BajaNomad

Camp Stove

Mexitron - 11-17-2013 at 11:40 PM

Pretty interesting camp stove made from an aluminum can and uses rubbing alcohol for fuel:

http://www.realfarmacy.com/how-to-turn-a-beer-can-into-campi...

Kgryfon - 11-18-2013 at 12:26 AM

Cool! Wonder how it would work if you only had drinking alcohol to use rather than medical alcohol.

stoves that work !!

captkw - 11-18-2013 at 06:54 AM

Now days it seems the wanna bee's that buy for outdoor/camping store's don't have a clue....All propane!!.....1st off should be a COLEMAN 533 Dual Fuel.....Hot and a worker.....2nd...A MSR Wisper light that runs kerosene to white gas....and will simmer....3rd...a EMBERLITE,,,wood burning camp stove that I got a few months ago with great reviews...looks like it should work Great!!!!!!! But,,Alas,,,I have not Fired it up yet...but it sets up in second and I have stood on it with one (1) foot with all my weight 155lbs and no problem....and If your looking for a hot shower....forget the solar bags....what a joke !! wait all day and then its too cold or too hot and no pressure...get a "ZODI" single burner and when the battery pump fails after a year,,,go & get a 12 volt boat bilge pump to run off your car/truck/boat and always have a portable HOT shower on demand.......Yes,,,, I too started off with a solar hot water bag/shower...But..I'm now outa the cave & into the 21st century....."Get A Grip!!!""

jimgrms - 11-18-2013 at 07:41 AM

Backin the day iwould use a empty c rat cae put some sand and gas in it to heat my beans and weeneys in Viet Nam

Jack Swords - 11-18-2013 at 07:48 AM

The beer can stove originated with the ultra-lite hikers. Many sites on the internet have info and some vendors sell them. I have made several, they are very light. Some problems are the affect of wind, and the fact that you cannot see the flame easily in the day. They do work well with their limitations. Have used Whisperlites for years, gasoline leaks in pack, heavy if you are ultralite, dirty from carbon. The little wood-burning stoves with a AA battery fan are great, but are illegal in the High Sierra (limited wood material). Propane/isobutane work, but are a pain when cold due to low pressure unless you sleep with the cannister. Then there are solid fuels like Esbit, has its own problems. Some ultra-lite hikers simply don't cook, reducing pack weight another pound or so.

ccorbridge - 11-18-2013 at 07:54 AM

here's a review I did on some ultralight wood burning stoves back in my backpacking days.
http://ccorbridge.wordpress.com/2009/08/23/wood-burning-stov...

click on the stove names for links to more info

Beer cans

captkw - 11-18-2013 at 08:01 AM

I use them to boil crawdads and fresh water eel !!!

Barry A. - 11-18-2013 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Now days it seems the wanna bee's that buy for outdoor/camping store's don't have a clue....All propane!!.....1st off should be a COLEMAN 533 Dual Fuel.....Hot and a worker.....2nd...A MSR Wisper light that runs kerosene to white gas....and will simmer....3rd...a EMBERLITE,,,wood burning camp stove that I got a few months ago with great reviews...looks like it should work Great!!!!!!! But,,Alas,,,I have not Fired it up yet...but it sets up in second and I have stood on it with one (1) foot with all my weight 155lbs and no problem....and If your looking for a hot shower....forget the solar bags....what a joke !! wait all day and then its too cold or too hot and no pressure...get a "ZODI" single burner and when the battery pump fails after a year,,,go & get a 12 volt boat bilge pump to run off your car/truck/boat and always have a portable HOT shower on demand.......Yes,,,, I too started off with a solar hot water bag/shower...But..I'm now outa the cave & into the 21st century....."Get A Grip!!!""

This is funny-----we are all so different. Unless backpacking, I use a 3-gal. propane bottle with a "tree" on top of it, and have my Primous propane 2-burner stove running off one side-port, my 1-mantle backpack lantern on the top of the "tree", and my heater on the other side-port of the "tree", all going simultaneously-----and love it.

My wife and I have used a 3-gallon "sun shower" for 30 years, finding that they work great and always provide us with what we want in the way of a shower, but yes, you have to plan ahead and time it right to get the right water temp... The 5-gallon sun showers are just too heavy for us to hang up, and use more water than we really need. We hang the sunshower off the side & top of our camper (8 feet above ground)-----works perfectly!!! (We normally camp in the boonies, not in RV parks, so privacy is not an issue).

Barry

CAMP STOVE

J.P. - 11-18-2013 at 09:22 AM

I have used a #3 can with a roll of Toilet Paper Soaked in Alcohol it puts off a lot of heat and burns slow.

Hola senior BARRY

captkw - 11-18-2013 at 11:48 AM

As I understand you have spent a bit of time out in the woods
!! ...but for me as a a guy that spends most of my life out there I can Say with Conviction that "coleman" lanterns SUCK !! 12Volt leds rock and solid fuel like gasaline/wood/ kerosene/diesel/carbon and a real hot shower first thing in the morn is the way to GO !!! anyone with a solar shower and thinks that's the only way to go has not been out there very much....and for the beer cans I been boiling crawdads in them since I was a kid....Wait a minute....I'm Still a kid...folks ask "where did you grow up?" Reply " I never Did""!!:bounce:

danaeb - 11-18-2013 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
anyone with a solar shower and thinks that's the only way to go has not been out there very much....

Au contraire, Capt. I HAVE been out there a lot and there's nothing better for me, after a day of hiking, than bathing au naturel with my solar shower. It's also great for dish washing!

:lol::lol::lol:

OK..

captkw - 11-18-2013 at 12:30 PM

AS a guy that USED to do solar showers>>> I have found much better ways...And To start a day with a hot shower IS........????

danaeb - 11-18-2013 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
AS a guy that USED to do solar showers>>> I have found much better ways...And To start a day with a hot shower IS........????

....a LOT more expensive than my solar shower in the afternoon. ZODI - $142 plus S/H, and the propane to heat it.

My solar shower - $22.00 plus sunlight.

As Barry says, it's all a matter of opinion. I prefer a smaller footprint when I camp.

Mexitron - 11-18-2013 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
The beer can stove originated with the ultra-lite hikers. Many sites on the internet have info and some vendors sell them. I have made several, they are very light. Some problems are the affect of wind, and the fact that you cannot see the flame easily in the day. They do work well with their limitations. Have used Whisperlites for years, gasoline leaks in pack, heavy if you are ultralite, dirty from carbon. The little wood-burning stoves with a AA battery fan are great, but are illegal in the High Sierra (limited wood material). Propane/isobutane work, but are a pain when cold due to low pressure unless you sleep with the cannister. Then there are solid fuels like Esbit, has its own problems. Some ultra-lite hikers simply don't cook, reducing pack weight another pound or so.

Now that's extreme backpacking---no hot coffee!

"WHAT NO COFFEE???"

captkw - 11-18-2013 at 05:13 PM

...LOL..Buddys son just should up with Toyota parts,,,,,forgot my Point>>>>:lol:..but,,,get a coleman 533 DUAL FUEL and be Happy !!

MMc - 11-18-2013 at 07:17 PM

Yes, These stoves have been around for years.5.5 mins to boil H2O is to long for me. Car camping and backpacking demand different stoves. With Backpacking Are you going to cook or heat H2O? Weekend or week or expedition?
For auto camp we carry the Solar Shower and a Hudson can. We preheat the H2O in the Solar Shower load the Hudson on the modified Coleman V-5 and heat the rest of the way. DO NOT OVER HEAT! Put the pump on and hot showers for all. Place a couple of towels around the Hudson before your session and you'll have a hot/warm water bath when you get out. I converted to Propane on all my auto camping and have not looked back. LED's are also a god send.

Captkw, you do not have the only monopoly on time outdoors. There are others on this board that get out also. The reason you may like or dislike something is the same reason others do not.

mmc

captkw - 11-18-2013 at 07:39 PM

hOLA,,great RESPONE.....OOOPS....damn caps...when you spend a life as a Traveler......back to the show....(small dog issue) umm,,lets see...How many folks from the US

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by captkw]

MMc - 11-18-2013 at 08:04 PM

Traveler.Yes, some of us know the difference. Adventure can be a pursuit and calling.

Cisco - 11-18-2013 at 08:14 PM

StoveTek rocket and Solar stoves work for me but that's certainly not backpacking.

Solar shower made from pesticide sprayer painted black with shower nozzle on it has become my preference over the solar showers I used before.

Again, not real portable. Need a vehicle.

danaeb - 11-18-2013 at 08:47 PM

Oh, does this bring back memories. My first camping solar shower was a five gallon sparkletts water bottle propped in the crotch of a tree, fitted with one of those old red rubber shower sprayers. The "shower stall" was a private enclosure: heavy duty black plastic wrapped around pine saplings, with a wooden pallet for the shower floor.

And I still love rough camping after all these years. My coleman stove and lanterns are over 30 years old, and I also still enjoy replacing the silk mantles.

To each his own....

Hook - 11-18-2013 at 09:02 PM

I refuse to believe that that beer can stove can heat a liter of water in 5.5 minutes. The Whisperlites are the kings for that and they are slightly less than that, as I recall.

But, my God, they are expensive now. They were 1/2 what they were in the 90s. Probably made in China now, so MSR is making a killing!!

Cisco - 11-18-2013 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Oh, does this bring back memories. My first camping solar shower was a five gallon sparkletts water bottle propped in the crotch of a tree, fitted with one of those old red rubber shower sprayers. The "shower stall" was a private enclosure: heavy duty black plastic wrapped around pine saplings, with a wooden pallet for the shower floor.

To each his own....

Ooh! You be stylin with that outfit.

I just kind of hide nekkid behind the van with a big beach towel within reach.

Only got busted once and we became good friends after that so I guess it's a way to meet people also. (The Slabs)

Cisco - 11-18-2013 at 09:17 PM

Go here:

http://www.instructables.com/

and plug in camp stove.

You'll probably get a gazillion hits on how to make your own.

Skipjack Joe - 11-19-2013 at 12:04 AM

Those solar bag showers seem to work better on the cortez side than the pacific. It's not that the water doesn't reach a warm temperature. it does. It's the wind. Warm water quickly chills you when a wind blows over your wet skin. My last experience was behind the wall at the cemetery at San Roques. Could not find a spot that was completely protected and came back to the camper shivering but refreshed (it was worth it, marginally). That was in 2004, before asuncion became a gringo magnet.

HEAT !!

captkw - 11-19-2013 at 08:57 AM

The Coleman 533 Dual fuel single burner is a HOT stove..boil a pot of water under 3 minutes....but does not simmer very well....the MSR "wisper lite" is good for low heat (simmer) cooking.......I,myself , I f not fishing like to start the day off with a hot shower !! and a "ZODI" does that well !!!A "coleman" lantern is noisey,,,fragile,,,,you cant see anything but the white light itself and all bugs for next mile are soon at your talbe..and thoses pesky mantles that break,break,break and to add insult you have to refill and pump to mantain pressure.........for car/boat camping,,,, speaker wire with orange trailer clearance ligkts work well for me and if you have tried them....your missing the boat !!!~each to their own!!!!

Jack Swords - 11-19-2013 at 09:27 AM

Nice to see a good thread on camping...I stopped using Whisperlite when I went light-weight. Have worn out 3 of them over the years. Having gasoline fuel available when camping in the snow/wet/cold is invaluable to start a fire with wet wood and when you are seriously fatigued. The propane canisters or alcohol won't serve that purpose. I still have a whisperlite with the gasoline fuel for those late season (Oct/Nov) backpacking trips which also include all down bags, jackets, 4 season tent, etc.

I also don't understand how one can wake up in the morning without a hot cup of coffee.

Barry A. - 11-19-2013 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
The Coleman 533 Dual fuel single burner is a HOT stove..boil a pot of water under 3 minutes....but does not simmer very well....the MSR "wisper lite" is good for low heat (simmer) cooking.......I,myself , I f not fishing like to start the day off with a hot shower !! and a "ZODI" does that well !!!A "coleman" lantern is noisey,,,fragile,,,,you cant see anything but the white light itself and all bugs for next mile are soon at your talbe..and thoses pesky mantles that break,break,break and to add insult you have to refill and pump to mantain pressure.........for car/boat camping,,,, speaker wire with orange trailer clearance ligkts work well for me and if you have tried them....your missing the boat !!!~each to their own!!!!

My experience:

Stopped using clear glass on my propane lanterns years ago--------use only amber glass now------easy on the eyes, and attracts fewer flying critters. Amber glass globes are hard to find, but you can if you look on-line carefully, and take care not to break them. If you use the type propane lanterns that the mantles attach both top and bottom they seem to last forever. Never broken one yet. Propane lanterns make almost no noise at all, and actually I kinda like the faint noise lanterns make.

We are 'evening showerers' so that helps when using solar showers. And after dark you don't even need a shower-shelter as nobody is paying any attention to you anyway on the back side of the tent or camper.

We try and keep is as simple as possible.

Barry

Skipjack Joe - 11-19-2013 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Propane lanterns make almost no noise at all, and actually I kinda like the faint noise lanterns make.

I have to agree with this comment. The hissing lantern is an endearing part of the baja experience.

Mexitron - 11-19-2013 at 06:19 PM

As long as we're on the camping thread, anyone have a favorite choice of sleeping pad for backpacking? Therma-rest? REI brand? Those Neoair Xlites look like the bomb but kinda pricey....my aging body doesn't like the old insulite pads anymore.

MMc - 11-19-2013 at 07:43 PM

For auto camping Therma-rest 2" or 2.5 thick, not cheap but so comfy and durable. For backpacking I like the .5 or .75 thick, they don't show the one I use it is a 10 years old. If in the snow closed cell foam. I have used Therma-rest brand for many, many, years. I love them.

rufflife - 11-19-2013 at 08:02 PM

I switched from the Therma-rest brand over to the Exped Synmat UL 7 for backpacking. Definitely worth the price! Takes up very little room, weighs next to nothing, and is super comfortable! REI and other outdoor stores often have sales this time of year.

Camp gear..

captkw - 11-19-2013 at 08:14 PM

The Thermarest (green) 2.5 IN Camp Deluxe model is The best air mat that I have seen yet!!! and the ex would float around the lake all day ....Myself Don't care for REI..overpriced and no time with boots on the ground...Yupppies...So where would someone try the unit your talking about ????

rufflife - 11-19-2013 at 08:28 PM

I agree - REI is not what it once was. I ended up getting my Exped off Amazon, but that was after spending time talking to a friend about their Exped when we were on a backpacking trip. I never did look for it in stores, though I am guessing a lot of the bigger outdoor chains carry them. I have used my Exped in Baja, on snow camping trips, and on backpacking trips.

I do not mean to disparage Thermarest in any way. It just is no longer for me after finding the Exped. I am a side-sleeper and the thickness of the Exped definitely helps with the hips. Here is the link to the Exped site. I have the Medium sized Exped. http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/synmat-ul-... They do not lie when they say this pad packs down to the size of a water bottle!

[Edited on 11-20-2013 by rufflife]

Jack Swords - 11-19-2013 at 08:49 PM

The Neoair (sm) is 8 oz. Takes me 20 breaths to blow up (not self inflating). Quite strong material, so far 2 seasons, no leaks. It is not like a regular Thermarest pad, but you are supported on air that moves like an air mattress. You are insulated from the cold ground, but its big asset is weight and very small size when packed. Probably a compromise of some comfort for light pack weight. My regular short Thermarest is more comfortable, but relegated to car camping.

Mexitron - 11-19-2013 at 08:53 PM

yah-REI gotta wait for the sales for sure. The Exped looks nice.

rufflife - 11-19-2013 at 09:00 PM

The Exped is nice and sales can definitely be found this time of year - Especially since newer versions of all ultra light equipment seems to evolve each year. They have also created a mini hand pump for the Exped UL 7. This is nice because they you aren't blowing moist air into the pad (where bacteria can grow).

Not every sleep pad is for every person... This is just one I have personally come to love. Thicker pads are definitely more of a must-have for side sleepers. The Exped is also thick enough that you can adjust the inflation to make it soft, or more firm. Nothing wrecks a trip (camping...backpacking) faster than lack of sleep.

Rufflife

captkw - 11-20-2013 at 03:15 AM

Hola,, thanks for the link...I guess I have to do some phone calling around here and try and lie down on one....today I have a Chinese knock off and miss my thermarest "camp deluxe" but will check out these if they are in a store anywhere around here..also a side sleeper and like the "padding" till the dog pushes me off in the middle of the night !!:bounce:

rufflife - 11-20-2013 at 06:30 AM

Uh-oh... Dogs can be an issue with the Exped. Mine keep trying to take my Exped over and leave me on the ground! The problem is that there are two of them, and only one of me. That means I usually lose.:rolleyes:

MMc - 11-20-2013 at 08:28 AM

The head of the local REI and I have climbed to the tops of many mountains and rock together. Spent a week doing mixed route in Canada a long time ago. He does know his stuff, but some of him staff believe marketing BS. A16 is a very good store for quality products they have store in San Diego and online. The best place to buy boots it will take a least 1 hour to fit you. I tend to buy close out and last years models as I am a slave to fashion :light::light::light:

REI

captkw - 11-20-2013 at 11:22 AM

In june for my B-day I walked into the REI..with 4K cash in my pocket to by more camp gear...after about 30 mins. I walked out without buying anything...I am not impressed with their stove section at all!! only one lig fuel (MSR) and all the rest canister gas...not one unleaded stove and/or wood burning camp stove....any one here seen/use a Emberlite wood camp stove ???....K&T...:cool:

wilderone - 11-20-2013 at 04:50 PM

These alcohol stoves have been around for a few years. They're on eBay - people make them using various designs. I bought two - the first one cost $6.00. They definitely need a wind screen, and I fashioned one myself using part of a coffee can. They also need a pot support that will fit the pan (12 oz titanium cup is good) that you're using (wind screen around the whole thing).
They use the kind of alcohol used on boat stoves best. I've tried using rubbing alcohol - doesn't work. The alcohol costs about $5/ qt.
These are reliable stoves. You need to put in as much fuel as you will use up to heat up your meal or water or whatever, and then it dies off. A bit of a problem to "turn it off" and you can't adjust the heat. But you quickly get a feel for how much fuel you will need for 8 oz cup of coffee, etc.
A great option when pack weight is a consideration.

wilderone - 11-20-2013 at 04:58 PM

S-L-X Denatured Alcohol