BajaNomad

Albergue

Gypsy Jan - 10-4-2013 at 10:05 AM

I came across this word in something I was reading the other day and it looked familiar, but I just couldn't place it, so I did some research.

Ya gotta love how descriptive and common sense the various meanings in Spanish can be.

"albergue [al-ber’-gay]
noun

1. Lodging or lodging-house. (m)

2. Den for wild beasts. (m)

Albergue para jóvenes -> youth hostel"

DENNIS - 10-4-2013 at 10:20 AM

Seems to mean a lot of things:

albergue......

hostel.....albergue, hostal, parador, hostería, residencia, lugar

shelter......albergue, abrigo, amparo, asilo, cobertizo, garita

refuge ........refugio, asilo, albergue, recurso

harbor .......puerto, albergue, hospedaje

harbour ......puerto, albergue, hospedaje

bajabuddha - 10-4-2013 at 10:22 AM

Jeez, and i thought it was the Capitol City of my State!! (J/K) :lol:

Osprey - 10-4-2013 at 11:30 AM

The word is often used to describe the many facilities all over Mexico that exist to house school children for primary and secondary school who have no good other way to reach the teaching facility. These internado serve as places where young students can have meals/baths/beds in safety from Monday nights till Friday mornings when their parents pick them up to take them back to the far flung ranchos and farms till the following week begins.

shari - 10-4-2013 at 03:22 PM

it is also used to describe the emergency shelters where people can go during heavy rains/flooding, hurricanes etc. they always announce on the radio where they are located....schools, churches etc.

bajabuddha - 10-4-2013 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Jeez, and i thought it was the Capitol City of my State!! (J/K) :lol:
Oh, no-- New Mexico jokes.

Teacher to her mostly-hispanic group: "OK, class, you have the rest of the period to write a short essay. Please leave quietly when you're done."

In two minutes, Pablo hands her his paper and walks out of the class.

Written on the paper: "Toney Anaya". :lol:

Had to google him. Before my time, only been here 10 years this November. Seems like quite an inovator, deeply educated and consciencious towards the State (can't say the same for B.R.). So i take it he was only 5'2" tall? j/k, bb. :D

bajacalifornication - 10-4-2013 at 07:35 PM

Albergue; En pocas palabras. Is a save place. You can call A temporary home

luv2fish - 10-4-2013 at 07:55 PM

Thought that was a swimming pool...

bajacalifornication - 10-4-2013 at 07:59 PM

That would be an Alberca or Picina

DENNIS - 10-4-2013 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
The word is often used to describe the many facilities all over Mexico that exist to house school children for primary and secondary school who have no good other way to reach the teaching facility. These internado serve as places where young students can have meals/baths/beds in safety from Monday nights till Friday mornings when their parents pick them up to take them back to the far flung ranchos and farms till the following week begins.

Well...who didn't know that. I don't even know why the question came up.

DENNIS - 10-4-2013 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornication
That would be an Alberca or Picina

Correcto. "Alberca".....in este cuello de los bosques.