BajaNomad

Overall boat license for fishing

Hook - 2-7-2014 at 03:16 PM

The guy who sells licenses at the marina in San Carlos told me that he now has a fishing license that covers anyone who fishes on my boat. It is basically a boat license for a year at the same cost as an annual personal license; 583 pesos. Is this new? I am not a charter operation, just a privateer.

That's a good deal, if you ask me.

I probably have 15-20 seasonal friends who come down and fish with me and they could never justify a license. So they are covered now. I'm just going to tack on 50 pesos to their fuel bill at the end of the day, until the license is paid for.

Apparently, I still need to keep my own fishing license current. As the skipper, it apparently doesnt cover me. That's no problem as I always keep mine current...........well, at least I do when they havent run out of licenses like they did for a year in 2012-13. :lol:

BajaBlanca - 2-7-2014 at 06:08 PM

Muy interesante.

woody with a view - 2-7-2014 at 10:14 PM

Hook, what are you saying? that this license covers YOU as the boat skipper/owner and that your passengers don't need a license?

you buddies could never justify a placa?

something seems fishy.......

Quote:
Apparently, I still need to keep my own fishing license current. As the skipper, it apparently doesnt cover me. That's no problem as I always keep mine current....

[Edited on 2-8-2014 by woody with a view]

Say Whaaat ???

captkw - 2-7-2014 at 11:09 PM

Its early for a april fools joke.....What you talking bout (Mr "T" ) LOL..Do t Tell Us...I'm all ears on this one !!!

Santiago - 2-8-2014 at 06:42 AM

Wow, this makes entirely too much sense for it to be true.

Hook - 2-8-2014 at 07:19 AM

First off, remember it's Mexico.

Secondly, I have some, well, "frugal" friends.

As explained to me, as skipper, I still need my own personal fishing license. The one with my name on it. I have that.

This second one I bought yesterday has my boat name on it and the word "invitado" (guest) after it in the line labeled "titular". It states the "periodo" as one year. It has my "domicilio" in San Carlos on it. It shows I paid a "pago de derechos" of 553 pesos (another 30 to the agent). It shows the "vigencia del" and "al" as Feb 8, 2014 to Feb 8, 2015. And for "zona de pesca", it says "litorales y embalzes" or coasts and reservoirs.

I guess I need to verify that it can apply to more than one person. Maybe not. But it can cover my wife when I go out and if I leave it on the boat, I wont have to worry about her being unlicensed if we are doing a simple day cruise or sunset cruise with fishing gear aboard.

I'll see the guy again in the next few days. We'll see what he says about mulitple persons.

Bob and Susan - 2-8-2014 at 08:24 AM

is there a internet link for this info???

I like it but remember in the past the "real" rule...
you needed a TIP for the boat to get a license for the boat
which was required
then each person needed a license

we used to get the TIP in Santa Rosalia at the Aduana office
they did have to take a look at the boat

the boat license as I understand it was for commercial boats not tourists

this would be a great change if its everywhere

Hook - 2-8-2014 at 08:37 AM

No, I have no internet link.

Probably wouldn't matter anyway. Every govt office in Santa Rosalia seems to have their own, unique way of licensing things. :biggrin:

mulegemichael - 2-8-2014 at 09:21 AM

this would be a very very cool thing if it's actually happening...maybe it's just for the mainland??...please keep everyone in the loop on this!!

jimgrms - 2-8-2014 at 09:30 AM

a short term license is around 25 $ i wonder what the penalties are for fishing with out a license ?

Hook - 2-8-2014 at 09:34 AM

I couldnt tell you. I havent heard of any enforcement of licenses in my area in about four years. I get one just the same.

jimgrim

captkw - 2-8-2014 at 09:40 AM

They have/will/can, take the boat and all related gear !!

jimgrms - 2-8-2014 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

That is what i heard, so i wonder why a boat owner would let a un licensed friend fish from his boat,, also why would a friend do that , make no sense to me .

[Edited on 2-8-2014 by jimgrms]

Bob and Susan - 2-8-2014 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

That is what i heard, so i wonder why a boat owner would let a un licensed friend fish from his boat,, also why would a friend do that , make no sense to me .

I have NEVER seen this EVER
probably just another myth spread by old americans
I think just a fine$$$

Islandbuilder - 2-9-2014 at 04:49 PM

I asked a La Paz vessel agent this question, about buying a seasonal whole-boat license. They said that it isn't an option. Each angler needs a license.
Which is a bit better than I had thought, which was that if the boat had even one rod that everyone aboard needed a license.

ncampion - 2-9-2014 at 04:57 PM

Everyone aboard is considered to be an angler.

Pompano - 2-9-2014 at 05:00 PM

That's what I was told this last season when buying my yearly license....that if there was 'any' fishing gear on board...then 'anyone and all' aboard needed a fishing license. Who knows?...but why take the chance??

Like all laws in Baja...very fluid....sometimes it changes from place to place and person to person. This surprises no one.

JAG - 2-9-2014 at 05:04 PM

The numbers of poles makes no difference. But if one pole is in the process of fishing all on board must be licensed.

Hook - 2-9-2014 at 05:05 PM

A La Paz vessel agent? What is that? Is he the one who sells licenses in LP?

Islandbuilder - 2-9-2014 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
A La Paz vessel agent? What is that? Is he the one who sells licenses in LP?

In this particular case, someone who handles permits for large yachts and commercial charters. They facilitate getting island parks permits, help with itineraries and provisioning, and help find moorage. They serve as facilitators in matters of importation and arranging repairs.

I don't think that they sell licenses directly, but they can get them.

They're used to working with cruise ships and mega yachts, not typical pleasure boaters.

Hook - 2-14-2014 at 09:56 AM

Finally tracked down the guy who sold me this boat license. He says it is good for one guest only.

So, the advantage to this is that it's basically a transferable license. There's value in that for me.

But it's not a blanket license for all on the boat.