BajaNomad

The final Jesuit mission (#17) at Calamajué and Santa María

David K - 4-17-2014 at 05:18 PM

The latest Discover Baja Blog Post:

I hope you enjoy this chapter/ article on the 17th California mission and the last one founded by the Jesuits in California. I have included details into one place that make understanding events clearer.

The last Jesuit mission was first founded as 'Nuestra Señora de Columna' at Calamajué, but moved 6 months later to the final site, renamed Santa María.

http://discoverbaja.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/the-spanish-mis...

DocRey - 4-17-2014 at 07:58 PM

Cool stuff. Thx.:)

area51captive - 4-18-2014 at 09:41 AM

Wonderful stuff. This is one of the very few sites I've visited and it's the topic of conversations all the time in camp because it is close by. It clears up so many questions. Congratulations on the research, thoroughness, and presentation!! I think I need one of your books. I'll go over to VivaBaja for the details.

DK

captkw - 4-18-2014 at 09:44 AM

Hola....in 1 or 2 days I will again be at the mission "SOLEDAD" in alta calif..........cool history..thanks:cool:

David K - 4-18-2014 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Hola....in 1 or 2 days I will again be at the mission "SOLEDAD" in alta calif..........cool history..thanks:cool:

Great...

You may enjoy seeing other missions along the way. I just posted several photos on our book's facebook page of the missions San Buenaventura, Santa Barbara, La Purisima and Santa Ines: http://facebook.com/oldmissions

Here is the page in our book ('The Old Missions of Baja & Alta California, 1697-1834') on the Soledad mission... the 36th California mission:

David K - 4-18-2014 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by area51captive
Wonderful stuff. This is one of the very few sites I've visited and it's the topic of conversations all the time in camp because it is close by. It clears up so many questions. Congratulations on the research, thoroughness, and presentation!! I think I need one of your books. I'll go over to VivaBaja for the details.

Glad you enjoy seeing back in time... Baja is great for that.

Finding history takes time, research, and to make the most of it putting the details in one place. Modern books each have some of the history, sometimes it is wrong but it inspires us to seek more. Calamajué is often mis-represented as a separate mission from Santa María or as a visita.

Ordering the book link is right here, in every one of my Nomad posts... with the other links in my signature. However, I welcome everyone to visit my personal Baja adventure web pages at VivaBaja.com anytime.

Thank you!

Edit: In San Diego County, you can buy the book right off the shelf at Discover Baja Travel Club, and Mission San Luis Rey Gift Shop. In L.A. you can pick up a copy at Mission San Gabriel and Mission San Fernando gift shops. In Santa Barbara, at the Presidio gift shop.

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by David K]