BajaNomad

Cabo San Lucas Surfline Article

Ateo - 4-25-2014 at 08:28 AM

Some surf photos and commentary on Cabo surf spots. The only time I've ever been chased out of the water was at Zippers, where this article says is the safest spot in Cabo. A friend was punched in the face last summer there too. I'll never go back there again.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/spot-check-cabo-san-lucas_...

bajajudy - 4-25-2014 at 09:09 AM

WOW
The kid that wrote the article is the son of the guy who built our house. We kinda grew up with Justin.
Terrific photos!
I agree about Zippers though. That is the only place I have ever heard of fist fights over waves. Some friends of ours came home with bloody noses. It used to be this one guy....dont know if he is still around.
We have a wonderful surfing book, "Tribe of the Waves" by Ignacio Cota that tells the story of his surfing career and life. Lotsa great photos.

Ateo - 4-25-2014 at 09:38 AM

Yeah, Jeremiah Klein is a great photographer! Small world in regards to Justin eh?

Great waves down there and beauty everywhere.

paranewbi - 4-25-2014 at 09:50 AM

Yea Ateo...saw the article this morning. Looking at the crowds doesn't make it attractive to me at all. I had uncountable days at zippers, the rock and old man's before all the crap was built around it. Usually my time out there was just to do something until making the afternoon run out east.
Made a trek a couple of years ago down in the area past all the fencing and the provided govt. beaches, then into San Jose and knew I would never go back again...to many people now.
To see these kids and thongs think their having a great time...well I guess it's all relative. I just chuckle and give thanks for my advanced years..to think I use to spend hours trying to find someone who wanted to go out...use to get lonely. :)

paranewbi - 4-25-2014 at 09:53 AM

and thongs wasn't a typo for throngs...although they seem to go together.

apple - 4-25-2014 at 09:59 AM

Where is Zippers?

paranewbi - 4-25-2014 at 10:02 AM

SHHHH, keep those secret spots secret.

willardguy - 4-25-2014 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple
Where is Zippers?
Mike Doyle will hook you up!;)

woody with a view - 4-25-2014 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
We have a wonderful surfing book, "Tribe of the Waves" by Ignacio Cota that tells the story of his surfing career and life. Lotsa great photos.

I wonder if he is related to Gus Cota from Sunset Cliffs/K-38 back in the 80's?

[Edited on 4-25-2014 by woody with a view]

Ateo - 4-25-2014 at 10:47 AM

If you guys surf you should check out Surf Splendor. Today he released an interview with Steve Pezman of the Surfers Journal. Totally OT, but you will enjoy. Just Google it.

elgatoloco - 4-25-2014 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
If you guys surf you should check out Surf Splendor. Today he released an interview with Steve Pezman of the Surfers Journal. Totally OT, but you will enjoy. Just Google it.

Geeze..........now I really won't get anything done at my desk. :biggrin:

bajajudy - 4-25-2014 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

I wonder if he is related to Gus Cota from Sunset Cliffs/K-38 back in the 80's?

[Edited on 4-25-2014 by woody with a view]

He goes by Nacho now...dont know but will ask him when I see him

ddawson - 4-25-2014 at 02:01 PM

One of the other photogs in the article is a good friend of mine. His name is Ale Fuentevilla and is from Mazatlan. He shoots a lot of Mexico's Pacific coastline both Mainland and Baja. He has some cool shots on his website http://www.alejandrofuentevilla.com/index.html

pappy - 5-3-2014 at 04:18 PM

whoa! that's the zippers/oldman's area? where did all those condos come from?i think the last time i was down in that neck of the woods was in '92. had been going evey couple years since 1980. the build up in '92 was too much. now i can't even imagine....sheesh.