BajaNomad

COFFEE! What's yours? and How?

Pompano - 12-18-2013 at 03:49 PM

I'm always up early, love to ring the bell and shout out..."Coffee's Ready!"

If you're like me, your first cup of coffee in the morning is close to a spiritual experience. I love the process of brewing the coffee, smelling it, preparing the first cup, and taking that very first lovely sip.

Having that coffee in Baja makes it so much more enjoyable.

Coffee bean grinder

For me, the beginning of this process turning the coffee bean grinder in the morning. Just the sound awakens and energizes me. 'Crunch, crunch...Rrrrrrrr' And there’s nothing like the smell of fresh ground coffee beans. A dear aunt gave me her grinder as a gift, and I feel connected to her when I use it.

My choice for beans are half Kona and half Columbia...ground semi-coarse(not too fine) ..gives me a robust cup.

French Press

After using the grinder for the beans, I then use a French Press to make the coffee. Another gift from a lovely woman who knows my habits. I'm a lucky man. Put in the fresh ground coffee, fill the carafe with hot boiling water, and wait about 3 minutes. Pour and enjoy! A little Kahlua on cold winter mornings will not hurt you, believe me..

(Now,if it looks like I might be late at the boat ramp, I'll just perk up a quick pot of Yuban with my Mr. Coffee.)

I cut out the French vanilla creamer a while back, but having a batch of freshly made biscotti at hand is muy bueno!

Well, that's my coffee...what's yours?

[Edited on 12-18-2013 by Pompano]

willardguy - 12-18-2013 at 04:56 PM

marino in the mr coffee, coffeemate and plenty of kahlua. I keep it simple

durrelllrobert - 12-18-2013 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
[

My choice for beans are half Kona and half Columbia...ground semi-coarse(not too fine) ..gives me a robust cup.

Looks more like a half cup Roger :lol:

David K - 12-18-2013 at 05:09 PM

Keurig K cups... pick a flavor, any flavor... brew one cup at a time... I like 'German Chocolate Cake' and 'Macadamia Nut' (yah, I am not a true coffee drinker, specially after I add the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Creamer into the flavored coffee)! LOL

If I brew real coffee and not the flavored stuff, I do like 100% Hawaiian Kona or Kauai Coffee.

Baja Angel IS a real coffee drinker... she likes it black... Medium Roast.

edit: we do have Bailey's to add, as it is the season!

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by David K]

Canela

bajaguy - 12-18-2013 at 05:35 PM

I put three 2 1/2" cinnamon sticks in the brew basket with the ground coffee

durrelllrobert - 12-18-2013 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Keurig K cups... pick a flavor, any flavor... brew one cup at a time... I like 'German Chocolate Cake' and 'Macadamia Nut' (yah, I am not a true coffee drinker, specially after I add the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Creamer into the flavored coffee)! LOL

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by David K]

My wife has, and uses, one of those all the time. She did manage to score some unflavored Tim Hortons k-cups from Canada and they are pretty damn good. Normally I just go down to Paty's, our local morning coffee shop and drink the Kirkland coffee they serve.

monoloco - 12-18-2013 at 05:49 PM

Cafe La Cholla La Paz, dark roast.

Timo1 - 12-18-2013 at 05:51 PM

Any brand cut with kahlua and/or Baileys is just fine for me

David K - 12-18-2013 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
Any brand cut with kahlua and/or Baileys is just fine for me

Other spirits can go in coffee nicely, too!
Irish Coffee: whiskey
Kentucky Coffee: whisky
Russian Coffee: vodka
Jamaican Coffee: Rum (yah mon)
Mexican Coffee: tequila
Navy Coffee: grog
etc.

24baja - 12-18-2013 at 06:56 PM

I am just a boring old Folgers or Maxwell House Gal, perked, dripped i am not too picky. Once in a while I will splurge on a quadruple shot moca from Dutch Brothers.

Paula - 12-18-2013 at 07:11 PM

Oaxaca Chiapas blend from La Cholla in La Paz, which I buy at Fandandgo in Loreto. I set it up in the coffee maker the night before, walk three miles with Don and Arlo the dog first thing in the morning, come home, push the button, and have two strong cups of good black coffee while reading the news online.

Edit: Come to think of it, that is a really personal question, Roger :biggrin:

Kahlua or any other liquor (except real Cointrois)
(Cointreau! duh!) is wasted in coffee. Drink that stuff straight , and never in the morning!

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by Paula]

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by Paula]

chuckie - 12-18-2013 at 07:20 PM

Cafe Carmelizado....straight..

BajaBlanca - 12-18-2013 at 07:52 PM

Machiato - latte - Espresso

Flavored with vanilla, cinnamon, caramel

But, the truth is, this Brazilian's body has turned its nose at coffee nowadays. For whatever reason, it smells good, it looks good but the taste is no longer pleasureable. It breaks my heart but that is the way it is.

Pompano - 12-18-2013 at 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Machiato - latte - Espresso

Flavored with vanilla, cinnamon, caramel

But, the truth is, this Brazilian's body has turned its nose at coffee nowadays. For whatever reason, it smells good, it looks good but the taste is no longer pleasureable. It breaks my heart but that is the way it is.

Blanca...after your long dedication I do believe you have achieved Nirvana! Really had no idea you were a Buddhist. Good for you. ;) ;) ;)

edit to add those smilies to make sure you know I'm joking..

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by Pompano]

DianaT - 12-18-2013 at 08:41 PM

Honduras grows some great coffee, but when living in the back waters, the only coffee was cut with other things to keep it cheap enough for the locals --- I don't remember what, but it was not great; it was okay made with a coffee sock. The best coffee is exported.

Then we moved to Guatemala where the same is true. However, in some of the better restaurants they served hot water with a side of concentrated coffee thick liquid and it was great! Most locals we knew only poured a bit of the concentrate in the water; we emptied the tiny pitcher for every cup! It was the best we have had. Guess we need a trip back to Guatemala. :biggrin:

Ateo - 12-18-2013 at 08:57 PM

Store brand. I know that's bland but I'm only looking for caffeine. When in Baja, I'm usually camping, and that means it's too much work to brew a cup before I paddle out surfing. That's where instant comes in.

Don't get me wrong, I love good quality coffee, but all I care about is the caffeine. :biggrin:

Paulina - 12-18-2013 at 10:45 PM

Quote:

...If you're like me, your first cup of coffee in the morning is close to a spiritual experience. I love the process of brewing the coffee, smelling it, preparing the first cup, and taking that very first lovely sip.

Having that coffee in Baja makes it so much more enjoyable.

...Well, that's my coffee...what's yours?[/size]

This was my favorite cup of coffee, served while still in bed, in Baja, with a marriage proposal taped to the mug and a ring attached to the handle with fishing line.

Black with a dash of almond milk.

I will never have another cup of coffee better than that one.

P>*)))>{

BajaParrothead - 12-18-2013 at 11:19 PM

Roger, your contributions to this board are priceless. Thanks for the great threads/comments.

Mine is whatever is hot. Some days espresso, others dripped with a little half and half and when I feel foofy, it's a vanilla latte. :o

David K - 12-18-2013 at 11:38 PM

Congratulations Paulina!!! Is this news , or did I just miss it when it was first posted???

Wow, Dern is a lucky man that you will have him!! :light:
It is so cool how we are really a small community on this planet, and Baja brings us together... it is magical.

BajaLuna - 12-19-2013 at 12:28 AM

San Francisco Bay Organic Coffee, is awesome. 100% family owned, not corporate owned, they grow their own beans on their own land, and it is shade grown coffee, and is a sustainable, fair and free-trade coffee too, and it's DELISH! We buy it at Costco here in the PNW!

bajabuddha - 12-19-2013 at 01:40 AM

being hypersensitive to caffeine, i do a #2 molita coffe filter paper on a thermous with 3 level teaspoons of 1/2 cafeine hills bro's... boil 2-14 oz cups of water, then sprinkle, steep, and serve w/ Nutri-letche 1/2 litro ALL GREEN carton for creamer, and when in the proper mood (more often than not) a 1/4 pack of sweet'n'low with a ditzel of El Prezidente added for medicinal purposes only.......

San Francisco French roast from Costco

Whale-ista - 12-19-2013 at 02:34 AM

I get their Whole bean, grind as needed.

Last Christmas I bought myself an espresso maker. Best $99 I've ever spent. Every morning I make myself a double shot and add a little hot water. No cream or sugar, just dark, foamy crema from the machine. Rich and tasty.

While camping, either French press or Melita paper filter...or whatever someone else offers who wakes up before me!

Cypress - 12-19-2013 at 03:13 AM

Switched from coffee to tea a few years back. Easier to brew and enjoy all the different flavors.:D

vgabndo - 12-19-2013 at 03:39 AM

I have to switch to something lighter too as I think my morning JAG is becoming a health issue. My favorite cup might just be one made from a generous portion of Combate Mexican coffee in a classic cotton filter cone with boiling water drizzled over the grounds into my big mug. Add a spoon or two of Swis Miss chocolate power and a little more sweetener, and I'm ready to enjoy. I can also drink reheated day old coffee the same way. I don't know if this makes me a survivor or a barbarian. :lol:

Bob and Susan - 12-19-2013 at 06:17 AM

this was our favorite...cat poop coffee...
but then we found another...

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by Bob and Susan]

coffeebest1.jpg - 42kB

Bob and Susan - 12-19-2013 at 06:24 AM

this stuff is $50usa a cup!!!

chitt.jpg - 41kB

Pompano - 12-19-2013 at 12:22 PM

I had a dream....

Last night I dreamed I saw a place called "Starbucks" and went in looking for nice hot cup of coffee. I read a sign about some $5 stuff called..

latte
mocha joka
cappacino
espresso
depresso
double late or never
machismo
staple your eyes open

Tomorrow night I'm gonna dream about where and when Mrs. Olsen will open a "Folgers" @ $1 cup?

jimgrms - 12-19-2013 at 12:29 PM

Just left over Navy engine room coffee that has been sitting in the pot for a week or so,it will wake you up.

willardguy - 12-19-2013 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
I had a dream....

Last night I dreamed I saw a place called "Starbucks" and went in looking for nice hot cup of coffee. I read a sign about some $5 stuff called..

latte
mocha joka
cappacino
espresso
depresso
double late or never
machismo
staple your eyes open

Tomorrow night I'm gonna dream about where and when Mrs. Olsen will open a "Folgers" @ $1 cup?
thats a 20 year old mrs olsen serving coffee wearing "something special" I hope! dont want waste a perfectly good dream do we?:lol:

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by willardguy]

dasubergeek - 12-19-2013 at 12:37 PM

I love great coffee but when I'm having a caffeine withdrawal I will stick my mouth under the three-in-one nozzle at Oxxo if that's what's available. Still, though, at home in California I usually drink three cups a day... cappuccino in the morning (how to froth milk without a fancy machine: get a cheap French press, put hot milk in it, and pump the press up and down through the milk 20 times), then espresso at 10 and again after lunch.

Mexitron - 12-19-2013 at 12:52 PM

Trader Joe's French Roast--make good and strong with a Melitta filter. Will splurge on some Peet's (Major Dickason's Blend) sometimes though its not quite the same coffee as the old days---by which I mean if you ever had a cup of their coffee at the Shattuck Ave or other early places in the Bay Area---whooooaa baby. Coastal Peaks in SLO is awesome too---Bishop Peak's and Deep Mahogany Blends

Pompano - 12-19-2013 at 12:58 PM

Coffee story.

A few years ago, while washing it, I broke my French Press container. Damn! It was a special present and I was disappointed in my clumsiness. That day I roamed many stores in the city looking for an exact replacement...nada. Then I came across a Sharper Image boutique in the Mpls Mall. Eureka!...found one! (cost a lot, but what the hey).

Got it home and intended to use it the next morning for our usual coffees. Well, she got the coffee ready before I had a chance, gave me my cup..and then said, "Dear, I saw the broken glass in the garbage. You should let me shop for these things...you didn't remove the sticker and you paid too much."

Sweetwater - 12-19-2013 at 06:24 PM

My wife is a LooongIsland raised Brit who inspired me to enjoy da coooffeee wid her. So I ended up with this setup:

Of course we have a couple of French presses and a rarely used coffee maker but that Rancilio gets a daily workout. I don't like to drink coffee all day but when I have a cuppa, I want to enjoy it to the max......

bledito - 12-19-2013 at 06:53 PM

haven,t a clue the missus makes mine, trys to keep me off the sugar, i use way too much.

BajaNomad - 12-19-2013 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista

While camping, either French press or Melita paper filter...

Any coffee press recommendations for camping? GSI, or ???

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LF3IDO

Gaucho - 12-19-2013 at 09:42 PM

Freshly ground Sumatra, black, mmmmmmm...

bajaguy - 12-19-2013 at 09:44 PM

Aeropress at bed, bath and beyond (also on Amazon.com)

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/search/search.jsp?Keyw...

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Any coffee press recommendations for camping? GSI, or ???

MitchMan - 12-19-2013 at 11:08 PM

I like Café du Monde coffee from New Orleans. When I ran out, I bought some chickory and add it to grounds on a 1:3 ratio (1 part chickory to 3 parts coffee).

dasubergeek - 12-19-2013 at 11:12 PM

Mitch, have you ever made ca phe sua da (Vietnamese iced coffee)? You use the Café du Monde in a filter like this: http://www.koracoffee.com/images/KOR_VietnamesePhin/PhinFron... (set filter on cup, remove inner dealybob, put coffee under, put dealybob back in, pour boiling water to lip of thing).

Then you mix it with lechera/condensed milk and pour over ice.

MitchMan - 12-19-2013 at 11:51 PM

dasubergeek,
That sounds FANTASTIC!

Hook - 12-20-2013 at 05:36 AM

Ours is never the same. But right now it's Costco French Roast cut with some other beans that have vanilla. Around Halloween, we were cutting it with some pumpkin spice beans. Otherwise, it's just straight FR.

We brew with this combo from Cuisinart. We've had this for about two years. Holds 8oz of coffee in the sealed hopper. Burr grind. Timer. Gold basket. Has selectors for strength (amount of beans per pot) and grind (fine or coarse).

But it DOESN'T empty the old grounds and fill itself with water. :fire:

And here I thought living in the 21st Century was going to be easy......

Pompano - 12-20-2013 at 07:30 PM

Coffee times.

You never know when or where you'll get that urge for caffeine...a good cup of Joe. In this case, it was this giant tribute to coffee along our Alaska trail that made us pull over.

And...you'll want your favorite cup, right?

It's easy enough to make gourmet coffee at home anytime you want, given all our modern conveniences. And that coffee does indeed taste GREAT!

On the other hand, when camping or just simply roughing it for a day or two...nothing can beat a good cowboy campfire coffee.

Might be that the wonderful clean air makes it better...and the way you make it over the morning fire.

I'm thinking of building a campfire in the kitchen...

Right Now, Espresso Italiano Whole Bean Coffee

Gypsy Jan - 12-20-2013 at 09:50 PM

From the Mega Comercial Mexicana in Rosarito.

We have been buying various coffee beans sourced from Mexico from this market for many years and the coffee has always been top quality and fresh.

We always buy grano (whole bean) and when you open the package, the aroma itself gives you a caffeine high.

wessongroup - 12-20-2013 at 10:39 PM

Thanks ... good stuff :):)