BajaNomad

Spanish ham in Mexico?

neilm81301 - 12-26-2013 at 08:16 PM

Just saw a. show, on Spain..... they went on & on about the jamon... anything like that in Baja?

Neil

Elena La Loca - 12-26-2013 at 08:52 PM

You don't mean the XE2 type, do you? ;)

Gulliver - 12-27-2013 at 12:25 AM

Speaking of XE2 stuff, has anyone heard of the Mexican FCC (SCT) checking or listening in to see if reciprocal ham licenses have expired?

I and many of my boater friends have gotten pretty lax about ponying up the bucks every six months. The last time I renewed, the form went into a card board box in the corner of their office. Scared the life out of several spiders.

Always bugs me in a minor way that a Mexican ham gets to just go North and operate with nothing more than an appropriate identification. Pretty much like when Canadian and U.S. hams operated back and forth across their border.

But when U.S. hams want to come South, significant bucks go somewhere. I know, that's the way it is down here. But they did sign a treaty.

Mike

chuckie - 12-27-2013 at 07:09 AM

WTF does that have todo with the mans question?

Timo1 - 12-27-2013 at 07:16 AM

I thought it was about meat :?: :?: :?:

captain4tuna - 12-27-2013 at 08:41 AM

Saw Serrano and Iberico Jamon as well as Spanish Chorizo in several stores around the Ensenada area.....Soriana, Costco and Pelicano

chuckie - 12-27-2013 at 08:52 AM

I have never found real good ham here...what there is seems to come from Costco....pretty mundane stuff

woody with a view - 12-27-2013 at 10:59 AM

we had butifara, a Peruvian ham thingie for Xmas. we could see Baja from the patio so it is on topic!

http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/snacksstreetfood/r/but...

Order one on line

durrelllrobert - 12-27-2013 at 12:57 PM

www.smithfieldhams.com/
Smithfield's "Olde World" country style is almost the same as you get in Spain.

Olde World Cured Country Style

These milder flavor hickory smoked hams are "a second cousin" to the Genuine Smithfield ham, but the curing process has been shortened to allow for a milder, less salty flavor. These have been aged to perfection for a minimum of three months but are still dry salt-cured to retain that distinctive country-style flavor.

PLEASE NOTE these hams have been dry cured with SALT and must be sliced thin to enjoy the full country flavor.

No shipping charges unless Express delivery is required.