this. A few of us did just that last night. I signed on to the Nomad board with the intent to deliver the same message. Thank you!

P>*)))>{

Yes, I saw that you'd done the same. Thanks. Enjoy your posts on Facebook, too.

Now, let's find this good man safe and happily camped out on the beach taking in a gorgeous sunset. Be sure to bring a cold drink to share wif 'em!

LVPatton - 9-17-2013 at 06:39 PM

Police say they believe he was seen at camp Rene yesterday watching a fishing tournament???

redmesa - 9-17-2013 at 06:40 PM

I know if I should get lost in Baja transit the first place my family will turn is this site. You guys are great...boots on the ground.

willardguy - 9-17-2013 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LVPatton
Police say they believe he was seen at camp Rene yesterday watching a fishing tournament???
he probably doesn't know he's lost!:yes:

LVPatton - 9-17-2013 at 06:44 PM

May be very true.

DianaT - 9-17-2013 at 06:57 PM

Quote:

Oh, I hope so. That is a great place to be.

bigjohn - 9-17-2013 at 07:02 PM

Here's hoping when he is found that he is wondering what all the fuss is about! :?:

redmesa - 9-17-2013 at 07:03 PM

Closing in...

willardguy - 9-17-2013 at 07:04 PM

he's six foot tall, staying at rene's, hard to miss with that big bump on his forehead!:lol:

DENNIS - 9-17-2013 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
he probably doesn't know he's lost!:yes:

Most lost souls have no idea. :light:

DianaT - 9-17-2013 at 07:12 PM

People sometimes forget how much others worry when they don't check in. I know that once in Asuncion we were waiting for the researcher who stayed with us and so were some other people in BA. We all expected him on a certain day.

Well, he was delayed by some interesting plants, great terrain, and beautiful camping spots. He felt really bad that we were all worried about him.

It is a mixed bag --- freedom as an adult to come and go as one chooses vs. consideration of the feelings of those who care enough to worry.

I also put the flyer on my facebook page and sure hope it was not needed!

DENNIS - 9-17-2013 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
People sometimes forget how much others worry when they don't check in.

It is a mixed bag --- freedom as an adult to come and go as one chooses vs. consideration of the feelings of those who care enough to worry.

We have no idea where this guy's head's at....his mental state...his habits....his interests....nothing.
So much info has been omitted that I feel uninformed.

BajaBlanca - 9-17-2013 at 07:24 PM

Ok he is not here at the bnb, we are home yahooo!

I have friends at campo rene who are already awRe of our search, but i will write them right now!

DianaT - 9-17-2013 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
People sometimes forget how much others worry when they don't check in.

We have no idea where this guy's head's at....his mental state...his habits....his interests....nothing.

Yes, very true ---

LVPatton - 9-17-2013 at 07:40 PM

Thanks Blanca!

BajaNomad - 9-17-2013 at 08:29 PM

LVPatton - please check your u2u private messages here.

Thank you!

redmesa - 9-18-2013 at 05:45 AM

Does this mean he is found?

LVPatton - 9-18-2013 at 06:06 AM

Still missing. Tips but no confirmation.

BajaBlanca - 9-18-2013 at 09:34 AM

no word yet from campo rene.

on edit: from what I remember from last year, Gary is a happy go lucky guy, likes fishing, apparently likes surfing. He is obviously brave since he came to Baja on his own. I am sure, if he is in the area, that we will hear from him soon.

sidenote: as I went to hang up a flyer in Vizcaino PEMEX, a woman who was there said: I have heard about him... so and so posted his picture on facebook.

that is really fantastic, I think,

[Edited on 9-18-2013 by BajaBlanca]

redmesa - 9-18-2013 at 10:04 AM

Surely, he must have used a bank card by now?

tripledigitken - 9-18-2013 at 10:37 AM

Redmesa makes an excellent point.

Is his pattern to use only cash or more likely debit or credit card. If the later has the family checked into bank records?

Ken

DENNIS - 9-18-2013 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
If the later has the family checked into bank records?

Ken

I think it's been mentioned that bank records are inaccessible without a court order or through the police.

UglyDuckling - 9-18-2013 at 11:07 AM

Gary would typically bring enough cash with him for however long he planned to be away. Don't think I've ever seen him hit an ATM or use plastic in Baja.

DENNIS - 9-18-2013 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UglyDuckling
Gary would typically bring enough cash with him for however long he planned to be away. Don't think I've ever seen him hit an ATM or use plastic in Baja.

OK......since you're familiar with his Baja habits, where do you think he may be, and what do you think he's doing at this moment?

tripledigitken - 9-18-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UglyDuckling

Forget that tool to track him.

Ken

mtgoat666 - 9-18-2013 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
no word yet from campo rene.

are you waiting for email?
don't they have a phone at campo rene?

tripledigitken - 9-18-2013 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
If the later has the family checked into bank records?

Ken

I think it's been mentioned that bank records are inaccessible without a court order or through the police.

All it takes is a password and online records are available. My wife and I can access each others bank and credit card records for instance.

LVPatton - 9-18-2013 at 11:19 AM

Excerpt from email though mentioned.

Our Embassy received report that description of Gary and his car (specifying racks on roof) may have been sighted in Punta Abreojos, 60 miles or so past Guerrero Negro, just this last Sunday the 15th at a fishing tournament. Seen with 'friends' or group of Americans. They are trying now to track down the boat to confirm this was him by name.

DENNIS - 9-18-2013 at 11:26 AM

Quote:

All it takes is a password and online records are available. My wife and I can access each others bank and credit card records for instance.

Getting info on this guy is like pulling teeth. I'm betting his password is buried in a vault.

willyAirstream - 9-18-2013 at 11:44 AM

A good example why adventures / travelers should carry a smart phone with a gps tracker app.

[Edited on 9-18-2013 by willyAirstream]

LaTijereta - 9-18-2013 at 12:02 PM

These work great in the "Known World"...

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

:cool:

chuckie - 9-18-2013 at 12:47 PM

Lot of people talk about them..I dont know any one who actually has one..

willyAirstream - 9-18-2013 at 01:04 PM

A tablet or smartphone gps works anywhere it can see a satellite. I have one. But, lets continue this in another post and not get this post OT.

BajaBlanca - 9-18-2013 at 01:31 PM

Does he have a cell phine? I was told you can be tracked with a cell phone, whether it is on or off.

No phone service in .campo rene. As a matter of fact, internet seems to be iffy these days over there too.

I just sent a U2U to Ralph in Abreojos. Once the car gets back, I will head over to see what I can find out.

UglyDuckling - 9-18-2013 at 02:01 PM

Since Gary's phone isnt a smartphone (old flip phone) and has no signal south of Ensanada I dont believe so

BeemerDan - 9-18-2013 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta

I bought one last year before my solo ride down to Central America, They work really well, and I used the ok button to let my wife know all was well when I couldn't get internet to email her, $$ well spent IMO

SPOT

bajaguy - 9-18-2013 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta

I traded in my Gen 1 SPOT for a new Gen 3. Smaller, easier to use. Currently tracking our trip from Nevada to Baja.

Works great!!!

KurtG - 9-18-2013 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Lot of people talk about them..I dont know any one who actually has one..

While following this thread I have many times thought that a Spot would have eliminated all this. I have had one for 3 years and have never used the "need help" or "911/Rescue" function. I use the "I'm OK and here's where I am" function a couple of times a day while motorcycling around Baja and other places. It costs $98.00/yr and provides Kathy and my daughter reassurance that I'm ok. If suddenly there is no contact they will at least know where I was the previous day and what direction I was headed. I have been riding around Baja for almost 40 years now and had a couple of times when this technology would have helped. Frankly, it is well worth the cost to provide peace of mind those who care about me.

DENNIS - 9-18-2013 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG

While following this thread I have many times thought that a Spot would have eliminated all this.

It's only good if the holder wants to use it. I have a feeling this would not have been the case here.
We've been called upon to assist in finding this man, but pertinent details have been denied us. That is wrong. We should be full aware of what we are being called into.

LVPatton - 9-18-2013 at 06:15 PM

Thanks to all for continued support. We will continue to ignore the negativity. Dennis, what do you want?

DENNIS - 9-18-2013 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all for continued support. We will continue to ignore the negativity. Dennis, what do you want?

Answers to these questions asked yesterday would have been a good start.

Quote:

LVPatton - 9-18-2013 at 07:05 PM

Troll

LVPatton - 9-18-2013 at 07:08 PM

To those so kind on this forum, uncle Dave heading to GN Friday with Manuel.

E X H

EdZeranski - 9-18-2013 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
A tablet or smartphone gps works anywhere it can see a satellite. I have one. But, lets continue this in another post and not get this post OT.

Do the tablets/smartphones have internal GPS receivers or just use the GPS derived timing/location from the accessed cells?
I've used a lot of GPS disciplined system clocks that had internal GPS receivers with external antennas( antennae for the prissy)
but not directly from phones or tablets..just asking

EdZ KG6UTS

chuckie - 9-18-2013 at 07:34 PM

does that mean he has been found?

willyAirstream - 9-18-2013 at 07:35 PM

Quote:

To those so kind on this forum, uncle Dave heading to GN Friday with Manuel.

So he has been found? Any details?

LVPatton - 9-18-2013 at 07:42 PM

he has not been found. Thanks for concern and following this post. It is appreciated.

chuckie - 9-18-2013 at 07:49 PM

take the techie stuff to another thread focus on the lost guy

redmesa - 9-18-2013 at 08:11 PM

Back to money, given true that he budgets cash on hand for his trips then how would he be getting by for10 days over his expected trip? You need money even in Baja.

LVPatton - 9-18-2013 at 08:24 PM

Possible he is not short on funds at this point.

lizard lips - 9-19-2013 at 06:46 PM

When I first saw this missing persons post it hit home, as they all do. I have worked on several as a Private Investigator in Baja and some did not all have good outcomes. After a few days of reading posts I decided to call Jennifer whose phone number was listed on the flyer. On September 15 I explained to Jennifer who I was and that I live in Ensenada and am knowledgeable in missing persons investigations in Mexico. I also made a point that I was not calling her to solicit business in that I have a lot of assignments right now and would not be able to take time to work this but I could help with my ideas and thoughts on who needs to be contacted but this needs to be done right now. She told me that Garys brother Dave went south as far as BOLA and did not turn up anything. Jenn told me that she would forward my information to her family who was organizing a search. She also told me that her Aunt is a county sheriff and that she was involved. She did not ask me anything regarding what should be done and said she for me not to call Dave in that he will not answer any calls that he does not recognize the number. I said I would be waiting for Daves call and I could help with a plan when the search continues.

No call on the 16th. On the 17th I sent the below email to Jennifer at 11:00 a.m.:

Jenn,

I really don't know why your family has not contacted me yet but maybe you can explain that later however right now I want to get this information to you so you can start contacting some of the facilities that I would if I was doing this investigation. You must remember that time is very important and every day that goes by this process will be more difficult.

First off I don't present myself as an "expert" but since I have done this kind of investigation on many occasions and in many different countries I believe I could, at the very least, help you. As I also said I am not looking for compensation with my ideas to help you along the way. I have enough work right now to last me for quite awhile. I have never had a family member in this position and I know it must be very frustrating and that is why I am offering my help.

I saw on the BajaNomad board that someone suggested to hire an airplane to search for your Uncles vehicle. I believe this is a waste of time right now and other things need to be done first.

In the flyer I am glad you did not offer a reward for information. If you did you will receive calls from undesirable individuals who have no knowledge of Garys current location and will attempt to scam you.

Please contact all junk yards and tow companies from Ensenada to Mulege to verify if the vehicle has been recovered. My brother in law here in Ensenada owns the largest tow facility in the city and is contracted by the Federal de Caminos (Mexican Highway Patrol) to tow for them. Other tow companies south of Ensenada are also contracted by the federals so this needs to be done. A personal appearance to these companies is your best bet. Telephone calls do not generate much enthusiasm and while there several flyers need to be given to them. Of course this includes all city, state, and individually owned tow businesses. The vehicle could have been stripped and what is left could be at one of these companies junk yards.

Another one of my family members is the "commandant" of the Federal de Caminos here in Ensenada. I understand that flyers have been given to the Mexican Highway Patrol but in order to make sure that this information does not fade away daily notices must be supplied to each patrol officer with Garys description and vehicle information up and down the peninsula.

One of my good friend for over 20 years is Marco Novelo who was just voted in as "Delagado" (Federal Congressman) and his office is located next to the City of Ensenada "Presidencia" just south of the city. He is also the owner of Las Rosas Hotel in Ensenada. His congressional area is from the city of Ensenada to BOLA. You MUST contact Marco and ask for a letter from him that can be presented to city, state, and federal facilities that need to be contacted. These letters go a long way and especially now with tourism on the re-bound and Marco as well as his staff will be very helpful. Marco speaks English. No one in government wants to see tourism decline and I assume they will be more than helpful. Marco could get a flyer to every Mexican Federal Government employee from Ensenada to BOLA.

These other items need to be done right now: As much as everyone wants your Uncle in good health and return unharmed you have to look at the other side of the issue. Dental records need to be available and sent to any agency that may need them. I was in a position once that this became a problem and was not resolved for a few weeks when it could have been completed the same day. Also medical history regarding any broken bones, surgeries, and tattoos that Gary may have had. Local offices of the Cruz Rojo (Red Cross) as well as the local Semefo (Morgue) need to be contacted.

Police agencies in each and every small town and rancho and their out posts need to be contacted personally and flyers given.

Each contact that you make wherever it is get a name of the person you spoke with and their telephone number so that you can follow up on a semi weekly basis.

The American Embassy can not really help you. They will make a file but as far as them contacting anyone is not part of their protocol in missing persons issues.

You had mentioned that your Aunt is a Deputy Sheriff in California. I am sure that the sheriffs office has a liaison with Mexican authorities and this is great but you cannot depend on their counterpart to hit the streets. You need someone on the ground to get these things done and it is time consuming.

These are just a few ideas I have. I'm sure I will come up with more as time goes by. It is so nice that others have offered their time to post flyers and contact who they know in the areas they live but they must continue their efforts as much as they can in the days ahead.

If there is anything I can do for you please let me know. Run your ideas past me because I have been there on prior investigations and you don't want to spin your wheels.

All the best,

Dan

I want to be clear why I think junk yards and tow companies need to be contacted...If Gary was murdered I believe everything in his vehicle would have been taken as well as the vehicle stripped. There is a chance the 4 runner would be at one of these yards.

It was not until the morning of Sept. 18th that a woman, Macarena, called me and said she was part of Garys family and was calling from Las Vegas. She told me that she was happy that I made contact and then asked what needed to be done. I asked her if she read my email that was sent to Jennifer and she said no. I told her that she needed to read this and start from there. I explained that someone from the family needs to go to San Quintin and contact everyone I listed as well as all police, hospitals, clinics, restaurants, taco stands etc. Make sure they also bring a lot of flyers to post everywhere... Macarena asked how much an investigator would charge to do this for them and I told her it could be as high as 10k depending on what leads they have but most investigators would ask for a retainer for maybe 3k and when this amount runs out, and a detailed report is submitted, they could discuss further investigation and another retainer would be asked for. She was told that a family member or friend could do everything a paid investigator could do but you must start now. I again made sure that Macarena was aware that I could not accept this assignment and that I was giving my thoughts only as a concerned person that has experience in issues as these. Macarena, as far as I was concerned, was trying to wrap up the conversation way to early only after about 6 minutes of talking. A few things I did learn from her was that Gary was expected back home two weeks ago which would have been on the 4th but we know he was a guest at Jardines Hotel in SQ on the 5th. This was the last know confirmed information we have. I asked about Garys mental state and she mentioned that he may have been suffering from memory issues (her words-not mine). This is also new news. Macarena reported that it was unusual that Gary has not called. She said he would have called at least every other day.

I thought I would pass on this information because it appears to me there is no sense of urgency with the way the family is handling this but maybe they are doing something. WHAT! If they are I wish they would pass on what is known or what they are doing with all of us. They were the ones that made it known to BajaNomad so we should be included. Because the family appear to not be very excited with current events then we here are also not to concerned but I am and I'm sure many of you are.

LVPatton - 9-19-2013 at 07:05 PM

My wifes conversation with you was short due to your high level of negativity. There were some helpful tips and for that we are thankful. You also made it very clear you are important, busy and yes would charge $10,000

[Edited on 9-20-2013 by LVPatton]

mtgoat666 - 9-19-2013 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
My wifes conversation with you was short due to your high level of negativity. There were some helpful tips and for that we are thankful. You also made it very clear you are important, busy and yes would charge $10,000

[Edited on 9-20-2013 by LVPatton]

This lvpatton sounds like a nut. Perhaps the "searchers" are scammers, ex wives, who knows? Maybe the lost one has good reason to stay lost.

Searchers that refuse to answer phones?

Anyone actually met the searching family? Or are nomads just responding to emails from Nigerians?

Seems odd.

Mulegena - 9-19-2013 at 08:09 PM

Yes, there's a history of people logging on to Nomad asking for help finding missing family members.

I'm sure that a family with a missing loved one is stressed out.
Also, they're not active members on this Board and don't know us any more than we them.

Tensions can run high at times like this.

We don't know what's going on, but we're compelled to do what we think is the right thing given the facts we've been given. Nomads have always stepped up, no matter what the circumstances of the disappearance and no matter the outcome. It's what we do.

DENNIS - 9-19-2013 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
You also made it very clear you are important, busy and yes would charge $10,000

I don't believe this. Paste it up here so we don't have to question your credibility for anything else.....past or future.

MMc - 9-19-2013 at 08:56 PM

These folks are hurting and desperate, Just because they are not doing what we think they should or not does not give us the right to pile on. I think the area we should be checking out is SQ to the boarder. I sounds like he was heading home. LVPatton I hope I have somebody like you when I'm MIA.
Goat please climb back under your rock, You've not gone south in how long?? You are a but thead!!!!! I am beginning to dream of a one track in remote Baja.:lol::lol::lol:

motoged - 9-19-2013 at 11:04 PM

This type of back-and-forth seems to happen with EVERY missing persons thread....some folks try to sincerely help....some accuse the "victim"....some get off on their techno-gizmo tangents...and others just get weird....:?::?::?:

Bubba - 9-20-2013 at 04:26 AM

Something seems very odd with this entire situation....

Actions speak louder than words!

Marla Daily - 9-20-2013 at 09:10 AM

Lizard Lips. You say your brother in law in Ensenada owns the largest tow facility in the city and is contracted by the Federal de Caminos (Mexican Highway Patrol) to tow for them. You have told us you do not want to be paid. AS A NOMAD COURTESY, HAVE YOU CONTACTED HIM? Please let us know.

If it were my relative, I would use every tool available as fast as possible. And using a plane is simply one more tool—and a very efficient one. We don't know from the family if money is a factor or not. There are private planes flying down the peninsula regularly. If they knew to be on the lookout, many of them would be happy to go the extra mile to do so. Aeromedicos has 8-12 planes that go to Serenidad/Mulege and Cadeje/San Juanico almost every month, for example. Their next trip is Oct. 18-20.

Gary Patton has been missing now for more than two weeks. By now it is safe to assume something unfortunate has happened to prevent him from contacting his family.

We are driving to Loreto next Thursday and will do all we can to scout the roadside.

It would be nice to know exactly what the family has been able to do, to date.

bajaguy - 9-20-2013 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
".......And using a plane is simply one more tool—and a very efficient one.........

Marla....yes, an aircraft is a very efficient tool.........HOWEVER

You need the right type of aircraft, and you need a QUALIFIED pilot and observers/scanners that have flown SAR missions and know what they are doing. The pilot HAS to keep his head in the c-ckpit and looking straight ahead. The observers/scanners are the ones who have to look.............and if you are not trained, finding an object on the ground from a safe altitude is not easy.

I speak from 15 years as a current Civil Air Patrol member and also a qualifies Observer/Scanner.

Sweetwater - 9-20-2013 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
This type of back-and-forth seems to happen with EVERY missing persons thread....some folks try to sincerely help....some accuse the "victim"....some get off on their techno-gizmo tangents...and others just get weird....:?::?::?:

That "blaming the victim" is endemic here in Utardia.....and the longer a situation like this goes on, the more convoluted it gets....I always hope for a clean and quick resolution.....sorry to hear it hasn't happened.....still hold hope that it will....

gallesram - 9-20-2013 at 11:17 AM

I for one found Lizard's post really informative; I wouldn't have thought to take those actions when looking for a missing person down there. Like everyone else, I hope that Gary Patton is found in good shape (people do go down to Baja to get away from everything and hopefully that's the case with him). I appreciate Lizard taking the time to post the information for the rest of us to consider if we're ever in this situation.

Marla Daily - 9-20-2013 at 02:05 PM

Baja Guy—

Although I am not trained in Search and Rescue operations, I will always believe in the power of SAR by plane and helicopter. In October 1987 my brother was lost at sea 60 miles off shore on an urchin boat that sank at 6:30 in the evening. By the time family was notified the next morning, the Coast Guard said there was no hope—that nothing more could be done. Regardless, I chartered a fish spotting plane (with dye markers); a twin Britten Norman Islander, and a Bell Long Ranger helicopter, and all 3 were in the air by 10:00 A.M. armed with nothing but binoculars and hope. At exactly noon, we (brother, sister and brother-in-law) in the separate planes found the flotsam of the vessel, along with two of the three who had been aboard—alive and still treading water after 16-1/2 hours—including my brother. Green dye markers were thrown, and Coast Guard flew out a helicopter for a water rescue, which we watched as we circled in the air. THAT was a good day!

Sometimes miracles need a little assistance. We all hope Gary Patton will be found.

monoloco - 9-20-2013 at 02:19 PM

Searching all of northwestern Baja by plane would take weeks, cost many thousands of dollars, and would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. It would make more sense if there was more than a vague idea of where he was headed. Seeing as how no one seems to know if this guy was heading north or south when he was last seen, where would a plane search even start? Marla, in your brother's case, you at least had some idea as where his boat sunk, this is a completely different situation.

[Edited on 9-21-2013 by monoloco]

BajaBlanca - 9-20-2013 at 07:39 PM

The police n Abreojos are actively canvassing people, they even went out to Campo Rene. our friends who have been in C R have not seen Gary.

There is a lot of good information here, lets focus on the positive.

shari - 9-20-2013 at 08:59 PM

Blanca...could you find out if he maybe participated in the Abreojos fishing tournament? Here all the entrants are on a list...any way to check that list? I wonder if Manuel arrived in GN today as planned and if they are going out to Abre?

Marla Daily - 9-21-2013 at 08:01 AM

Soul Patch—You are absolutely correct. We did whatever was necessary when it meant even a remote chance of saving my brother's life. I didn't ask the cost. As it turned out, all three air-participants were so happy with our successful mission, that none of the three: Aspen Helicopters, Channel Islands Aviation, nor the private fish-spotter charged us—even for fuel.

I don't want to hijack this thread. My point in bringing up Aeromedicos, Baja Bush Pilots and Flying Sams, is that there are people who can help with planes if they know Gary Patton is missing and may have gone off the road. It is an efficient use of available resources at no cost.

Lizard Lips made many extremely valuable suggestions as well. Not knowing is the worst part of an emotional ordeal like this.

mtgoat666 - 9-21-2013 at 08:09 AM

given the time passed, his age, and his being solo and planning to be in remote areas,... chances are he is incapacitated in the boonies. airsearch is best option. air search along his probable route. perhaps car is just broken down? perhaps he/car are in a ravine along the road.

BajaBlanca - 9-21-2013 at 08:23 AM

Shari, good point. I will try to find out if he was in the tournament.

redmesa - 9-21-2013 at 08:32 AM

It is not looking good unless he chose to disappear.

DENNIS - 9-21-2013 at 08:54 AM

Does the man have medical issues? Psychological aberrations perhaps? If we're trying to think like he thinks, that may be a problem.

I've asked this before and got nothing.

DENNIS - 9-21-2013 at 09:17 AM

It appears the concerned family/friends have withdrawn from participation here.
Absent of current news and developments, I suggest we do the same. This could deteriorate to a snipe hunt and we wouldn't know it.

BajaBlanca - 9-21-2013 at 09:25 AM

As far as I know, he is of sound mind ... He does have some health issues, I am not sure what.

He did NOT fish in the Abreojos tournament.

His name has been sent to Red Cross.

chuckie - 9-21-2013 at 09:37 AM

Blanca, Thanks for continuing to pursue this....Until some resolution is made, I think we all have to think its still a problem..Some of us wish we could do more......

BajaLuna - 9-21-2013 at 12:30 PM

thanks Shari and Blanca and everyone else for all that you are doing! I know if it was my loved one I would be sooo worried. I think it's important to keep moving forward with helping to find him, as much as anyone is able to. I wish I could help, I feel helpless.

Baja Nomads with their ears and eyes and connections can be a powerful thing, Let's hope they find him soon! May the force be with all who are helping!

SoCalPattonCrew - 9-21-2013 at 12:32 PM

Thank you to everyone who has been helping in our search to find Gary. I was finally able to get registered today and able to send out an update. We have family that is down there now and will be going to the last sighting of Gary, they will arrive there tonight or tomorrow. I am getting a nightly update and I am making sure that everyone is informed as information is rolling in.

We, The Patton Family and & all our Friends, have not withdrawn from finding Gary. We are listening to all the positive thoughts and ideas from our friends everywhere on Baja Nomad’s, Facebook and Friends of Friends. We are making sure we are not leaving any rocks unturned. We truly appreciate all the love and support that we are receiving during this time. It means the world to me and my family. Thank you so much! xoxo

BajaLuna - 9-21-2013 at 12:34 PM

exactly, chuckie!

shari - 9-21-2013 at 12:38 PM

thank you for that....I do hope that you followed up Lizard Lips suggestions about calling the federal police junk yards....coralones...as abandoned cars do show up there. I still think the cheapest air search would be with Aero Guerrero Negro with a couple family members aboard as spotters...their pilots know every inch of this part of baja and could cover alot of territory in a day. I imagine they are now in GN. The word is being spread far and wide and people are looking out for him.

windgrrl - 9-21-2013 at 12:49 PM

Thanks to those who act. Hard to think of finding someone in that vast space while sitting at a keyboard. Found this K38 Facebook link to surfer info around Rosario, though.

https://www.facebook.com/K38ElMorroRosaritoBajaCaMexico?ref=...

Best wishes to family on your journey,
W

[Edited on 9-21-2013 by windgrrl]

DENNIS - 9-21-2013 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
...their pilots know every inch of this part of baja and could cover alot of territory in a day.

Very true. They even navigate using road maps.

lizard lips - 9-21-2013 at 01:13 PM

I am so glad to hear the Pattons are coming down. The response from LV Patton after my last post was surely out of frustration so no worries here. If it was a family member of mine I would be a complete tool right now.

To the Patton family: If I in any way made you feel that I was being negative I am sorry for that. My intent for my email and post was for charting a direction for others to follow and I hope they do. My offer to help you is still open however like I said I cannot come south right now. If you would like to call me please do and I will be happy to discuss anything and answer any questions you may have.

I gave a letter to Delegado Marco Novello on Thursday with detailed information, as much as we have, and a copy of the flyer. I have also contacted my brother in law who is the owner of the junk yard and his brother who is owner of another junk yard in SQ and they have no information---yet. They are spreading the word. My other family member with the Mexican Highway Patrol is not currently in town however will return tomorrow and I will see him then.

You guys are awesome and we need to follow this through to the conclusion. Lets pray that Gary is safe and sound and having a ball!

I also want to THANK YOU ALL for the kind words. Lets do this for Gary. Anytime you go to the market or get gas ask them to hang up the flyer. It only takes one person that may have seen him and then we can go from there...Good Luck

DENNIS - 9-21-2013 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
ask them to hang up the flyer.

I've been through this, so I know of what I speak. The flyer should have a reward for verifiable information. Nothing inspires public action like money. Otherwise, people here are reluctant to get involved. Disappearances down here are not what they are in the states.

micah202 - 9-22-2013 at 12:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
ask them to hang up the flyer.

I've been through this, so I know of what I speak. The flyer should have a reward for verifiable information. Nothing inspires public action like money. Otherwise, people here are reluctant to get involved. Disappearances down here are not what they are in the states.

....though a 'rewardo' poster can bring up other issues-depending on where you are down there.....

..........in TJ,I'm told it can mean 'kidnap-me' to some:o:o

...good luck with Gary,,,I hope all turns out well,,,wish I was down there to help!

[Edited on 9-22-2013 by micah202]

DENNIS - 9-22-2013 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

....though a 'rewardo' poster can bring up other issues-depending on where you are down there.....

..........in TJ,I'm told it can mean 'kidnap-me' to some:o:o

Good point.
My idea is to reward for verifiable info only. That would keep the amount at a manageable level.

[Edited on 9-22-2013 by DENNIS]

chuckie - 9-22-2013 at 07:39 AM

Dennis, back off....A reward generally attracts way more bad input than good..you made your point....The family will the decision that makes sense to them...

SoCalPattonCrew - 9-22-2013 at 07:46 AM

Good morning friends and family, my Dad and Aunt Sue made it GN yesterday and will be on there way to the loop today with our friend Servas. My dad mentioned that he saw tons of missing flyers for Gary at gas stations and checkpoints all the way down, thank you for everyone that has helped with that. My dad says he might not be able to call for the next couple days depending on the service in the area. He will be stopping at Blanca and Less house so he might be able to email or call from there. I can't say thank you enough to everyone who has helped in one way or another, all your thoughts and prayers mean so much to everyone in my family.
Jenn

rhintransit - 9-22-2013 at 08:40 AM

wishing you the best, and resolution soon. we are all watching/hoping, wishing we could do more.

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew

Good morning friends and family, my Dad and Aunt Sue made it GN yesterday and will be on there way to the loop today with our friend Servas. My dad mentioned that he saw tons of missing flyers for Gary at gas stations and checkpoints all the way down, thank you for everyone that has helped with that. My dad says he might not be able to call for the next couple days depending on the service in the area. He will be stopping at Blanca and Less house so he might be able to email or call from there. I can't say thank you enough to everyone who has helped in one way or another, all your thoughts and prayers mean so much to everyone in my family.
Jenn

DENNIS - 9-22-2013 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Dennis, back off....A reward generally attracts way more bad input than good..you made your point....The family will the decision that makes sense to them...

OK, Chuckie. I'm over and out of it for good, but perhaps you can give us your source of information. It might help to clarify your point.

shari - 9-22-2013 at 09:18 AM

I talked to Savas's dad Juvenal a couple nights ago and glad they are helping with the search...they are friends of mine and good folks.

BajaBlanca - 9-22-2013 at 09:56 AM

Hopefully there is going to be good news real soon. Positive thoughts today!

BajaRat - 9-22-2013 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LocoMotive
Quote:
Dennis, back off....A reward generally attracts way more bad input than good..you made your point....The family will the decision that makes sense to them... [/quot

Very good advice. Dennis, go lay down.

wOW ! First post here huh ? you trying to make friends ? :o

BajaRat - 9-22-2013 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew
Thank you to everyone who has been helping in our search to find Gary. I was finally able to get registered today and able to send out an update. We have family that is down there now and will be going to the last sighting of Gary, they will arrive there tonight or tomorrow. I am getting a nightly update and I am making sure that everyone is informed as information is rolling in.

We, The Patton Family and & all our Friends, have not withdrawn from finding Gary. We are listening to all the positive thoughts and ideas from our friends everywhere on Baja Nomad’s, Facebook and Friends of Friends. We are making sure we are not leaving any rocks unturned. We truly appreciate all the love and support that we are receiving during this time. It means the world to me and my family. Thank you so much! xoxo

Hang in there, our thoughts and hearts are with you.

DianaT - 9-22-2013 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Does the man have medical issues? Psychological aberrations perhaps? If we're trying to think like he thinks, that may be a problem.

I've asked this before and got nothing.

Dennis, your questions and suggestions have been very good. When looking for a missing person, it is important to know if there are issues as you mention above, or maybe real money issues, or maybe a criminal issue. It all makes a difference and are valid questions. Is there a possible reason he might not want to be found.

People on this board have been asked before to look for someone involved in criminal activity and was not told the whole story at first which could be dangerous. And the other issues can make a real difference in how the search proceeds and how someone might approach the missing person.

So IMHO, your questions were quite valid and the criticism out of line.

For the sake of his loved ones, I hope he is fine and is found --- hoping he just wanted to be alone for a while. Best of luck with the search and may it have a positive outcome for everyone.

[Edited on 9-22-2013 by DianaT]

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  24