BajaNomad

How about a Baja/SoC boating board?

Hook - 1-17-2014 at 08:32 PM

Not a fishing board. A board where people who cruise or just day trip can talk about boating issues, especially anchoring locations, marinas, fuel docks, GPS coordinates, maintenance, parts, documentation, etc.

I think it would be useful and used fairly regularly.

[Edited on 1-18-2014 by Hook]

Islandbuilder - 1-17-2014 at 11:45 PM

I vote yes.

David K - 1-18-2014 at 09:29 AM

Sounds great... Nomad has one for private aircraft afterall! Seems there are more boat owners here than pilots?

Bob H - 1-18-2014 at 09:45 AM

What a great idea Hook!
:light:

BajaParrothead - 1-18-2014 at 10:11 AM

Great suggestion Hook. I've searched for books related to the crusing aspects of Baja and there does not appear to be anything available. Most everything published is related to the Carribean.

Hook - 1-18-2014 at 02:15 PM

Uh-oh, did someone say books? :lol:

Well, before David jumps in here, there have been some good ones in the past (Charlie's Charts, Jack Williams' Baja Boater's Guides I and II, the Gerry Cunningham books, even the Baja Adventure Books by Peterson had some stuff) but some of them are outdated and most were written before we all had GPS units. No coordinates except triangulation bearings to landmarks.

The best one I have found is the Sea of Cortez; a Crusier's Guidebook by Breeding and Bansmer. Believe they have a new edition out in the last year. I have the older one that is still good but it does a poor job of covering the anchorages north of San Carlos, Sonora.

Has anyone seen the new edition to see if it has improved coverage north of San Carlos?

David K - 1-18-2014 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Uh-oh, did someone say books? :lol:

Well, before David jumps in here, there have been some good ones in the past (Charlie's Charts, Jack Williams' Baja Boater's Guides I and II, the Gerry Cunningham books, even the Baja Adventure Books by Peterson had some stuff) but some of them are outdated and most were written before we all had GPS units. No coordinates except triangulation bearings to landmarks.

The best one I have found is the Sea of Cortez; a Crusier's Guidebook by Breeding and Bansmer. Believe they have a new edition out in the last year. I have the older one that is still good but it does a poor job of covering the anchorages north of San Carlos, Sonora.

Has anyone seen the new edition to see if it has improved coverage north of San Carlos?

So some images of the awesome 'SEA GUIDE VOLUME II BAJA' c1971 & c1973 by Leland Lewis and Peter Ebeling is out the question??? :lol:

Jack Swords - 1-18-2014 at 02:31 PM

Great idea Hook. Currently sitting in my sailboat down in La Paz. Boaters can always share info, the latest TIPS fiasco is an example.

David, I have the Sea Guide, wonderful photos, but I believe that Jack Williams bailed on that book due to some navigational errors printed (kind of important). Maybe someone has more information.

Hook - 1-18-2014 at 02:35 PM

I havent seen that one.

There is still value to the images of coves and such but they arent as valuable as a coordinate, especially if you are coming into an anchorage in the dark. Still valuable, though. I still bring the Williams book if I am going to an unknown area.

What're you waiting for, oh Master of All that Possesses a Copyright? Out with it, already!!!

It would be cool to have a short Nomad member cruise sometime. Lots of good areas from BOLA to La Paz. I've still never crossed over from Kino to BOLA. Would love to do that, sometime. I've fished San Esteban from BOLA but never been to Tiburon and Dog Bay.

Hey, Pescador, has the fuel sitch changed in SR? Still gotta ferry cans to the land pumps or hire a guy?

Hook - 1-18-2014 at 02:40 PM

Hey, Jack, did a lot of boats that were already in compliance get tagged by SAT? Or was it all people who deserved it? How many have been released?

Marina San Carlos had about 30% of the total number of boats tagged by SAT. But they did go into their dry storage area (which is extensive!) and tagged a bunch in there. Did they check dry storage at Marina de La Paz or the other secas?

David K - 1-18-2014 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Great idea Hook. Currently sitting in my sailboat down in La Paz. Boaters can always share info, the latest TIPS fiasco is an example.

David, I have the Sea Guide, wonderful photos, but I believe that Jack Williams bailed on that book due to some navigational errors printed (kind of important). Maybe someone has more information.

Before Jack Williams (who made it into two volumes and paperback)... a huge hardback book. Rare indeed. Sally (Alejandra de Baja) and I fought over one she spotted first at a used book store in 2000. It went into La Paz Bay when her boat/ home sank during a hurricane. I had since found another.

Others might include...

David K - 1-18-2014 at 02:49 PM

Pompano - 1-18-2014 at 02:55 PM

I have quite a few Baja boating books, magazines, etc on my bookshelves..including the ones below.

My Sea Guide could use a some TLC....A little worn out over the years, but still readable...and collectable. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 1-20-2014 by Pompano]

- 0 0 2coffeetablebooks.jpg - 44kB

sequoyah - 1-18-2014 at 03:48 PM

I'm all for it and would be an active participant.

BTW, went to a meeting this week in La Paz about the boat seizures and would be glad to answer any questions to the best to my ability.

The man who spoke had a lot of accurate information about what had happened.

Hook - 1-18-2014 at 05:18 PM

You wanna start a different thread? Makes sense. Go for it. I'm sure the marina operator over here would love to compare notes with what went on in La Paz.

Jack Swords - 1-18-2014 at 06:06 PM

Hook...we have a good TIP, hull numbers, engine numbers, etc. are correct, so no problem. The arm of the Mexican IRS, AGACE, is the one checking TIPS and impounding boats until they can prove they are in the country legally and imported with the TIP. Here in La Paz we have not been affected, in a marina or in dry storage. Different folks have no TIP, incorrect numbers, etc. and they are concerned. They did hit Cabo. Neil Shroyer, who is the owner and manages Marina de la Paz spoke to a group Wednesday and thinks the issue is pretty much over, for now. He was the jefe of API for several years too. His suggestion is to have a correct TIP, have your paperwork on file in the marina office, and you should have no problem. Those at anchor need to have the correct documentation as required by Mexican law and be prepared to show it. The meeting was well attended, so there is a concern. We are in a marina, correct paperwork on file, so not a personal issue. This is our 16th year here (cruising season).

Hope to see you down here some day!

Jack

DK

captkw - 1-18-2014 at 06:15 PM

I had the boat ramps of Baja book (red) and it was rather thin...like 18/21 pages..I am going try and find the one listed below that for giggles !!! do you have a library of congress number by chance ??....K&T:cool:

BajaNomad - 1-18-2014 at 06:35 PM

What should the forum description state?

David K - 1-18-2014 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I had the boat ramps of Baja book (red) and it was rather thin...like 18/21 pages..I am going try and find the one listed below that for giggles !!! do you have a library of congress number by chance ??....K&T:cool:

This one?

It is written by a Baja Nomad and he was here for a while talking about it... I will see if I can find his post with ordering details... :light:

ZThomas exchanged details beginning in this thread on 8-4-2008: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=32857

Sadly, the web page is no longer online. The ISBN number is: 978-0-615-18846-1

The book is jam packed with information and photos!

[Edited on 1-19-2014 by David K]

DK

captkw - 1-18-2014 at 08:02 PM

Funny the pic of the guy on the cover looks like someone I've met !! but., ya,,that's one I've not seen/read...Hopeing maybe something new for my small mind..The Kira book ran out of steam a long,,long time ago...Thanks,,once again !! You are a amazing source of BAJA info....K&T:cool:

David K - 1-18-2014 at 08:08 PM

Zach did a lot of research and traveling for this book. He last posted here in 2009, I think... I am sure lot's of people met him in Baja. I am always bummed to see dead web sites... The book is about the size of Peterson's Baja Adventure Book.

David K - 1-18-2014 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

Hook mentions some:
Not a fishing board. A board where people who cruise or just day trip can talk about boating issues, especially anchoring locations, marinas, fuel docks, GPS coordinates, maintenance, parts, documentation, etc.

Boating

captkw - 1-18-2014 at 08:26 PM

Sorta says it all !!! Now that I'm getting on in Years (53) and have ran boats and repair/fix/upgrade them with more miles towing than you will ever meet !! I quote " Boats/fish are like women,,,we ALL love them,,,but no one seems to understand them...(truth)....LOL...99.9 percent of the BS I've read on fishing//boat repair blogs//websites is SO WRONG !! take your boat to someone that KNOWS what they are doing....A big Sign out front Don't mean SH--t...aND no I DONT NEED MORE WORK..BUT I WILL HELP ANYONE ON THIS bLOG/WEBSITE WITH BOAT QUESTIONS and /or fishing Tips...Best fishing Tip:::::Go early and fish Late !!! Tight lines !!...K&T:cool:

Hook - 1-18-2014 at 10:17 PM

Since a beacon is defined as "an intentionally conspicuous device designed to attract attention to a specific location."

How about a name like:

Baja Beacon or Baja Boater's Beacon or simply Boater's Beacon or maybe El Faro-The Baja Boater's Board

and maybe a description like:

From kayaks to trawlers, sailboats to powerboats, here's the place to go for questions, answers, and anything nautical along the Pacific Ocean and in the Sea of Cortez.

Hey, this is a work in progress :lol:. Let's get some other suggestions out here for Doug.

willardguy - 1-18-2014 at 10:47 PM

ship happens

Kgryfon - 1-18-2014 at 11:26 PM

I vote yes!

Hook - 1-19-2014 at 06:29 AM

It appears that it's a done deal; the creation of the board, based on BajaNomad's comment above.

Really, all he appears to be looking for is a description. He may want to keep the name simple like Baja Boating.

BajaParrothead - 1-19-2014 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

This one?

It is written by a Baja Nomad and he was here for a while talking about it... I will see if I can find his post with ordering details... :light:

ZThomas exchanged details beginning in this thread on 8-4-2008: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=32857

Sadly, the web page is no longer online. The ISBN number is: 978-0-615-18846-1

The book is jam packed with information and photos!

[Edited on 1-19-2014 by David K]

A bit on the pricey side. The cheapest used copy thru Amazon is $200.

BajaNomad - 1-20-2014 at 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaParrothead

A bit on the pricey side...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anglers-Guide-to-Trailer-Boating-Baj...

bajaguy - 1-20-2014 at 08:01 AM

Baja Power and Sail - Information on the Sea of Cortez, Pacific Ocean. Boats, equipment and information for the power or sail boater - NOT for fishing topics

Quote:

[Edited on 1-20-2014 by bajaguy]

BajaParrothead - 1-20-2014 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaParrothead

A bit on the pricey side...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anglers-Guide-to-Trailer-Boating-Baj...

Thanks Doug, it'll be here by Friday!!

baja boating

captkw - 1-20-2014 at 10:09 AM

Jeeze,,for $200 bucks..Hell,, I can write a more informed book..with a lot more time in the water !! and the" Baja catch" is like philliss diller...Way out of date and nowhere does it anything to do with BIG,,Blue water Fish....Missed the boat KIRA & neil...

Pompano - 1-20-2014 at 11:15 AM

Good suggestion and might just be a well-used addition to this forum. It would be convenient to add yet another popular Baja topic to this already well-thought-out forum. I think we have many potential reader/posters for a boating/sailing/cruising board on BajaNomads. Doug is interested, so it looks good to go.

Here are just a few sources I know of from over the years spent gunkholing all over the SOC that I keep in my bookcase and on my computer:

http://www.latitude38.com/index.lasso San Diego magazine
http://www.baja-haha.com/ …The Rally
The Baja bash..bajapassagemaker.com
Cruisersforum.com
Sailmagazine.com
Sailbaja.com
Sailnet.com
Trailboating in Baja - Zack Thomas
The Log - Mexico Cruising 101
http://ac6v.com/nets.htm ..... listings of Baja Ham radio nets.
Mexico Boating Guide publication
"Mexico to Panama" from Yachtsman Chart Book.
"ChartGuide" Mexico West - 1982 (a collectors item nowadays)

and my old The Sea Guide to Baja....another oldie shown before.

Got a few more tucked in here and there, but just not ready to tackle that haystack. Some are still going, and some just fade out.

I would also suggest a place in San Diego called Map Centre. Can check these, too...Maptech, Sailing Directions. For a good stroll, walk around Shelter Island for ideas, sources, etc.

If one can condense a lot of this info towards a board on Nomads just for boaters....I would love it and be an avid reader/poster.

So, if another 'yes' vote counts, I toss mine in.

BajaNomad - 2-3-2014 at 09:02 PM

A boating forum has been established in the special interests forums.

Hook - 2-4-2014 at 08:55 AM

Thank you, Doug.

Now, let's make sure we use it enough to justify Doug's efforts, guys and gals!