BajaNomad

Mexican Senate approves 16% border VAT tax

danaeb - 10-30-2013 at 05:40 PM

An increase from the current 11%. To take effect Jan 1st

http://www.lacronica.com/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Nacional/30102...

[Edited on 10-31-2013 by danaeb]

dasubergeek - 10-30-2013 at 07:42 PM

So that means the signs ("UN ROTUNDO NO AL AUMENTO DEL IVA!") will be down by April, right?

I get why they did it, but that's a big jump all at once for the people living there.

Hook - 10-30-2013 at 08:21 PM

Apparently, the details will need to be worked out as members of opposition parties walked out of the Senate after the vote.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/30/us-mexico-reforms-...

Up next, vehicle importation permits for Baja below San Quintin?????

Cisco - 10-30-2013 at 10:30 PM

This really will have an effect on border relations.

"TIJUANA — After months of public outcry and political debate, Mexico’s Senate on Wednesday gave final approval to a measure that will raise the sales tax in Baja California and other border regions by 5 percentage points.

The legislation will create a uniform sales tax across Mexico starting Jan. 1---and erase lower rates for border areas. It has inspired a state secession movement and stirred bitter criticism of federal legislators from Baja California who supported the change. The state’s business leaders are weighing legal action to block the tax hike, which they said will lead to price increases and encourage consumers to shop across the border in the United States.

“They’re causing harm to some 9 million Mexicans who live on the border,” Gov. José Guadalupe Osuna Millán said Wednesday after the measure’s passage. Business owners across the border in California “are already rubbing their hands” in anticipation of more revenues brought by Baja California customers, Osuna Millán said.

Wednesday’s Senate vote raises the sales-tax rate from 11 percent to 16 percent. The legislation is part of a broad tax-reform package spearheaded by President Enrique Peña Nieto, who wants to boost the government’s revenues and reduce economic inequality through actions such as the creation of an unemployment fund and greater financial support for education and infrastructure projects.

Backers of the changes said they will bring Mexico’s tax-collection structure more in line with those of other mid-tier countries and stop Mexico’s practice of relying on oil revenues to compensate for its low tax collection, which is about 10 percent of the country’s annual output.

The newly approved legislation includes a set of changes affecting maquiladora factories, such as elimination of the sales-tax exemption for temporary imports but also provisions that allow them to receive a 100 percent tax credit or post bond until the finished products are exported.

Those measures also would end the preferential corporate income-tax rate for maquiladoras, raising it to the general 30 percent business standard. And it would bring a partial elimination of deductions for certain fringe benefits paid to factory workers.

The changes “are pretty complex,” said José Larroque, principal partner with the Baker & McKenzie law firm in Tijuana. “You need to sit down and understand it, but there are going to be more taxes to be paid.”

Baja California’s top business groups — Coparmex, Canaco and Consejo Coordinador Empresarial — have staunchly opposed the sales-tax increase from the beginning. But as the issue came to a head in recent weeks, the outcry has broadened.

Journalists cornered legislators who supported the tax changes, mostly members of Peña Nieto’s Institutional Revolutionary Party, the PRI, demanding a public accounting. A Facebook community that advocates secession, Republica de Baja California, has garnered 131,000 “likes” in recent weeks. “Baja California for Baja Californians,” one supporter wrote Wednesday.

Members of the Peña Nieto administration have said that residents in Mexico’s border regions, where incomes are on average 27 percent higher than the national average, should not pay less sales tax than those living in poorer areas of the country

“It is a pity that the (central government) doesn’t understand us,” said Osuna Millán, who will end his six-year term Friday. The border “is a different region, that every day must compete with a powerful country like the United States.”

A study by Colegio de la Frontera Norte, a federally funded think tank based in Tijuana that studies issues on Mexico’s northern border, concludes that the sales-tax hike will harm Baja California’s economy. The revamp will lead to price increases “and reduce the quantities that residents of Baja California consume,” the report said.

Some residents may turn to the state’s informal retail sector, while others will cross into the United States to make purchases, said Alejandro Brugués, an economist and one of the study’s authors. “One possibility is that the shrinking of the economy could mean that instead of increasing tax collection, it could be decreased.”

On Wednesday, Sen. Ernesto Ruffo of Baja California said during a speech on the Senate floor: “In the medium term, we’ll lose many jobs, and perhaps long term, all of them. On the border, a 16 percent tax takes us out of the competition.”

But Ruffo’s party, the pro-business PAN, was unable to win enough votes in the Senate or Mexico’s Chamber of Deputies. Support for the Senate bill came from members of the PRI, who joined forces with the Green Party of Mexico and some members of the Party of the Democratic Revolution.

Kenn Morris of San Diego, president of the market-research firm Crossborder Group Inc., said the tax changes could both benefit and hurt business interests in Southern California.

“One the one hand, Baja California’s consumers will have even more incentive to go shopping and spend some of their discretionary money on goods in southern California stores,” he said. “One the other hand, U.S. companies that supply the maquiladora industry may see some of their sales decrease once Mexico’s maquiladoras are going to be taxed 16 percent upfront on those industrial inputs.”"

Hook - 10-31-2013 at 04:04 AM

I dont believe a 5% increase is going to force more people to shop in the US. Prices on goods imported into Mexico generally are 30-40% higher than what I could get them for in the US. All that extra cant be transportation costs in a country with cheaper diesel and low wages.

Maybe big businesses will have to reduce their ridiculous profit margins to keep customers down here. You know, actually COMPETE for business.

chuckie - 10-31-2013 at 06:47 AM

Will the increase apply to food as well?

David K - 10-31-2013 at 06:57 AM

Fools in government... Raising taxes LOWERS income to the treasury... Lower taxes increases economic growth and employment. More people paying a little tax far out-produces a few people paying a higher tax!

cbuzzetti - 10-31-2013 at 07:43 AM

Do Mexicans pay income tax? I dont know how the system works here so if anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

Thanks

shari - 10-31-2013 at 08:20 AM

we pay 11% and some other tax on top of that for our room rentals too...people are VERY worried about this tax as it means we all have to raise our prices....taxes go up but wages stay the same or in the case of the lobster fishermen here in Asuncion, the situation is dire as the price for lobster is HALF of what it was last year which means so is their income! dang. I need to start charging tax on top of the room rental starting in January

monoloco - 10-31-2013 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbuzzetti
Do Mexicans pay income tax? I dont know how the system works here so if anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

Thanks
There is an income tax but close to 100% cheat on it, the most common way is declaring a low official salary and paying the rest in cash, off the books, and businesses under report cash receipts. Mexico is a largely cash economy, there is no efficient way for Hacienda to enforce the income tax, this is why they want to increase the scope of IVA. It's unfortunate because IVA is hardest on the poor and middle class.

Hook - 10-31-2013 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Will the increase apply to food as well?

I think that is still to be negotiated. Believe it's all tied up with that junk food tax they are considering. Also believe that some food staples will be exempt.

Hook - 10-31-2013 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
we pay 11% and some other tax on top of that for our room rentals too...people are VERY worried about this tax as it means we all have to raise our prices....taxes go up but wages stay the same or in the case of the lobster fishermen here in Asuncion, the situation is dire as the price for lobster is HALF of what it was last year which means so is their income! dang. I need to start charging tax on top of the room rental starting in January

I have never stayed at your place but if we assume that your rooms cost 80.00/night, including the 11% tax, a 5 per cent increase will be about 4.00/night.

Will people stop coming because of an increase of 4.00/night? Probably not. Any of your competitors will also have to pay it.

I think the Mexican government is wise in weaning their Federal budget off of the variances of the oil market. There is a world oil glut developing. Oil could be 80.00/barrel in the near future. And until they allow some private investment into Pemex, their production will probably continue to go down.

As dysfunctional as Hacienda is at collecting income taxes, this is probably their best method.

monoloco - 10-31-2013 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
There is an income tax but close to 100% cheat on it, the most common way is declaring a low official salary and paying the rest in cash, off the books...

Meh. And how would that benefit the employer (the guy who's paying the salary?
Because, I imagine, he's grossly under reporting his income and hiding it off the books also, (Mexicans in general don't trust the banks or the government) plus the workers would demand more pay if more was withheld due to higher reporting. I have been on many construction sites here on payday, when everyone gets a check for close to the minimum wage, out of which seguros and other deductions are withheld, then they also receive an envelope containing effectivo which represents the majority of their wages.

MitchMan - 10-31-2013 at 10:09 AM

A few months ago, the “new” sales tax was not only said to increase the rate in Baja from 11% to 16% but also to begin applying to both food and medicines for the first time. Don’t know if what just passed will actually apply to food and medicines…hope not.

Sales tax is a “regressive” tax that disproportionately extracts money from the lower income people than from upper income people because lower income people spend all their money and buy items subject to sales tax proportionately more than do upper income people that do not have to spend all their money. Every economist knows this.

Also, the effect of a sales tax increase and the effect of a new sales tax application will reduce the amount of taxable items sold and will reduce the profit of the vendor on those items sold. Therefore, the economic effect is to reduce production and profitability, both of which result in detriments to the economy.

While the tax may increase government revenues, it is detrimental to the economy and to the people and is therefore a stupid, short sighted, and inefficient way to solve their government revenue issue.

There are some benefits to being a cash economy. But the way to stimulate the economy and get more government revenues is to do something about their demand type bank account policies and get rid of their dumb factura system. If they did, more people (including individual independent contractors) would use checking and saving accounts and that alone would stimulate commerce and monetary circulation. Also, it would go a long way to bring visibility to the "under the table" economy for income taxing purposes.

DENNIS - 10-31-2013 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Maybe big businesses will have to reduce their ridiculous profit margins to keep customers down here. You know, actually COMPETE for business.

Amen.

Also, it's a good thing the federal government owns the gas/fuel market. They shouldn't tax themselves since all they need to do is raise prices per liter.
Well see how this goes........if they decide to pile on 5% to the existing price. It would be a major rip-off.

monoloco - 10-31-2013 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
I have been on many construction sites here on payday, when everyone gets a check for close to the minimum wage, out of which seguros and other deductions are withheld, then they also receive an envelope containing effectivo which represents the majority of their wages.
Fascinating. My main experience has been as a government employee, where the amount of oversight would make that strategy impractical; I suspect employees of most big companies actually DO end up paying their "fair" share of income taxes...
You are probably correct about government and corporate employees but the majority of people in Mexico don't work for big companies, and I'm sure that government employees don't report their income from graft.

[Edited on 10-31-2013 by monoloco]

aguachico - 10-31-2013 at 02:10 PM

Any decrease of income or increase in cost of goods is bad news for the people I know that work for a living in TJ. I know people that were elated when a small position change in the fabrica equated to a 100 peso a week increase in salary.

To turn around and take that from them is just plain wrong.

The political machine in Mexico is so sad, it's depressing.

shari - 10-31-2013 at 02:41 PM

You would be surprised by the little things that guests dont want to pay for. We had a guy a few days ago that when I told him he needed the $5 biosphere reserve bracelet, he said he would rather leave right now than pay that....sheesh.
We have lost clients over $5 before.

Also where people used to be paid in cash, the bank card system has replaced that....mostly so that the payroll trucks arent going to be assaulted.

The fishermen at the coop already pay a ridiculous 35% in income tax.

this tax will be really devastating for the middle class and small business operators.

Bajaboy - 10-31-2013 at 02:47 PM

I read some where that Mexico has one of the lowest tax collection rates in the world. With that said, it sounds like it's time to pay the piper. While probably not fair to many, the bills need to paid by someone.

dasubergeek - 10-31-2013 at 02:56 PM

Part of the issue is that maquiladora bit that they glossed over in the article. The reason the maquilas are there, besides easy transportation to the U.S., is because taxes are significantly cheaper along the border. The IVA is a value-added tax, so in addition to the increase in corporate tax, they will have to pass along that additional 5% in IVA—and while they may not have to pay it themselves thanks to the bonding exception, that money has to get paid somewhere, which just shifts it down the line to the mayoreo/menudeo people.

monoloco - 10-31-2013 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
You would be surprised by the little things that guests dont want to pay for. We had a guy a few days ago that when I told him he needed the $5 biosphere reserve bracelet, he said he would rather leave right now than pay that....sheesh.

Also where people used to be paid in cash, the bank card system has replaced that....mostly so that the payroll trucks arent going to be assaulted.

this tax will be really devastating for the middle class and small business operators.
Shari, Do they actually PAY 35% or is that before all the things they can write off or collect under the table?

Oh yeah

DaliDali - 10-31-2013 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I read some where that Mexico has one of the lowest tax collection rates in the world. With that said, it sounds like it's time to pay the piper. While probably not fair to many, the bills need to paid by someone.

Raise taxes because the government can't get it's tax collection machine in good working order.....make perfect sense to me. :?:

DENNIS - 10-31-2013 at 03:36 PM

Quote:

You didn't lose anybody or anything. Just say thank you.... bye bye....don't come back.

DENNIS - 10-31-2013 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
[Shari, Do they actually PAY 35% or is that before all the things they can write off or collect under the table?

A point well made. Mexico still has the "Six Tequila Lunch" right-off.....just like Regan stopped in the states.

Two best jobs in Mexico:

1- Commissioned officer in the military

2- Creative Contador/Accountant.

MitchMan - 10-31-2013 at 05:03 PM

Third best job in Mexico: Notario.
Fourth best job in Mexico: Bartender at a resort

Much of the following is incorrect.

Quote:
David K

[Edited on 11-1-2013 by MitchMan]

[Edited on 11-11-2013 by BajaNomad]

DENNIS - 10-31-2013 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Third best job in Mexico: Notario.

I believe they're appointed by the power........much in line with power staying in power by controlling power.

rts551 - 10-31-2013 at 06:00 PM

Bottom line for Baja. Residents and tourists alike are demanding more services. How do you propose to pay for these services. Asuncion wants a repaved road...maybe they need an assessment district? Another words they can pay for their own road. would that be cheaper?

Myself, I will keep paying without a b-tch and hope the services keep improving.

rts551 - 10-31-2013 at 06:08 PM

Shari, Pls clarify. I just talked to a coop member in Abreojos. They seem to feel that each individual member is NOT taxed at 35%. There is a corporate tax of 35% tat the coop pays on profits.

Quote:

DENNIS - 10-31-2013 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Bottom line for Baja. Residents and tourists alike are demanding more services. How do you propose to pay for these services. Asuncion wants a repaved road...maybe they need an assessment district? Another words they can pay for their own road. would that be cheaper?

Myself, I will keep paying without a b-tch and hope the services keep improving.

Those who benefit from improvements should foot the bill. That includes income tax.
The market will establish need and cost. Let it ride.
If a new road doesn't show returns on investment, in the way of increased revenue, then it was poorly planned and thought out....most likely from a personal gain standpoint.

Welcome to the real world.

rts551 - 10-31-2013 at 06:36 PM

That being said, should all roads be toll roads then? Who should pay for the biosphere and its protection. Protecting the fishery, etc?

Pay as you go/use has some appeal to some but is very regressive and very seldom moves things forward at a fast pace (lack of investment in public infrastructure).

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Those who benefit from improvements should foot the bill. That includes income tax.
The market will establish need and cost. Let it ride.
If a new road doesn't show returns on investment, in the way of increased revenue, then it was poorly planned and thought out....most likely from a personal gain standpoint.

Welcome to the real world.

Tijuana residents protest sales tax hike

BajaNews - 11-10-2013 at 11:33 PM

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/nov/10/tax-sales-mexico-...

By Sandra Dibble
NOV. 10, 2013

TIJUANA — A protest against Mexico’s newly approved sales tax hike for border areas brought several dozen drivers to steer through Tijuana’s streets on Sunday afternoon. The “Caravan of Repudiation” ended an hour after it started, with collective honking outside the municipal office of Mexico’s ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party, the PRI.

The demonstration was the latest show of discontent in Baja California following legislative approval last month of a 5 percent sales tax increase for border areas — from 11 percent to 16 percent. Set to go into effect on Jan. 1, the measure ends the lower rate for areas of the country considered border regions, and creates a uniform sales tax for all of Mexico.

“We’re a state that they don’t take into account,” said Blanca Gutierrez, a 36-year-old housewife driving with her son, niece and two siblings. “We feel overlooked,” said Diana Rodriguez, a 44-year-old engineer in a maquiladora plant, who participated with her husband and their 10-year-old daughter.

The increase is part of a sweeping fiscal reform package championed by Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, and passed in Mexico’s Congress with support of the PRI and its allies. The change would end more than three decades of differential treatment for border zones, which include the entire states of Baja California and Baja California Sur, a 12.5-mile zone that runs along Mexico’s northern border, and parts of the states of Chiapas and Quintana Roo on the southern border.

The PRI’s leader in Tijuana, Jose Luis Hernandez Silerio, said the reform would offer new unemployment benefits and pensions for the elderly. He mentioned the possibility of greater federal funding for the border. “We all want a border that’s more competitive, border crossings that are more agile,” he said.

But political and business leaders in Baja California argue the state needs the special tax treatment because of its geographic location next to California. They warn that the tax hike will push up prices in the state and drive growing numbers of consumers to cross the border to shop in California, where the base sales tax is 7.5 percent. On Monday, top private sector leaders in Baja California who are calling for collective legal action against the tax increase are expected to meet with attorneys and tax experts to determine the precise legal strategy.

Many of the participants in Sunday’s protest said they learned of it through social media. The event was promoted through a Facebook page, “Republica de Baja California,” which advocates secession from Mexico and has gathered more than 136,000 followers since Oct. 14.

The authors of the page have not made their identity public, saying through a statement that they are “a horizontal collective of dissatisfied citizens” who have no links to any political party, business or labor groups.

No one publicly took charge of Sunday’s protest, and one man who appeared to be an organizer, passing around white shoe polish and writing messages on car windows, declined to be interviewed.

For all their opposition to the measure, no political or business leaders showed up. The demonstrators seemed to be largely working members of Baja California’s middle class, who said they would be affected by the tax hike.

Secession from Mexico “seems to be a bit of an extreme position,” said Juan Madrigal, a 44-year-old graphic designer who participated in the protest. But he echoed the feelings of participants: “I am unhappy with the lack of representation that we have in the region.”

La Paz

captkw - 11-11-2013 at 09:25 AM

A few years back La Paz was a duty free port and you could some great deals on swiss army knifes,,car stereos,,home stuff..and a mess of stuff that wasn't avable any where else. Cheap!!...when that changed ,,,so did La Paz..........

monoloco - 11-11-2013 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
A few years back La Paz was a duty free port and you could some great deals on swiss army knifes,,car stereos,,home stuff..and a mess of stuff that wasn't avable any where else. Cheap!!...when that changed ,,,so did La Paz..........
Yeah, like the genuine Rolex I once bought there for 200 pesos that I had to keep changing the battery in.:lol:

bajagrouper - 11-11-2013 at 10:45 AM

28 states in Mexico have been paying 16% for years, it's about time Baja California, Baja California Sur and Quintana Roo start paying like everyone else...

Mainland Mexico pays 12.2 Pesos per litro of magna while the 3 frontera states probably pay about 11.71 per litro of magna , do you think 4 US cents a gallon will stop the economy in Baja and QR?

Does anyone remember when the Peso devaluated, where an average Mexican lost 1/2 there savings overnight, they survived........and will continue to survive after this small tax increase ........

[Edited on 11-11-2013 by bajagrouper]

DENNIS - 11-11-2013 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper

Does anyone remember when the Peso devaluated, where an average Mexican lost 1/2 there savings overnight, they survived........and will continue to survive after this small tax increase ........

They only lost Peso value when compared to the dollar. It hurt the American economy more than Mexico because imports were out of reach.......which helped the economy in Mexico because consumers were forced to stay within the domestic market.

Every cloud of sheeit has a silver lining.

Don't forget that electric, telephone and propane prices are affected too

durrelllrobert - 11-11-2013 at 11:06 AM

5% increase on my average CFE bill of 2,500 pesos = 125 pesos

durrelllrobert - 11-11-2013 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper

the 3 frontera states probably pay about 11.71 per litro of magna , do you think 4 US cents a gallon will stop the economy in Baja and QR?

actually the Nov. price is 11.78/litro (going up in Dec) and 11.78 x .05 x 3.78 litro/gal = 2.23 pesos that at 12.5 p/$ = 18 cent increase

[Edited on 11-11-2013 by durrelllrobert]

bajagrouper - 11-11-2013 at 11:17 AM

Still less than 42 centavos a gallon difference, and gas goes up every month! 42 centavos is about 3 US pennies a gallon difference...

So you can't afford $10 a electric bill or $5 a month... $2500 Peso bill, looks like you should cut down on your usage...

Also the exchange rate where I am is 13.23 x$1

Hook - 11-11-2013 at 11:36 AM

It's almost ridiculous that Baja Sur was considered a "border state" while Sonora, Chihuahua are not. THAT was unfair, if you want to talk about fairness.

DENNIS - 11-11-2013 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
It's almost ridiculous that Baja Sur was considered a "border state" while Sonora, Chihuahua are not. THAT was unfair, if you want to talk about fairness.

Cabo San Ludicrous is bordered on insanity.

bill per month? or year/

akshadow - 11-11-2013 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

Seems like a high electric bill?

durrelllrobert - 11-11-2013 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

Seems like a high electric bill?

Yep, once you go over 500KWh it's all billed at 3.599 peso/kWh so my Oct bill was for 658kWh = 2,342 peso + 156.55 min fee + 275 IVA + 28.50 IAP (whatever that is) = 2,801.50 :fire:

Hook - 11-11-2013 at 12:11 PM

Someone likes their air conditioner a lot. LOL!

And we are past the period where CFE will subsidize the rates in areas deemed really hot. I'm sure Punta Banda wouldnt qualify for that.

IS it your A/C that's doing this? That type of bill is not uncommon in unsubsidized, hot areas. But Punta Banda????

Got a bunch of Gro-lux lights going or something, Bob? :bounce:

durrelllrobert - 11-11-2013 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Someone likes their air conditioner a lot. LOL!

And we are past the period where CFE will subsidize the rates in areas deemed really hot. I'm sure Punta Banda wouldnt qualify for that.

IS it your A/C that's doing this? That type of bill is not uncommon in unsubsidized, hot areas. But Punta Banda????

Got a bunch of Gro-lux lights going or something, Bob? :bounce:

Nope. Even when I was gone to Canada for 2 months and everything except 1 high efficiency refrigerator was shut off I used 255kWh and the bill was over 1000 pesos. Oh, when my gardener came to water for about 2 hour every other week (4 times) the Pilla pump with it's 1/2 horse motor was on but that only = 3 kWh total.

[Edited on 11-11-2013 by durrelllrobert]

high KWH

captkw - 11-11-2013 at 12:53 PM

You might want to get a electrician out there and check your place...their very hard to find a good one so you might look online for a

gnukid - 11-11-2013 at 12:55 PM

Quote:

Please be aware, the UNESCO Biosphere program is voluntary. There is no requirement for people to pay for permission to enter a designated area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_and_the_Biosphere_Programme

"Biosphere reserves recognize that quality economies require quality environments and that conservation is important for both. The biosphere reserve program is entirely voluntary."

[Edited on 11-11-2013 by gnukid]

DENNIS - 11-11-2013 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
You might want to get a electrician out there and check your place...their very hard to find a good one so you might look online for a

That won't work. He lives in Messeeko.

I would take everythin out of that econo-reefer, read the meter, and leave it unplugged for 48 hours, then read the meter again.
Already knowing what your daily usage is......it's on the bill........you'll know for a fact just how econo that box is and
with a bit of effort and inconvenience where the problem is.

I live two doors down from Bob and my last CFE bill was 350 Ps.

aguachico - 11-12-2013 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Quote:

Please be aware, the UNESCO Biosphere program is voluntary. There is no requirement for people to pay for permission to enter a designated area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_and_the_Biosphere_Programme

"Biosphere reserves recognize that quality economies require quality environments and that conservation is important for both. The biosphere reserve program is entirely voluntary."

[Edited on 11-11-2013 by gnukid]

Wow;

this is very interesting gnukid, but it reads as though this is in Canada only.

Quote:
Biosphere reserves recognize that quality economies require quality environments and that conservation is important for both. The biosphere reserve program is entirely voluntary. Authority over land and water use does not change when a biosphere reserve is designated in Canada. Government jurisdictions and private ownership rights remain as they were before designation. The World Biosphere Reserve Network currently consists of 580 biosphere reserves in 114 countries. Canada currently has a network of 16 biosphere reserves.

Hook - 11-12-2013 at 07:24 AM

With that kind of draw, BOB, I would suspect an illegal tap into your electricity somewhere. Not uncommon at all in Mexico, especially in densely grouped housing. Someone pays an electrician or a CFE employee to move their tap downstream of YOUR meter.

Happens with water, too.

Propane is a little more challenging for them..............:smug:

monoloco - 11-12-2013 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
With that kind of draw, BOB, I would suspect an illegal tap into your electricity somewhere. Not uncommon at all in Mexico, especially in densely grouped housing. Someone pays an electrician or a CFE employee to move their tap downstream of YOUR meter.

Happens with water, too.

Propane is a little more challenging for them..............:smug:
My friend had his tapped by his next door neighbor in downtown Todos Santos. Ran a cable right across his roof and into his meter box, then got all indignant when he was caught.