BajaNomad

places to stay south of San Felipe

Deerko - 5-23-2014 at 10:09 AM

I want to go north from GN and cross over through Coco's corner through San Felipe to Mexicali.
Any recommendations for camping spots or places to stay from Gonzaga Bay going north to Mexicali?

David K - 5-23-2014 at 10:17 AM

Campgrounds:

Gonzaga Bay (100 miles from San Felipe): Campo Beluga http://vivabaja.com/207/page3.html

23 miles from San Felipe (Km. 32): Nuevo Mazatlan http://vivabaja.com/nm/

chuckie - 5-23-2014 at 11:46 AM

And not a lot else, from Gonzaga to SF, as I remember...

mcfez - 5-23-2014 at 03:30 PM

(Km. 32): Nuevo Mazatlan http://vivabaja.com/nm/

Has all you need. Trees and showers. As you drive in....take the road to your right where there is a bunch of trees. Seems to be cooler in there.

Puertecitos is not bad either. Showers and overheads at the campsite. They bring in water for your site, has a BBQ pit. Clara runs a nice operation there.

If you dont need a "established" camp.............I find hundreds of spots to do primitive camping from SF to BoLA. Black Mountain is real nice area (8 miles south of Puertecitos)

redhilltown - 5-23-2014 at 11:24 PM

Papa Fernandez at Gonzaga Bay is safe and secure. As McFez says, north of there just about any road to the water can be a good camp spot though you are on your own.

mrfatboy - 5-24-2014 at 06:24 AM

Does anybody know the nightly cost for camping at Nuevo Mazatlan?

bajabuddha - 5-24-2014 at 06:36 AM

I was just gonna add, bring plenty of dolares or pesos with you. Now the highway is in, the prices are as steep as some of the grades on Hwy 1. I believe the prices at Nuevo Mazatlán are around $20 a night, and that is without any hook-ups (water may be available). Average for the whole strip, anyway. Fishing? You'll be dealing with relatively much higher tides than you're used to also, and lots of deep sand. Where there's a will, there's a way (or a lawsuit and relatives). If it's surf-casting you do, watch at low-tide for structure and moss, and hit at high tide.

mrfatboy - 5-24-2014 at 07:27 AM

Do you know if that $20 is pet car or per site? I know percebu was/is $25 per site with 2-3 cars. Punta Estrella was $25 per car. Campo Beluga (Gonzaga) is $25 per site.

bajabuddha - 5-24-2014 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
Do you know if that $20 is pet car or per site? I know percebu was/is $25 per site with 2-3 cars. Punta Estrella was $25 per car. Campo Beluga (Gonzaga) is $25 per site.

Ah, I see prices are increasing (NOOO!!! :O ) Usually, it's by the vehicle, and 2-3 people; additional people the cost generally increases by the head. (The RV park just south of Maneadero on Hwy 1 has a reasonable price, until you find out it's PER PERSON; then becomes outrageous. And, they won't come wash your sheets in the morning). Now the new highway is in, you can expect U.S. prices, if not higher, for the future.

rts551 - 5-24-2014 at 08:13 AM

20-25 per night with very little facilities. A San Felipe Hotel is how much?

chuckie - 5-24-2014 at 08:23 AM

I got a great SF motel for about 35 bucks....2 months ago

mrfatboy - 5-24-2014 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

I have thought the same thing. But it isn't as fun :). Btw, what is the name of the motel you stayed at?

mcfez - 5-25-2014 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I have thought the same thing. But it isn't as fun :). Btw, what is the name of the motel you stayed at?

North of town 5 miles.....pass the ED and there are three or four Motels that are less than 40 bucks. But that aint beach camping :-(

rts551 - 5-25-2014 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Quote:
Quote:

North of town 5 miles.....pass the ED and there are three or four Motels that are less than 40 bucks. But that aint beach camping :-(

ED?????You need to go see a doctor for that.

mcfez - 5-25-2014 at 08:05 AM

ED = The el dorado

VD = you need to stay away from cheap tricks

bajabuddha - 5-25-2014 at 08:10 AM

Beach camping: I have a theory on 'Earth Compaction'. One morning I woke up and said, ''oh shucks (sp), gravity works!''. The earth is compacting itself by gravity much like packing a snowball. The same sandy beaches I camped on for years are now MUCH harder than they used to be... so a nice soft mattress and somebody else to do the laundry is sometimes a more favorable alternative. Not that i'm getting older or nuthin'..........

chuckie - 5-25-2014 at 09:31 AM

YES!

David K - 5-25-2014 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Beach camping: I have a theory on 'Earth Compaction'. One morning I woke up and said, ''oh shucks (sp), gravity works!''. The earth is compacting itself by gravity much like packing a snowball. The same sandy beaches I camped on for years are now MUCH harder than they used to be... so a nice soft mattress and somebody else to do the laundry is sometimes a more favorable alternative. Not that i'm getting older or nuthin'..........

Good one!

As for Nuevo Mazatlan, the price began at $5/night... but everything was cheaper in the 60's & 70's, right?

As for it being $20-25, that is pretty much the rate, but if you have multiple cars in the same group, negotiate for a discount. Arvada George did when his big group camped there a few years ago.

Nuevo Mazatlan is unique in that it is 'forest' camping next to a huge sand beach. Camp founder Luis Castellanos Moreno in the late 1960's planted cuttings from a nearby salt cedar tree and grew the forest to provide shaded camping... It is very special indeed.

Last time I actually camped there was in August, 2006 when the tide was so high, Shell Island was an island big time:

http://vivabaja.com/806/

Ribbonslinger - 5-25-2014 at 10:46 AM

We stayed one night at neuvo mazatlan. It was $25 with cold showers poor quality toilets and salty water. I don,t mind paying the going rate if you get something for it. There is one site right on the beach that was very nice and the beach is great. If I was you I would keep going to Punta finale. It costs $12 and you get nothing but a pit toilet. But if you have kayaks this place is a must see! Lots of remote beaches in the inlet south of the camp spot. Great exploring in the inlet, good hiking. There is a salt water lake back there is you are adventurous. We had a school of hammerhead sharks in there in January that was a little interesting in a kayak with 4" of freeboard. Jose is the Mexican host there. Drive past the first sign and go right to the beach. He can get water for you if you need it.

David K - 5-25-2014 at 11:54 AM

You get the location and the forest of trees.

I would agree that a Gonzaga Bay area camp would provide clearer water than one by San Felipe. Punta Final sounds great, but very little is published about them being much more than a private home area (like Alfonsina's), but without the motel and restaurant???

http://puntafinal.com/
hundreds of photos: http://puntafinal.com/puntafinalpictures.html

sancho - 5-25-2014 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
so a nice soft mattress and somebody else to do the laundry is sometimes a more favorable alternative. Not that i'm getting older or nuthin'..........

I've hit a wall of sorts with the wife after 30 + yrs. tent
camping Baja, Sierras. Now I have to throw in some sort of
bribe as an enhancement. I fear the time is close when
I have to retire the Coleman stuff

mcfez - 5-25-2014 at 03:03 PM

This SALT lake, located a few miles from Punta Final, is not connected to the sea and continued evaporation has dramatically increased the salinity level. You might shrivel up from from the high salt content, but it would be tough to drown.

The best area for camping (primitive). One can spend weeks down here at PF. Store is about 30 minutes away. Village (mostly Americans) is 5 minutes. No crowds. No showers. No tele. No nothing...just the way I like it!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I would agree that a Gonzaga Bay area camp would provide clearer water than one by San Felipe. Punta Final sounds great, but very little is published about them being much more than a private home area (like Alfonsina's), but without the motel and restaurant???

[Edited on 5-25-2014 by mcfez]

David K - 5-25-2014 at 05:22 PM

Sounds almost like Shell Island, just 75 miles further south! Thanks for the data, Deno!

JoelovesBaja - 5-26-2014 at 11:39 AM

I just visited Papa Fenandez with my 11 year old son. I also drove to Alfonsinas and El Sacrificio so my son could see the places. I feel alfonsinas is now crowded, the poker run was giong on this weekend. Sacrificio is quite and has some two nice size palapas for 20 bucks per night/car. They also have mobile (small) home for rent with two beds and a bathroom/shower for $80 bucks.

We camped at P Fernadez, it was quite because the palapas a separate( over a hill) from the huoses and boat lauch area. They have a reataurat the is OK, but plate cost 8.00 in avrage.

David K - 5-26-2014 at 11:44 AM

Did you visit Rancho Grande or Campo Beluga? They are the campgrounds just south of Alfonsina's. I think Beluga has the most going for it as a camping only location on the bay.

mrfatboy - 5-26-2014 at 03:31 PM

$80 for el sacraficio????? Ay carumba!!! That's a lot for a chance to be eaten by the chupacabra or fall into their septic tank. LoL

For $40 I stayed in a 5 star (true 5 star) in Aswan, Egypt. That was in 2008 when Obama was god to them. ;)

Camp Beluga for me!!!!

I do want to visit that salt lake mc fez posted about. Oct will be my next chance.

I was supposed to be Camp Beluga right now but had to cancel due our house once again getting hit by the wild fires 2 weeks ago. Doing the clean up now.

Mango Margie's by the pool will have to do ;)

David K - 5-26-2014 at 06:28 PM

That $80 bucks is for one of their 'sportsman's cabins' with a rag for a shower head... but it has AC. It was less $ in 2011, and we jammed out of there for Baja Cactus for real luxury at less money.

Here is a El Sacrificio $80 cabin as it appeared in 2011 (the shirtless guy was the 'hotel' manager):

[Edited on 5-27-2014 by David K]

mrfatboy - 5-27-2014 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

This SALT lake, located a few miles from Punta Final, is not connected to the sea and continued evaporation has dramatically increased the salinity level. You might shrivel up from from the high salt content, but it would be tough to drown.

The best area for camping (primitive). One can spend weeks down here at PF. Store is about 30 minutes away. Village (mostly Americans) is 5 minutes. No crowds. No showers. No tele. No nothing...just the way I like it!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

[Edited on 5-25-2014 by mcfez]

Can somebody point out where the salt lake is on the map? It would be something different to do and see down there.

David K - 5-28-2014 at 07:57 AM

Quote:

Can somebody point out where the salt lake is on the map? It would be something different to do and see down there.

See it over on the right (east) side of the point...

mrfatboy - 5-28-2014 at 08:14 AM

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that was it. What's the best way to get there? Is there a coastal route or do you have to take the main inland road and cut in?

David K - 5-28-2014 at 12:09 PM

You got to use a boat! Of course Graham Mackintosh did walk to it!!

BajaDanD - 5-29-2014 at 11:25 AM

I was at Punta final last week. To get to the salt lake you need a boat. I tried with a quad to no avail. took the boat out and had motor problems so stayed close to camp. We camped in the last cove you can reach by car. The one through the gate. Caught a nice sized Cabrilla (sp) from shore. It was hot as Hell but the water was nice. Watched thousands of Humbolt squid swim right up to the beach and die. They came in waves of 50-100 at a time for hours. We had lots of fun trying to rescue them but they would swim right back to shore and crawl out of the water. We had 3 coyotes in our campsite every night that was fun too. during the day there were about 10 vultures sitting on the ground about 50ft from our camp site. probably waiting for us to die from the heat.

Alm - 5-29-2014 at 11:59 AM

Quote:

$39 Chula Vista. Almost there. I would rather not have good roads in Baja.

Ateo - 12-24-2014 at 11:50 AM

Anyone know if there are dog friendly hotels in the Puertecitos/gonzaga stretch south of San Felipe? Alfonsinas just told me no perros.

David K - 12-24-2014 at 03:21 PM

Jon, sounds like you haven't been down that side (no surf after all)?

Unless something else pops up, I think this is it for now...

This is pretty remote, no cities... new highway will change that. Other than private home vacation rentals (at Rancho Percebu and other campos):

PUERTECITOS: Rustic 'motel', 52 miles south of San Felipe.
PUNTA BUFEO: Rustic 'motel', 5 miles north of Gonzaga Bay.
ALFONSINA'S: Modern motel, by Baja standards, location sells it.
EL SACRIFICIO, between Alfonsina's and Punta Final: Cabins.

Not sure on the open status of Puertecitos or Punta Bufeo. Hopefully Nomads will add to this data base.