BajaNomad

Nomads please post your Mexican health insurance info here

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2014 at 10:29 AM

I want to start a thread to post information on health insurance coverage in Mexico. Pescador had some information that was quite informative, but unfortunately it's not in a specific topic or thread. Now that we have the health and wellness topic, let's try and get experiences of insurances, Medicare, Blue Cross/Blue Shield and independent private insurances here. Let's try and make a concentrated effort to continue on the same thread so we can refer Newbies or other Nomads to a specific thread for information that they are looking for.

I did remember a Nomad saying they got reimbursed by Medicare, but like I believe Bajaguy posted, there are specific guidelines for Medicare to be covered in Mexico and I would like to know more about that person's experience to see if they were covered outside of the box.

[Edited on 2-9-2014 by EnsenadaDr]

jimgrms - 2-9-2014 at 10:57 AM

VA. medicare and tricare secondary,

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2014 at 02:01 PM

What I mean is, insurance that can be used in Mexico. VA and Tricare that I know of isn't valid in Mexico, but jim, maybe you know better. Medicare in only very few cases.

jimgrms - 2-9-2014 at 02:51 PM

NO i don't know , Hopefully i won't need it but if i go south i will get some air ambulance coverage of some kind .

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2014 at 02:53 PM

good idea. Hopefully Pescador will post details about his insurance here so we can refer to it if needed.

Reeljob - 2-9-2014 at 06:11 PM

You gotta be loco to do this!

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2014 at 06:14 PM

I'm sorry I don't mean your personal insurance coverage numbers, I am talking about the different plans that Nomads might have that will WORK in an emergency and won't bankrupt them if admitted to the hospital, because after you are admitted it will be hard to leave if you don't pay your bill.

MMc - 2-9-2014 at 06:31 PM

OK you start!

Medicare Coverage Outside the United States

bajaguy - 2-9-2014 at 06:58 PM

Medicare Coverage Outside the United States:

"In most situations, Medicare won’t pay for health care or supplies you get outside the United States........."

What if I have a Medigap (Medicare SupplementInsurance) policy?:

Medigap Plans C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M and N pay 80% of the billed charges forcertain medically-necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250deductible for the year.

These Medigap policies cover foreign travel emergency careif it begins during the first 60 days of your trip, and if Medicare doesn’t otherwisecover the care. Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000.

http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037.pdf

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2014 at 10:53 PM

I have Seguro Popular. That will carry me through an emergency while in Mexico. But many Nomads have other insurances such as Diver's insurance, etc.
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
OK you start!

SFandH - 2-10-2014 at 07:09 AM

Here is an organization that is advocating Medicare coverage for qualified Americans living outside the US.

http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037.pdf

An argument is made that Medicare should be like Social Security, which does provide benefits for expats.

To further advance the argument, it's pointed out that veterans living outside the US do have coverage.

Unlike most seniors, retired military veterans and their families living abroad do have access to covered care under the Tricare Overseas Program-Tricare For Life (TOP TFL).

Also:

Americans for Medicare in Mexico, A.C. (AMMAC) is a legally constituted Mexican non-profit organization dedicated to bringing Medicare coverage to eligible seniors living in Mexico. The aim of the organizations is to promote and attain U.S. Congressional authorization for a Demonstration Project for Medicare in Mexico.

http://www.aaro.org/medicare/144-aaro-endorses-proposal-for-...

Bajajorge - 2-11-2014 at 10:39 AM

I believe Medicare does not cover in Mexico, but Tricare for Life does in some cases. Best to check with your carrier rather than getting rumor and maybe some questionable info elsewhere. It all depends on what your company says/does/covers.