BajaNomad

Best ice chest for long Baja trip?

Pages:  1  2

mtgoat666 - 5-4-2018 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Thank you ! Very helpful.

Has anyone used any trays or baskets to keep food dry, up above water/ice levels? Things like fresh produce that would be damaged by water.

I welcome other ideas to maximize cooler benefits.

If I'm hauling produce and cheese and meatr etc, stuff i do not want wet. I buy 1 gallon crystal geyser spring water, pour out 1/2 a cup or so to deal with expansion, and freeze em down. usually 3 for a big ice chest. once they are frozen solid, they keep everything in the box cold and dry! and when they melt - they are pure drinking water. i will also put in frozen meat etc inside double ziplocks, extends the life of the ice.

i usually put my beer and soda in a wet chest - use ice on those.

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by caj13]

Instead of buying expensive drinking water, use milk jugs filled with tap water.
If a short trip, produce goes in a box, no need to cool.

TMW - 5-4-2018 at 07:40 PM

If you are going on an extended trip put block ice in one cooler and only take it out as needed. In a good cooler it will last a long time.

I have two Canyon coolers a 35qt and 55qt. After 7 days of normal use block ice is about 1/3 to 1/4 size. I put one block in the 35 and two in the 55 for my trips. Depending on the trip depends on which one I take. Also I always top off the ice when possible.

[Edited on 5-5-2018 by TMW]

Pages:  1  2