BajaNomad

First Re-breather Dive in Asuncion

Bajagypsy - 11-10-2013 at 10:17 AM

Mr. Gypsy was very excited to do the first re-breather dive in Asuncion this last trip.

Here he is getting into his dry suit.

Here he is doing all the checks that need to be done prior to diving

All Geared up and ready to go!

Heading to the water

Just before he went under.

Mr. Gypsy had a wonderful time, and took tons of pictures and video, but coming to shore lost his GoPro camera. It is sailing around the Pacific Ocean having a wonderful trip!

monoloco - 11-10-2013 at 10:26 AM

What are the advantages of this type of set-up over a compressed air rig? Does the system use compressed gases at all? It looks expensive. I'm really interested in how it works.

Bajagypsy - 11-10-2013 at 10:50 AM

Not to get real technical... here is the simple explanation of a rebreather:
A rebreather uses compressed gas just like open circuit scuba, but instead of expelling the exhaled breath into the water (as bubbles) it keeps this breath in the breathing loop (the hoses and backpack you see in the pictures). The on board electronics then analyse the remaining mixture and top up the oxygen content back to an acceptable level. There is also the carbon dioxide your body expels to deal with. That is removed from the breathing loop by an absorbent you put in before a dive.
The advantage is that two tiny little 2L cylinders will easily last you 3 hrs straight, its completely silent and there are no bubbles to scare the fish away.
And yup its a tad pricey.

[Edited on 11-10-2013 by Bajagypsy]

BajaBlanca - 11-10-2013 at 11:05 AM

wow, that machine sounds fantastic. I can't believe he lost the first ever rebreather dive camera pics ..... bummer.

Bajagypsy - 11-10-2013 at 11:16 AM

I know! We will just have to go back sooner rather than later!

Udo - 11-10-2013 at 11:55 AM

The equipment IS very expensive, and you require another dive certification...also very expensive.

The big advantage is that one does not expel any used air and the sea life surrounding you is not spooked by the dispelled air bubbles. One literally swims among the sea life.

Cisco - 11-10-2013 at 12:05 PM

We used rebreather's in SEA riverine system in the very early 1960's.

They were excellent for that work as they did not emit a bubble trail and these were shallow water devices, could not go beyond one atmosphere in depth so nicely suited for the rivers.

Those were chest mounted units.

I was talking to Juan in BA once about diving as he does a lot of hookah work. He had not heard of them and looked at me and said "chemicals?", and just shook his head.

Bajagypsy - 11-11-2013 at 08:01 AM

If you look back at how far scuba has come over the years it is amazing.

rdrrm8e - 11-11-2013 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
Mr. Gypsy was very excited to do the first re-breather dive in Asuncion this last trip.

Here he is getting into his dry suit.

Here he is doing all the checks that need to be done prior to diving

All Geared up and ready to go!

Heading to the water

Just before he went under.

Mr. Gypsy had a wonderful time, and took tons of pictures and video, but coming to shore lost his GoPro camera. It is sailing around the Pacific Ocean having a wonderful trip!

The other problem is that one may be tempted to spend 3 hours underwater and may surface far away from home.......:bounce::wow:;D

Bajagypsy - 11-11-2013 at 10:26 AM

That could be a problem!