BajaNomad

Do you need an Eye Opener in the morning?

EnsenadaDr - 5-17-2014 at 09:37 PM

Sorry Folks. I rerouted this to the Health and Wellness category.

The CAGE questionnaire, the name of which is an acronym of its four questions, is a widely used method of screening for alcoholism.

Two "yes" responses indicate that the possibility of alcoholism should be investigated further.
The questionnaire asks the following questions:
Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?
Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?[1][2]
The CAGE questionnaire, among other methods, has been extensively validated for use in identifying alcoholism.[3] CAGE is considered a validated screening technique, with one study determining that CAGE test scores >=2 had a specificity of 76% and a sensitivity of 93% for the identification of excessive drinking and a specificity of 77% and a sensitivity of 91% for the identification of alcoholism.[4]

By far the most important question in the CAGE questionnaire is the use of a drink as an Eye Opener, so much so that some clinicians use a "yes" to this question alone as a positive to the questionnaire; this is due to the fact that the use of an alcoholic drink as an Eye Opener denotes abuse since the patient is going through withdrawal in the morning, hence the need for a drink as an Eye Opener

It is not valid for diagnosis of other substance use disorders, although somewhat modified versions of the CAGE questionnaire are frequently implemented for such a purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAGE_questionnaire

Barry A. - 5-17-2014 at 10:03 PM

Interesting stuff-----------thanks Doc.

Barry

woody with a view - 5-18-2014 at 06:55 AM

so if you substitute "eating" for "drinking" and answer yes twice you might be fat and should be investigated further?

EnsenadaDr - 5-18-2014 at 07:32 AM

Obviously eating breakfast in the morning is not an indication that you are "fat". Many teenagers are anorexic and bulimic and are guilty about eating but they are not overweight. The CAGE guidelines are the wrong chart to use Woody for losing weight. Please refer below:

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf

danaeb - 5-18-2014 at 07:35 AM

How about substituting "posting online" for drinking?

EnsenadaDr - 5-18-2014 at 07:38 AM

Hahaha...I am nowhere near the number one poster. going out for my morning walk this morning, have a wonderful day Danaeb.

greengoes - 5-18-2014 at 07:42 AM

The biggest #2 poster?

EnsenadaDr - 5-18-2014 at 07:46 AM

Greengoes believe it or not you beat me and we joined virtually the same time a few days apart. I am not even in the Top 40. Have a great day in beautiful Ensenada. Hope it is cooler today.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/misc.php?action=list&order=p...

Quote:
Originally posted by greengoes
The biggest #2 poster?

elgatoloco - 5-18-2014 at 09:17 AM

Sunday Morning Eye Opener

16 oz. glass with salted rim, filled with ice
1 1/2 oz Centeņario Plata (or other Silver tequila)
2 shakes of celery salt
2 shakes of black pepper
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 tsp Maggi Brand 'Jugo' Sauce
2 shakes Cholulua hot sauce
Juice of 1/2 Mexican lime (about 1/2 tsp)
Fill glass with Clamato juice

Garnish: a lime round on the rim
a large toothpick with a garlic or jalapeņo-stuffed olive (or three)
a cooked prawn and a pickled pepper