BajaNomad

why is Pacifico so much better in a can than the bottle?

deanfootlong - 10-15-2013 at 11:46 AM

and why the heck can't we get Pacifico in a can here in the US?
Each time I go to baja I swear Im going to bring back cases of Pacifico in a can but always forget. I always regret not bringing it back.

woody with a view - 10-15-2013 at 11:51 AM

it isn't. cold glass is a much better insulator than aluminum.

willardguy - 10-15-2013 at 11:57 AM

aluminum is a superior package for blocking sunlight, the scourge of beer. even microbrews are opting for aluminum to preserve their flavor. you're not the only one asking this, take a look!

http://whiteglossyundergroundboard.com/2012/10/05/tasty-liba...

deanfootlong - 10-15-2013 at 12:09 PM

ok. glad im not the only one. So, wonder why we cant get this in the US....

CortezBlue - 10-15-2013 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
aluminum is a superior package for blocking sunlight, the scourge of beer. even microbrews are opting for aluminum to preserve their flavor. you're not the only one asking this, take a look!

http://whiteglossyundergroundboard.com/2012/10/05/tasty-liba...

Actually they are opting for Aluminum with a lining. I am not sure what the lining is made from but I would assume some type of plastic. I think Ball has developed this technology and is pushing it big time. However, I prefer Pacifico in a bottle

MMc - 10-15-2013 at 12:16 PM

"Better" relative. :lol:

rts551 - 10-15-2013 at 12:23 PM

relative is correct. I prefer the bottle as well. cans are convenient when I am camping, riding or at the races.

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 12:23 PM

I wonder how long it will be before they start packaging beer in bags?

http://justinsbrewreview.blogspot.mx/2011/04/chinese-beer-ba...

find a vein

EdZeranski - 10-15-2013 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Hang it on a stick then hook up the IV! Good question though....wines are square with a handle.

EdZ KG6UTS, Plain old Tecate next to computer

willardguy - 10-15-2013 at 12:32 PM

Quote:

http://justinsbrewreview.blogspot.mx/2011/04/chinese-beer-ba...
bag o' beer! how cool is that? yup beer can linings are a god send, remember keystone's bottled beer taste in a can?
how about in stadiums where you get a plastic bottle, surprised that hasnt hit the shelves

CJ - 10-15-2013 at 12:43 PM

Try a Tecate sometime.....you'll never look back:bounce:

Bob and Susan - 10-15-2013 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ

yea...it'll step you up to the "hard stuff"...tequilla:lol:

Lee - 10-15-2013 at 12:59 PM

I'm visual. Large part of the Pacifico experience is looking at the beer in the bottle, tripping on the color. Cans can't do that but are good for different reasons.

willardguy - 10-15-2013 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
I'm visual. Large part of the Pacifico experience is looking at the beer in the bottle, tripping on the color. Cans can't do that but are good for different reasons.
totally agree Lee but you gotta admit for a beer can they're pretty striking!:yes:

1st one free??

EdZeranski - 10-15-2013 at 01:42 PM

Quote:

Wahoo!!! An entry drug, thanks :lol:

EdZ

CortezBlue - 10-15-2013 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Quote:
Originally posted by CJ

If that is the case, try a Pezón

Take a bottle of beer, spill out a little beer so the neck is empty, squeeze about 1/2 or 1/4 of a key lime in the bottle. Top off the neck with your favorite tequila and enjoy a Pezón, I'm sure you've had a similar experience in your younger days:saint:

paranewbi - 10-15-2013 at 01:49 PM

Can't play a tune blowing into a can

twist this...,

EdZeranski - 10-15-2013 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
Can't play a tune blowing into a can

Right! And...you probably cant open one bag with another like you could with the Carta Blanca bottles.

EdZ

David K - 10-15-2013 at 02:38 PM

Cans of Pacifico are fine, and great for off roading... but pour it into a glass for drinking... or in Baja, a beer cup!

Blue cans (2005)...

[Edited on 10-15-2013 by David K]

comitan - 10-15-2013 at 03:23 PM

Beer in cans:yawn::yawn::yawn:

capt. mike - 10-15-2013 at 03:34 PM

i get XX dos eques here in 24 oz cans all the time 2 for $4.

way better than pacific throw...to my buds anyway.

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

Geee whiz...a voice from the past.

How are you, Mike?

David K - 10-15-2013 at 05:27 PM

Quote:

Stay Thirsty My Friends...

mtgoat666 - 10-15-2013 at 06:26 PM

my 2 cents: cold beverages always taste better in a bottle relative to a can!

Marc - 10-15-2013 at 07:34 PM

According to my Baja travel Bud....beer stays fresher in a can. BTW he is a vice president of Miller Brewing Co.

woody with a view - 10-15-2013 at 07:41 PM

when was the last time anyone poured a beer into the dirt because it wasn't fresh? maybe too warm or a fly was in it, but not fresh?:lol:

Marc - 10-15-2013 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
when was the last time anyone poured a beer into the dirt because it wasn't fresh? maybe too warm or a fly was in it, but not fresh?:lol:

As long as it's cold i really don't care. I'll even drink Pacifico.

Carta Blanca

Nappo - 10-15-2013 at 09:02 PM

Carta Blanca was always my beer of choice as a youngster surfing K-38/54/other places in the 70's 80's. My buddy and I stopped at every liquor store on a trip to San Quintin a few years ago (OK< not every store) and couldn't find it. The only place that has it is Bev Mo, and they get a kick out of my story. Anyone know where to buy it traveling down hwy 1 or what the heck happened to it in Baja. Seems Tecate has a monopoly and whoa, Bud Lite - come on!

bajaguy - 10-15-2013 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deanfootlong
Each time I go to baja I swear Im going to bring back cases of Pacifico in a can......

Not if CBP finds it. You only get to (legally) bring back one liter if you live in California

Mexitron - 10-15-2013 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

Back in the early days it seemed we'd always run out of ice before the trip was over so we became connoisseurs of warm beer----Superior was the best warm while Tecate was awful. We also, in desperation and far from civilization(eh, liquor store), tried Welch's grape juice mixed with Orendain Tequila---still can't get that taste out of my mind ;)

David K - 10-15-2013 at 10:15 PM

Is this where we recall memories of XXX (Tres Equis) or the original Mexicali Beer? How about the Carta Blanca bottles with the cap remover molded into the bottom of their glass bottles (had to buy at least two)!:light:

ballzcowboy - 10-16-2013 at 06:52 AM

Give me a cold bottle or give me death. While on the subject of bottles; does anyone know the true return deposit for Corona in Ensenada? Last time the Agency across from Costco wanted six cases of empties for one new full case.

DENNIS - 10-16-2013 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ballzcowboy
Give me a cold bottle or give me death. While on the subject of bottles; does anyone know the true return deposit for Corona in Ensenada? Last time the Agency across from Costco wanted six cases of empties for one new full case.

I don't know of anyone who messes with the deposit bottles anymore except bars. They are a PITA.

what the hell is a PITA ???

captkw - 10-16-2013 at 08:52 AM

ballzcowboy - 10-16-2013 at 09:41 AM

Dennis you at least you know of one now. Since the price of a case of Corona (returnables) is the same at Costco without paying a deposit whunot return them. It's good recycling, and free beer is always good. Keeping a empty case box for empties maybe a PITA for you but simple enough for me. Besides PITA is a word reserved for that weird pocket bread.
back to the the question. Does anyone know what the deposit is on Corona bottles?

DavidE - 10-16-2013 at 12:15 PM

Shorthand for painintheass

tripledigitken - 10-16-2013 at 12:29 PM

"why is Pacifico so much better in a can than the bottle?"

Can't say I agree with the original poster's opinion.

I vote bottle for taste, can for boating and other misc. activities.

Pacifico isn't my favorite beer, it isn't even in the top ten, unless I am in Baja. I prefer ales over lagers. If a want a lager type beer I'll pick a good Pilsner like Pilsner Urquell.

Drinking beer out of a can is like drinking wine out of a plastic cup, IMO.

Ken

[Edited on 10-16-2013 by tripledigitken]

DENNIS - 10-16-2013 at 12:39 PM

It's all good...even Tecate Rojo that once upon a time would be a lobotomy in a can.

DavidE - 10-16-2013 at 01:01 PM

I sorta think I like keg beer better. Foamy creamy head on the mug. No heating applied before bottling or canning. Why microbrewery pubs are doing so well in Mexico.

Tecate, Pacifico, Crown, all of them sell beer by the keg. The trick is finding out where.

I've tried many cervezas and my preference is Montejo, or Negro Leon. Both are from Yucatan. All the others taste like Budweiser to me.

Tbone - 10-16-2013 at 01:03 PM

Carta Blanca is my favorite brew but no matter what beer I drink I like it way better in a bottle.

DENNIS - 10-16-2013 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tbone
Carta Blanca is my favorite brew but no matter what beer I drink I like it way better in a bottle.

Plus...they have that nifty opener in the bottom of the bottle.

pop another

EdZeranski - 10-16-2013 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Is this where we recall memories of XXX (Tres Equis) or the original Mexicali Beer? How about the Carta Blanca bottles with the cap remover molded into the bottom of their glass bottles (had to buy at least two)!:light:

Remember Dos Equis with the foil seal on the bottle? Not sure what the metal as but it peeled off like lead or zinc. The top opener under the Carta Blanca was always a winner.

EdZ

DENNIS - 10-16-2013 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EdZeranski

Remember Dos Equis with the foil seal on the bottle? Not sure what the metal as but it peeled off like lead or zinc.

EdZ

I remember when Dos Equis was dark and Tres Equis was lite.
I also remember when Jesus was a surfer.
I be old.

mulegemichael - 10-16-2013 at 07:39 PM

denny....probably older than you want to admit...but whatever...this topic is about beer; pacifico in particular.....i like pulling that long, tall bottle out of a cooler full of beer and ice, popping the top off and tipping it back on a hot afternoon...really...nothing quite beats it...but, i will admit, when out in the boat, the cans DO work....my vote; an icecold bottle of pacifico; just had a couple today!!!

MitchMan - 10-16-2013 at 07:57 PM

I drink Pacifico in bottles at home, Pacifico in cans when fishing the Baja.

Pacifico in bottles: keep bottles in the refrigerator to chill. When you want to drink one, take it out of the refer and put it in the freezer in the plastic bucket that contains the ice cubes for exactly 12 minutes. I use a timer..then drink it fast. Hits your brain better.

The problem with the above method is that you get t where you can't stand simply refrigerated bottled beer...not cold enough.

mcfez - 10-17-2013 at 06:45 AM

Cans with a "double-crimped" seal, are better than bottles at preventing air from getting in — air being one of the main enemies of a brew. Cans also take up far less room for those camping trips :-)

Being a prior bar(s) owner..........we never stocked can beer! Everyone thought the glass was superior in taste and coldness.

DENNIS - 10-17-2013 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
— air being one of the main enemies of a brew.

As well as light. Pop the top and drink fast. :light:

mcfez - 10-17-2013 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
— air being one of the main enemies of a brew.

As well as light. Pop the top and drink fast. :light:

Drink in the dark? :-)

We were always told never to store our beer inventory in the heat ......which will indeed influence the beer.

For the beer lovers here at the BN:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store

My dog prefers the bottle

durrelllrobert - 10-17-2013 at 08:57 AM

daveB - 10-17-2013 at 09:17 AM

Loved the dos equis (lager, the green bottle) while camping on the mainland. Came in cardboard boxes of twenty, kept them out of the rig, c-ckroaches, you know...delivered to your door. So good after the snorkle around the coral.

Pacifico? not so great in Yuma, but cross over to Los Algadonos, those cold, bottled Pa
cificos...mas rico!

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by daveB]

wessongroup - 10-17-2013 at 09:30 AM

beer saved the world ... it's a fact

Now just sit back with a cold one and enjoy both the cold one, and the information ..... ya might need more than one, so be prepared ... ya know the Boy Scout Motto ... :biggrin:

That is, if ya have the time and beer (brand is not important at this time of the day) ... :lol::lol:

A mind is a terrible thing to "waste" ... :):)

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by wessongroup]

Bajajorge - 10-17-2013 at 10:14 AM

Which is best? It's all in the eyes of the beholder, or should I say the palate of the beholder.:biggrin:

Ballena's are Best...

Mexray - 10-17-2013 at 10:55 AM

...Like Robert's pooch pic above - Pacifico ALWAYS tastes best while you wiggle your toes in the sand at a Mexican beach..!

Some of our fondest memories are at a beach palapa on Isla de la Piedra, across the port of Mazatlan - with an ice cold Pacifico Ballena in one's hand with a couple of lime slices...

They had a couple of those old style Coke machines that a big 'tub' with the bottles standing in icy cold water with big chunks of ice...

We were always 'forced' to enjoy our ballena's before they warmed up in the afternoon, as we wiggled our toes in the sand, of course...

The Pacifico brewery was just across the port, and we could exchange our empties there for some fresh filled ones on the cheap...!

Mazatlan ain't Baja, but when you get out of the big city, it ain't bad...!

well.....to tell you the truth

capt. mike - 10-18-2013 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Geee whiz...a voice from the past.

How are you, Mike?

We have had some struggles and wife's health many problems.....so i don't on boards much. Haven't flown to baja since 2010 thx to all the new stupid rules and fees....had 30 plus years of it - guess that's enough. Take care!