BajaNomad

becoming Mexican citizen, the new requirements

tecatero - 4-16-2014 at 06:34 AM

Anyone know the new low down on obtaining Mex citizenship. am a permanent resident card holder and want to take the next step, but heard as of March 2014 its all turned upside down, sideways, and backwards......Any info appreciated. I contacted Gilberto Pineda, but he's saying 5 years needed as a permanent resident before you can apply ???????

Udo - 4-16-2014 at 07:33 AM

My legal sources say the same...5 years.

BajaBlanca - 4-16-2014 at 08:28 AM

I tell you what, though

Once you have fulfilled the 5 year time requirement ( and if you have citizenship from a latin country, this requirement used to be and may still be, only 2 years), the process is now quite fast. We booked tickets for June thinking it would take the normal 4 months......Les just heard yesterday that he must pick up his citizenship paperwork within the next 30 days, or forfeit it. So off he goes next week after only 2 months wait.

DavidE - 4-16-2014 at 09:45 AM

It took me three years Blanca, and I was forced to go to Mexico City. I heard ZERO from the SRE, and then Jesús pickup up a fat envelope at a Delagado's office and inside was all my paperwork. He forged my firma.

POPEYE-SCOTT - 4-16-2014 at 11:57 AM

Hello,
Just wondering...

What is the reasons that one would choose to be a resident or even a citizen in Mexico instead of the US? Is it mostly about land ownership? Do you then have to give up your US citizenship?

Thanks

DavidE - 4-16-2014 at 12:08 PM

Substitute

AND

for

INSTEAD

chippy - 4-16-2014 at 03:43 PM

After 10 years of fm3 and having a daughter born in Mexico I figured the whole family (not just my daughter) should have both. It took me 2.5 years and my wife 1 year (we applied the same day). The SRE in Colima was very surly with gringos back then. It had nothing to do with land ownership. It was more a matter of pride. We are glad we didn´t have to give up our US citizenship but I would have in a heartbeat. I´ve been living here for 16 years full time and don´t regret a second of it.

Now I get screwed by 2 governments:lol:

[Edited on 4-16-2014 by chippy]

POPEYE-SCOTT - 4-17-2014 at 08:23 AM

Getting screwed by two governments....priceless :lol: