BajaNomad

Porpoise Make Great Boating Partners - Photos

Pompano - 2-6-2014 at 02:10 PM

I've been a boater all my life and one of the things I always look forward to is meeting some fellow water lovers....like porpoise & dolphins. Here's a few favorite photos of them as seen from my boats in the Sea Of Cortez. Hope you enjoy them half as much as I enjoyed taking them.

. “Man has always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much...the wheel, New York, wars and so on...while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man...for precisely the same reason.”

Porpoise have a purpose!....and it is to: ‘To make humans…and dogs…. gasp with wonder and awe.’

“The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.” - Jacques Yves Cousteau

Dolphin love to play catch-up in your boat wake...and we love them for it.

Dalls porpoise near San Marcos Island…the largest of the porpoise family.

That's enough for now, but I have a solid feeling there will be more!

Cypress - 2-6-2014 at 02:15 PM

Thanks. I like 'em to.:D

BajaParrothead - 2-6-2014 at 07:50 PM

Great stuff Roger, keep 'em coming.

Whale-ista - 2-6-2014 at 08:23 PM

applause! great show!!

While sailing off San Diego/TJ and around the Coronado islands have had several surf the wake when we've had good wind. On a small boat there's not much freeboard, so I could lie on the forward deck, peer over the scuppers and look them in the eye. They always seem to be enjoying themselves.

Magical...

Also have had more dolphins approaching us in the pangas in San Ignacio. Perhaps they are wondering what all the whale attention is about and want in on the action.

And thanks for including orcas- they are dolphins after all, not whales, despite that whole ''killer" image.

[Edited on 2-7-2014 by Whale-ista]

What kind of a man are you? Don't you even like dolphins?

Skipjack Joe - 2-7-2014 at 12:02 AM

basautter - 2-7-2014 at 06:47 AM

Awsome!

Cliffy - 2-8-2014 at 01:14 AM

Why am I thinking "tuna below!"

landyacht318 - 2-8-2014 at 02:54 AM

I always enjoy when I am out surfing and a group of Dolphin pass further out and seem to be waiting.

Then a set of waves come in, and they show us how it is done.

One of my best visual memories is of a dolphin riding high in the lip, upside down, of a breaking wave in Mozambique. Any higher and it would have gone over the falls with the lip. Its pectoral fins were exposed on boths sides of the lip.

An incredible display of waveriding skill, and utmost joy in the pure pleasure of waveriding.

Catching a free ride from a boat, well, it is nothing like what they can do with a wave spawned by the wind.