BajaNomad

"Sitting on the Dock of the Bay"

Pompano - 3-19-2014 at 10:54 AM

(title change because it's a great song and it fits...)

I've had a couple sloops in Baja...not exactly a yacht, but hey, great for those bay siestas...zzzzz

...and always wanted to move up to a 2-masted schooner. Then I saw her in San Diego Bay. Nice lines...just want I want.

Finally got her! I was lucky to find her 'on the hard' and at a good price. Co-pilot calls first to check, then we're off to a golf course water trap. There's nothing like sailing!

[Edited on 3-25-2014 by Pompano]

BeemerDan - 3-19-2014 at 12:41 PM

Is that a model of "America" of America's cup fame?

Pompano - 3-19-2014 at 12:51 PM

Good eye, BeemerDan,

Model of the 139 foot 'America' that won the historic, Royal Yacht Squadron’s “100 Guinea Cup” race around the Isle of Wight in 1851. The trophy was donated to the New York Yacht Club to be held as a challenge trophy, which came to be known as the America’s Cup.

Co-pilot has a call in for Dennis Conner to come join us at the pond to captain our 2-masted beaut, but no return calls as yet.... :rolleyes:

Leo - 3-19-2014 at 07:40 PM

Try some kiwi captain or crew, they might get you going even faster.

Islandbuilder - 3-19-2014 at 07:50 PM

Pompano, your model and the (replica) schooner in the photo are of the same boat, the American's Cup victor, America.

And, I believe, it (the larger one) is owned by Conner and used for day sails in conjunction with the San Diego Maritime Museum

In other news, I hope to be Baja bound in the fall of 2014 with our 90 year old (built in 1924) power boat for a winters season in the SOC.

Our main engine is a 1923 Atlas Imperial, the oldest running Atlas known to exist.

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by Islandbuilder]

[Edited on 3-20-2014 by Islandbuilder]

fishbuck - 3-19-2014 at 07:54 PM

I was a deckhand on the schooner Spike Africa during the schooner race of the America's Cup held in San Diego. We did sailing charters for the America's Cup and then had fun at the schooner race which was in the bay. Worked as a deck hand for a few summers when I was on layoff from Boeing. Santa Barbara to San Diego and all points in between. What fun!
Was 1st Mate on Argus out of Newport for a summer too. A Baltic trader donated to the Boy Scouts. A Square Rigger.
Also have sailed on the Californian a few times as a passenger and as a Docent (volunteer crew).
Love a big wooden schooner when there is a lot of wind. Nothing else compares.
Last I checked Spike Africa is here in Washington at Friday Harbor. Would love to sail on it again!

Islandbuilder - 3-19-2014 at 08:03 PM

fishbuck, The Spike is tied up right behind me!

We will be running day trips and overnights in the islands this summer on Westward, and running our other old classic, Catalyst, in SE Alaska for her usual summer charter season.

If you're getting up this way, let me know!

fishbuck - 3-19-2014 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder

We will be running day trips and overnights in the islands this summer on Westward, and running our other old classic, Catalyst, in SE Alaska for her usual summer charter season.

I'll make a special trip!:cool:

Islandbuilder - 3-19-2014 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:

I'll make a special trip!:cool:

It would be great to meet you! I'm leaving for Alaska on April 27th, but will be back for 4 weeks from mid-June through mid-July to get the other boat started on its summer program before handing it off to another captain and returning to Alaska.

Busy busy!

DavidT - 3-19-2014 at 08:35 PM

Sailing San Diego bay one evening we crossed paths with Dauntless, a 1930's staysail schooner.
One of the women on board asked what makes it a schooner, the owner of the boat told her a schooner has a big stick in the rear.
Immediately her boyfriend turned to her and said "See Honey, you're a schooner."

DENNIS - 3-19-2014 at 11:45 PM

Quote:
I was a deckhand on the schooner Spike Africa

When Bob Sloan owned her? That was a while back. I knew him in Newport Bch.
I saw on the San Diego news that there's a bar/restaurant in Old Town called Spike Africa.

I had never heard the story behind the name until I just looked it up.
Here'tis:

http://www.spikeafricas.com/the-story/spike-africa-the-story...

fishbuck - 3-20-2014 at 02:28 AM

I didn't know Bob Sloan. I sailed with his wife, Monika. But of course, I know the story.

Capkcon - 3-20-2014 at 07:23 AM

Spikes daughter, Dana, was A.B. on the R/V Thomas G. Thompson awhile back at UW. Probably still there.

ElCap - 3-20-2014 at 04:27 PM

And Spike's son Kit lives up that way in Port Townsend, and is also an accomplished sailor and shipwright.

Pompano - 3-22-2014 at 07:48 AM

Good information on Spike Africa...I didn't know all those details. We've eaten at that restaurant in downtown San Diego, but never knew the history. Great stuff about "The President of the Pacific."

I've sailed/cruised in Baja on the tri Meshack 38, cat Bright Wing 52, and a F-27 Super Fox with a skipper who had won the Two Man around Catalina Race in that trailerable trimaran made by his company, Corsair Marine.. builder John Walton & designer Ian Farrier. Sadly, John died in 2005 in an ultra-light airplane accident near his home in Wyoming.

[Edited on 3-26-2014 by Pompano]

superfox.jpg - 5kB

Islandbuilder - 3-22-2014 at 11:54 PM

Kit works at Haven Marine in Port Townsend.

Old boat world is pretty small, isn't it?

fishbuck - 3-23-2014 at 04:59 PM

Islandbuilder

Can you fill me in on how Spike Africa made it's way to Friday Harbor?
I'm guessing that Monika Sloan sold the boat after she remarried. She married a rich doctor from Newport that was a partner with her in the boat for a while.
Then I heard it went to San Diego and worked for a bit. Not sure after that.
Was curious and found it online at Friday Harbor about a year or 2 ago.
Do you do day sailing with it now?

Spike Africa - 'The President of the Pacific'

Pompano - 3-24-2014 at 09:22 AM

Found some photos & info of the man and boat for you...

Length on deck: 62 feet
Length sparred: 79 feet
Width of Beam: 15.5 feet
Draft: 8.5 feet
Engine: 150 HP Detroit Diesel 6-71
Hull Speed: 11 knots
Gross tonnage: 43 tons
Member Vessel: Pacific Northwest Schooner Association

Spike was built in 1977 in Costa Mesa, CA. Her designer, builder and original owner, Bob Sloan, was a prominent skipper, a shipwright and a leading figure in the working boat industry of the Pacific Ocean. Bob designed her after the iconic freighting schooners of two hundred years ago that are
her forbearers and named her for his friend and mentor, Spike Africa, the self-proclaimed “President of the Pacific Ocean”.

She is the last coasting schooner with a proud history of carrying America’s goods across the world’s oceans. Her every detail combines beauty and grace with sturdy seaworthiness.
She starred in the 1990 film "Joe vs. the Volcano", and has appeared in the television shows "Baywatch" and "Hotel", and numerous national advertising campaigns.

'Spike Africa' has served as support boat for some of the most important 1970’s and 80’s yacht races, in addition to winning honors in her own racing career. It appears she has been an active charter schooner in Friday Harbor in the San Juans since 2009. It must be a real pleasure to own and sail such a classic and timeless vessel.

fishbuck - 3-24-2014 at 07:22 PM

As you can see from the photos the boat can carry alot of sail. It can be sailed fairly easily by 2 crew, captain and a deck hand. 3 is better.
Part of the lore is that Bob Sloan could sail the boat single handed. And that included raising the main and fore gaffsails.
He must have been a very strong man. Wooden ships and iron men as they say...

Trivia question. Does anyone know what the orange colored sail between the masts is called?

[Edited on 3-25-2014 by fishbuck]

Pompano - 3-24-2014 at 07:53 PM

Quote:

Trivia question. Does anyone know what the orange colored sail between the masts is called?

I'll hazard a guess....main top-gallant staysail?

Laundry?

[Edited on 3-25-2014 by Pompano]

DENNIS - 3-24-2014 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Part of the lore is that Bob Sloan could sail the boat single handed. And that included raising the main and fore gaffsails.

Sloan/Africa lore:

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-06-20/local/me-6302_1_spike...

fishbuck - 3-24-2014 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Sloan/Africa lore:

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-06-20/local/me-6302_1_spike...

"Sloan has gone back to nursing at a Newport Beach pain clinic."

The rich doctor connection.

DENNIS - 3-25-2014 at 12:35 AM

Quote:

Yes indeed. I was a bartender in those Newport pain clinics for fifteen years.

fishbuck - 3-25-2014 at 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Yes indeed. I was a bartender in those Newport pain clinics for fifteen years.

And I was patient!

David K - 3-25-2014 at 01:27 PM

Nice seeing you posting fishbuck... fyi, Islandbuilder is one super great guy, and I am sure if you make the drive over you won't regret it.

fishbuck - 3-25-2014 at 09:27 PM

Thanks David.
Pompano really got to me with his photos of the "America" replica sailing San Diego bay. I wish I could afford his model too.
Sailed through that same spot many a time.
I've been incredibly busy up here in Washington. But of course my heart is still in Newport Beach Ca. and my humble little fishcamp in San Quintin.
I live a Baja life in my head by reading about everyones adventures and hope to add 1 of my own this summer if I can.
And I've got to get over to Friday Harbor and maybe a little sailing to soothe the soul. It's only 2 ferry rides and 2 islands away.
And quite possibly they have a "Pain clinic" I can check into for a few hours. And I'll reminece about my days as a Tail Ship Sailor with liberal doses of "pain killer"...
"Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end..."

Schooner or later I'll get my ship together!:cool:

Majorcynik - 3-26-2014 at 06:52 AM

Maybe a "fisherman"???

fishbuck - 3-26-2014 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Majorcynik
Maybe a "fisherman"???

Ding ding ding... we have a winner folks!:yes:

Islandbuilder - 3-27-2014 at 05:54 AM

Sorry Fishbuck, I've been off-grid for a few days while in the ship canal getting some electronics to march in formation, didn't see your question.

First of all, I don't own Spike. She belongs to a fellow who lives in Friday Harbor, who also owns a couple of restaurants as well (he told me he need the income from them to keep the Spike going). Gary acquired the boat in Hawaii, where she was working in day charter. She was played out and had/has a long list of deferred maintenance issues. As I recall she crossed the Pacific east bound as deck cargo.

Since buying her Gary has had her re-rigged, the hull rebuilt and is finishing rebuilding her decks now. He has returned many years to her and has, I"m sure, spent a good deal of money in the process.

She is an inspected vessel, and does, as Pompano shared, day sails and custom charters out of Friday Harbor. She is joined by the wonderful classic Alden Schooner, Dirigo II, who also does day charters, and our 1924 Ted Geary designed powerboat, Westward which we hope to begin a combination of day trips and overnight charters in June.

In late April I leave for Alaska in our other boat, Catalyst, built in 1932 for the University of Washington, for our Alaska charter season.

Both Catalyst and Westward still have their original engines. Westward has a 1923 Atlas Imperial (we think it's the oldest one in the world), and Catalyst a 1932 Washington Estep. Catalysts' engine weighs 20,000 pounds and is rated at 110 HP. We cruise at 7.75 knots at 410 RPM and burn less than 4 GPH.

fishbuck - 3-27-2014 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Sorry Fishbuck, I've been off-grid for a few days while in the ship canal getting some electronics to march in formation, didn't see your question.

First of all, I don't own Spike. She belongs to a fellow who lives in Friday Harbor, who also owns a couple of restaurants as well (he told me he need the income from them to keep the Spike going). Gary acquired the boat in Hawaii, where she was working in day charter. She was played out and had/has a long list of deferred maintenance issues. As I recall she crossed the Pacific east bound as deck cargo.

Since buying her Gary has had her re-rigged, the hull rebuilt and is finishing rebuilding her decks now. He has returned many years to her and has, I"m sure, spent a good deal of money in the process.

She is an inspected vessel, and does, as Pompano shared, day sails and custom charters out of Friday Harbor. She is joined by the wonderful classic Alden Schooner, Dirigo II, who also does day charters, and our 1924 Ted Geary designed powerboat, Westward which we hope to begin a combination of day trips and overnight charters in June.

In late April I leave for Alaska in our other boat, Catalyst, built in 1932 for the University of Washington, for our Alaska charter season.

Both Catalyst and Westward still have their original engines. Westward has a 1923 Atlas Imperial (we think it's the oldest one in the world), and Catalyst a 1932 Washington Estep. Catalysts' engine weighs 20,000 pounds and is rated at 110 HP. We cruise at 7.75 knots at 410 RPM and burn less than 4 GPH.

Thank you for the update. I can attest to the deferred maintenance part a little. I'm sure it got worse over time.
But glad that the boat is in good hands now and getting some TLC.
The saga continues...

Pompano - 3-28-2014 at 10:26 AM

Great discussion on those fine classic boats, fellows. I know you'll agree that Nothing beats messing about in boats!

Quote:

Islandbuilder, your charterboats, 'Westward' & 'Catalyst' are truly classics to cruise the inland passage from the San Juans to Alaska. What a great trip that would be...reminds me of FDR & Great Gatsby times. I've been on Alaskan cruises with Co-pilot and we've taken the grandkids on the Norwegian Jewel, but your vessels would be much more adventurous, personal, and fun...especially on that beautiful route. Can't beat the 'feel' and romance of classic boats. Later this summer after other obligations, we may sign up. I took the liberty of finding some photos of each and hope you don't mind me posting them here.

The 'Westward'

The 'Catalyst'

"Bon Voyage, amigos."

p.s. We were getting close to you on this trip a couple summers ago. Went RVing from Coyote Bay, Baja to Alaska...by way of the Olympic Peninsula. Fun times we had while '..sitting on the docks of some bays..'

Exploring the salmon possibilities...

Taking a more interesting bike ride..

Another great place to bike...and eat. Seattle waterfronts.

Small boat sailing in Coyote Bay...for a few years we had our own 'regattas'. Mostly a bunch of Hobie and Prindle 16' cats. Those were the days of fun in the sun!

I once asked a cat dealer in San Diego what the difference was between a Hobie and a Prindle? He said, "A Prindle is just a Hobie built better."

Some days the wind died, but our enthusiasm was still high....so, we towed the boats out into mid-bay to find the wind! Hey, anyway is a good way to have fun in Baja.

I never see any regattas these days and wonder why?? Maybe be too much tv and internet?

[Edited on 3-28-2014 by Pompano]

Islandbuilder - 3-29-2014 at 08:46 AM

Thanks for your kind words concerning our boats Pompano!

Not to hijack this too much, but a bit of history.

Westward was the very first boat that was purpose built to run adventure charters in Alaska. Her first charter, in 1924, was with George Eastman (Eastman Kodak) who took her to the Pribilof Islands to photograph birds.
Westward circled the globe in the 1970's, and after a major refit she circumnavigated the Pacific Basin in 2006/07. On that trip her longest crossing was 4000 miles from Cabo to French Polynesia, she motorsailed to stretch her 3000 mile range.

Catalyst was built in 1932 as the University of Washington's first oceanographic research vessel. Her first season took her to the Aleutians. At that time the oceanography department didn't exist. All the research being done concerned the chemical composition of sea water in various locations and depths and was conducted by the chemistry department. Hence her name, Catalyst.

I feel that I am just a temporary curator for these historic vessels, and my primary goal is to leave them in better shape than they were in when my period of stewardship began.

To tie things back to topic just a bit, Kit Africa has sailed as Westward's captain on several occasions.

[Edited on 3-29-2014 by Islandbuilder]