BajaNomad

Whale Magic in Ojo de Liebre last week!

shari - 1-10-2014 at 09:33 AM

On January 6th, my daughter Sirena, her husband Adrian and my 3 year old grandson Izaak set out to Ojo de Liebre calving lagoon near Guerrero Negro, more than excited to see some of our old whale friends again. Izaak couldnt wait and ran down to climb aboard the panga named after his Mama!

We were curious to find out how many whales were in the lagoon as reports from California indicated that the southern migration was much earlier this season. Whale spotters at Point Vicente in Rancho Palos Verdes counted 364 gray whales heading south to Baja California in December, whereas only 182 were counted during the same period in 2012. The record count is far higher than in 2010, when observers saw just 38 gray whales in December.

Our first day on the water was a beauty and as expected we saw more whales in the lagoon than ever before at this early date. We estimated seeing about 30-40 whales in the very inner lagoon, half of them with newborn calves. Many of the mothers were sleeping after their long migration and childbirth and the huge pregnant females were just lounging around waiting, often accompanied by another adult whale.

We were particularly looking for whales in labor and found one we thought may be giving birth as she was lifting her head out of the water on every breath which is abnormal. We stayed with this whale about 15 minutes to photo identify it and noted that it’s breathing was unusual as she was chortling at every exhale as if she was having respiratory problems. I hope it is just a cold and she survives.

We observed 3 different “nursing groups” with several cow/calf pairs together in an area whose calves are about the same age. Each group often has what I think is an elder grandmother present to watch over the new families.

When we stopped to meet an adult pair, they immediately turned towards our panga and came over to check us out. As is the custom, they circled the boat a few times and passed underneath us as they got to know us.

When they were satisfied we weren’t a threat, they came right up to the boat and turned over on their side to gaze into our eyes. My grandson was thrilled and asked if the whale was going to touch him!

They didn’t mind a little chin rub while they watched us and we all had a chance to make physical contact with the friendlier of the two whales who seemed very relaxed and accustomed to humans.

This whale we have named Eyezak as she spent such a long time looking into Izaak’s eyes.

The whales stayed with us for about an hour after which we had to leave them and they followed us a ways wanting to hang out longer!

It was a wonderful omen for the season to begin with such a magical encounter.

Bajagypsy - 1-10-2014 at 09:41 AM

Wow, what an experience!

shari - 1-10-2014 at 10:43 AM

THE FIRST GRAY WHALE CENSUS OF THE YEAR IN OJO DE LIEBRE REPORTS THERE ARE 318 ADULTS AND 119 CALVES FOR A TOTAL OF 437!!! WOOO HOOOO
Last Jan.6th, there were 236 Adults, 106 calves for a total of 342

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n3251406.htm

[Edited on 1-10-2014 by shari]

Ateo - 1-10-2014 at 10:56 AM

Seeing those whales up close is a life changing experience. Thanks for taking us out last year. We will be back next time with more people!

Barbareno - 1-10-2014 at 11:11 AM

Can't wait for our turn....we be first timer's.

BajaLuna - 1-10-2014 at 04:19 PM

thanks for the whale report, Shari! And the pictures are awesome!

Love the pic of Izaak walking to the dock. One can feel his sense of excitement and wonder of what awaits him!

liknbaja127 - 1-10-2014 at 08:23 PM

Great report Shari, looking so forward to your trip in March:bounce:

bajalearner - 1-10-2014 at 08:57 PM

Fantastic

Ken Bondy - 1-10-2014 at 09:39 PM

These are fabulous hermana!!!

churro - 1-10-2014 at 10:47 PM

Nice report and photos Shari, my wife and I will definitely need to go on one of your tours next year. I will need to plan a Baja trip around one of your whale tours.

BajaLucy - 1-11-2014 at 08:12 AM

Thanks for posting pix Shari Your nieto looks muy guapo saludos desde Socal-Ca
Hasta la proxima, :bounce:

shari - 1-11-2014 at 10:49 AM

thank you all...we are so stoked for this season's trips and look forward to gazing into the whale's eyes with many of you soon.

We till have seats available on several trips and will also have a full time camp set up at the inner lagoon ejido campground if you want to stop in and visit.

woody with a view - 1-11-2014 at 03:16 PM

if you've never been, check out one of Shari's trips. very educational and the whales are a bonus!

CakedecT - 1-28-2014 at 03:42 PM

How is the road to the campground for a 2wd car? Do we need reservations at the campground?

shari - 1-28-2014 at 04:12 PM

it is fine...I drive my little Ford Contour Sport out there all the time...there are a couple sandy spots on the edges you can avoid and most of it is well graded. No you dont need reservations to camp and there are lots of palapas. But if there is one you especially want, you can reserve it...I can do it for you if you like or give you the phone number of their office.

Tomorrow we will be sniffing whale breath!

Udo - 1-28-2014 at 04:47 PM

Superb photos, as always, Shari!

Geo_Skip - 1-28-2014 at 05:24 PM

Astounding Shari. the Photo of Eyezak's eye looking up is a sight of a mind reaching across a physical boundary to make contact with another mind.

You draw the most incredible experiences to you like magic.

Bajahowodd - 1-28-2014 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Seeing those whales up close is a life changing experience. Thanks for taking us out last year. We will be back next time with more people!

So very true.

I can't recall the number of folks I've encountered who went to Sea World, and believe they were in heaven. I've talked to many about the incredible difference they will encounter by getting off their fat butts and driving a bit in order to join these magnificent creatures on their terms. There is nothing like it.

CortezBlue - 1-28-2014 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
On January 6th, my daughter Sirena, her husband Adrian and my 3 year old grandson Izaak set out to Ojo de Liebre calving lagoon near Guerrero Negro, more than excited to see some of our old whale friends again. Izaak couldnt wait and ran down to climb aboard the panga named after his Mama!

We were curious to find out how many whales were in the lagoon as reports from California indicated that the southern migration was much earlier this season. Whale spotters at Point Vicente in Rancho Palos Verdes counted 364 gray whales heading south to Baja California in December, whereas only 182 were counted during the same period in 2012. The record count is far higher than in 2010, when observers saw just 38 gray whales in December.

Our first day on the water was a beauty and as expected we saw more whales in the lagoon than ever before at this early date. We estimated seeing about 30-40 whales in the very inner lagoon, half of them with newborn calves. Many of the mothers were sleeping after their long migration and childbirth and the huge pregnant females were just lounging around waiting, often accompanied by another adult whale.

We were particularly looking for whales in labor and found one we thought may be giving birth as she was lifting her head out of the water on every breath which is abnormal. We stayed with this whale about 15 minutes to photo identify it and noted that it’s breathing was unusual as she was chortling at every exhale as if she was having respiratory problems. I hope it is just a cold and she survives.

We observed 3 different “nursing groups” with several cow/calf pairs together in an area whose calves are about the same age. Each group often has what I think is an elder grandmother present to watch over the new families.

When we stopped to meet an adult pair, they immediately turned towards our panga and came over to check us out. As is the custom, they circled the boat a few times and passed underneath us as they got to know us.

When they were satisfied we weren’t a threat, they came right up to the boat and turned over on their side to gaze into our eyes. My grandson was thrilled and asked if the whale was going to touch him!

They didn’t mind a little chin rub while they watched us and we all had a chance to make physical contact with the friendlier of the two whales who seemed very relaxed and accustomed to humans.

This whale we have named Eyezak as she spent such a long time looking into Izaak’s eyes.

The whales stayed with us for about an hour after which we had to leave them and they followed us a ways wanting to hang out longer!

It was a wonderful omen for the season to begin with such a magical encounter.

All great photos, but I wuv the last one. It almost looks like a piece of art work made from glass

shari - 1-28-2014 at 09:03 PM

I will never forget those moments when this whale gazed at Izaak for soooo long. Often you will see them scanning the faces back and forth with their eyes but this whale just stared at him!

boe4fun - 1-29-2014 at 09:37 AM

That boy's just too cute - and growing like a weed! I can't get over how big he looks now and it's only been about a year since we'd last seen him!

BajaRat - 1-29-2014 at 10:06 AM

Thank God we still have these creatures. Viva BCS !
Thanks Shari, What time frame will yall be out at whale camp ?

shari - 1-30-2014 at 09:19 AM

A quick update from yesterday's trip...INSANE!!! Our experience was off the charts crazy. There are now about 1,500 whales in Ojo de Liebre so it will be interesting to see if we have nearly reached peak numbers a couple weeks early or if there will be high numbers this year.

We are in party mode here with our newest member of the whale magic team...Amelia...celebrating a birthday. We invited the campers from the lagoon to come for the fiesta today...Huichol drummers and the celtic musicians from Campo Sirena...hmmm...wonder how cumbias sound on the bagpipes? stay tuned

CakedecT - 1-30-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
it is fine...I drive my little Ford Contour Sport out there all the time...there are a couple sandy spots on the edges you can avoid and most of it is well graded. No you dont need reservations to camp and there are lots of palapas. But if there is one you especially want, you can reserve it...I can do it for you if you like or give you the phone number of their office.

Tomorrow we will be sniffing whale breath!

CakedecT - 1-30-2014 at 09:57 AM

Hey Shari
Thanks for the info on the palapas. My daughter and I are coming down for the first time and want to camp there, are there any palapas that have advantages so we would want to reserve? Also any other tips about camping there would be appreciated!

shari - 1-30-2014 at 03:02 PM

there are palapas stretched all the way down the lagoon so it really depends on what you like...if you want to be close to the Interpretive Center where the whale trips leave from, choose a closer one...also I think the first 5 palapas have electricity...if you want to be further out...choose one of those.

It can get cold at night so bring warm clothes and firewood if you want a fire...they have fire pits but no firewood...there are outhouses and showers too...see ya there!

55steve - 1-30-2014 at 03:27 PM

Headed down in 10 days....I am excited!