BajaNomad

Spilling the beans-- Hacienda Don Mario in San Miguel de Comondu

Paula - 12-15-2013 at 08:58 PM

Okay, I confess to hoarding information from my fellow Nomads, but I'm ready to share it now

Hacienda Don Mario is a beautiful new hotel in San Miguel. It opened just in time for the annual winefest in late November up in the Comondus. The construction is elegant, and in the lobby is a small museum of interesting family artifacts from earlier generations on the property.

The kitchen appliances weren't in yet when the owners showed us a room although we couldn't stay at that time. I'm sure they are ready to go by now, and the three rooms are spacious with tiled bath and 24 hour hot water, and a small kitchen in an alcove. Price was $600mn for 2, and $100 pesos per additional person.

The phone number is 612-125-5474. The owner is Jackeline Verdugo Meza. As I understand they will be able to arrange some guided tourist activities for a small extra charge.

I'm really looking forward to staying a night or two in the near future!

[Edited on 12-16-2013 by Paula]

shari - 12-15-2013 at 09:46 PM

wow...what a fantastic addition to a magical place. I too look forward to seeing it and staying there if our usual cuarto isnt available with mi amiga Negrita & vladimir. sure would like to see photos of it..is it on the main drag there? I assume it is in keeping with the authentic historic buildings in the village.

Paula - 12-15-2013 at 10:01 PM

Shari, it is colonial style new construction, painted orange. One side faces the little plaza, and caught my eye, so I wandered over to learn about it. The museum is on the street and is an older building with the new hotel behind it. New construction just can't quite have that nice old settled in look, but it will come. They did a really nice job of it. It sits behind a lovely old home that has been beautifully restored and painted a lovely soft gold color. There seems to be a lot of positive energy in San Miguel these days, very nice to see!

Ribbonslinger - 12-16-2013 at 05:09 AM

My wife might want a break from the camper. I will check that out. What are the differences between the two comondus?

DianaT - 12-16-2013 at 07:18 AM

Paula,

Do you think it is pet friendly?

shari - 12-16-2013 at 07:39 AM

thank you Paula. It was my understanding that there were strict building codes there to maintain the historical aspect of the village which I thought was marvelous...perhaps this has changed with the new PRI party...the government is pouring lots of funds into the area.

One must be very careful with their pets there as there are lots of livestock wandering around that dogs may be tempted to chase.

David K - 12-16-2013 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribbonslinger
My wife might want a break from the camper. I will check that out. What are the differences between the two comondus?

About 2 miles...

Historic differences, when I return after work...

Paula - 12-16-2013 at 08:50 AM

Diana, surprisingly I forgot to ask, because our dog usually travels with us.
Because there are only three rooms, I would call ahead before going up to stay,
and ask then.

Paula - 12-16-2013 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
thank you Paula. It was my understanding that there were strict building codes there to maintain the historical aspect of the village which I thought was marvelous...perhaps this has changed with the new PRI party...the government is pouring lots of funds into the area.

One must be very careful with their pets there as there are lots of livestock wandering around that dogs may be tempted to chase.

The building that has the three rooms sits behind the entrance and lobby/museum that face the street. It caught my eye from the plaza, in part because of the pretty light fixtures on the outside. And the orange color is eye catching, and pretty. I think I remember seeing cantera trim around the doors and windows. It is block construction, which gives it that new look that is subtly different from the old brick construction in town.
It is elegant, and I think it will age in nicely.

I'm excited to go up for a stay, but can't do it in the next few months. Can't wait to hear some reviews here.

DianaT - 12-16-2013 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Quote:
Originally posted by shari

The building that has the three rooms sits behind the entrance and lobby/museum that face the street. It caught my eye from the plaza, in part because of the pretty light fixtures on the outside. And the orange color is eye catching, and pretty. I think I remember seeing cantera trim around the doors and windows. It is block construction, which gives it that new look that is subtly different from the old brick construction in town.
It is elegant, and I think it will age in nicely.

I'm excited to go up for a stay, but can't do it in the next few months. Can't wait to hear some reviews here.

Wish you were going sooner as we may travel that direction in a few months.

In areas like that we always keep our dog on a leash so that he does not chase anything or so that something doesn't chase him. We don't want him hurt.