BajaNomad

WEB SITE: El Rosario & Sidetrips 11/04

David K - 12-4-2004 at 01:19 AM

Antonio ('BajaCactus') and I travel to his family's hometown. Thanksgiving week, 2004: El Rosario, La Bocana, Cuesta la Vibora cactus garden, old San Carlos road, El Camino Real found, & pitayas!

EL ROSARIO & SIDETRIPS 11/04

[Edited on 12-4-2004 by David K]

David K - 12-4-2004 at 09:33 AM

I did doctor up some of the photos, thanks to you who sent in some of them back to me. As always, I will continue to tinker with the site on my WebTV page buider until the time it is moved to vivabaja.com

HotSchott - 12-4-2004 at 10:39 AM

Cool Trip Dude!

$$

David K - 12-4-2004 at 12:26 PM

Thanks Steve...

I just aded two more photos and doctored a couple others for better viewing! 11:25 am on a rainy cold Saturday...

I also discovered how to make a ? on WebTV, so I fixed Antonio's last name!

Mexitron - 12-4-2004 at 01:46 PM

Great!!! Meant to ask you if you knew of a way to drive to the top of the San Carlos Mesa--the one time I tried there was a very locked gate, I think because of torquoise mines. Wonder if there's another way off the Punta San Carlos road.

Great shots and interesting stuff David!

jrbaja - 12-4-2004 at 02:02 PM

Tron, according to the guys at San Carlos fish camp, there is a way to get most of the way up there but it involves some hiking and being prepared for an overnight trip to do some exploring of the "amenities" to be found there.:?:

David K - 12-4-2004 at 03:17 PM

Thank you JR...

Mexitron, you can get to the mesa (or close) from the back side. Neal Johns has a nice write up on that trip in the Desert Explorers web site, I think.

The route starts at El Progreso, near Mision San Fernando, and goes south past or near the San Fernando copper mine (of 1918). Punta San Carlos is where the ore from that mine was shipped... and you will use some of that ancient wagon road... see Baja Almanac.

I was at the San Fernando mine in July, 2000 with LdB... photos: http://davidksbaja.com/davidlorenzo/dlpage4.html

Mexitron - 12-4-2004 at 03:44 PM

Thanks DK and jr--always wanted to get on top of the San Carlos Mesa to explore and also to check out the canyon that cuts through it to the ocean......oh boy, another trip!

El Rosario

MexicoTed - 12-5-2004 at 12:56 AM

David, good job on the web page. Check the link to Baja Cactus at the end, it's incorrect. My father-in-law and I are staying there tuesday.
Ted

PS - Where were you friday (Discover Baja)?

David K - 12-5-2004 at 09:47 AM

Thanks Ted.... I will check the link. His web page is under construction, so there's not much there. >>> Yep, I typo'd the link, it was missing a c. All is well now. I even added more info. on the mission. <<<

I totally spaced it on the party... I did want to be there!

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by David K]

Mexitron

jrbaja - 12-5-2004 at 10:06 AM

I also have some interest in that area. I have discussed it with the locals and would be interested in a trip up there depending on when you want to go and if you want company.