BajaNomad

Bringing Vehicles when moving

BOREDnIN - 12-3-2004 at 09:17 PM

OK. I am going to drive everybody crazy with questions I haven't been able to get answered elsewhere. I know if hubby and I move down there we could each bring a car. What about our 2 on-road motorcycles also. for a total of 4 vehicles? How do they treat motorcycles?
Thanks for all the help.

bajalou - 12-4-2004 at 08:41 AM

If you're coming to Baja Calif, Baja Calif Sur or western Sonora, - the Frontera - they do not require vehicle permits.

:biggrin:

I'm assuming there will be a trailer ?

jrbaja - 12-4-2004 at 09:13 AM

As long as everything is currently registered in your names, including the trailer you will have no problem.
And with multiple vehicles, you may want to insure your drivers licenses rather than individual vehicles.

Trailer?

BOREDnIN - 12-4-2004 at 08:30 PM

Actually we would probably just have them loaded up in the moving van...or I guess we could put them on a trailer on the back of moving van. We don't own a trailer for them. When we want to ride them, we just ride them to where we want to go. We never trailer them.

And yes, we are talking about Baja. In the Rosarito area. If there are no permits required, that would be great!

So are you just going to "ride them"

jrbaja - 12-4-2004 at 09:34 PM

through that border?

The moving van will be fine as long as they are registered in your names.
I have lived in Rosarito for 10 years and do not know one person who rides bikes who has not been hit or hit something else at best!! And I know a lot of bikers!!
And if you are not insured, as you are picking pieces of yourself off the pavement, you will be taken to jail until you can prove financial responsibility. Probably before the hospital!
Just something to consider prior to riding without insurance, (as in saving money by not buying it for the bikes on the way through) and then riding when they are unloaded and uninsured.:light:

BOREDnIN - 12-5-2004 at 07:31 PM

Oh no...we weren't going to bring them in uninsured at all. We would get them insured just like the cars before they we actually rode them. Believe me, I know all the intrinsic dangers of riding a motorcycle, but I do it anyway! :bounce:

The "intrinsic dangers"

jrbaja - 12-5-2004 at 07:45 PM

are somewhat different in Mexico.
As I am sure you are about to find out.
Cuidado gentes nuevos!! Ever hit a chicken going 30 on a bike?:O Not so bad as long as there's no oncoming traffic:no:
Bad stories!!

Dave - 12-5-2004 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Ever hit a chicken going 30 on a bike?:O

How do they shift gears?

#1 - 12-5-2004 at 09:37 PM

Quote:

How do they shift gears?

They feather the clutch:biggrin:

They've also been known to

jrbaja - 12-5-2004 at 09:42 PM