BajaNomad

Kayaking (& camping) at Cabo Pulmo?

Whale-ista - 5-25-2014 at 12:35 AM

How are the kayaking conditions at Cabo Pulmo? Any restrictions on use of kayaks in the national Park areas?

I plan to bring a small sit on top kayak designed for light conditions to paddle around and explore the reef in June.

Would that be sufficient for this area or does it have any strong currents I should be aware of? I've never been to this area so I'm not familiar with water conditions.

Thank you for any suggestions/recommendations.

[Edited on 5-25-2014 by Whale-ista]

El Jefe - 5-25-2014 at 08:50 AM

A kayak is perfect for the area. Keep an eye on the wind, although there should not be a lot in June and bring lots of water to drink. Try the beach at Los Arbolitos just south of Pulmo for a great launch site close to many wonderful snorkeling opportunities. There are palapas you can get under for shade and bathrooms. The man there will collect a small fee for maintenance.

Sidamone - 5-25-2014 at 09:48 AM

Keep an eye out for the Southern Cross just before light.

Whale-ista - 5-25-2014 at 10:31 AM

thank you Jefe and Sidamone- I appreciate your helpful suggestions.

jbcoug - 5-25-2014 at 10:38 AM

Thanks nomads, this is a great bit of information!

Whale-ista - 5-25-2014 at 10:53 AM

Jefe- sounds nice. Can you overnight camp there as well or is it day use only?

Also, do the owners/residents nearby appreciate visitors bringing any supplies that are hard to get in that area? (I used to deliver items to friends in San Ignacio lagoon before the road was paved. Maybe this area is more accessible than I realize).

It's been m-a-n-y years since I've been in this part of Baja so I'm looking forward to exploring beaches, snorkeling reefs etc.

I just don't know what to expect regarding campsites.

thank you again!

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
A kayak is perfect for the area. Keep an eye on the wind, although there should not be a lot in June and bring lots of water to drink. Try the beach at Los Arbolitos just south of Pulmo for a great launch site close to many wonderful snorkeling opportunities. There are palapas you can get under for shade and bathrooms. The man there will collect a small fee for maintenance.

tiotomasbcs - 5-25-2014 at 12:51 PM

Watch out for Nessie? ha, ha. And vagrant, gypsy surfers! Think Zacatitos has a strong encampment, eh Jefe?!:rolleyes: Tio

JoelovesBaja - 5-26-2014 at 11:44 AM

Does any one have a map pinpointing campo pulmo?

Udo - 5-26-2014 at 12:06 PM

Just drive south from LA Ribera via the waterfront dirt road, or drive to the paved entrance to La Ribera, just outside of town. Then head south for about 8 miles.
You can't miss it!

El Jefe - 5-26-2014 at 12:45 PM

There is no over nighting at Los Arbolitos as far as I know. They have a chain across the access road at night. However just south of the turnoff to Arbolitos is Los Frailes. There is lots of open camping there. And further south there are many beautiful open beaches for camping. People camp out this way all the time. Just use normal precautions like not leaving your stuff around while gone etc. Same as you would do anywhere.

Keep in mind that there are no services and no stores in the area. So bring everything you will need in your camp.