BajaNomad

Remembering the great ones. Who do you miss?

Pages:  1  

mcfez - 11-20-2013 at 07:27 AM

BajaLou
Perhaps the most impressive Baja person that I have ever came across. Always first in line to help out. Remembering Lou because of the coming holidays.

[Edited on 11-20-2013 by mcfez]

shari - 11-20-2013 at 08:06 AM

Surdoc Stan and Bernie!

Skipjack Joe - 11-20-2013 at 08:56 AM

Mike Humfreville. He was old school baja and loved the land about as much as anyone. David has some good pictures of him.

Marla Daily - 11-20-2013 at 09:18 AM

Don and Ann O'Neil — Loreto icons. We miss them every day.
For Don's 80th birthday they drove their camper from Loreto to
Costa Rica and Panama. We met them there and spent a glorious week in the Corcovado jungle with them. We all rode horses on the beach for Don's bday. What a team they were! Among the most interesting people we've known.

Skeet/Loreto - 11-20-2013 at 09:27 AM

Tio "Don" ONeil

Tio was a Graduate of Southwestern Oklahoma College A builder of Large Tanks all over the World.
Met Tio on my first trip to Loreto in 1968, We were both Masons. Tio was Past Master of a Lodge in Long Beach.

In 1972 we went together and bought the Property North of Loreto which became my Rancho Sonrisa.

We were setting on the Porch one day when Ann came walking by and Tio said I would like to meet that Woman. The rest is History as they did many things together to help the Children of Loreto.
We Fished together and Drank Scotch{Scorsby} nearly everyday !
I visited him one Day before he passed away. A good Man and Great Friend.

Skeet

July 4, 2001, Las Flores, BCN

David K - 11-20-2013 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Mike Humfreville. He was old school baja and loved the land about as much as anyone. David has some good pictures of him.

April 30, 2011, Arroyo El Volcán

David K - 11-20-2013 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
BajaLou
Perhaps the most impressive Baja person that I have ever came across. Always first in line to help out. Remembering Lou because of the coming holidays.

Agree that Lou was a great Nomad... It was great to be with him on the Lost Mission Search... This was his last exploration in Baja, I believe...

'bajalou' and 'BAJACAT'

Jack Swords - 11-20-2013 at 12:37 PM

Jimmy Smith, the "Grinning Gargoyle". Glad I met him and spent some time with him.

sancho - 11-20-2013 at 12:43 PM

Talking Baja in general, not Nomad specific, a Baja
pioneer was Tony Reyes Sr., fishing boat Capt., a
San Felipe Legend, a true gentelman, used to see him at Georges in
SF. Good question Mc Fez

Bajatripper - 11-20-2013 at 01:18 PM

Personally speaking, I miss JR. While he could be real irritating to some on this board, like so many others (David K comes to mind), in person he was a real charmer. He really cared for the people of Baja.

DENNIS - 11-20-2013 at 01:47 PM

I hope I'm wrong with this, but I think Hose-A/Gene has joined the ranks of those to be missed.

I'll feel great if he responds to this to say I'm premature.

At any rate, I miss him here.

Mexitron - 11-20-2013 at 06:02 PM

Myron Smith---many trips to Baja with him, storyteller par excellente, opened up the hidden parts of the peninsula to me. Myron on right, his wife Nancy in the middle, and Frank Nordhoff (grandson of Walter Nordhoff/Antonio de Fierro Blanco). Frank and Nancy are still with us, Frank is 92 yrs old now. Pic is in Palomar Canyon.

David K - 11-20-2013 at 06:07 PM

Great photo and caption Mexitron!

David K - 11-20-2013 at 06:19 PM

If we go beyond Nomads and honor all the Baja greats, we will have a big thread indeed... Baja attracts some of the coolest people on earth!

bajacalifornian - 11-20-2013 at 06:33 PM

I'd like to have known some of these guys . . .

But then, there are some yet to be buried, like Bill and Bill and Plil and . . .

805gregg - 11-20-2013 at 07:12 PM

John Steinbeck and Doc Ricketts, and of course Fred Hoctor

Mexitron - 11-20-2013 at 08:00 PM

Oh, Steinbeck...a quote from the Sea of Cortez on the Indians at Cabo San Lucas back then:

"Their dark eyes never leave us. They ask no questions. They actually seem to be dreaming. Sometimes we asked of the Indians the local names of animals we had taken, and then they consulted together. They seemed to live on remembered things, to be related to the sea shore and the rocky hills and the loneliness that they are these things. To ask about the country is like asking about themselves. "How many toes have you? What, toes? Let's see----of course, ten. I have known them all my life, I never thought to count them. Of course it will rain tonight, I don't know why. Something in me tells me I will rain tonight. Of course, I am the whole thing, now that I think about it. I ought to know when I will rain."

Jack Smith

Gypsy Jan - 11-20-2013 at 08:03 PM

"...journalist, author, and newspaper columnist who wrote about Los Angeles during its period of greatest growth and increasing influence." (From Wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Smith_%28columnist%29

"God and Mr. Gomez" was the chronicle of his adventures in Baja and building a home here.

The stories in his LA Times column and the resulting book about Baja helped create and nurture my love affair with this strange and mystical place.

Old Baja Legends

baja2013 - 11-20-2013 at 08:09 PM

Bill Alvarado, and Billy Brush...among lots of other great Baja People

Bob H - 11-20-2013 at 08:21 PM

I'll never forget JR. Miss his posts and his love for everything BAJA! He left us WAY to young...

He was a great guy to meet in person!

null

Bob H - 11-20-2013 at 08:31 PM

I also cannot forget BART from Jungle Jims. He was a great guy and a friendly bartender. He is missed by many...

The Great One

EdZeranski - 11-20-2013 at 08:42 PM

Jackie Gleason??? :lol:

brewer - 11-20-2013 at 09:09 PM

J.L. Terry from San Francisquito. Retired San Diego firefighter.

Anyone ever meet him?

chumlee57 - 11-20-2013 at 09:20 PM

Great question, I would think everybody would have there own mentor. Mine would be Fred Hoctor, in the early 80's he described Baja about as good as it was in the western outdoor news, not the typical TJ to Ensenada stuff, but the entire penninsula...got me going, never looked back, baja, haha. Gene Kira for the Baja catch, butout of the gate it was Fred

Skipjack Joe - 11-20-2013 at 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

I hope I'm wrong with this, but I think Hose-A/Gene has joined the ranks of those to be missed.

He is still with us, Dennis.

DENNIS - 11-21-2013 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, Igor. Last I heard [I think you remember], he was on shaky ground. Tough ol' buzzard..eh.

woody with a view - 11-21-2013 at 08:18 AM

Catch One For Curt!

tripledigitken - 11-21-2013 at 08:32 AM

Good news to hear. I have missed Gene's posts.

Thanks Igor.

Quote:
Quote:

Desertbull - 11-21-2013 at 08:45 AM

Don Jimmy ... I'm still learning from him!

DENNIS - 11-21-2013 at 08:51 AM

OK....one I'm sad, but sure of.....
Chuy Arce.
Owner of Chuy's ...a bar in Ensenada. A gentleman of giant proportions.

Chuy was only one of the extensive Baja Arce clan well known throughout Baja California.
I'm sure some here remember the man.

Choral Pepper, Frank Fischer, Erle Stanley Gardner, in San Ignacio

David K - 11-21-2013 at 09:17 AM

3 Baja Greats in one photo!

Erle Stanley Gardner wrote great books of adventure in Baja in 1948 and the 1960's. Income from Perry Mason financed the helicopters and off road vehicles he used.

Choral Pepper's 1973 book on Baja's missions and mysteries really sparked my interest in history of Baja. Finding her lost mission of Santa Maria Magdalena became a quest of mine, solved in 2009... 7 years after her death.

[Edited on 4-7-2020 by David K]

majicparrot - 11-21-2013 at 10:37 AM

Smokey Dave Love you!

DENNIS - 11-21-2013 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by majicparrot
Smokey Dave Love you!

Not sure who Dave is, but he had good taste in beer. SALUD

sancho - 11-21-2013 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chumlee57
Gene Kira for the Baja catch, butout of the gate it was Fred

Fred was among the Legends, don't know of I missed
something, and you referred to mentors, past/current?
but isn't G Kira
around? I know the co author of the Baja Catch G Kelly
is not, hope I'm correct

vacaenbaja - 11-21-2013 at 11:29 AM

Tom Miller really enjoyed his books and reports. He wrote a book on
fishing baja. Not very detailed butr it clued you in on spots.
I also enjoyed his Eating your way through Baja" Someone should pick
up where Tom left off and update it in online form.
I have met J L Terry if he was the guy that lived more or less full time in
that perfect little foul weather hide out of a cove along side the navy drug patrol. He had his
own floating dock there, if thats the same guy.

David K - 11-21-2013 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
Tom Miller really enjoyed his books and reports. He wrote a book on
fishing baja. Not very detailed butr it clued you in on spots.
I also enjoyed his Eating your way through Baja" Someone should pick
up where Tom left off and update it in online form.

Tom is best known for his W.O.N. articles (he replaced Ray Cannon) and his 1974 and later edition guidebooks...

DanO - 11-21-2013 at 12:50 PM

I had the privilege of having breakfast once with Romulo Gomez of God and Mr. Gomez fame, who passed a couple of years later, in 1994. His son Pepe cooked chorizo and eggs and the old man harangued me for not speaking Spanish. Anyway, this is one of my favorite passages from that book:

One day when I was climbing over the rocks below our house, I noticed signs of erosion. It must be that the runoff from the rain was inching closer to the house. Every storm must carve its perch. Inexorably it advanced on our vain little pile of bricks. I wondered. Would the whole house fall?

That night at the store I asked Gomez about this unrelenting peril. "Someday, Romulo," I said, "our mansion is going to slide right into the Pacific Ocean."

"Oh, yes," he said. "Someday. But five hundred years from now, Jack, you will still be living in that house."

"Maybe so," I said. "But isn't there something we can do about it now?"

"Well," Gomez said, "would you like to try a little tequila?"

Fang - 11-21-2013 at 01:05 PM

I would have to agree with Gypsy Jan's selection of Jack Smith. I discovered his weekend series, (Baja Diaries), in the L.A. Times in the 1960's and never missed an installment. He did more to promote the area and it's people than anyone else I can think of.

He did it with compassion & insight, but more importantly, with humor. Most of the humor was self depreciating & it made all his recollections more believable.

Baja was not unknown to me. My dad had vacationed & fished in Ensenada & San Felipe for years & started carting my brother Jim & I with him starting in 1938-39.
He was in the US Army Air Force from 1941 to 1946 dropping bombs on the Japanese in Burma. When he returned home following the end of the war we again spent our summers in Baja.

I have had the pleasure of meeting & knowing most of the others mentioned in this thread. Each has contributed in his / her own way and truly deserve mention.

But Jack Smith, with his low key, insightfull & loving word pictures of the peoples and places of the peninsula earn him an award of greatness in my mind.

DENNIS - 11-21-2013 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
I had the privilege of having breakfast once with Romulo Gomez of God and Mr. Gomez fame, who passed a couple of years later, in 1994.

As we have mentioned in the past, DanO, I too met Mr. Gomez in his store, but never had the honor to share his table as you did. In retrospect, it was a great honor.....much more so for you than me.

Mexitron - 11-21-2013 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
I had the privilege of having breakfast once with Romulo Gomez of God and Mr. Gomez fame, who passed a couple of years later, in 1994. His son Pepe cooked chorizo and eggs and the old man harangued me for not speaking Spanish. Anyway, this is one of my favorite passages from that book:

One day when I was climbing over the rocks below our house, I noticed signs of erosion. It must be that the runoff from the rain was inching closer to the house. Every storm must carve its perch. Inexorably it advanced on our vain little pile of bricks. I wondered. Would the whole house fall?

That night at the store I asked Gomez about this unrelenting peril. "Someday, Romulo," I said, "our mansion is going to slide right into the Pacific Ocean."

"Oh, yes," he said. "Someday. But five hundred years from now, Jack, you will still be living in that house."

"Maybe so," I said. "But isn't there something we can do about it now?"

"Well," Gomez said, "would you like to try a little tequila?"

Years ago we left for a weekend banzai trip to Baja---left Friday night and ended up near Punta Santo Thomas around 1am......woke up to the sound of a van. Turned out we had camped right next door to Jack Smith's place...there had been a burglary and Gomez' son came to check us out. Fortunately what had been stolen were some big appliances so it was pretty easy to see we couldn't be hiding anything. Ended up having a nice talk.
In 2005 my girlfriend's son was looking at houses in the L.A. area to buy. He said he found a neat place but had a couple questions that needed my landscaping expertise. So went up to see the place and it was Jack Smith's house! His wife had just passed away and they were selling it, as is----still had the dog yard for the Airedales.
A very nice man, Jack sent me an autographed copy of his book after I sent a comment about one of his Baja adventures.

DENNIS - 11-21-2013 at 02:02 PM

WE have a gentleman, Mark Lurie, living and working here in PB, who claims the Smith house is now connected to his family.

Nice guy....no BS'er:

http://tinyurl.com/krearw2

EnsenadaDr - 11-21-2013 at 02:29 PM

It looks just like El Investig8r, Dennis!!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by majicparrot
Smokey Dave Love you!

Not sure who Dave is, but he had good taste in beer. SALUD

David K - 11-21-2013 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fang
I would have to agree with Gypsy Jan's selection of Jack Smith. I discovered his weekend series, (Baja Diaries), in the L.A. Times in the 1960's and never missed an installment. He did more to promote the area and it's people than anyone else I can think of.

He did it with compassion & insight, but more importantly, with humor. Most of the humor was self depreciating & it made all his recollections more believable.

Baja was not unknown to me. My dad had vacationed & fished in Ensenada & San Felipe for years & started carting my brother Jim & I with him starting in 1938-39.
He was in the US Army Air Force from 1941 to 1946 dropping bombs on the Japanese in Burma. When he returned home following the end of the war we again spent our summers in Baja.

I have had the pleasure of meeting & knowing most of the others mentioned in this thread. Each has contributed in his / her own way and truly deserve mention.

But Jack Smith, with his low key, insightfull & loving word pictures of the peoples and places of the peninsula earn him an award of greatness in my mind.

I was honored to have so many Baja authors (and web site hosts, such as you) attend my Viva Baja parties... Great folks who believe in the sharing and exchange of stories from Baja!

Fred Hoctor for me.

bajadave1 - 11-21-2013 at 02:56 PM

The gentleman could tell/write, the funniest baja stories,I have ever read about BAJA. see if you can still find a copy of "Baja HAHA.
Several hours of laughing out loud. He was also the Baja columnist for many years,at western out door news Magazine.

danaeb - 11-21-2013 at 03:16 PM

Baja Nomad BMG. I loved his blinking eye avatar. I was lucky to host him and his lovely wife lingililingili in La Paz. He was so witty, but always a gentleman in his posts.

[Edited on 11-21-2013 by danaeb]

DENNIS - 11-21-2013 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadave1
The gentleman could tell/write, the funniest baja stories,I have ever read about BAJA. see if you can still find a copy of "Baja HAHA.

Several for sale on Amazon used books for next to nothing. Used, but readable, and the shipping price is around four bucks.

Gettem' while they're hot. They won't last forever and then they'll be collector's items. :biggrin:

Met Fred Hocter in 1983

Gypsy Jan - 11-21-2013 at 03:39 PM

Loved his book and columns, talked my friend into impolite behavior - we drove up and knocked on his door.

He couldn't have been nicer, invited us in, chatted for a few minutes and then we realized we were out of line by imposing on his personal privacy and we took our leave.

David K - 11-21-2013 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadave1
Several hours of laughing out loud. He was also the Baja columnist for many years,at western out door news Magazine.

LaPazGringo - 11-21-2013 at 05:51 PM

Larry from Raquel & Larry's.

Remembering... Nomads and others from 2003

David K - 11-21-2013 at 06:21 PM

Here are just some of the Nomads and other Baja friends we have lost who I was privileged to meet and have a photo of...

Dik Lang

Mike Supino

Mike Humfreville

Carlos Fiesta (Chuck Chambers) (2003, 2002 pics)

Dave in 29 Palms

Jens Kolbowski is the host of http://www.baja-web.com.
Jens (pronounced 'Yens') is also known as El Aleman (The German).

Lu Ann Swaim

Juanita Miller (on right)

From 2004 Book Signing photos:

Baja Bernie and Herb

2002 photos:

Ann O'Niel

Larry Hahn (on left) of BajaDreams.com and Air Taco Bell fame.

(In 2001, on left)

Baja Mur

Chuck Potter (Baja Source)

Marv Patchen (Baja author and racer), 2005 photo.

One thing I don't like about getting older is losing your friends...

vacaenbaja - 11-21-2013 at 06:22 PM

Yes of course! Raquel and Larry. I use to "marvel" at Larry's improvised repairs
both electrical and structural. When main line electricity came
his way the guys from the utilities refused to put him on line
until some electrical issues were brought up to "code"
They just did not want his place to burn down.
I always stay there when I visit Bahia de Los Angeles.

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by vacaenbaja]

vacaenbaja - 11-21-2013 at 06:24 PM

Ah Dave! You were too fast for me!

Pablito1 - 11-22-2013 at 09:25 AM

For me Papa Fernandez was and still is one of Baja's greatest.

Regards Pablito
Semper Fi

MitchMan - 11-22-2013 at 09:52 AM

JFK

BajaBlanca - 11-22-2013 at 09:55 AM

I second Curt. He absolutely loved Baja.

David K - 11-22-2013 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pablito1
For me Papa Fernandez was and still is one of Baja's greatest.

Regards Pablito
Semper Fi

Papa Fernandez in 1994 (on left), photo from Desert Rat (on right).

motoged - 11-22-2013 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
JFK

Yes....:saint:

sanquintinsince73 - 11-22-2013 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Surdoc Stan and Bernie!
k

What happened to Surf doc?? I had a few cold one with him at Don Eddies a couple years ago if that.

lizard lips - 11-22-2013 at 01:27 PM

Fred Hoctor is my pick. I went fishing with Fred many times in Punta Banda and even took a trip with him to BOLA way back when. When we would go out in his small 12', which we would launch in front of his house, he would tell me stories about Baja and all over the world about his experiences. He was the Captain of his boat and would not feel bad yelling at me to keep tension on the line when I was pulling in. He would have made a great pirate, a good one of course! Hoctor would show up at my house just to chat and before I knew it he would be gone. He never said goodbye. I asked him why he never said goodbye when leaving and he said "you never have to say goodbye to friends". What a character. RIP Fred!

DENNIS - 11-22-2013 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Quote:
Surdoc Stan and Bernie!
k

What happened to Surf doc?? I had a few cold one with him at Don Eddies a couple years ago if that.

Last posted here 10/15/2012. Passed away. Heart attack if I remember correctly.
They just had a memorial for him in Asuncion. I was there in spirit. :saint:

David K - 11-22-2013 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Surdoc Stan and Bernie!

Here are some more images of Benie Swaim (Baja Bernie) to add to the one I posted above with the late 'Herb' of Baja Nomad...

2007 (Pyramid Resort Book Signing #5):

2008 (Pyramid Resort Book Signing #6):

Bernie's Books:

Pacifico - 12-14-2013 at 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by brewer
J.L. Terry from San Francisquito. Retired San Diego firefighter.

Anyone ever meet him?

Brewer, I missed this when you posted it. Yes, JL was a friend of mine and we were down there with him when he passed. It was a nightmare and a great loss...

And of course, Curt! I know I have more photos somewhere, but found this one of him:

brewer - 12-14-2013 at 09:09 AM

Quote:

I have met J L Terry if he was the guy that lived more or less full time in
that perfect little foul weather hide out of a cove along side the navy drug patrol. He had his
own floating dock there, if thats the same guy.

That was him, J L Terry. Died at 64, damn young.

Ken Bondy - 12-14-2013 at 09:15 AM

Anybody remember Jack Devine, the bounty hunter who was a regular at San Francisquito? He was quite a guy!

Jack

desertcpl - 12-14-2013 at 09:47 AM

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by desertcpl]

jack1 (363x192) (2).jpg - 36kB

Ken Bondy - 12-14-2013 at 10:54 AM

desertcpl I remember you and I discussed Jack a while ago. I used to really enjoy his stories, and somehow with him you got the feeling they were TRUE. Sorry I spelled his name wrong :)

desertcpl - 12-14-2013 at 10:57 AM

yes Jack was full of life, he was very entertaining chap

also very kind and generous,, very big heart

vacaenbaja - 12-14-2013 at 12:39 PM

My early years in Baja were spent exclusively chasing billfish on the East Cape. My first
and favorite skipper was Manuel Araiza Cota. A great friendly man with a wonderful wife and family. There is a picture of him in group in Gene Kira's
The Unforgettable Sea of Cortez
Whenever you gather by campfire or hearth lift a glass To Absent Friends.

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by vacaenbaja]

David K - 12-14-2013 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
My early years in Baja were spent exclusively chasing billfish on the East Cape. My first
and favorite skipper was Manuel Araiza Cota. A great friendly man with a wonderful wife and family. There is a picture of him in group in Gene Kira's
The Unforgettable Sea of Cortez
Whenever you gather by campfire or hearth lift a glass To Absent Friends.

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by vacaenbaja]

What page... and I will show it here...

Among the Missing, but found to be still Around

MrBillM - 12-19-2013 at 11:30 AM

Thanks to an L.A. Times A-1 article this morning, I find that Chuck Cecil is, at 90 (contrary to what I'd thought), still kicking.

His a.m. program beginning in 1956 on KFI, "The Swinging Years", was something I tried never to miss in those youthful days.

Living in Ventura with his wife, he STILL produces the syndicated show each week.

Unfortunately, it doesn't air where I am.

durrelllrobert - 12-19-2013 at 11:38 AM

Tony Reyes Sr. even though is was never a BajaNomad and I don't think Tony Jr. is either. Wazup with that?

edit to add photo

[Edited on 12-24-2013 by durrelllrobert]

willardguy - 12-19-2013 at 11:51 AM

Dee Cupz from anthony's. think she back to sonora. ;)

woody with a view - 12-19-2013 at 11:53 AM

Mom's B-day was Dec 8
Granny's Bday was Dec 2

I REALLY miss them.....

wetto - 12-23-2013 at 04:55 PM

Cork Pepper.
The stories she would tell me of her explorations in Baja got me interested and my fishing trips got me hooked.

Hi There, MrBillM

Gypsy Jan - 12-23-2013 at 05:13 PM

This is for you - listen to him online.

http://tunein.com/radio/Swingin-Years-p2100/

Merry Christmas!

David K - 12-23-2013 at 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wetto
Cork Pepper.
The stories she would tell me of her explorations in Baja got me interested and my fishing trips got me hooked.

Hi 'wetto'... welcome to Nomad... Sounds like you knew her, too? I was very lucky to get to know here and get to share her collections and hope to inspire Baja/desert adventures as she did with me! Re-finding her lost mission in 2009 south of L.A. Bay was a great moment for me... Now I am on a hunt for another mystery she wrote about often, the Lost Diaz Grave!

She added an 'e' to 'Cork' so it would seem more feminine, she told me (Corke)... Since most knew here as Choral, I don't usually use her nick name here... She autographed books as Corke however...

A GREAT human that loved the desert and Baja... I am honored to have her collections to share with other desert and Baja fans.
See the web page I made to show some of here photos from the '60's: http://choralpepper.com

Some photos from that site...

Choral Pepper listening to one of Erle Stanley Gardner's great campfire stories in Baja.

Choral talking with San Ignacio's Frank Fischer and E.S. Gardner ('Uncle Erle').

jeans - 12-24-2013 at 11:27 AM

Nobody has mentioned Chopy (Cornell Crawford)
:?:

David K - 12-24-2013 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Nobody has mentioned Chopy (Cornell Crawford)
:?:

You just did! Chopy was known as ESL (El Surfo Loco) before 'Chopy Chavez'... He was killed near San Jose del Cabo just months after we met him at BBBB-4. Chopy was a young, healthy Mexican citizen born to Americans living in Baja, developing hotels in Los Cabos. I think the Finisterra was one? His ongoing battle was with squatters on his land in Cabo Pulmo and corruption in the government of Baja California Sur.

Photos of Chopy with M, jeans, and David K, Sept. 21, 2002:

jeans - 12-24-2013 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Mike Humfreville. He was old school baja and loved the land about as much as anyone.

I bought Mike's book at the Discover Baja's Christmas party and had him sign it. The book went to my mother and got left with my sister in Ventura Co..

I did not get to read it for several months. When I did, he had me blubbering on the first few pages at his view of life and family and I remember thinking..."Mike, you're such a putz" (a term of endearment that was a joke at the time) I made a mental note to tell him I had enjoyed his book...finally.

When I got back to the board on Monday, I learned he was gone. I had started his book on the day he died...Why that day? I still get chills thinking about it.

I miss him.

motoged - 3-27-2020 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Bump

A bit of desperate resurrection ?

David K - 3-27-2020 at 11:48 AM

Desperate? No, I was searching for something on Choral Pepper for a friend and came across this post. I thought it was worthy to bring up to the top. Perhaps you can add something worth remembering, too?

Skipjack Joe - 3-28-2020 at 12:50 AM

I miss Natalie Ann Warner. She didn't post pictures of herself so there is nothing to post.

Recently I was remembering the early days of Bajanomad, before Facebook and Baja Talk, we were discussing smilies and she decided that it needed this new one: :dudette:

So when you post and see this on the right -

:dudette:

think of 'Nena'.

bowser - 3-28-2020 at 08:41 AM

Tony Resendez of Bahia De Los Angeles. His work to protect sea turtles and the environment in general was known to many.
Beyond that though, he was a pillar of BOLA who was a bridge between Gringos and Mexicans and was always willing to give advice or help if necessary.
A respected leader who didn't need a title to lead. A truly GOOD man.

David K - 3-28-2020 at 08:52 AM

Not long after bumping this thread up, we lost another "great one" from Baja Nomad... Keri. I made a post about the news: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94237

BajaTed - 3-28-2020 at 09:37 AM

In Bajamar, Peggy Van Meter was our community matriarch. Any animal brought to her was a soul buddy. During the big fire of 2006 she evacuated and had all of her dogs & cats with her, but left $50K in cash @ her house. She was a ageless beauty with wit like a machete.
She was once a Vegas showgirl and she had a bluff top home with an ocean front glass shower, the front nine will never be the same.
R.I.P. Peg

pauldavidmena - 3-28-2020 at 10:27 AM

I miss George Bergin (Osprey), who retired from his job in the insurance industry at 59 and moved to La Ribera with his wife Lynda, returning to the U.S. only once over the next 20+ years. With time on his hands, he picked up fiction writing as a hobby and wrote prolifically, sharing many a story on BajaNomad. He and I struck up a friendship over email and even managed to meet up in person once. When his health began to decline, he never once thought about heading north of the border, instead living out his last months in Paradise. Descansa en paz, Jorge.

Diver - 3-28-2020 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
I miss Natalie Ann Warner. She didn't post pictures of herself so there is nothing to post.

Recently I was remembering the early days of Bajanomad, before Facebook and Baja Talk, we were discussing smilies and she decided that it needed this new one: :dudette:

think of 'Nena'.

OMG, I had no idea Nena had passed.... very sorry to hear this.
She always asked me to pick her up on the way south .... d a m n.

Igor,
We saw a long-haired hippy dude with a huge knee brace in Asuncion but didn't recognize him until Tim explained. Sorry we missed you, hope Alex is doing well and PLEASE take care of yourself.

David K - 3-28-2020 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
I miss George Bergin (Osprey), who retired from his job in the insurance industry at 59 and moved to La Ribera with his wife Lynda, returning to the U.S. only once over the next 20+ years. With time on his hands, he picked up fiction writing as a hobby and wrote prolifically, sharing many a story on BajaNomad. He and I struck up a friendship over email and even managed to meet up in person once. When his health began to decline, he never once thought about heading north of the border, instead living out his last months in Paradise. Descansa en paz, Jorge.

Osprey was great... I was so glad to meet him and Lynda in 2017. He had a difficult time talking but still was so excited about La Ribera. I need to scan and share his unpublished La Ribera book he gave me. On the back of my mission book, is the referral by George (with Graham and GregN)...
Lynda died only a few months later, followed by George.

pauldavidmena - 3-28-2020 at 03:08 PM

I need to scan and share his unpublished La Ribera book he gave me.

I've attached what I believe is the "La Ribera Review" you mentioned. If it's too big, I'll put it on my website so that people can download it.

Edit: I think the attachment was too big. Anyone's who's interested can go to http://www.extraspecialbitter.com/La_Ribera_Review-2012.doc and download it from there. It's in Microsoft Word format.

[Edited on 3-28-2020 by pauldavidmena]

David K - 3-28-2020 at 03:34 PM

Super dooper! Thanks!!

thebajarunner - 3-28-2020 at 05:02 PM

Good bump David

I miss Bernie
After we finished collaborating on his last book he drove up with his new lady and we had a wonderful few days here. Up to Yosemite, a few c-cktails by our pool, lots of stories and memories. He was in great shape and fine spirit, but we lost him too early.

I miss the two early curmudgeons.... DENNIS and JR (Ski Baja)
Both could be quite contrary and annoying, but both had a great heart for the less fortunate. Something our current curmudgeons seem to lack, sad to say.

And I miss Antonio at LABay. We probably stayed at his place at least 15 times, and he was always an awesome host. Young Tonio and Antonio's widow Bety are also top notch, fortunately still with us.

Skipjack Joe - 3-28-2020 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Diver  
Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

think of 'Nena'.

OMG, I had no idea Nena had passed.... very sorry to hear this.
She always asked me to pick her up on the way south .... d a m n.

Igor,
We saw a long-haired hippy dude with a huge knee brace in Asuncion but didn't recognize him until Tim explained. Sorry we missed you, hope Alex is doing well and PLEASE take care of yourself.

Yes, she had a number of illnesses recently. They seemed to come with greater and greater frequency. After a while you lose the will to fight back and overcome. It's always a surprise when the end comes but it really wasn't.

She paid a great deal of attention to Nomads. She seemed to know most of the people who posted here and even their personal lives. Nomads was her way of staying in touch with Baja after Tucker passed away in El Centennario a few years back.

Gretsch - 4-7-2020 at 11:58 AM

Osprey, Humpfreville. From early days my favorite posters

Who do you miss?

RnR - 4-7-2020 at 01:50 PM

I actually miss hearing from McFez himself.

He started this thread more than six years ago and it has gotten a lot of action over those years.

He seemed to just fade away a few years ago. Anybody know why?

(Loved his Avatar !)

Neal Johns aka 'Aridologist'

David K - 4-7-2020 at 01:52 PM

We lost Neal last year... Baja Nomad (Doug) and I attended the memorial as did Nomads John M and TacoFeliz. Ken Cooke came too, but missed the service. Full post: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=93792

I took this photo as our 2010 Mission Santa María group had dinner the night before the mission, in El Rosario. Sitting next to Neal is Teddi ('Baja Bucko' on Nomad)...

[Edited on 4-7-2020 by David K]

Tioloco - 4-7-2020 at 01:57 PM

How about Herman Hill?
He was always interesting to listen to. Not sure if he was ever a Nomad

David K - 4-7-2020 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

He started this thread more than six years ago and it has gotten a lot of action over those years.

(Loved his Avatar !)

McFez was also known as "YankeeIrishman" here on Nomad. His last post was in Jan. 2017. He had a place at Campo Ocotillos, north of San Felipe. I hope he is still on this side!

del mar - 4-7-2020 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

(Loved his Avatar !)

don't miss those silly disgusting battles he and the investigator dude engaged in :rolleyes:

David K - 4-7-2020 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
How about Herman Hill?

Herman died in 2013, at age 92, in a car wreck on Hwy. 1...
Paulina made this memorial for him, at Las Flores...

His book will continue his colorful storytelling into eternity!

Hermans Book-r.JPG - 31kB

Tioloco - 4-7-2020 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
How about Herman Hill?

Herman died in 2013, at age 92, in a car wreck on Hwy. 1...
Paulina made this memorial for him, at Las Flores...

His book will continue his colorful storytelling into eternity!

Wow, I remember when he passed away. Cant believe it has been that long already.

Pages:  1