BajaNomad

Any March NOMADness fans out there?

Hook - 3-19-2014 at 07:08 PM

First off, I am vacationing in AZ and I will be watching some March Madness starting tomorrow. No dogs will be involved in this post, however. But I still think it qualifies. :lol:

So, are there other Nomads suffering from March NOMADness?? Who are you favoring? How far with U of AZ go? UCLA? Will Florida win it all?

I'm leaning towards the team that Obama tabbed; Michigan State.

woody with a view - 3-19-2014 at 08:23 PM

Arizona. where you at?

SDSU is my sleeper!:lol:

Santiago - 3-19-2014 at 08:29 PM

Really, the biggest obstical is deciding which #12 will beat their apponent and how far are you will think Gonzaga goes?
I consistently think that Gonzaga will go one round farther than they do and last year I had NO #12 wining the first game and I think 3 out of 4 did.
Brutal.
Has there ever been a final Four with all #1 seeds?
North Dakota State??? are you kidding me? I'm not even really sure what state they're in.

Hook - 3-19-2014 at 09:16 PM

OMG, I am an SDSU post-grad, and I forgot about them!!! For shame!!

Osprey - 3-20-2014 at 06:54 AM

They are all winners. When you are being drilled that the game (and life) is win or go home and it hinges on your every block, shot, freethrow, pass, that makes for a whole lot of good/better/best. If only the arena was a true extension of the classroom!!!

We're just beginning the 64 round games and my television days are just one highlight move after another. I hope all those who give it their all become millionaire NBAers.

KurtG - 3-20-2014 at 09:59 AM

The Cal Poly Mustangs have certainly created some excitement around here! Knocked off 3 higher seeded teams on consecutive nights to get to the NCAA then won their first round game yesterday.

dpwahoo - 3-20-2014 at 11:45 AM

Yea, Kurt, That was wild last night.:cool:

DanO - 3-20-2014 at 11:52 AM

My bracket says UCLA is going all the way, but as an alumnus I might be biased.

dpwahoo - 3-20-2014 at 02:10 PM

Oh, Dano, Do i ever remember back in the day! Wilkes, Rowe, Shackelford, Walton. Stayin up late with with my father, watchin the rerun on channel 5. And tryin to dance around all day not to hear the score. That was fun!:cool:

Bob H - 3-20-2014 at 03:14 PM

Go AZTECS !!

Martyman - 3-20-2014 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dpwahoo
Oh, Dano, Do i ever remember back in the day! Wilkes, Rowe, Shackelford, Walton. Stayin up late with with my father, watchin the rerun on channel 5. And tryin to dance around all day not to hear the score. That was fun!:cool:

Me Too...There was another guy named Alcindor, he was pretty good.

DanO - 3-20-2014 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Quote:

They had a pretty decent coach back then as well. I've got a basketball with his autograph on it that I picked up at a silent auction a few years ago.

Bob H - 3-21-2014 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Go AZTECS !!

AZTECS Advance !!
:bounce:

Bob H - 3-23-2014 at 06:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Go AZTECS !!

AZTECS Advance !!
:bounce:

Now... on to the SWEET 16 !! :O:tumble::spingrin:

woody with a view - 3-23-2014 at 08:34 AM

whooop!!

edit: i had SDSU losing to OKLA...... now it's on!

[Edited on 3-23-2014 by woody with a view]

Skipjack Joe - 3-23-2014 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Quote:

To this day I consider Alcindor/Jabar the best player to ever play the game. Any team that got him immediately became NBA champions. They instituted the no-dunk rule just to keep him from dominating teams.

But what impressed me the most was that freshman/varsity game at UCLA. Lew Alcindor with his freshman team beat the varsity. A team that were NCAA champions. That's incredible.

There are many NBA players considered better than Kareem. Chamberlain had a 100 point game. Jordan was the most athletically gifted. Russel had more championships. Oscar averaged a triple double for his entire career. Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, LeBron ... none come close. If you want to win games there was nobody better to have on your team than Kareem.

Hook - 3-23-2014 at 11:35 AM

Came home from AZ yesterday, listening to basketball all the way. Even ignored baseball!

I was stunned to find that Oregon had blown a 12 point lead at halftime. I really wanted to see them match up against SDSU. That would have been a real track meet. Of course, SDSU would have to get past AZ.

Pac-10, er, Pac-12 making a good showing with the Stanford upset of Kansas. Stanford has the easiest draw to the Elite Eight, facing Dayton. Of course, Syracuse thought that, too.

[Edited on 3-23-2014 by Hook]

pauldavidmena - 3-23-2014 at 12:04 PM

My wife's alma mater, Michigan State, made the Sweet 16 after barely beating Harvard last night. They're likely to face #1 seed Virginia on Friday unless #8 Memphis can upset them. With all of the upsets that have happened this weekend, it still appears likely that the #1 seeds will all move on to the next round. It's madness!

mulegemichael - 3-23-2014 at 03:27 PM

just got through watching wichita state endure their first loss of the season to kentucky...at this point i think coach has them ready for the dance...watch out!

DawnPatrol - 3-23-2014 at 03:31 PM

SDSU grad from 1974
Been a front row, 35 year basketball season ticket holder, and have been through a lot of bad basketball over the years-- until Steve Fisher showed up 11 years ago.
Wow!
We have a great system in play right now. Got the recruiting pipeline working at 110%
We win ugly most of the time (reads: superior pressing defense with moderate shooting except for the "X" man (Xavier Thames- who is on fire right now)
If we do not give defensive coach/recruiter Justin Hudson a 100% raise we are crazy..
this kid will be another great head coach someday. And he's not even the assistant head coach who is another gem...
I will be there in Anaheim with the frenetic students ("the Show") on Thursday

The place will be rockin' ......
GO AZTECS

Hook - 3-23-2014 at 03:52 PM

Lots of upsets, to be sure.

I read that Warren Buffet's billion dollar challenge only lasted 25 games this year. After 25 games, no one entering the contest had all of them right, up to that point. That's actually better than the last two years. Odds of someone getting all the matchups right are variously reported at 1 in 128 billion to 1 in some-quintillion. Quicken Loans, which is a co-sponsor of this contest, was supposedly capping the number of entrants at 15 million.

Bob H - 3-23-2014 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Lots of upsets, to be sure.

I read that Warren Buffet's billion dollar challenge only lasted 25 games this year. After 25 games, no one entering the contest had all of them right, up to that point. That's actually better than the last two years. Odds of someone getting all the matchups right are variously reported at 1 in 128 billion to 1 in some-quintillion. Quicken Loans, which is a co-sponsor of this contest, was supposedly capping the number of entrants at 15 million.

That's interesting stuff Hook! It's hard enough to win a four or five game parlay during the NFL season much less something like predicting a March Madness bracket. Wow!
Go Aztecs!

Hook - 3-23-2014 at 08:46 PM

Pretty boring day, today. Lots of blow-outs. Wichita State/Kentucky and IA ST./NC were pretty good, though.

Two 11 seeds and one 10 seed are the extent of the Cinderella teams.

SDSU to meet the U of AZ; should be a good game.

rts551 - 3-24-2014 at 07:35 AM

San Diego you better have your A-game on. Here come Arizona!

DawnPatrol - 3-24-2014 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
San Diego you better have your A-game on. Here come Arizona!

I hear ya brother....

It will either be an AZ blowout, or we will keep it close and hopefully pull it out

Bob H - 3-28-2014 at 12:29 AM

Aztecs.... It was a great season. Arizona pulled it out in the end. But, the Aztecs played a great game.:(

TMW - 3-28-2014 at 11:38 AM

My wife is happy, Dayton won, her hometown.

Yep, my alma mater lost by 6 points

durrelllrobert - 3-28-2014 at 12:05 PM

Arizona (33-4) struggled mightily for much of the game. It was dominated by SDSU on the glass during the first half and had a very hard time denying the Aztecs second-chance opportunities.

Nick Johnson—the Wildcats’ star player and 2014 Pac-12 Player of the Year—just couldn’t get on track early, but he sure came alive late.

Johnson posted zero points through the first 37 minutes of play, but he erupted for 15 in the final 2:45 to push his team over the finish line. It was one of the most improbable, and outstanding, individual performances of the tournament thus far.

This was SDSU's second trip to the sweet sixteen but never a trip to the elite eight. Maybe the third time will be the charm since most of their key players will return next year.

Hook - 3-28-2014 at 10:08 PM

Michigan State upsets a #1 seed. They now play UConn. Kentucky outs Pitino and Louisville in the Battle of Kentucky.

The first entrants into the Final Four will be decided tomorrow. AZ plays Wisconsin and FLA plays this year's Cinderella team, the Dayton Flyers.

And Mike Trout signs an extension with the Angels...........life is good!

woody with a view - 3-29-2014 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Arizona (33-4) struggled mightily for much of the game. It was dominated by SDSU on the glass during the first half and had a very hard time denying the Aztecs second-chance opportunities.

Nick Johnson—the Wildcats’ star player and 2014 Pac-12 Player of the Year—just couldn’t get on track early, but he sure came alive late.

Johnson posted zero points through the first 37 minutes of play, but he erupted for 15 in the final 2:45 to push his team over the finish line. It was one of the most improbable, and outstanding, individual performances of the tournament thus far.

This was SDSU's second trip to the sweet sixteen but never a trip to the elite eight. Maybe the third time will be the charm since most of their key players will return next year.

SDSU had a VERY GOOD recruiting season. 5 starters is what i'm hearing......

as for the tourney, WE ARE KENTUCKY!