BajaNomad

Dec 31st

bajalou - 11-28-2004 at 11:03 AM

Hello to all you Baja Nomads.

Keep in mind the last Friday in December, (AKA New years Eve, AKA December 31st)

At 12 NOON that day we'll have the 9th annual Turkey Smoke at Teina and my

place. We plan on smoking 5/6 20lb birds, making some dressing and gravey

and sharing that with a few of our closest Baja friends - and all you Baja

Nomads are included.

Come on by, bring what you drink and a side dish to share and enjoy a

afternoon of good food and great people. A lot of full time Bajaites, a lot

of 1/2 timers and some weekender and vacation types. You can pig-out on

great food, then take a nap and be ready to party in the new year and one of

the many nightime parties around.

We're in San Felipe in the El Dorado Ranch area and will be happy to give

directions to any and all who want to come. Since it's at noon Puertocitos

isn't too far to come and get back. We always have some from Percebu and

Sant Maria as well as Southern Calif and occasionally some from the Calif

San Francisco Bay Area.

Several Nomads have been to one or more and they keep coming back.

Hope to see some of you here

Send me an Email at bajalouATtelnor.net

:biggrin:

Mexitron - 11-29-2004 at 08:00 AM

Sounds great Lou--can't make it myself, I'll be in Oregon for the holidays with my family--hope you have a wonderful time!!!

Bruce R Leech - 11-29-2004 at 08:27 AM

now that is the Nomad spiret....

Lou's BIG year-end feed

El Camote - 11-30-2004 at 12:09 PM

The wife and I have been fortunate enough to attend the last two years and, through some obvious mixup, have been invited back this year. Trust me, you won't leave there hungry. Two years ago we brought the mother-out-law and even she ate her fill - no easy feat.

Good folks, good food, good time!

Looking forward to it, Lou, hope some more nomads can make it! :bounce:

DanO - 11-30-2004 at 12:32 PM

Enjoy. We'll be on the Pacific side blowing s**t up, er, I mean contributing to the Mexican economy by purchasing large quantities of fireworks from local establishments and utilizing them in a safe and sane manner to celebrate the New Year. Ahem. Wouldn't want to set a bad example for the children.

wornout - 11-30-2004 at 02:50 PM

We'll be there, directions?

Directions

bajalou - 12-3-2004 at 05:02 PM

Well I'm about a half mile south of Zoo Road (El Saltito Road) at the sign "Los Viajeros Sur"

Now a new road has been put in farther south which I suspect one of these days will have ths "El Saltito" sign on it. Great new road from Hght 5 right to the powerlines. But you can't get to my pllace from it.

So head west from the Alagator Sign. (for Rocodile) about 3 miles or a little more and look for the "Los Viajeros Sur" sign and come on by.

I'll be looking for all of you on the 31st.

David K - 12-3-2004 at 06:41 PM

Lou, 'wornout' is a 'geocacher'... post the waypoint for your place and specify if it is at map datum WGS84 (like the geocaches) or NAD27 like the topos.:yes:

bajalou - 12-3-2004 at 06:44 PM

I'm a geocacher too
In fact the "Campo de Travelbug en Baja" is in my back yard.

I'll post the GPS coords in a day or so - Keep the thread on todays page.

Thanks David

David K - 12-3-2004 at 07:06 PM

Yes Lou, I know you are... :) I think you went to one of my geocaches or one I had been to, for a Viva Baja sticker?

Here I am putting a Viva Baja sticker in the Baja Boulder Cache (by Tim Walker), south of Gonzaga Bay, July, 2001.

bajalou - 12-3-2004 at 07:09 PM

Yeah, we got 2 or three of your Viva Baja caches a couple years ago - Geocaching is great fun to get to new places.

jide - 12-3-2004 at 08:10 PM

Hey Bajalou
Thanks for the invite! I wish I could make it, but I'll be in Europe for 3 weeks. I'm hoping to do another Sierra SPM exploration in the spring, maybe I'll see you then.

bajalou - 12-3-2004 at 08:13 PM

Sure hope so jide - have fun in europe we'll be watching for you here in Baja

hey Camote!

capt. mike - 12-4-2004 at 08:27 AM

great avatar. we showed your movie enroute to mulege from San
Felipe at 7500'. big fun! thx again.

wornout - 12-4-2004 at 08:13 PM

Thanks for the directions. I think I can find it now.

Party

ArvadaGeorge - 12-4-2004 at 08:37 PM

12-20 to 1-2
I'm going to be at Pete's or Nuevo Mazatian ---Camping & dirt bike with several familes we are planing to come

When i get a better# i'll e-mail you

bajalou - 12-4-2004 at 08:43 PM

Looking forward to seeing you ArvadaGeorge - We're just a long stones throw from Pete's Camp (where we went for some toco's and enchiladas this evening)

Directions?

meme - 12-4-2004 at 09:46 PM

Wornout, if you don't know the directions ALREADY you deserve to have to stay home after all these years we have all been going to this annual Bash!! Lol:lol:

TMW - 12-5-2004 at 08:16 AM

The wife and I plan on being there to meet new friends and more Nomads.

Tom and Shirley

bajalou - 12-5-2004 at 03:31 PM

Great Tom we'll be looking for you.

wornout - 12-5-2004 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by meme
Wornout, if you don't know the directions ALREADY you deserve to have to stay home after all these years we have all been going to this annual Bash!! Lol:lol:

Oh, THAT bajalou, ok, I know where he lives.

Directions

bajalou - 12-7-2004 at 01:38 PM

Dec 31, 2004

Here is the directions to come to our New Years Eve Party at 12 NOON, Dec 31.

We are located in El Dorado Ranch in the Los Viajeros Sur community. From Mex 5 turn west (toward the mtns) at the road near the large Alagator sign (for Rocodille night club)

Head west about 3 miles and you will see streets marked #16, then next street marked "Los Viajeros Sur" Turn south (left) about 1/2 mile and on the left you will see a the back of a cement block garage. Probably be a few cars parked in the vacant lot just west of out trailer.

The GPS Coords are N 31 05.412, W 114 55.911, This is using WGS84.

We have a Telnor phone (686)576-0279.

Any questions, Email bajalou@telnor.net

See you there.

Bajalou, someone just told me

bajapablo - 12-7-2004 at 01:46 PM

that there is now a golf course in San Felipe area specifically el dorado. Any truth to the rumor.

Mexitron - 12-7-2004 at 01:50 PM

Ummm, what exactly is "geocaching"? Sounds like hide and seek with a GPS.

Taco de Baja - 12-7-2004 at 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

Exactly.
enter the grocache GPS waypoints from a website into your GPS unit. Use the GOTO function to try yo find the Cache. You can then leave a note or an item in the box or can or what ever its at the geocache.

There are 1,000 and 1,000 of these things all over the world.

A couple of questions

bajalou - 12-7-2004 at 02:10 PM

Yes El Dorado built/is building? a gold course. Had a grand opening in ?Oct with the govenor of Baja Calif. in attendence. I thought it was open to play the first 9, but heard they open for play in Jan. Second 9 is under construction. Supposed to be a pretty classy thing. (I'm not a golfer)

Geocaching - Steve you're exactly right - high tech hide an seek. There are 132411 caches in 212 countries as of right now. Great fun - sometimes leads you to new places and see learn many new things. Here's the main site for it. I've been doing it for going on 2 years. About 50 or so in Baja. Tim Walker has been keeping a list on his website I think. I've found some that David K left a couple years ago.

http://www.geocaching.com/

New Years Party at San Felipe

the baja chihuahua - 12-7-2004 at 02:39 PM

Why that sounds like a goldarn splendid place to be! I may have to get a hold of Randy Mac and see if he'd like to go down a little early this year. Would a guitar be welcome(if only as firewood)? Some people like my pie better'n' ma sangin'. Cheers. Excellent option!

bajalou - 12-7-2004 at 03:17 PM

Always need firewood. Guitars are welcome as are all of you - come on down!!

David K - 12-7-2004 at 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

GEOCACHING

synch - 12-8-2004 at 10:42 AM

I won't be able to make it. I'll be on a SCUBA boat to the Baja Socorro Islands - 200 miles south of Cabo

bajalou - 12-8-2004 at 10:57 AM

Too bad - maybe next year.

tunaeater - 12-13-2004 at 09:17 PM

Lou I'll be there for sure loooking for motorcycle ridders to go for a ride either before or after your food feast. Maybe on the 1'st or 31'st. I love to finish and start the year out right either fishing or ridding....Paul

bajalou - 12-13-2004 at 10:22 PM

We'll be waiting for you Paul. El Camote plans on being here and he'll probably be up for a ride or two. Hope your new baby Pablo can be here too. Little Charlie made the fiesta at about a month old.

Scarf 'n Ride

El Camote - 12-14-2004 at 12:30 PM

Hey Paul, I'd love to do a little riding. Lou's place is the gateway to the backcountry: Laguna del Diablo, Valle Chico, etc. We could either get in a couple hours ride after the meal and before the sun drops or plan it for the following morning and do a longer ride...or both!

Definitely bring the familia to Lou's. Last year we handed off Carlito when we arrived and didn't see him again until we finished eating. I'm pretty sure we got the same baby back. Who can tell, those little folks all look alike! :o:spingrin:

David K - 12-14-2004 at 06:52 PM

Wow Mike, you and Mermelada sure made a handsome young man! Eyes like gems! Good job!:biggrin:

Family camp

ArvadaGeorge - 12-16-2004 at 12:18 PM

Baja 2004/2005
It?s going to be a family camping trip.
12-20 to 1-3-04 Beach Camping & day M/C ATV rides.
Families will come and go at their own pace. I will plan some guy?s rides
(Real neat canyons)
And some family rides (Hot springs, canyon hikes, apache tears ,ect. ) We have done this many times before
See photos at WWW.arvadacycle.com
We probably will camp at Pete's http://www.petescamp.com/ 12 miles north of San Felipe 12-20- to 12-26-04.
And then move 12-26 to 1-3-05 20 miles south of San Felipe at
Campo Nuevo Mazatlan http://community-2.webtv.net/vivabaja/nm/
OR Laguna Percube depends on which one my wife likes
We are planning to attend Lou Party 12-31 with 2 or 2 families
We do some real hard dirt rides and some easy family rides
I am leaving Colorado 12-18 am Let me know before if you want to ride

MICK - 12-16-2004 at 12:46 PM

Geroge, I'll be stopping by Nuevo mazaltan on the 28th staying the night I have a lifted f-350 with shell and rack on top with kc lights sop and say hello if your there
Mick

camping

ArvadaGeorge - 12-16-2004 at 07:22 PM

I am driving my class c tioga RV w/trailer Colo. plates
M/C's & atv
I prob. won't be hard to find

cabokid - 12-17-2004 at 07:07 PM

Sounds super!Love to meet some baja nomads. I'll be campen down south of there a few mi. at place called la concha (better riding) Have Quad and dirt bike. Will be doing lots of riding if anybody would like to stop by and put some miles down. (white ford 4x4)

Hey Sweet Potato!

Debra - 12-17-2004 at 07:18 PM

I haven't see a pic. of Charlie since he was a newborn.....What a cutie!, good job Wendy! (oh yeah.....you too Mike)

Brendan says "Mom, he is sooooo cute, but he has teeth" I guess he expected him to look like the last picture I showed him also.....they sure grow up fast, enjoy him before he becomes a UGH...(teenager) :biggrin:

To those of you looking for a bit of golf, there is a "course" right at Pete's Camp.

Have fun everyone, we wish we could join you for the party, but they still haven't moved that dang border close enough for us to make a day trip out of it.

[Edited on 12-18-2004 by Debra]

Chucky

El Camote - 12-19-2004 at 09:39 PM

I guess that was a little confusing, Debra. The previous attachment was the picture of a kid that came in the new photo frame. (Please, no more u2u's from MJ at Popstar Child Care, you know who you are.)

Here's our sweet little guy as my new avatar. We've been so fortunate to get him acting gigs at such a young age. What else would you expect from the offspring of a sweet potato? :yes:

BTW, I wish I knew how to resize the avatar but I'm so darn proud. :spingrin:

[Edited on 12-20-2004 by El Camote]

bajalou - 12-28-2004 at 09:43 AM

Thought I'd bring this back up as we're getting close to the day!!!

I'f you're around San Felipe on the 31st, come on by.

tunaeater - 12-28-2004 at 10:13 AM

Lou we will be there for sure. TW and I are going to hook up Friday Morning in El Centro to drive down. My dad will be coming up from his house at Playa San Antonio. I'll get your part from Robinson Ford and bring it down with us. Did you get any rain. We got some in EC. Paul

Here's Baja Lou!

David K - 12-28-2004 at 10:49 AM

...When I met him last April, near Canyon El Parral...

meme - 12-28-2004 at 10:59 AM

HMMM!:lol:He looks JUST LIke my neighbor!!!!!;)

wornout - 12-28-2004 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by meme
HMMM!:lol:He looks JUST LIke my neighbor!!!!!;)

Yea, mine too, must have one of those familiar faces......:biggrin:

bajalou - 12-28-2004 at 06:43 PM

Thanks Paul. Just a few drops here - not enough to bother anything. Today was windy tho. See you Friday.

It happened

bajalou - 12-31-2004 at 08:37 PM

Thanks all you Baja Nomads - and the rest of the friends and neighbors who made out 9th annual Turkey Smoke a great success.

About 120+ demolished 6 big turkeys and tons of trimmings. Aged from 9 weeks to 80+ years all seemed to have a great time.

It was great meeting some of the Nomads that I only knew by posts - TW and wife, ArvadaGeorge and wife, plus tunaeater and family, El Camote and family, Meme & Jim, Wornout & Deb, Burro Bob (without burro) from the Nomad Board, plus a lot of new friends and neighbors.

Hoping to see more of you next year,

A few photos I took of the festivities.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/baja_lou/album?.dir=/1193

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 1-1-2005 by bajalou]

tunaeater - 1-4-2005 at 10:48 AM

Lou thanks for the good time at your New Years Eve food feast. We had a good time and it was nice to meet some new Nomads. I sent you some pictures because I couldn't (don't know how) down size them to 50k or less. Maybe you can and post them..Thanks Paul

bajalou - 1-4-2005 at 09:31 PM

Well Paul, I'll give it a try. Great photos by the way if only I get to see them.

This should be Some of tunaeaters family & friends.

bajalou - 1-4-2005 at 09:32 PM

Carla, Juan Pablo, Juan Carlos

bajalou - 1-4-2005 at 09:34 PM

Paul's dad and Victor thePolicia

bajalou - 1-4-2005 at 09:34 PM

ArvadaGeorge and wife, TW, and BajaLou's back

bajalou - 1-4-2005 at 09:38 PM

And Charlie heading for seconds -

TMW - 1-5-2005 at 03:11 PM

Bajalou, Shirley and I got back today at noon. I'll post a trip report later. Thank you for a really wonderfull party. The turkey and all the fixings were great and the conversations and friendships were even better. Looking forward to next year.

Tom