BajaNomad

Norteño v Chilango

BajaNomad - 4-13-2014 at 10:25 PM

Saying "mande?" vs. "como?"

Whale-ista - 4-13-2014 at 10:39 PM

The word "mande?" (kind of like saying "huh?") always bugs me- it's muy Mexicano, but has roots in subservience. ("Mandar" is the root, "to order")

What I learned is it's similar to asking someone to direct you. "Tell me what you mean?" or "tell me what to do."

I prefer "como?" which is more universal, basically "what?"

DENNIS - 4-14-2014 at 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
The word "mande?" (kind of like saying "huh?") always bugs me- it's muy Mexicano, but has roots in subservience. ("Mandar" is the root, "to order")

What I learned is it's similar to asking someone to direct you. "Tell me what you mean?" or "tell me what to do."

I used the term, mande, while having a casual, bi-lingual discussion with a woman from Nicaragua, and she immediately chastised me severely for using the "order me" term. I guess it's unique to Mexico.

nandopedal - 4-14-2014 at 07:36 AM

Nice one Mr. Administrator, when I was a kid growing up in TJ it use to be so entertaining to listen chilangos that had just got off the bus!

sargentodiaz - 5-18-2014 at 12:26 PM

I thought "chilango" stood for anyone from DF!

That's why my wife [a Sinaloan] says.

DENNIS - 5-18-2014 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sargentodiaz

First post specifies "Vocabulary."

mtgoat666 - 5-18-2014 at 12:55 PM

Quote:

"mande" is great way to answer the phone, i kind of like it. it is better than people answering the phone with "yo." :lol::lol:

Whale-ista - 5-18-2014 at 02:03 PM

Hmmm...I always say "bueno" when I answer the phone and caller ID is from MX. Is that no longer common?

I always imagined it's sort of like saying "well....you called- now what?"

Paula - 5-18-2014 at 02:18 PM

Bueno is correct and standard, Whale-ista. The one I love to hear, though I don't use it, is the hipper and trendier Que pasó?

EnsenadaDr - 5-18-2014 at 02:33 PM

You know what I don't like...when you ask for someone or someone asks for a person in your house, the standard now is, "Se encuentra Juan?" Literally it means, are you finding Juan? And then if they aren't there, it's "No se encuentra" or "I don't find him" How ridiculoso!!

Whale-ista - 5-18-2014 at 02:47 PM

How about "que onda?" Is it still a common phrase, sort of a "what's up?" or "whats happening?" (literally: "what's the wave/frequency")

Used w/friends- very informal. Maybe out of date now...

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Bueno is correct and standard, Whale-ista. The one I love to hear, though I don't use it, is the hipper and trendier Que pasó?

DENNIS - 5-18-2014 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...I always say "bueno" when I answer the phone and caller ID is from MX. Is that no longer common?

Still in use, but it's the second part that drives me nutz. They will call someone and ask who it is that answered the phone without saying who's calling. This seems common. :fire::fire:

willardguy - 5-18-2014 at 03:06 PM

my mexican neighbor say's answering the phone "bueno" comes from back in the day when connections were iffy, and it just stuck.

dasubergeek - 5-18-2014 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sargentodiaz

Depends whom you're asking... :lol:

sunflower - 5-18-2014 at 07:54 PM

When somebody asks "se encuentra Juan" is more like "is John there?"

shari - 5-19-2014 at 08:33 PM

I always wondered why people answered the phone with "bueno"...now I know...gracias...muy shilo!

David K - 5-19-2014 at 11:11 PM

If asked "mande?", I usually reply, "no, Tuesday!" :lol::lol::lol:

durrelllrobert - 5-20-2014 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Still in use, but it's the second part that drives me nutz. They will call someone and ask who it is that answered the phone without saying who's calling. This seems common. :fire::fire:

In English "Is this the party to whom I am speaking?":spingrin: