BajaNomad

Jardines

Russ - 12-10-2013 at 11:34 AM

Just stayed at Jardines. As always... good beds and met 3 couples from Punta Chivato and one from Mulege at the restaurant. I can't remember having a better fish dinner. I'm not a huge fan of ordering fish for dinner but the Fish Old San Quitin is excellent. The fish of the day wrapped in shrimp, bacon, cheese and a wonderful wine sauce. Unfortunately their idea of Caesar Salad did nothing for me. South to the border there was one really long detour that would be a horror if done in the rain but I had hard pack that was okay for my Explorer but smaller cars and trailers won't enjoy it at all. Some other short detours and I encountered a few double semi's that should not be allowed on the only highway in Baja I travel. The North bound traffic had to be closed due to their length on a few of the hill winding roads. North Viscaino road is in repair so another detour there too.

wessongroup - 12-10-2013 at 11:44 AM

Well .. good show .. Ya kept it on the wheels ... thanks :):)

DianaT - 12-11-2013 at 10:21 AM

Jardines is always a good choice.

BajaParrothead - 12-11-2013 at 05:57 PM

Good to hear you had a safe trip Russ. Thanks for the update on the restaurant.

liknbaja127 - 12-11-2013 at 08:36 PM

Jardines we just love that place, Russ next time try the cilantro dressing,
my wife says you can't go wrong:tumble:

woody with a view - 12-11-2013 at 08:40 PM

that detour is around the military check north of Colonet. try it dragging a 20 trailer sometime!

BajaLuna - 1-8-2014 at 07:00 PM

Jardine's hotel and restaurant are GREAT!

And holy moly about the cilantro dressing on the salad, you're wife is right LiknBaja127...my friend had it and it was fantastic, so much so I came home and have been playing around with re-creating it. I think it would be great over fish or chicken too!

Glad you had a good trip, Russ!

rts551 - 1-8-2014 at 07:03 PM

Last month 2 semis got trapped side by side (until they just ground by each other) in that detour section.

Paula - 1-8-2014 at 07:27 PM

Yes!!! on the cilantro dressing!

Ateo - 1-8-2014 at 07:38 PM

Cilantro dressing rules. They should sell that and make millions.

Timo1 - 1-8-2014 at 07:51 PM

Does anyone have Jardines website handy ??

I googled it and got a whole whack of different Jardines

Thank you in advance

David K - 1-8-2014 at 08:00 PM

We ate there for our first anniversary in 2009 (and had before in their older facility). We love cilantro, but didn't have a salad or knew about it!!

David K - 1-8-2014 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
Does anyone have Jardines website handy ??

I googled it and got a whole whack of different Jardines

Thank you in advance

It is the Baja-Jardines

http://www.hotel-jardinesbaja.com/

Restaurant page: http://www.hotel-jardinesbaja.com/id121.html

tecatero - 1-9-2014 at 03:39 AM

Are they pet friendly @ Jardines???

Howard - 1-9-2014 at 06:57 AM

Yes, however they only have a limited amount of rooms that will take pets. They take reservations so just tell them that you have a pet when making a reservation. Either that or you can take your chances upon arrival.

Russ - 1-9-2014 at 08:25 AM

As much as I like Jardines Baja I may try Paraiso Colonet next trip up. Reason? Well, if you're heading North and plan to leave before sunup you'll have to go into those head lights and there are lot of folks out moving around trying to catch a bus to work or school. Just too much strain for me first thing in the morning. Friends stayed there last night and said it was pretty good and the food at their restaurant was good too. They said they had to ask for a heater but the folks their were really nice. I'll do a report after I try it.

rts551 - 1-9-2014 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
As much as I like Jardines Baja I may try Paraiso Colonet next trip up. Reason? Well, if you're heading North and plan to leave before sunup you'll have to go into those head lights and there are lot of folks out moving around trying to catch a bus to work or school. Just too much strain for me first thing in the morning. Friends stayed there last night and said it was pretty good and the food at their restaurant was good too. They said they had to ask for a heater but the folks their were really nice. I'll do a report after I try it.

Please
ask about pets so many people seem to want to know.

Russ - 1-9-2014 at 09:23 AM

My friends have a dog and other friends have gone there with pets too.

watizname - 1-9-2014 at 09:35 AM

Paraiso Colonet has a great restaurant. Have had breakfast there and dinner on the one time I stayed. However, the room wasn't very clean, and there was a septic smell. No screens on the windows meant road noise and bugs all night. Not the worst I've had, but not the best either. The food was good like I said.:)

BajaLuna - 1-9-2014 at 11:23 AM

Thanks Russ for the Paraiso Colonet hotel info, adding it to my list of places to stay in Baja! Look forward to your report!

Trueheart - 1-9-2014 at 01:52 PM

Cilantro dressing ..... we want to add to those touting it at Jardines.

Excellent, and not hard to make, so we make it at home now. We are fans of cilantro. Often we will add a generous portion of it to the top of a take and bake pizza.

David K - 1-9-2014 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trueheart
Cilantro dressing ..... we want to add to those touting it at Jardines.

Excellent, and not hard to make, so we make it at home now. We are fans of cilantro. Often we will add a generous portion of it to the top of a take and bake pizza.

Recipe please!

Bob53 - 2-27-2014 at 05:29 PM

Jardine's is one of my favorite restaurants in San Quintin. I haven't stayed at the hotel though. I usually drive my rv but when I do stay in a hotel it is usually the Hotel Mission Santa Maria. Very pet friendly and right on the beach. The restaurant is so so and they make terrible c-cktails but the staff is very friendly.