BajaNomad

soliciting advice...

misternaturalist - 12-4-2004 at 02:27 PM

I am contemplating an extended road-trip to Baja later this winter. Although I've travelled in Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua, I've always gone as a mochilero. I haven't until now considered driving my truck down South. I am thinking of taking my sea kayak and spending a couple of months exploring...
Any seasoned viajeros have any advice for a novice? Is it resonable to plan on living gratis out of the back of my truck on the beaches or is this a naively romantic notion?
I'd appreciate any input.

El Jefe - 12-4-2004 at 03:50 PM

There are many, many, many places where you can stay on a beach gratis or for a very low fee $2 - $5 dollars per night. Organized campgrounds are a bit more depending on what is offered. Just like anywhere else, you have to keep an eye on your stuff. There are great locations to explore on both coasts. For example, there are a whole slew of folks that camp for free on playa los cerritos just south of Pescadero on the Pacific side.

Some of the more popular areas are becoming more organized with camping fees and more limited access for beach camping. But you can still find plenty of places to ba a "naturalist."

I think having your own truck to travel and explore in is the best way to see Baja. The sea kayak makes it that much better. Go far south to the warm water and Have Fun!