BajaNomad

Speed Traps Highway 1

Wilbur4s - 4-14-2014 at 10:19 PM

Should we expect radar anywhere on highway 1? I expect to observe posted speed limits in towns, but am wondering whether Mexico highway patrol has the resources to mount radar traps.
Ciao, Will

windgrrl - 4-15-2014 at 04:30 AM

Yes. There was one outside La Paz last November, about 15 minutes north of the city. They were using a hand held radar "gun".

No traps

bajaguy - 4-15-2014 at 05:16 AM

It's called speed enforcement............ :lol:

The majority, if not all, of the Federal Police have radar. If they use it is a different matter.

I have also seen the Ensenada Municipal Police use radar.

A good radar detector will find radar before it finds you, even if the radar is in pulse mode..........LADAR or LASER speed detection is a horse of a different color

[Edited on 4-15-2014 by bajaguy]

aguachico - 4-15-2014 at 06:27 AM

between vizcaino and g-negro

mulegejim - 4-15-2014 at 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
between vizcaino and g-negro

Ditto....have seen them there several times.

Gulliver - 4-15-2014 at 07:07 AM

I think it's a great thing and they should do much more radar enforcement.

The vast, vast majority of accidents along Rt. 1 are from excessive speed. Both Mexican nationals and Gringos offend. The big trucks drive too fast. Gringos towing wide boats drive like idiots. And worst of all, younger Mexicans with new pickups driving at eighty and passing in totally crazy places.

I have little against suicide but this behavior is like an airplane bomber. It endangers other people. It has gotten worse in the last few years as more people buy bigger pickups. For me, it is the most feared part of an otherwise tranquil experience of driving in Baja.

DENNIS - 4-15-2014 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

They used to use a Tecate can on a stick. Have they upgraded their equipment?

Wilbur4s - 4-15-2014 at 07:22 AM

2 more related questions:
a) If one were to get caught, what would one expect to occur? What would be the penalty? una mordida en el momemnto? Or would one have to surrender one's license and appear in court?
b) Would one expect that these "enforcement" efforts would occur in the vicinity of towns/cities, or in the middle of nowhere?

So technically, that's 5 questions.

Ciao, WIll

DENNIS - 4-15-2014 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur4s
a) If one were to get caught, what would one expect to occur? What would be the penalty? una mordida en el momemnto?

For certain. That's what Radar is...a pay raise for a cop.

Wilbur4s - 4-15-2014 at 07:38 AM

And I forgot, how much of a multa or mordida should one expect?

DENNIS - 4-15-2014 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
And I forgot, how much of a multa or mordida should one expect?

"Don't pay anything. insist on seeing the judge." .........That's the official answer. Anything else is up to you. There is no "normal" amount for mordida as there is for a multa and that will vary from place to place.
Just drive safely and pay attention to allowed speeds.

[Edited on 4-15-2014 by DENNIS]

Maryland is a police state

durrelllrobert - 4-15-2014 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
It's called speed enforcement............ :lol:

The majority, if not all, of the Federal Police have radar. If they use it is a different matter.

A good radar detector will find radar before it finds you, even if the radar is in pulse mode..........LADAR or LASER speed detection is a horse of a different color

[Edited on 4-15-2014 by bajaguy]

The MD State police use confiscated vehicles ranging from VWs to tractor trailers to set up their LADAR. Here's a typical set up in Howard County where I used to live:

Wilbur4s - 4-15-2014 at 08:17 AM

durrelllrobert, what's that got to do with Baja?

willardguy - 4-15-2014 at 08:23 AM

turns out the GT200 doubles nicely as a radar detector! prove em otherwise.:lol:

mulegemichael - 4-15-2014 at 08:43 AM

been stopped 3 different times for speeding in baja...all by federales...got off all 3 times with a warning...so all is not bad!

durrelllrobert - 4-15-2014 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
durrelllrobert, what's that got to do with Baja?

Yo no se nada. Just comparison of well marked radar cars in Baja vs other places.

rts551 - 4-15-2014 at 09:36 AM

last week neighbors got flagged outside San qUINTIN.

Trueheart - 4-15-2014 at 10:37 AM

I've been pulled over twice. On one I paid mordida because I wanted to be out of that situation as quickly as possible, because I was the designated driver for several that had had too much to drink. I placed (2) $20 bills in my wallet clip, so that when I pulled my license to be viewed, the officer (there were two) could see the 2 $20's. My suspicion is that if you show more cash, then the mordida price just goes up to match what you have. It worked, I gave him the (2) $20's and I was on my way. BTW, the problem was I was parked next to the curb in the wrong direction on a one way street (not signed) and not traveled by many vehicles.

On the second instance, my license plate on my ATV trailer was missing because it got torn off while traveling down a Baja off road. The trailer was registered current, I could prove that, but not having a license plate was all the officer was focused on. He wanted mordida, and I refused, saying I had not done anything wrong and would cure the license plate problem when I got back to my US state. He threatened to take me to the court in an attempt to get the mordida, but I stood my ground on this one because I had the time to do so. He figured out soon that he did not have a good prospect in me, and while he was dealing with me time was passing by that he could be ripping off others. He gave up, and I was on my way.

So, I think the circumstances under which you get pulled over, the time you have to fight it, being wrong or right, all play into your level of resistance.

If you do decide to pay the mordida, don't show a lot of cash, only a nominal amount you're willing to part with.

Good luck. Steve

aguachico - 4-15-2014 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulliver
I think it's a great thing and they should do much more radar enforcement.

Totally agree, more radar and less speed bumps. Them damn things make me slow down from 80 to 60.

DawnPatrol - 4-15-2014 at 08:49 PM

Saw them this Monday with radar just south of Ensenada right north of the abandoned military checkpoint

bajalearner - 4-16-2014 at 09:52 AM

2 years ago, got stopped about midnight while my girlfriend drove as I snoozed in the r/f seat. She said something when the red light came on behind us and I woke and saw the speedo at 90. 2 Federal officers asked us questions, checked some papers, nosed around a little and released us. No hints of money changing hands.

I don't drive that fast and don't like it.

RnR - 4-16-2014 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
2 years ago, got stopped about midnight while my girlfriend drove as I snoozed in the r/f seat. She said something when the red light came on behind us and I woke and saw the speedo at 90. 2 Federal officers asked us questions, checked some papers, nosed around a little and released us. No hints of money changing hands.

I don't drive that fast and don't like it.

90 in the dark????

Tell me that it is a Canadian automobile and the speedo is kph and not mph......

bajalearner - 4-16-2014 at 10:52 AM

No, it's mph. But it was as dark as a Canadian night. I drove the rest of the trip to avoid problems.

RADAR questions

bajaguy - 4-16-2014 at 06:31 PM

Here are a couple of questions to ask the police.......(if you feel lucky)

1. When was the last time you calibrated the RADAR unit

2. How did you do it and what did you use???

Oh, speaking of RADAR, it's National Palindrome Week:

http://www.news4jax.com/news/111213-and-other-odd-dates/4728...

Quote:
2 more related questions:
a) If one were to get caught, what would one expect to occur? What would be the penalty? una mordida en el momemnto? Or would one have to surrender one's license and appear in court?
b) Would one expect that these "enforcement" efforts would occur in the vicinity of towns/cities, or in the middle of nowhere?

So technically, that's 5 questions.

Ciao, WIll