BajaNomad

Just Another Baja Adventure, March 2014!

catfish - 4-15-2014 at 11:19 AM

I really want to thank Baja Nomads for the GREAT information I found & received for planning my first Baja ride! It was a BLAST!
The ride report with photos (& videos still in progress) is on advrider.com.

Here's a few photos;

Window Rock Trail

22-Day Trail

22-Day Trail

22-Day Trail

Window Rock!

Enjoy & thanks again!

Catfish ...

blackwolfmt - 4-15-2014 at 11:28 AM

Looks like a BLAST!!

Taco de Baja - 4-15-2014 at 11:58 AM

Thanks for sharing, Looks like a lot of rain fell. Happy plants! That's the Baja countryside I really love.

Ateo - 4-15-2014 at 12:02 PM

That rock hole is cool! Tons of green out there! Thanks for sharing!

Tbone - 4-15-2014 at 12:09 PM

I have taken plenty of photos and video of way steep hill climbs and they all (with the exception of those taken from a distance) looked like no big deal. Very hard to show just how steep a hill is.

Cool photos and report.

Skipjack Joe - 4-15-2014 at 01:36 PM

These are wonderful (sans motorcycles). Looks like you had a lot of fun.

David K - 4-15-2014 at 02:06 PM

Just awesome... Love seeing boojum trees! Thanks for the look at the M/C trail... It is one of Bill Nichols trails, yes?

BooJumMan - 4-16-2014 at 02:13 PM

Awesome!!

tripledigitken - 4-16-2014 at 02:18 PM

That's some genuine single track riding. Thanks for posting.

Meany - 4-17-2014 at 06:05 AM

Great back country shots...thanks.

Whale-ista - 4-17-2014 at 09:52 AM

love the scenery. thanks for sharing.

catfish - 4-17-2014 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Just awesome... Love seeing boojum trees! Thanks for the look at the M/C trail... It is one of Bill Nichols trails, yes?

The boojums are a trip! Yes, these were 3 of Bill Nichols older trails between Catavina, Bay of L.A., and the Pacific.

THANKS for your comments everyone! I used to get "Mojave Madness" every March. I think its "Baja Madness" now! ;-)

Catfish ...

Paulina - 4-19-2014 at 06:39 AM

That was a nice report, thanks for posting the link.

P>*)))>{

ehall - 4-19-2014 at 08:27 AM

Nice trip report, read it all on adv rider. Probably crossed paths down there. We were in a red jeep in the same areas(except the single track of course)

Sweetwater - 4-19-2014 at 10:20 AM

I've been watching the Adv report as well. We did a 14 day ride to and from La Paz just a few weeks earlier. I haven't had a single track bike but might acquire one this summer, the byways in Baja are being paved and getting crowded. That's one sure way to avoid traffic.

We did run in to the group with Bill Nichols in San Ignacio during our trip. I would enjoy having someone who knows the terrain like that but the group was huge. It seems that a smaller group is much better. Did you produce your own GPS trax for your trip?

[Edited on 4-19-2014 by Sweetwater]

pappy - 4-23-2014 at 01:21 PM

killer photos-the countryside is looking healthy! did you use a helmet mounted go-pro ?

tiotomasbcs - 4-25-2014 at 03:25 AM

Awesome. I love the area, too. Never traveled east, tho. Living vicariously! Almost missed this post--pays to cruise around thru back pages. Thanks. Tio

catfish - 4-25-2014 at 09:30 AM

THANKS everyone for your comments! :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater
I've been watching the Adv report as well. We did a 14 day ride to and from La Paz just a few weeks earlier. I haven't had a single track bike but might acquire one this summer, the byways in Baja are being paved and getting crowded. That's one sure way to avoid traffic.

We did run in to the group with Bill Nichols in San Ignacio during our trip. I would enjoy having someone who knows the terrain like that but the group was huge. It seems that a smaller group is much better. Did you produce your own GPS trax for your trip?

[Edited on 4-19-2014 by Sweetwater]

It wasn't until I got the Beta in 2011 that I finally had a dirtbike I felt confident enough on to go play *anywhere*!

Bill is a trail-building genius. He's 74 this year & still building Baja trails! I'd love to meet him, but I bet he has quite the following now on his ATR (Arizona Trail Riders) club rides. I just wanna learn where his singletrack trails are, so I can go play there too!

Our group of 4, with 2 having 6+ gal tanks, worked well. Anders, Jim, & I had ridden together many times before. I had ridden with Ken twice in the past year. 4 to maybe 6 is a good group size for Baja.

I've read MANY dirtbike Baja ride reports. Most go to the same places. A few hint at locations of cool trails. Some will share their tracks if asked in private messages.

So yes, I built the gpx file of tracks & waypoints collected from ride reports & tracks of others. I also use the E32 map and Google Earth. When they all agree, I'm confident in the route. If the track does not follow a E32 line, I get all excited that it might be singletrack! ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by pappy
killer photos-the countryside is looking healthy! did you use a helmet mounted go-pro ?

The Pacific-side mountains were definitely greener that the sea-side mountains. I think the rain was about 2-3 weeks before we came thru.

Jim & I had small digital cameras for most of the photos. Mine is a Canon Powershot ELPH300HS. Nice, small, & takes GREAT photos. Later in the ride report, Anders is still posting youtube links to the GoPro video footage he took on the ride.

Catfish ...

Bob H - 4-25-2014 at 09:50 AM

Fantastic trip report and photos! Rain = happy plants !!

David K - 3-27-2021 at 09:03 AM

Another look at a great trip report on the Bill Nichols' Trail!