BajaNomad

getting around w/o rental car

expat2B - 12-6-2004 at 09:10 AM

Planning a return trip to La Paz in January, unfortunately, only for 3-4 days. The Aguila buses, appear to provide city-to-city services, which would be fine for a day trip to Todos Santos, for example. Can anyone recommend a local bus or shuttle service for in-town or near-town jaunts such as the Pichilingue peninsula, or to/fro the airport? TIA. Estuarte'

Buses in the La Paz Area

richard nauman - 12-6-2004 at 10:11 AM

La Paz has a great bus system. Speaking a small amount of Spanish helps figure things out. My info is a couple of years old so things could have changed some. There is a bus that runs from in front of the bus station on the Malecon to the ferry terminal. I think it runs about every hour and costs approximately 5 pesos. They stop at all the beaches but you might have to ask for a particluar stop. If you are staying in a hotel there used to be a free van to Playa Tecelote. You just had to ask at the front desk. The van made a trip in the morning and then came back in the afternoon. It stops at a few hotels on the way. For a good adventure you can take the little yellow colectiva buses and vans just about anywhere in the city. It helps to have a map and know some Spanish but it?s cheap and buses are frequent.
RN

[Edited on 12-6-2004 by richard nauman]

thanks for the tips

expat2B - 12-6-2004 at 03:03 PM

Richard, thanks for sharing your La Paz transit experience - we'll definitely give it a go including the collectiva buses you mentioned. Armed with a .pdf street map I found online, and passable but rusty high-school Spanish, I'm sure we'll get around fine. Hasta luego.

Online street maps of La Paz

expat2B - 12-7-2004 at 05:06 PM

While I'm at it, I thought I'd post two links for online street maps of La Paz on the off-chance other BCS newcomers might find them useful:

http://www.lapaz-tourism.com/maps/maps_pdfs/map_city.pdf

http://www.bajainsider.com/maps/inside-la_paz_map.htm

Neither will garner cartographic awards, although they may be a good starting point for browsing and trip planning.