BajaNomad

Ojo de Liebre lagoon Census for January

shari - 2-3-2014 at 04:51 PM

Here are the numbers for January this season at Laguna Ojo de Liebre near Guerrero Negro. Usually the peak is reached in mid February so it will be interesting to see if we are reaching the peak early or will have big numbers this season.

LOL GRAY WHALE CENSUS 2014

Adult Calves Total

JAN 08 318 119 437
JAN 14 488 279 727
JAN 20 600 426 1025
JAN 28 873 591 1464

It has been a fantastic season so far...like whale soup out there. Our trip last week was fascinating as I saw behavior I had never seen before plus some nice spy hops and frisky calves.

Lots of whales were grouped very very close together...they are usually spread out and not tight together. We also had 3 different cow/calf pairs approach the panga for a little pat.

After a good while with a nice mom & calf, a single adult came over and chased them away like it was jealous and wanted our boat to herself. There was a dead calf discovered an hour before which made me wonder if maybe it was hers as she was acting so strange...hunching her back up aggressively, lifting her tail high in the air and tail swishing but she was friendly with us in the boat once she got rid of the other whales!!! very strange.

On tomorrows trip I will be watching for her again and also looking for that abandoned calf.

On our way back to town, we had to wait for these 2 big salt carriers to finish chit chatting as they were blocking the road. There are some new salt ponds in the area where you pass the gate now so watch for machinery on the roads!

We are setting up our permanent Whale Magic camp in Palapa #1 this weekend so stop in and say hi if you are at the lagoon.
I have room on our next trip out on Tuesday Feb.11 if anyone wants to join us.

Oggie - 2-3-2014 at 05:09 PM

See you tomorrow!! Can't wait!!