BajaNomad

ATT Mexico plan vs Mexican sim card

kassonswildride - 1-25-2014 at 04:37 PM

I will be in Baja for about 3 months - traveling and working out of my rv and need to have phone and internet access. We will be staying in RV parks and most have wifi but it would be nice to have a back up and be able to use my iPhone apps. (I am unlocking my iPhone).

My question is which is better??

Hope someone out there can help!

john68 - 1-25-2014 at 07:23 PM

My understanding is that the ATT Viva Mexico plan does not let you use your domestic data package and that data use in Mexico is very expensive.

grace59 - 1-25-2014 at 10:56 PM

Yes, that is correct. The Viva Mexico plan is good only for making phone calls into or out of Mexico at a more reasonable rate. The use of data in Mexico with ATT is quite expensive. You can, however, if you have wifi use your iphone apps that way.

kassonswildride - 1-26-2014 at 07:12 AM

You can purchase an international data plan from att as well but it sounds as if it would be cheaper to go with a Mexican SIM card. Thanks

dasubergeek - 1-26-2014 at 04:16 PM

Foreign data is $25 for 200 MB the last I checked. 250 pesos ($18.62) gets you 1.5 GB of the highest-speed data on Telcel. Here are the packages and the codes you text to 5050 to get them: http://www.telcel.com/portal/personas/amigo/detalles/paquete...

You may need to go into a Telcel store to get the SIM, though, since iPhones take a smaller SIM than normal. They may have to clear it with Mexico City so you may not get it the same day.

kassonswildride - 1-28-2014 at 06:46 AM

I have a SIM card cutter so I can cut it to fit.
Can I buy a Mexican SIM card for my iphone that gives me calling AND data features?

dasubergeek - 1-28-2014 at 07:31 AM

Yes. Buy an Amigo card and you'll be able to sign up for data using the text codes above. If you're confident in your ability to cut the SIM, it's cheaper and faster (no calling Mexico City) to just buy the 301-peso Nokia candy bar phone that comes with 300 pesos of credit.