BajaNomad

Camp, Jeep and Hike:Laguna Salada, Caņon Palomar & Mano, Sierra Juarez

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 12:01 AM

Leisure combined with extreme driving. Moments of calm mixed with a chance of serious injury or... That was, "Camp, [extreme] Jeep and Hike." On Saturday, November 23rd our group of three highly-prepared Jeep Wranglers met in Calexico for a challenging run that included days off to go hiking and relaxing in complete solitude.

Calexico - Pep Boys Parking lot

Calexico - in the border line for Mexicali

Mexicali - Earthquake damage

[img]https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1459950_618714551518765_118106410_n.jpg[img]

[Edited on 11-28-2013 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 08:03 AM

On Saturday morning, we searched for Colegio Militar on our way to Hwy 2 and spotted several buildings waiting for the wrecking ball. As we left town, driving past auto junkyards and farms, we arrived in El Progreso where we topped our tanks and fueled our stomachs on some of the best marinated and grilled meats that Mexicali has to offer - at Asadero Morlan 2.

Asadero Morlan 2 - Located in Progreso/Mexicali along Hwy 2 near the 7-11 and Pemex Station.

Our group felt that Asadero Morlan exceeded Chronic Taco and Chipotle with their Tortas and tacos that they offer.

The grill at Asadero Morlan 2

Got Super Swamper Tires?

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 08:12 AM

The Laguna Salada had recently endured (Nov. 2013) pounding rains that soaked portions of it, turning the Salada into an impassable section of lake bed road. After a few short minutes, it was decided that we had no other choice than to take the graded road, and change our route - skipping the 1942 Pole Line Road entirely.

The Hwy 2 entrance to the Laguna Salada

We aired our tires down and Vicki disconnected the front swaybar on her Jeep. (Yes, those are new tires on her Jeep - money well spent, IMO)

Victor is the Graphic Designer for the Baja Grande shirt he is wearing. He did a remarkable job and will be approached for the next Baja Grande shirts and stickers being considered for 2014.

Got Mud?

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 08:17 AM

5 minutes later...The Laguna Salada nearly got the best of us!:yes: With Jeeps sliding sideways, and darker patches of mud up ahead, we decided it was prudent to turn around.

Victor's locked and lifted LJ Rubicon after only a few minutes on the Laguna Salada! His Baja MTZ tires are fully packed in with mud!

Vicki's Jeep resembled a Mexicali dirt clod! :lol:

My A/T KO tires now resembled chocolate donuts! :lol:

desertcpl - 11-28-2013 at 09:16 AM

Love it, thanks for sharing

TMW - 11-28-2013 at 09:34 AM

Great stuff, dirty work but someone has to do it.

[Night run] Corral de Molina and Palomar Canyon

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 09:46 AM

With our Jeeps packed with salty mud that was hardening, we headed for Corral de Molina and Palomar Canyon.

Vicki and Tim on their way out of the Laguna Salada

The graded dirt road was being used by the 6x6 Military rigs and Guadalupe Canyon tourists. Because it was already 2 PM, we would not reach our destination until after dark.

The view south of the Sierra Juarez Mtns and the Laguna Salada

Corral de Molina and Palomar Canyon after dark

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 09:54 AM

I last visited here in 2004 with Neal Johns' Desert Explorer group. Nothing has changed - there were no tourists, and the only residents were located just one canyon north of here in a prosperous-looking rancho.

Corral de Molina

This was our first time up the road into Palomar Canyon. For those planning a first-time visit, be prepared for rocks, rocks, and more (you guessed it!)

After reaching our destination, we quickly set up camp and prepared for a leisurely 2 day/2 night stay near our cold stream and hot spring (located near an abandoned house 10 minutes up an easy hiking trail).

Victor packed additional food from Asadero Morlan 2 - he went crazy with all of the good food he had that day!

David K - 11-28-2013 at 09:59 AM

Looking to hear the rest Ken... and why no Pole Line Road as it is accessed south of Palomar? The BFGs All Terrains sure don't self clean well... chocolate donuts indeed!

LaPazGringo - 11-28-2013 at 11:16 AM

You guys should really try to go more places and have more fun in those Jeeps, Ken! ;)

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaPazGringo
You guys should really try to go more places and have more fun in those Jeeps, Ken! ;)

You said it! The Pole Line Road itself resembles the shape of an upper case 'L' - You can enter along either Jamau or Cohabuzo Junction, but you must exit via the soggy Laguna Salada. No telling on if we would make it out or not. Military vehicles were not traveling the Laguna Salada - not with their beefy axles and 53" Michelin tires. Unsure whether or not my 35" BFG KOs would make it out of that salty mud or not.

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 08:31 PM

Caņon Palomar at sunrise

Tim and Vicki are a couple of Mountaineers!:yes:

Leidys and I took a hike to see the hot spring:bounce:

Close to the source

There is a cool rock house that was constructed and later abandoned. I don't know the history of this canyon, but with all of the construction which took place, I am sure plenty of people had the idea of inhabiting this high-desert oasis year-round.

Viewing the rock house inside Caņon Palomar

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 08:35 PM

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 08:42 PM

Back in camp, we began to freeze as the clouds began to roll in from the Sierra Juarez Mountains nearby.

Victor saw this as an opportunity to do some mountain climbing in cool weather!:bounce:

Tim and Vicki constructed a great fire ring as the sun began to creep behind the Sierra Juarez mountains.

Camp dinner being prepared

Camp as it looked on our last night in Palomar

We also had a clay oven to play with

Leaving Palomar

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 09:46 PM

Vicki standing next to her Jeep

Drivers Meeting - Here, we discussed skipping the Pole Line Road, and heading to the South Summit Trail. We made a wrong turn, and took the North Summit Trail by accident. This made for some hairy moments, but lets focus on the fun we had rockcrawling out of Palomar Canyon. It was a good day!

The upper portion of trail is very tame - kind of like the road in to Guadalupe Canyon.

Arroyo crossings like this one must be done slowly and precisely. A cut oil pan could spell doom for an under-prepared vehicle and its driver on a hot summer day.

Vicki made short work of this rock garden

Victor's Jeep features the 3.5" Rubicon Express "Super Flex" suspension - perfect for the unimproved roads connecting Baja

Visiting the Palomar Canyon Ranch House

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 10:06 PM

Beyond these gates is a well-constructed house in need of some moderate maintenance to bring it back to life.

Vicki and Leidys had fun on this trip

Victor posing in the doorway

Even Vicki's Jeep got into the act!:lol:

Definitely needed on hot days here

The outhouse

Continuing to El corral de Molina

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 10:10 PM

The road contained a few more rough spots - like the one here!:o

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 10:14 PM

Vicki

Victor

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2013 at 10:25 PM

The last section of trail contained a wash out that prevented my Jeep from continuing down the trail.:O

Victor to the rescue

Ateo - 11-28-2013 at 10:48 PM

Cool video, photos, and story. Gracias!!

Barry A. - 11-28-2013 at 10:53 PM

Outstanding pics and video, Ken. Great trip, and report.

Thank you.

Barry

David K - 11-29-2013 at 09:44 AM

Nice Baja Jeep Trip Report!:bounce::bounce::bounce::cool:

Corral de Molina to Mano Canyon

Ken Cooke - 11-29-2013 at 10:12 AM

Our group rolled up the winch cable and headed toward Canyon Isabel to see the big compound, but we never found it. Instead, we stopped for lunch, turned our Jeeps toward Cohabuzo Junction, and headed south from there.

One last look at Corral de Molina

We drove for about 2.5 hours before reaching the fence at lower Mano Canyon. We quickly set up camp and prepared for a 41 degree night in the desert. Cloud cover had disappeared, and the moon shone like a spotlight into our tents all night. For stargazers, this region is dark and views of the Milky Way are plentiful.

Our Baja Camp Jeep :yes:

The next morning, we reviewed our routes and promptly left camp at 9 AM. The Mano Canyon trail is extremely slow and rough on any vehicle. Extra care must be taken due to the narrow path and high elevations traveled. No mistakes can be made when crossing Mano Canyon.

8:45 AM Drivers Meeting

Now we hit the >>HARDCORE Mano Canyon Trail

Ken Cooke - 11-29-2013 at 10:40 AM

It turns out that this steep drop off wasn't so bad. Things got much, much worse the further we drove in. :o

Can you say >>OFF CAMBER!

After the chills and thrills, we found a safe place to park our Jeeps. The trail quickly became damp from the snowy winter soaking it received making us even more nervous behind the wheel.

Victor's LJ Rubicon on the Mano Canyon Trail

We quickly made it into La Sierra Juarez where the trail smoothed out considerably, placing us favorably near Ojos Negros and Ensenada.

woody with a view - 11-29-2013 at 11:57 AM

washout! a totota driver would have got the shovel out and ramped both sides down a little bit!

those boulders woulda made me turn around tho!

Barry A. - 11-29-2013 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
washout! a totota driver would have got the shovel out and ramped both sides down a little bit!

those boulders woulda made me turn around tho!

I will bet they, like me who also has a winch, will use any excuse to put those expensive tools into action---------it's called "justification", and it's all part of the adventure. :lol:

That was quite a hole Ken was in!!! and a great trip they were on.

Barry

Traveling North

Ken Cooke - 11-29-2013 at 02:20 PM

The 4 day run is now over. Our Jeeps are in need of serious attention after the punishing terrain took its toll.

Victor - Air chuck irreparable - On-board air system non-functioning.

Ken - On-board Viair Extreme system stopped working,
- steel winch cable fell off of the drum while spooling it out below Mano Canyon (repaired in Tijuana).
- shimmy turned into a strong shimmy at speeds above 40 mph on Hwy 3 (partially repaired in Tijuana).

Vicki - No problems to speak of - She's ready for more Baja!:bounce:

Vicki in Sierra Juarez with her new (to her) garden shovel!

Once our group reached Ensenada, we had the Jeeps cleaned up and the salty mud hosed off.

Clean as a whistle!:yes:

Thank you for reading, and Thank You Baja Nomad for use of the bandwidth!

David K - 11-29-2013 at 03:40 PM

Wonderful Report Ken!

Mano canyon road looks like as much fun as it was 10 years ago... Fun driving from desert to pine forests, on a Baja dirt road! Hey, and that was the Baja 1000 race course of just a couple weeks ago!

bigboy - 11-29-2013 at 05:03 PM

Wow, there is no way my Scout II would have made it on your run. I tip my hat to you Jeep guys!

David K - 11-29-2013 at 06:08 PM

I see a great smile on you face here Ken... I know the feeling!

Trip report for JustRuns 4WD Club of San Diego, CA

Ken Cooke - 11-29-2013 at 10:46 PM

On Saturday, November 23rd my Wife Leidys and I met up with two other parties driving well-equipped Jeep Wranglers for our 4 day "Pole Line Run." An early rainy season soaked the dry lake bed known as the Laguna Salada, leading our group to re-route the entire run - what we came up with exceeded everyone's expectations!

We first began our trip with a visit to Asadero Morlan #2 in the sleepy farming town of Progreso, just outside of Mexicali - minutes from the Calexico Point-of-entry. Asadero Morlan prepared some of the most amazing marinated Chicken and Carne Asada Tacos, Burritos and Tortas that set the tone for this great trip that we all enjoyed. After some incredible moments at the lunch table, we piloted our Jeeps to the Laguna Salada. What is normally a soft dirt path across miles of desert terrain was now a muddy pit that gradually sent our Jeeps sideways, begging for control as the mud packed in both our All-Terrain and Mud-Terrain tires without an ounce of mercy. We each carved wide arcs back to our point of origin, and with the help of the now out-of-print Baja Almanac Map book, we continued down the graded dirt road which follows the Sierra Juarez escarpment. With dark storm clouds billowing off in the distance, we knew that our run down the 1942 Pole Line Road was out of the question. Our destination would instead be the camping and hiking-friendly Caņon Palomar for two days and nights. Twenty four miles past Caņon de Guadalupe was El Corral de Molina, and from there, we were presented with a two-hour night-time run past semi-challenging rock gardens, around washed-out ditches, and past abandoned homesteads into the mouth of a spring-fed canyon featuring a cold water stream and a hot spring suitable for bathing.

With temperatures falling to the low 40s, and the occasional sprinkles our group set up camp, ate dinner, and quickly turned-in. Morning temperatures hovered in the low 50s, permitting attendees Tim and Vicki an opportunity to hike and climb some of the rocky peaks that surround Caņon Palomar. Victor eventually woke up, and after he saw how much fun they were having, began rock climbing himself! Leidys and I took it easy, strapping on our hiking boots and tracing the source of the hot spring that provides warm water to the man-made pool just below our camp site. The hiking possibilities lasted the entire time we stayed in this canyon, and it was really nice to relax in the Baja wilderness. Our second night was spent around our camp fire conversing with each other and warming up Vicki's shoes that she soaked while hiking with Tim earlier in the day.

On Monday morning, our driver's meeting was spent discussing route changes that would keep us out of the water-logged Laguna Salada and take us high above where we had camped into the Sierra Juarez - a region that had seen a dusting of snowfall, but would allow us an opportunity to make a speedy exit to Hwy 1 and later I-5 just past the Mexican border. We drove for six hours that day - spending about 2 of those hours playing on the 4 mile-long dirt access road that crossed rock gardens and lush palm groves back to Corral de Molina. We hunted for the luxurious desert compound tucked deep into Caņon Isabel - but, did not find it before eventually linking up with Cohabuzo Junction, and later the base of Caņon El Mano, where we camped our last night.

Our group hit the Caņon El Mano trail at 9 AM. What started as a rough, rocky dirt road developed into a cliff-hanger of a trail - complete with off-camber sections, wash-outs with 300+ ft. drop-offs, but views of the entire Laguna Salada region. Steep hill climbs presented sections where stair-steps covered in loose gravel gave us the challenges our Jeeps were engineered for. By 1:30 PM, our group had safely made it past this trail like no other, and through the Sierra Juarez where we were just a short distance from Ojos Negros - named for the numerous water springs that fill the Sierra Juarez with clean, drinkable water year-round. By 4 p.m., we entered Ensenada where our Jeeps were hand-washed (to avoid trouble at the border for the hardened mud which covered our under carriages), and then off for dinner at La Cocedora de Langosta (+52 646 178 3742) - adjacent to the Ensenada Fish Market. Near Tijuana, our group split up with Victor and Vicki's Jeeps heading toward the San Ysidro Point of Entry while Leidys and I stayed in Tijuana to have my bad steering shimmy remedied the next day by my Tijuana mechanic - Luis. Our JustRuns group had an incredible time camping, hiking, and 'wheeling along some of Baja's most challenging trails. In 2014, Leidys and I plan to do it again!

Pacifico - 11-30-2013 at 06:58 PM

Great trip report!

Ken, do you have lockers in your jeep?

David K - 11-30-2013 at 09:09 PM

It's a Rubicon... but video showed front not locked. The lockers are selectable.

MexicoTed - 11-30-2013 at 10:19 PM

Great photos and trip report Ken. I had no idea you could head up that way to Ojos Negros.

Ken Cooke - 12-1-2013 at 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
Great photos and trip report Ken. I had no idea you could head up that way to Ojos Negros.

Our Pole Line Group followed the 2013 SCORE 1000 route from Cohabuzo Junction to an area right outside of Ojos Negros. That's how we knew where we were going. We followed those 'Wrong Way' placards through some serious terrain.

Ken Cooke - 12-1-2013 at 08:15 AM

Ken Cooke - 12-1-2013 at 08:38 AM

David K - 12-1-2013 at 04:10 PM

How warm/ hot was it where she is?

Ken Cooke - 12-1-2013 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How warm/ hot was it where she is?

At the origin of the spring, the water was hot - about the temperature of a hot tub (~105 deg. F.). As the water worked its way downstream, its temperature dropped to about 95 deg. F. Where Leidys was standing, it produced steam. The water collects further downstream where it was about 90 degrees.

Hoses were in disarray, but cut have piped the water to the handmade pool near our campsite.

Standing water below the hotspring source

Polomar spring

PaulW - 12-2-2013 at 09:22 AM

Hiked all up to the water source. Here are a couple of pics from my album

And here are a couple of pics of the dry tubs near the shack

Ken Cooke - 12-2-2013 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
Hiked all up to the water source. Here are a couple of pics from my album

I tried to clear this section out with a rock, pushing the debris and algae downstream. The water smelled of sulfur but otherwise looked clean.

Good morning, Palomar Canyon!

Ken Cooke - 12-2-2013 at 04:21 PM

The Palomar Canyon Sweat Lodge

motoged - 12-2-2013 at 05:00 PM

Ken,
Looks like you folks had fun :cool:

Some bouldering out there !!!

David K - 12-2-2013 at 05:16 PM

LOL... the bricks are about the size of those of the Great Pyramid at Giza!

Ken Cooke - 12-2-2013 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Ken,
Looks like you folks had fun :cool:

Some bouldering out there !!!

We had a real good time. There was a moment of high anxiety when we drove through the Sierra Juarez. The local men were harvesting aloe by the truckload. Walking up and down the trail with machetes, driving their trucks back and forth throughout the mountain. Everyone got a little nervous with so many walking around with machetes. It turned out that the local economy depended on harvesting these aloe from the Sierra Juarez. So, no worries were necessary.

KEN !!

captkw - 12-2-2013 at 09:57 PM

LOL....Hola,,You use the "term" ROAD....rather loosely my friend !!....Great pics...Thanks.....

motoged - 12-2-2013 at 09:59 PM

Photoshopped:

NOT photoshopped:

Mexitron - 12-2-2013 at 10:11 PM

Nice report, I remember that drop-off in El Mano, serious pucker factor.

twgracing - 12-3-2013 at 08:29 AM

Great Report. I would like to explore that area soon!

Ken Cooke - 12-3-2013 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Nice report, I remember that drop-off in El Mano, serious pucker factor.

We climbed the drop-off. Steepest I have climbed with my Jeep, yet. The BFG AT/KOs did a respectable job, although I had little faith in their ability to keep me from bouncing and sliding around. They did slide as I applied steady throttle - the most challenging part of the trip by far. No guardrails kept me 1000% focused and the Mrs. scanning the trail for on-coming vehicles.:!:

JohnMcfrog - 12-3-2013 at 07:50 PM

You Jeep guys and gals are CRAZY..

Juanito

Bajafun777 - 12-4-2013 at 06:06 PM

Great photos Ken and I know for sure my Jeep would not be able to do the rock climbing, so I need to wait until you do beach camping. LOL Dang, I had family come down Friday night and was not able to get over to see you in Calexico before you took off into Mexicali. So, when beach run available I interested and see you in the summer at Las Gaviotas, OK?? We can U2U each other to set the summer connection for you and Leidy to be guests of Donna and me at Las Gaviotas for a couple of days. Have some other friends that want to talk to you about 4 wheeling in Baja that live there. Take Care & Travel Safe--"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Baja Beach Jeeps

Ken Cooke - 12-4-2013 at 09:46 PM

Thanks for the invite, Gary. I was looking for you at Pep Boys. The manager of the Pep Boys shop encouraged us to stop by if we needed any work after our run. Making friends and associates on every run is a positive thing.

I'll scrape up some Jeepers for another Baja run soon.

2007 Baja Grande

Taco de Baja - 12-5-2013 at 08:36 AM

Thanks for sharing.

I found one of the worst parts about El Mano was navigating the spider web of road, many with locked gates, once we got on top. But I have it all saved to GPS for the next trips. :biggrin:

TMW - 12-5-2013 at 11:37 AM

Excellent, thanks for sharing Ken.

David K - 12-5-2013 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
Great photos Ken and I know for sure my Jeep would not be able to do the rock climbing, so I need to wait until you do beach camping. LOL Dang, I had family come down Friday night and was not able to get over to see you in Calexico before you took off into Mexicali. So, when beach run available I interested and see you in the summer at Las Gaviotas, OK?? We can U2U each other to set the summer connection for you and Leidy to be guests of Donna and me at Las Gaviotas for a couple of days. Have some other friends that want to talk to you about 4 wheeling in Baja that live there. Take Care & Travel Safe--"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Ken does beach driving too!

So does edm1 in his 4WD motorhome... It is all about AIR PRESSURE!

Ken Cooke - 12-5-2013 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
I found one of the worst parts about El Mano was navigating the spider web of road, many with locked gates, once we got on top. But I have it all saved to GPS for the next trips. :biggrin:

We must have been lucky thanks to the recent Baja 1000 race. The one place we could have found ourselves locked out was open for the 'wheeling.

Metal poles on both sides of Mano Canyon Trail

Locked gates?

PaulW - 12-6-2013 at 08:18 AM

We see more and more locked gates both before and after the races. Turns out lots of negotiations took place the open them for the race. It has become more common lately that the land owners secure their property after a race.
I hope Mano stays open?

[Edited on 12-6-2013 by PaulW]

Taco de Baja - 12-6-2013 at 08:55 AM

That gate was open both time we passed through Mano in recent years (one trip going up and one going down)....And that hill is sure a lot steeper than it looks in the photo :o

All the locked gates we saw were up in the Sierra Juarez ranchos

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja

We must have been lucky thanks to the recent Baja 1000 race. The one place we could have found ourselves locked out was open for the 'wheeling.

Metal poles on both sides of Mano Canyon Trail

David K - 12-6-2013 at 10:57 AM

The AAA maps show that spot on Mano Canyon road as a 'locked gate' for over a dozen years... It wasn't closed or locked in 2003 when I drove down it.

Neal Johns - 12-6-2013 at 11:56 AM

I have been up Mano a couple of times (a few years ago) with my pop-top camper on a Toyota PU and never found the cable across the road.

Any stock SUV should make it with good tires, but the bottom is a little slow and tedious with all the rock ledges. Using the Baja Almanac, i made it through to Hwy. 3 with no trouble.

Ken Cooke - 12-6-2013 at 07:56 PM

That trail was the steepest climb I have made with my Rubicon. A stairstep that is littered with small rocks/gravel made climbing difficult. We found a brand new shovel in the trail that probably fell out of a pickup traveling the trail.

David K - 12-7-2013 at 12:07 AM

You think it is steeper than the Widowmaker? Not full of loose rocks, however.

The Mission Impossible "Widow Maker" vs. the El Mano Stairstep

Ken Cooke - 12-7-2013 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
You think it is steeper than the Widowmaker? Not full of loose rocks, however.

David - It was about the same as the widowmaker. The only difference was, stairsteps replace the steep, rocky hillclimb. Both the Widowmaker and the El Mano Stairstep are steep enough that all you see is your hood with about 20% trail just above your hood to give you an idea of what direction you must go. The Widow Maker has a nice berm to keep you out of trouble. The El Mano Stairstep has a sheer drop-off to through you 500 ft. if your 4WD gets sideways if you miss your footing on the stairstep.

David K - 12-7-2013 at 09:29 AM

I am sure it has gotten worse since I drove down it 10 years ago!

So, what was going on with your Jeep in that extraction video? Why were your lockers not both working?

Ken Cooke - 12-7-2013 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
I am sure it has gotten worse since I drove down it 10 years ago!

So, what was going on with your Jeep in that extraction video? Why were your lockers not both working?

The Jeep was really heavily weighed down with lots of gasoline and camping supplies, so I didn't want to stress the drivetrain too much. The rear locker was toggled, but the front wasn't to keep stress to a minimum. The front drivers tire was spinning and throwing dirt into the Jeep, so I thought both were doing the same.

In a few months, I will be regearing the Jeep and adding chromoly axles with upgraded ujoints - for now, everything I am running is (10 yrs old.) stock, original equipment. I could have backed out, but Victor offered to give the Jeep a little tug, and that's all that I needed to get across the two foot-deep channel that I was stuck in.

David K - 12-7-2013 at 11:34 AM

I worry about you Ken when I am not along! :saint:

Ken Cooke - 12-7-2013 at 12:17 PM

Had the Jeep broken along that section of trail, we would have been able to drive back to Hwy 2 in about 1/2 a day. I still didn't want to take any chances with spoiling this trip - which the participants said was, "Better than running the Pole Line Road." Can you believe that?